College Football: 2016 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 314 comments
That's crazy. I hope Minnesota sorts this out as best as possible.

Earlier today, I saw highlights of Mary Hardin-Baylor defeating Mount Union to play in the Stagg Bowl. The Stagg Bowl is the National Championship game in NCAA Division 3 Football. Mount Union is almost basically a lock to make the National Championship in D3. Not this year, unfortunately. Mary Hardin-Baylor (a Texas school) won 14-12 against the Purple Raiders of Mount Union University. The NCAA D3 National Championship will be between the Mary Hardin-Baylor Crusaders and the Wiscosin-Oshkosh Titans. (What I read on Twitter) this is the first time since 2004 that neither Mount Union nor Wisconsin-Whitewater will play for the National Championship in NCAA D3 football. By the way, Mount Union was the defending champion of NCAA D3 football.

This Saturday is the start of the Bowl Game season. You all get psyched to see these teams play in these Bowl games. This will be the deal between now and when the major Bowl games take form. So enjoy all the college football action moving forward!

Earlier today, I saw highlights of Mary Hardin-Baylor defeating Mount Union to play in the Stagg Bowl. The Stagg Bowl is the National Championship game in NCAA Division 3 Football. Mount Union is almost basically a lock to make the National Championship in D3. Not this year, unfortunately. Mary Hardin-Baylor (a Texas school) won 14-12 against the Purple Raiders of Mount Union University. The NCAA D3 National Championship will be between the Mary Hardin-Baylor Crusaders and the Wiscosin-Oshkosh Titans. (What I read on Twitter) this is the first time since 2004 that neither Mount Union nor Wisconsin-Whitewater will play for the National Championship in NCAA D3 football. By the way, Mount Union was the defending champion of NCAA D3 football.

...I...I don't know what shocks me more, Mount Union losing TWO games this year or that Mary Hardin-Baylor had a football program at all, much less a title contender.

On top of that, I think Mary Hardin-Baylor is undefeated even with their win over Mount Union. Now imagine if the Crusaders of MHB knock off Wisconsin-Oshkosh in the Stagg Bowl. That would be crazy awesome for Mary Hardin-Baylor. I knew they had a program because Mary Hardin-Baylor did play in the D3 National Championship game some time back in the 2000s. I think they took on Mount Union and lost.

But yeah- teams have good seasons and bad ones. If Mount Union could have cracks in their foundation (so to speak), then ANYONE could have their fair share of rough luck... even including (potentially) if North Dakota State slips up somehow. Or a team can be very good yet get smashed. Just ask Sam Houston State getting demolished at James Madison in the 2016 FCS Playoffs.

It is surprising, though, that Mount Union would stub their toes this much. It happens...

Heads up! On ESPNU, the NCAA Division 3 Football National Championship will take place in mere moments. It will be the Crusaders of Mary Hardin-Baylor against the Wisconsin-Oshkosh Titans. It's the first D3 National Championship game since 2004 not involving Mount Union or Wisconsin-Whitewater. Enjoy the Stagg Bowl, folks!

Enjoy all of the college football action tonight and when the Bowl game season begins proper.

Either Mary Hardin-Baylor or Wisconsin-Oshkosh will win their first National Championship in football. It was the Mary Hardin-Baylor Crusaders who won tonight 10-7. The Texas school (UMHB based in Belton, TX) took down the Titans of Wisconsin-Oshkosh and finish the season unbeaten at 14-0(?). All congratulations to the Crusaders of the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor.

Great news for Mary Hardin-Baylor... not so great in Fargo, ND; as the James Madison Dukes defeated the North Dakota State Bison 27-17. NDSU's streak of 22 straight playoff game wins is snapped. The five-time defending champions finally were dethroned. This is the first time the Bison have bowed out of the FCS Playoffs since 2010. All good things must come to an end, sadly.

Remember- Bowl season begins tomorrow!

The college football Bowl games are here! The fun begins today with all of the non-major matches. We go all the way to the major games starting around New Year's Eve. Enjoy the ride, folks!

On a different note... earlier today, the University of Minnesota have reportedly ended their boycott. So the troubled Holiday Bowl will go on as promised on December 27.

That's all. Good luck to all of your team(s) if they are playing in the postseason.

UTSA scores the first points of the Bowl season. A FG in their 1st ever bowl game. Pretty good considering the program is 6 years old.....wait, what's SMU's excuse then?

Edit: nevermind the first line. I didn't know Grambling v. NC Central was already going.

Last edited:
Probably something about how the death penalty was too harsh despite that happening 30 years ago. Penn State getting a punishment that some pundits called worse than the death penalty (I don't agree with that view, but still) and then going on to with a conference championship a few years later really put a dent in that argument.

The University of Houston's 2016 season ends in disappointment. We failed hard- 34-10 to San Diego State in the Las Vegas Bowl. This season could have been so much more had it not been for the whole coaching deal. We were up 10-6 at the half. Houston scored first. So basically, we went all in and lost big. Terrible shame for UH. Then too, it was the first season for Coach Major Applewhite. It will be a tough transition for UH going from being a possible playoff party crasher to a slightly disappointing would-be contender.

Elsewhere... "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!" The NCAA Division 2 Football National Championship was between two #1 seeds- the North Alabama (Florence, Alabama) Lions vs. the Northwest Missouri State (Maryville, Missouri) Bearcats all played out in Kansas City, KS; home to Sporting Kansas City of Major League Soccer. Winning 29-3 on this pitch in a different kind of football was Northwest Missouri State. The game was played with a temperature of 11°F and a wind chill of -6. Those are conditions most of us here in Texas or in the American Southeast would find unbearable. Anyhow, the Bearcats of Northwest Missouri State are now two-time defending Division 2 football champions. Northwest Missouri State's coach, Adam Dorrel is now one of three coaches in NCAA Division 2 to have won three National Championships with one school. So... *cue wrestling ring announcer* "here is your winner, and still D2 champions... Northwest Missouri State!"

