College Football: 2016 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 314 comments
Hey Rutgers, it would help if you DIDN'T embarrass yourself on National TV. Getting outscored 121-0 in the past two games is too comical.

Let me share a few more musings now...

* Michigan State got blown out by BYU at home. It was 31-14. Sparty couldn't do too much against the Cougars of BYU today.

* Hello, offense! Another loss for Texas. I think I read the 2016 Red River Showdown was the highest-scoring game in the rivalry's history. Oklahoma won 45-40.

* That was a GREAT finish between Tennessee at Texas A&M. I'm going to be honest- I do tend to like Texas A&M, but I wanted Tennessee to win this one. That play where TAMU could have put this game on ice with a romp into the end zone, a Tennessee defender punches the ball out of the cradling arm of the TAMU player to force a Touchback. Then Texas A&M shanks a possible game-winning field goal inside of eight seconds left in the game (and two Ice-the-Kicker timeouts). Texas A&M remains undefeated with a 45-38 Double Overtime victory. So last week, Tennessee remained unbeaten thanks to a million-to-one Hail Mary pass. This week... they finally taste defeat. And guess what? It won't get any easier hosting Alabama next week at Neyland Stadium. I would still be proud of the Volunteers despite the loss. I sympathize with our tbwhhs as well as the rest of Volunteers Nation.

* BOW DOWN TO WASHINGTON! Are you bowing yet? The Washington Huskies are pretty baller this season so far. While they are still playing as of this post, U-Dub is up 62-21 at Oregon with 13:58 left in the 4th Quarter. Man... Oregon's fallen off the map lately.

How about a few NCAA FCS musings? Let me mix things up here...

* The Fordham Rams grounded the Lafayette Leopards 58-34.

* All North Dakota State does is win. Their latest victim? NDSU turned the Bears of Missouri State into teddy bears with a 27-3 whacking at Missouri State.

* I used to be a Lamar University student, so I tend to follow the Lamar Cardinals. They took down the Wildcats of Abilene Christian 38-10 today at Abilene Christian.

* The Northwestern State Demons sinned all over the Panthers of Kentucky Wesleyan 49-7.

* I have to imagine what the atmosphere was like at Nicholls State as the Colonels downed the Lumberjacks of Stephen F. Austin State 35-28 in Double Overtime.

And just wrapped up as I was going to post this...

Michigan whacked Rutgers 78-0 at Rutgers. Wolverines ain't never scared of no Scarlet Knights. Not a good evening in Piscataway, New Jersey for fans of Rutgers University, The State University of New Jersey and the birthplace of college football...

So 136-0 in the past two games for Rutgers. Safe to say that the move to the B1G Ten was a huge success!

Brady Hoke seems to be making a case as to why he should be fired already. I get that the Pac doesn't always play Defense, but it seems like everyone who plays Oregon lights up the scoreboard since he became the DC.

Well like I said before, I didn't have Houston going unbeaten anyways. Even if they did run the table, it was still going to be tough to crash the College Football Playoff party. They probably have as much of a chance to get in as Boise State as far as non Power 5 schools are concerned. I doubt a one-loss American Athletic Conference team would get into the Playoff compared to a one-loss ACC or SEC team. We might probably still be in the picture if the Playoff had eight teams instead of four. I'd be pleased even if we were one of the Last 2 Out.

There's still a lot of season left. We'll see what happens moving forward.

Let me share a few more musings now...

* Michigan State got blown out by BYU at home. It was 31-14. Sparty couldn't do too much against the Cougars of BYU today.

* Hello, offense! Another loss for Texas. I think I read the 2016 Red River Showdown was the highest-scoring game in the rivalry's history. Oklahoma won 45-40.

