Comfort Tires = Professional Level?

• Thread starter why_spyder
  • 237 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
lower horsepower cars I use CH. Higher horsepower and higher RPMs I use SH. With the Lexus LFA can't use comfort tires and have to go with a sports hard. Kinda frustrates me sometimes when hosts won't allow for sport tires. If its an open drift who cares what tires are being used as long as people are drifting.

I am just being honest, the most annoying people in drift rooms are those who complain to the host about tires, check tire restrictions before joining a room.

Frozzy
I am just being honest, the most annoying people in drift rooms are those who complain to the host about tires, check tire restrictions before joining a room.

No, the host should not care what tires or aids you use. I hate going to a room and all aids are off and tire restrictions is on. Sometimes I wanna drive a car which I designed for sports hard tires and I can't because for some reason the host doesn't want me too. Way worse is when the host don't allow any aids. I like having driving line on for reference points especially when I havent drifted at a certain track for a while, but o no I can't cause host doesn't want anyone to use it. The ultimate piss off was when a host puts HP restrictions on cause it's always like 500hp max which makes it so small selection for awesome cars to choose from.

Why are comfort Hard's is the best?

Because they have the least amount of grip and thus creating more wheelspin.

No, the host should not care what tires or aids you use. I hate going to a room and all aids are off and tire restrictions is on. Sometimes I wanna drive a car which I designed for sports hard tires and I can't because for some reason the host doesn't want me too. Way worse is when the host don't allow any aids. I like having driving line on for reference points especially when I havent drifted at a certain track for a while, but o no I can't cause host doesn't want anyone to use it. The ultimate piss off was when a host puts HP restrictions on cause it's always like 500hp max which makes it so small selection for awesome cars to choose from.

The restrictions are set for tandeming ability. Horsepower restrictions set around 500hp forces people to get out of their vipers and into a lower powered car.

Been reading through the thread since someone resurrected it, but warren brings up the biggest question of all that would probably answer question that everyone has been wondering.

This:
To all the people using sport tires, what kind of controller do you use?
Steering wheel or the Dualshock?

Honestly, most people that use a damn wheel to drift on GT5, let alone a wheel that has a shifter and clutch (G25, G27, Fanatec, Thrustmaster, etc) are using comfort tires. Now answer this. About what percentage of GT5 drifters are actually using a wheel?

IMO, about less than 10% are using steering wheels. The other vast majority that use steering wheels don't give a crap about drifting. It's pretty rare that I encounter someone on a wheel online nowadays.

Now I'm not hating on those who use a DS3 to drift, don't get me wrong. But the true skills lie in those who understand on how to control the car in every aspect, not only tires. Sure, with a wheel, its possible to drift with sport tires. But why would a wheel drifter want to do that? It takes a lot of fun out of drifting.

To set the standards, I personally would say everyone should be using CH or CM Tires. Using comforts really set a base line on one's ability to drift. Someone who's using a 240SX to drift can easily maintain a tandem with someone using a dodge viper to drift, as power will no longer be a factor on one's ability to keep up.

But who says one can't drift fast with comfort hards? If you take the correct lines, limit your throttle, and limit the angle your car gets, you can easily speed drift through a corner.

Being able to manipulate your car with whatever tires you have makes a true drifter. Setting a base tire that everyone should use can sort out the good drifters from the bad.

Please do tell me where you got those stats from.

On who uses a steering wheel? It's my perspective of it. Thats why I said IMO.

Just about every room I enter, I scope out who's drifting before I actually enter the course. Those drifting in these rooms, there is sometimes (if any) one drifter in the room that is using a steering wheel drifting online.

The only time I actually see many people drifting with a steering wheel online is in a posted event, usually through here.

EDIT: Or maybe the awesome wheel drifters are in a team and they only drift with teammates or battle with other teams or compete in comps. If you have any idea where most of them are, be sure to let me know because I sure haven't come across many.

On who uses a steering wheel? It's my perspective of it. Thats why I said IMO.

Just about every room I enter, I scope out who's drifting before I actually enter the course. Those drifting in these rooms, there is sometimes (if any) one drifter in the room that is using a steering wheel drifting online.

The only time I actually see many people drifting with a steering wheel online is in a posted event, usually through here.

Ahh yeah little bit a of problem, where you may come from people may not use many wheels but what about where I live? When I go into a normal drifting room maybe more than half of the people are using some sort of wheel.

Your opinion can't really be proved true then.

Ahh yeah little bit a of problem, where you may come from people may not use many wheels but what about where I live? When I go into a normal drifting room maybe more than half of the people are using some sort of wheel.

Your opinion can't really be proved true then.

Probably. Must be nice that you have that ability to enter any drift room and have more than half of the drifters using a wheel. Guess my opinion only is valid towards USA drifters.

Probably. Must be nice that you have that ability to enter any drift room and have more than half of the drifters using a wheel. Guess my opinion only is valid towards USA drifters.

It's something we won't ever find out.

