College Football: 2016 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 314 comments
Speaking of coaching, Jim Harbaugh was none too pleased with how the game was officiated. He may get himself an early Christmas present of getting fined for criticizing the officials in the Michigan at Ohio State game.

Basketball on grass! Pittsburgh at Syracuse ended up as a 76-61 score in favor of Pittsburgh. It is told to be the highest-scoring game in NCAA FBS history. Both teams used to be in the Big East for all sports. These two FOOTBALL teams played an absolutely bonkers game where defense didn't mean anything. People on Twitter couldn't believe this was a football game.

I was going to say initially it was the highest-scoring game in ACC history, not NCAA history. Because when I Think of highest-scoring games, I think of when Georgia Tech defeated Cumberland College 222-0 with John Heisman as coach of GT. Still a crazy game no matter how you look at it.

What is the price for criticising officials? Just ask Jim Harbaugh, whose bank account is now $10K USD light after being fined by the NCAA for his comments after Michigan's loss at Ohio State.

This week is mostly marked with conference championship games across a number of different conferences. With the next College Football Playoff rankings due tomorrow, we'll see where everybody stands at present. This coming Sunday will be the last of the rankings as the CFP will be set. So we are coming up on the last chance to stake your claim in the CFP.

Good luck to all of your team(s) this week, especially those still playing or are going to play in the conference championship games.

I came across a really interesting article from Bleacher Report today. It goes into the struggles that a lot of coaches have to deal with upon taking over a program and the ethical dilemmas faced regarding cheating and risky recruits. I'll link it here. Terry Bowden's viewpoint in particular is interesting to me.

Let's update the College Football Playoff rankings one last time on a Tuesday. The next rankings will be the final rankings this Sunday. Here are the Playoff teams as of right now...

--- Top 4: Nov. 29, 2016 ---
01: Alabama
02: Ohio State
03: Clemson
04: Washington

--- First 2 Out: Nov. 29, 2016 ---
05: Michigan
06: Wisconsin

So Crash's Washington Huskies get some Top 4 love. Remember- the Playoff will be set this Sunday. But for now, what do you make of these rankings?

Some of the Conference Championship action is going on right now. Enjoy these games and good luck to your favorite teams.

I haven't been on GTP in a little bit, but it's been an incredible season to get to the Pac 12 Chanpionships, and I had never imagined they would be at where they are at now. Thanks @JohnBM01 for the shoutout throughout the season.

I am Purple and Gold. Let Purple reign again.

Ford Field is usually home to the Detroit Lions of the NFL. On Friday, it was used to host the unbeaten Western Michigan Broncos and the Ohio Bobcats for the MAC Championship. Yeah- MACtion, baby! MACtion satisfaction. Western Michigan barely held on to defeat Ohio 29-23. So the Broncos are still unbeaten. And unless Alabama fails in the SEC Championship game, WMU will head into whatever Bowl with a chance to finish the entire season undefeated. They still won't even get any kind of Playoff consideration unless complete chaos happens.

Levi's Stadium is usually home to the San Francisco 49ers of the NFL; but unlike the Niners this 2016 NFL season, two winners pulled into Santa Clara to determine the Pac-12 champions. It was the Washington Huskies of the Pac-12 North against the Colorado Buffaloes of the Pac-12 South. This one was a total beat down administered by Washington. 41-10 was the thumping Crash's Huskies put on the Buffs. Now Washington will have to see how the College Football Playoff alignments go to see if they'll be among the Top 4 or if they'll fall out.

Plenty more Conference Championship games to come, including the continuation of the playoffs in other divisions of the NCAA and maybe a few other extra games on the weekend. So enjoy Saturday!

What a boring college playoff, I feel like Penn State should have been in it. I guess go Washington?

I really hope they expand it out to 8 teams in the near future, that would at least make it interesting enough to follow.

It's really sad that Penn State was 8-balled by the rankings. OSU was probably in regardless of their result vs. Michigan as well. The Big game was the actual conference championship in all but name.

Only four can play for the NCAA FBS National Championship. Which four, though? Meet your Playoff Four:

1: Alabama
2: Clemson
3: Ohio State
4: Washington

When New Year's Eve rolls around, these four teams will battle to play for the title. So Alabama vs. Washington will be one match, and the other will be Clemson vs. Ohio State. Get ready for two heavyweight fights come New Year's Eve!

This was an odd committee choice as a whole, but it honestly was what I expected it to be. The committee has a lot to explain, and Ohio State being in is the least of it.

It's the greatest honor any one college football player can achieve. And to some people, it's the most overrated, self-gloating award in all of sports. What is it? It's the Heisman Trophy. Besides a lot of the college football awards to be handed out, the big one is the one showcased at the Downtown Athletic Club in New York City. It's the trophy named in the honor of John Heisman. Who will be the Heisman Trophy winner this season? Lamar Jackson is the big favorite.

Not much other college football action will happen this week except for all the non-NCAA FBS playoff action. Of course, there's the Army-Navy Game played this year in Baltimore. Navy owns Army in football. But really, no matter who wins or loses this year's rendition of this classic rivalry, the real winners are the men and women who protect this great nation home and abroad. Certainly worth checking out even just to see Army and Navy talk smack to each other.