* That was a GREAT finish between Tennessee at Texas A&M. I'm going to be honest- I do tend to like Texas A&M, but I wanted Tennessee to win this one. That play where TAMU could have put this game on ice with a romp into the end zone, a Tennessee defender punches the ball out of the cradling arm of the TAMU player to force a Touchback. Then Texas A&M shanks a possible game-winning field goal inside of eight seconds left in the game (and two Ice-the-Kicker timeouts). Texas A&M remains undefeated with a 45-38 Double Overtime victory. So last week, Tennessee remained unbeaten thanks to a million-to-one Hail Mary pass. This week... they finally taste defeat. And guess what? It won't get any easier hosting Alabama next week at Neyland Stadium. I would still be proud of the Volunteers despite the loss. I sympathize with our tbwhhs as well as the rest of Volunteers Nation.

* BOW DOWN TO WASHINGTON! Are you bowing yet? The Washington Huskies are pretty baller this season so far. While they are still playing as of this post, U-Dub is up 62-21 at Oregon with 13:58 left in the 4th Quarter. Man... Oregon's fallen off the map lately.

How about a few NCAA FCS musings? Let me mix things up here...

* The Fordham Rams grounded the Lafayette Leopards 58-34.

* All North Dakota State does is win. Their latest victim? NDSU turned the Bears of Missouri State into teddy bears with a 27-3 whacking at Missouri State.

* I used to be a Lamar University student, so I tend to follow the Lamar Cardinals. They took down the Wildcats of Abilene Christian 38-10 today at Abilene Christian.

* The Northwestern State Demons sinned all over the Panthers of Kentucky Wesleyan 49-7.

* I have to imagine what the atmosphere was like at Nicholls State as the Colonels downed the Lumberjacks of Stephen F. Austin State 35-28 in Double Overtime.

And just wrapped up as I was going to post this...

Michigan whacked Rutgers 78-0 at Rutgers. Wolverines ain't never scared of no Scarlet Knights. Not a good evening in Piscataway, New Jersey for fans of Rutgers University, The State University of New Jersey and the birthplace of college football...

I can't really be upset about today's game. Tennessee had 7 turnovers, which is the most they've had in a game since 1971, and the last count I heard was there were 11 Vols injured in the game. When you have that a still only lose on the road to a top 10 team in 2OT, I can live with that result.

It's never good to see someone get carted off the field. Hope that the Tennessee player winds up being okay.

Its being reported that he is flying home with the team tonight.

Ward hadn't thrown an interception all season up to this morning, and I believe the offense hadn't lost a fumble all season up to this morning. Unbelievable. It's like only part of the team showed up to play. I don't even know where the defense was. I guess the rain kept them away. We were this close to proving something to the college football world, the only foreseen obstacle being Louisville, who I believe we can handle if the defense plays like they usually do.
Entering today they had given up a total of 210 rushing yards. They gave up 306 today. THEY COMPLETED THREE PASSES AND TWO WERE TOUCHDOWNS.

Yeah, the defense was nearly Swiss cheese for the Houston Cougars. I almost questioned at times if the rain was too heavy to where you couldn't wrap a guy up. UH got gashed in the secondary often times also. Some passes seemed too easy for Navy to bear down on Houston.

All is not entirely lost for Houston. If Louisville remains productive (as does Houston), the November 17 match between Louisville at Houston can still be remotely enticing. Playoff hopes may not materialize, but there may still be national pride on the line. Remember that UH knocked off Florida State in last season's Peach Bowl. The Coogs are not done by any stretch.

FSU-Miami was a classic again. At the end of the game I said to my uncle, "I bet you they miss the PAT left." Then it got blocked and I lost it. :lol: What a stupid thing.

FSU-Miami was a classic again. At the end of the game I said to my uncle, "I bet you they miss the PAT left." Then it got blocked and I lost it. :lol: What a stupid thing.
Hi jinx!

The University of Houston fell from #6 in the nation to #13 in the nation in the latest AP polls. Their 46-40 loss at Navy on Saturday afternoon basically means the Houston Cougars will need to win out (including beating Louisville) to have even some kind of College Football Playoff hope. The Coogs will host the 4-1 Tulsa Golden Hurricane.

There are two pretty big games this weekend. And no, one of those games is NOT Kansas at #11 Baylor. We got #1 Alabama at #9 Tennessee as one of the big matches this weekend. Tennessee may not have any College Football Playoff hopes if they fail in their game hosting Alabama. Another big game among Top 25 schools is when #2 Ohio State sets it off at the #8 Wisconsin Badgers. So two highly-ranked teams will be on the road. I don't think I could sell this week of college football any more than that.