Congratulations to all other Bowl game winners and non-FBS playoff games.

In only a few days, we will be wondering who all will play for a National Championship. The College Football Playoff will have the matches of Alabama vs. Washington and Ohio State vs. Clemson. Many people probably likely have Alabama vs. Clemson as their CFP final. I have nothing against Alabama or anything, but I actually would be interested seeing a Washington vs. Clemson final. We'll find out what the National Championship Game will be once these semifinal matches in college football concludes.

On a somber note, my thoughts and prayers go out in loving memory of LaVell Edwards. He was the coach of Brigham Young University and coached the BYU Cougars to the 1984 National Championship. Edwards made the College Football Hall of Fame and National Football Foundation Hall of Fame in 2004. Edwards was 86 years old at his passing. More info: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/legendary-byu-coach-lavell-edwards-dies-at-age-86-182113668.html

Keep enjoying those Bowl games! Good luck to all of your favorite teams, as always.

I'm kind of looking forward to the Orange Bowl match between Michigan and Florida State. That should be a pretty good game. On right now is the Music City Bowl between Nebraska and #21 Tennessee.

It's going to end up being Alabama and Clemson isn't it? That might be the most unexciting championship I can think of. At least OSU isn't going to win since they didn't belong there in the first place, how you can make it to the playoff and not win your conference is something I don't understand. It should be Penn State losing that game right now.

It's looking exactly like that, Joey D. If Ohio State gets shut out in this game, maybe some will see it as karma for how certain Michigan fans think Michigan got screwed late with the Michigan at Ohio State game. It's also rare to see Ohio State get blanked on the scoreboard considering this being one of the most winning programs in all of college football.

[OMISSION] Sorry about your Washington Huskies, Crash. Congrats to UW on a great season.

JUST WRAPPED UP...

Clemson blanks Ohio State 31-0. 194 games, 15 seasons, Urban Meyer NEVER shut out as an FBS coach until tonight. Great shame if you're an Ohio State fan. So we got Alabama vs. Clemson on January 9, 2017 to determine the National Champs on the NCAA FBS level. Get psyched!

The trash talk page I'm a part of on Facebook is absolutely trolling the hell out of Ohio State right fans right now. I find it glorious to watch since the Ohio State fans have trash talked everyone all year.

I read on Twitter that Ohio State was never blanked in a football game since 1993 against Michigan. THE Ohio State's epic fail against Clemson on New Year's Eve 2016 was the first time in so long that Ohio State got blanked. Some of us GTPlaneteers were probably born some time after Michigan shut out Ohio State in 1993.

So your National Championship is Alabama vs. Clemson. It's a rematch of last year's National Championship game. Alabama's only opposition is itself. I do tend to have a soft spot for Clemson, so I am kind of wanting the Tigers to finally emerge and win their first title since 1981. From what I've seen from the Alabama vs. Washington game, the Washington Huskies had some moments to make the game closer than the final score indicated. They just couldn't capitalize on certain errors by Alabama. Maybe Clemson could watch how Washington played to find a way to trip up Alabama in the title game next Monday.

It should still be a great game for when Alabama and Clemson meet in Tampa Bay next Monday night.

I didn't see all of the 2017 Rose Bowl Game, but I still remember watching the epic 2006 Rose Bowl Game between Texas and USCal. All congratulations to USCal on their win over Penn State. Elsewhere... congratulations to Western Michigan on a great season, though one win short of an undefeated season as they fell to Wisconsin. Florida whacked Iowa real good in the Outback Bowl.

When I was watching "College Football Live," I saw a stat saying that the only time Ohio State has been shut out in a Bowl game prior to their College Football Playoff semifinal against Clemson, it was against California in the 1920 Rose Bowl. My grandmother wasn't even born then! It was still a sad sight to see the Buckeyes just not show up against Clemson.

We will crown the NCAA FBS champions this coming Monday night. Today, we crown the NCAA FCS champions. And unfortunately this season, it WON'T be North Dakota State. It will instead either be the Youngstown State Penguins or the James Madison Dukes. The game will be played in Frisco, TX.

Congratulations to whomever wins the NCAA FCS National Championship today.

Yesterday in Frisco, Texas; it was a 28-14 victory for James Madison as they won the 2016 NCAA FCS National Championship. They defeated the Youngstown State Penguins. So congratulations to the Dukes on their triumph.

Remember that we crown the NCAA FBS champs tomorrow night in Tampa Bay. It's the Alabama Crimson Tide vs. the Clemson Tigers. A rematch of last season's National Championship game. Will Alabama defend successfully, or will the Clemson Tigers finally figure out a way to knock off Alabama? All will be answered tomorrow night.

Last year around January 12, 2016; Alabama and Clemson played for the NCAA FBS National Championship. Alabama won. Who will win this year tonight as the same two universities clash again for the National Championship? Nick Saban is chasing history for ALA, and CLEM is hoping to derail the Alabama dynasty.

Good luck to both schools tonight, and congratulations to the National Champions after tonight. Enjoy the game if you will be watching.

The College Football Playoff's National Championship game is still to come, but I want to take a moment to honor the inductees into the 2017 College Football Hall of Fame. Among the many inductees are Steve Spurrier, Marshall Faulk, Adrian Peterson, and Peyton Manning. More info on this year's Hall of Fame class can be procured here: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/marsha...-college-football-hall-of-fame-151138995.html

Once again... the National Championship game between Alabama and Clemson is later tonight.

Back