That's all. Hope you enjoy whatever college football action takes place this week. To see the Bowl Game schedule, here's one courtesy of Yahoo! Sports: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/complete-2016-17-college-football-205540846.html . My Houston Cougars will battle the Aztecs of San Diego State in the Las Vegas Bowl on December 17th.

[UPDATE] Lamar Jackson, not Lamar Miller as I previously typed. Changes made.

Last edited:
I mentioned the Heisman Trophy. These are the finalists:

* Lamar Jackson (QB, Louisville)
* Jabrill Peppers (LB, Michigan)
* Deshaun Watson (QB, Clemson)
* Baker Mayfield (QB, Oklahoma)
* Dede Westbrook (WR, Oklahoma)

Lamar Jackson is the presumptive favorite. However, we'll see who wins it proper this Saturday.

Baylor signs Temple Head Coach Matt Rhule to same position. Making Temple relevant again is a strong statement, back-to-back 10 win seasons there? Why haven't I been hearing more about this guy?

ESPN claims he knows how to handle the religious side of the school. They also claim the 7 year deal is so he can "Drain the pool and start over". I think they're full of it, but lets see if Baylor ever returns to prominence.

Also, FIVE nominee's? They are required to have three, so either Jackson REALLY hurt his stock, or the field couldn't separate from each other, Mayfield and Westbrook lead me to think the latter.

Well, I personally like Jabrill Peppers. It's like, is there anything this guy CAN'T do? So my money would be on Lamar Jackson or Jabrill Peppers. However, I think Jackson will probably win the Heisman.

I really hope Jabrill wins it too, there are better players sure but there's not anyone so versatile while being so good.

I would be remiss if I failed to honor a legend stepping away from college football. He still will be calling various other action for CBS. Verne Lundquist is as much a legend in calling action as another legend who stepped down this year- Vin Scully. Looking back on Verne Lundquist, courtesy of CBS Sports: http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ge-football-bids-farewell-to-verne-lundquist/

All I can say is... thank you, Verne Lundquist.

University of Houston football fans, get to know your new head coach- Major Applewhite. The Offensive Coordinator for Houston was promoted to being the head cheese for Houston Cougars' football. I don't know... I like this hire. It isn't like going from a hatchback to a supercar, but I do think this hire by UH will keep U. of Houston relevant for quite some time.

A lot of FCS playoff games today starting with NDSU/SDSU (aka the @TB probably won't get anything done because he will probably be watching the Bison play game). Also, the Army/Navy game will be played today as well. This will be the last football game that Verne Lundquist will call before he retires.

A lot of FCS playoff games today starting with NDSU/SDSU (aka the @TB probably won't get anything done because he will probably be watching the Bison play game).
Unfortunately it's on ESPN instead of NBC like most of their other games and I don't have cable/satellite. Highlight reel afterwards for me!

We're supposed to do a renovation for the football locker room and we have a lot of other stuff going on so we want them to keep winning so we don't have to start yet. :lol:

TB
Unfortunately it's on ESPN instead of NBC like most of their other games and I don't have cable/satellite. Highlight reel afterwards for me!

We're supposed to do a renovation for the football locker room and we have a lot of other stuff going on so we want them to keep winning so we don't have to start yet. :lol:
Never fails that I go to make a joke and then become it anyway.:lol:
If you can get it, try 740AM radio. If Wikipedia is accurate (and knowing Wiki, it probably isn't, but still) they should carry the call as an ESPN Radio affiliate.

Speaking of NCAA FCS, one of my beloved FCS schools- Sam Houston State- got meat grinded at James Madison. The Dukes beat the Bearkats 65-7. Kind of a fun/weird story is that some people from SHSU weren't able to make it to graduation. So on a plane, some of those Bearkat graduates got their degrees some... 37K feet above the ground. Cool, huh?

If you can believe it, Army is leading Navy right now. That's right- this is NOT a typo. It's actually happening. Army leads 14-10 with some 5 or 4 minutes left in the 3rd Quarter last I checked. Army hasn't defeated Navy since 2001(?).

Don't forget- we got the 2016 Heisman Trophy to hand out! I want Jabrill Peppers to win, but the big favorite is Lamar Jackson.

Have a great Saturday, folks!

It was 21-17 as the United States Military Academy (Army) finally defeated the United States Naval Academy. It is Army's first win over Navy since 2001. The streak is over as #25 Navy got taken down.

And JUST WRAPPED UP...

...congratulations to your 2016 Heisman Trophy winner- Lamar Jackson (QB, Lousville)!

That's all. Thanks for reading! Oh, and congratulations to North Dakota State beating South Dakota State as the NCAA FCS playoffs continue.

Yeah, they were. But then too, so were my beloved Houston Cougars, who Navy defeated earlier this season at home. Houston seemed a bigger threat at the time than Navy. Navy was pretty banged up heading into today's game against Army.

Remember a fellow named Charlie Strong? Well, the former Texas head coach accepted the head coaching job at the University of South Florida. So he's going from Longhorns to Bulls. South Florida does have a good football program, so I think this will surely help USF. Plus, he shouldn't be under incredible pressure at USF like he was when he coached at Texas. It means my Houston Cougars will have to match up against Charlie Strong since both Houston and South Florida play in the American Athletic Conference.

Back