Good luck to all of your teams this week. Go enjoy this new week of college football.

The SEC announced that the LSU-Florida game that was postponed by Hurricane Matthew will be made up on November 19 in Baton Rouge. To make up for Florida losing a home game, LSU will play at Florida the next 2 seasons.

Best Gameday sign :lol:
hX1QDAF.jpg

Rutgers scored a point..... still lost 24-7. Now 160-7 outscored in past 3 games. The move to the B10 is proving more and more to be a money grab of pointlessness.

Musing time. Let's do it...

* How about North Carolina? They are basically saying "we're not just a basketball school anymore!" They went out to the University of Miami and took down the Hurricanes 20-13.

* Speaking of "we're not just a basketball school," Syracuse took down #17 Virginia Tech 31-17 at the Carrier Dome. So Virginia Tech embarrassed North Carolina last week at their house, and VT gets stunned at the 'Cuse. Funny how the world of college football works, eh?

* Look out for Western Michigan as well. They put on a 41-0 thrashing at the Akron Zips. WMU is 24th in the nation.

* I'm sure our wvumidget is proud seeing the Mountaineers smash visiting Texas Tech 48-17. West Virginia is about No. 17 in the nation, and their No. 1-ranked women's soccer team defeated Texas Tech 1-0 yesterday. So WVU is pretty baller right now.

* Clemson got a scare from North Carolina State. However, the boys of the ACC's Death Valley won 24-17 in Overtime.

* Orange pancakes. No- it's not a mishap at IHOP, but it is what Alabama did in flattening the Tennessee Volunteers in their house. I'm sure the Vols would rather want a rematch against Texas A&M than get whacked 49-10 in their own home against Alabama. Tennessee's Playoff hopes may pretty much be done after this one. There was a moment where an Alabama player sort of celebrated too much by doing some kind of poor gesture to one Vols fan, but nothing was called by the refs.

* GOOD NEWS- Rutgers scored! BAD NEWS- they lost 24-7 against Illinois. Rutgers football hasn't been real significant since when Ray Rice was running all over people. Maybe if there was some more eligibility for Ray Rice, they could use him to give some extra energy to Rutgers' offense. To me, I always respected Rutgers for their women's basketball program especially back when they were in the Big East. Rutgers for now just isn't clicking in B1G football.

* The game between #10 Nebraska at Indiana was pretty good, and the Hoosiers had a chance to upset unbeaten Nebraska. The Cornhuskers, however, held on for a sweet 27-22 victory.

Congratulations to all other winners from this week's games. Hopefully your team(s) was/were on the winning side of the scoreboard.

[UPDATE] -Illinois AT Rutgers, not Rutgers at Illinois as originally posted. Changes made.

Last edited:
My #13 Houston Cougars survived against the Golden Hurricane recently. We won 38-31 as Tulsa had an opportunity to tie with a touchdown (and the P.A.T.). But the Coogs held serve at home. So we're now 6-1 on the 2016 season.

Another musing to share... Michigan State may have hit rock bottom. How so? Michigan State lost at home 54-40 to Northwestern. I'm sure fans from the University of Michigan would be laughing their butts off at the sight of the Michigan State Spartans losing this bad to Northwestern. Northwestern, who lost way earlier this season to NCAA FCS school Illinois State, takes down another team. And can you believe it? Four straight losses for Sparty. Michigan State is also 0-3 in the Big Ten this season. This is the first time(?) Michigan State has started B1G conference play with an 0-3 start under their current head coach. Sparty's next game is at Maryland.

Also, the #23 Arkansas Razorbacks upset the #12 Ole Miss Rebels with a 34-30 win in Fayetteville, AR.

And as of this post... regulation solved nothing between #2 Ohio State at #8 Wisconsin. So Overtime is going to be needed to settle this one. Also as of this post, Ohio State scored a Touchdown and the P.A.T. to lead 30-23 in Overtime.

College football. Got to love it.

PJ Fleck has done a hell of a job at Kalamazoo. He has Western Michigan on a roll.

Ohio State survives against Wisconsin with a last minute stand. 30-23 Buckeyes.

It's also worth noting that Michigan State's loss today was the first time they've allowed 50 points since 1995. Nick Saban was their coach at the time. Fitz is probably a happy man tonight.

If you can believe it, I think I saw a stat on Twitter where they list wins by NCAA FBS teams in Michigan. Central Michigan is the best team in Michigan with seven wins followed by Michigan with six. You know you're an embarrassment in Michigan if even Eastern Michigan has more wins than you. Another stat I saw is that Michigan State has as many losses as the other Michigan schools combined. Some people are even saying Michigan State is a dumpster fire. It's rock bottom pretty much for Sparty. Michigan State is usually more competitive than what's being shown so far this season. Heck at this point, they would even lose to Rutgers. And in case you're wondering, Michigan State hosts Rutgers on November 12.

Michigan State's remaining schedule (dates not posted): at Maryland, Michigan, at Illinois, Rutgers, Ohio State, and at Penn State.

Elsewhere, yes. Ohio State held on in Overtime 30-23 to defeat Wisconsin at Wisconsin. Ohio State's next opponent is at Penn State next Saturday. Wisconsin's next opponent is at Iowa next Saturday.

Oh gosh, way for the Buckeyes to try my nerves! College football overtime just makes me so nervous, but glad we won against another top 10 team today. I'm hearing TTUN will jump us in the polls when they're out though...I probably will throw a fit tbh :P

This is not college, but it is High School. So you think girls can't play football. If this was YouTube, people would offer some kind of kitchen jokes on the thought of a girl playing gridiron football. Well.. try telling that to Kelly Macnamara after she did THIS to this poor guy...

http://coed.com/2016/10/10/kelly-macnamara-kicker-highlight-video-north-penn-high-school-football/

Remember- there are even women hockey players and women rugby players. Girls can be just as tough as guys. I meant to share this some time earlier. Girl power for the win (FTW), right? I don't know much on females on the college front since Katie Hnida at Colorado years ago.

Maybe the biggest game this week is unbeaten #6 Texas A&M going to also unbeaten #1 Alabama. There are no more ties in college football. SOMEBODY has to lose. Somebody will have their first loss of the season. Question is... who? Will the Aggies be undefeated no longer, or will the Crimson Tide be undefeated no longer? We'll find out this Saturday in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

Many more games on the card for this week, but TAMU at ALA is the big one this week. Good luck to all of your teams this week.

Tennessee's bye week is coming at the best time for them, after the Alabama game the number of injured Vols who get at least significant playing time is around 17, or about 20% of the scholarship players.

This is the first time that I can think of that UT fans are ok with losing to Bama. We were missing 6 starters on the defense and 3 more on the offensive line in addition to the players who got hurt in the game. Its hard to compete against a decent team without that many players, and when you play a really good team results like Saturday's is what happens.

Earlier this week, it was reported the Big XII will NOT expand, at least not for now. The Big XII will remain at ten members.

Another note to share is that there are some rumors that maybe the University of Houston will consider a contract extension for their Head Coach Tom Herman. Maybe UH thinks he's a great guy and doesn't want him to jump ship to some other team. Let me remind you of a few recent former coaches of UH's football team: Art Briles and Kevin Sumlin. Both solid coaches (controversy notwithstanding). I think if the University of Houston winds up with a coach other than Tom Herman, the Cougars should be fine on the coaching front.

When you're used to a motorsports announcer, you expect mostly them to cover racing very well. This would be like Bob Varsha or Leigh Diffey calling some of the biggest football games. Could you imagine Bob Varsha doing NFL on FOX or something replacing Joe Buck maybe? I've heard A. Bestwick before call football games. Heck, I even heard Adam Alexander call some football games. But yeah, I do have some love for Mr. Bestwick.

As of now, I kind of am watching unbeaten #6 Texas A&M and also unbeaten #1 Alabama go at it in Tuscaloosa. Life is so unfair. One of these teams have to lose. No more ties in college football for the longest.

Back