All the top guys for the drift seasonals use controller. Idk why that is as I would assume it would give you more control with a wheel, but I think with drifting it's a little different than racing in this perspective because with racing getting the perfect line is more brake, steer, gas while drifting is all that plus angle, plus handbrake etc. So you can be a little less precise with steering and make up for it with throttle control and other factors.

It doesn't give you more control than a wheel in terms of manipulation. Countersteering is easy as a flick of the stick, and modulating the counter by steering back into the turn to control you drift is as easy as letting off the control stick and going into it again.

I think with the steering wheel, your steering control needs to be more precise, and your body needs to react with to how the car is going into the drift to control it better. It only makes it harder with having a clutch and a 6 speed shifter. Can you imagine doing it with sports tires? Its possible, but it sure isn't fun when drifting in game becomes a chore.

Steering wheel drifters have to compensate for being unable to "feel" the car. We can only visualize that our car is losing traction, while drifting in real life we can visualize and feel when the tires break loose.

Once you figure out how to control your car using a steering wheel, slight inputs into steering and throttle control can change the speed and angle of the car instantly. The clutch comes in handy too if you know how to use it properly. Too bad clutch kicking doesn't give the same effect as doing it in a real car.

The reason why people uses confort tires is because they wear slower than sport tires.
I bet your tires last 2 laps on your overkill 300ZX.

wrong sorry but the reason people use comfort hard n i only use comfort hard is because there the most realistic if u know a few diff teams like me u would realise that they all use comfort hards takes the most skill to drift em n the drifting looks alot better than any other tyres i personally think other tyres are turd

deanleds14
wrong sorry but the reason people use comfort hard n i only use comfort hard is because there the most realistic if u know a few diff teams like me u would realise that they all use comfort hards takes the most skill to drift em n the drifting looks alot better than any other tyres i personally think other tyres are turd

So Comfort Hards are most realistic?

Comfort hard you just tap the gas and the wheels go red. The smallest anything and you get smoke. Beginners usually don't understand throttle control yet and just slam in the gas everywhere which is fine with sport tires because you need more speed to get into a drift but with comfort tires you can drift at slow speeds. Go to fast and you will skid right off the track. It takes a much more skilled person to use them because you have to watch your speed, angle, when to brake, how much to brake, etc but as time goes on you will begin to realize that they are soooo much easier than sports tires. I started in sports and hated comfort tires because I would always spin out. Now I only drive comfort tires and when I go to sports everythig is harder to do since there is more grip so holding a drift is tougher.

it is pretty simple really.

Most drifters use comfort tires, also in tandem.
With other tires, you might be faster or slower carrying the drift through a corner. That way, its impossible to drift at the same speeds.

Second, you could use other tires, but in rooms, if you pop up behind another drifter, with other speeds, accidents happen. We don't want that. You can avoid all of this, by practising comfort tires.

And control... I drift every car of mine on comf hard tires. From my ac 247 with 800 bhp or my sileighty. If you question my control over the ac, send me a pm on psn, or watch this vid: Gonales tsukuba drift (youtube).

ac 427*

I don't know what you guys are smoking, aside from tires... Comfort hard are the easiest tire to drift on not the hardest. Less traction means greater margin for error. If you give it too much throttle, you can compensate by letting off the throttle for a second. With stickier tires such as comfort soft, or sports tires, the margin for error is smaller and you'll have less time to react when you make a mistake.

They are also very unrealistic because they have almost no grip and almost no sidewall flex. Tires like that simply do not exist in real life. You get stiff tires with high grip, or crappy tires with a lot of flex. You don't get stiff tires with crappy grip.

I'm not saying don't use comfort hard. The community seems to have settled on them as the standard for competitions. Just don't fool yourself into thinking they are hard to drift on, or realistic. They're neither.

pergatory
I don't know what you guys are smoking, aside from tires... Comfort hard are the easiest tire to drift on not the hardest. Less traction means greater margin for error. If you give it too much throttle, you can compensate by letting off the throttle for a second. With stickier tires such as comfort soft, or sports tires, the margin for error is smaller and you'll have less time to react when you make a mistake.

They are also very unrealistic because they have almost no grip and almost no sidewall flex. Tires like that simply do not exist in real life. You get stiff tires with high grip, or crappy tires with a lot of flex. You don't get stiff tires with crappy grip.

I'm not saying don't use comfort hard. The community seems to have settled on them as the standard for competitions. Just don't fool yourself into thinking they are hard to drift on, or realistic. They're neither.

There we go that's what im talking about, comfort hards aren't realistic and they are easy to get sideways. They also make you go very slow.

Moving on to CM's is that going up amp up the skill level with drifting a DS3? If possible, could get a tire comparison? Have users use the same vehicle with the same tune but different tires?

Moving on to CM's is that going up amp up the skill level with drifting a DS3? If possible, could get a tire comparison? Have users use the same vehicle with the same tune but different tires?

Im not sure what it will be life with the DS3, If the car has decent enough power I have kept good drifts in Racing hards (messing around).

I've been trying to use CM's regularly to simulate real life, as I watch the burst tandems at meihan and theres no way CH's will stick like that.

I wanna try it in one of my mini comps.

You can't compare real life to GT5 especially for drifting as there are so many other factors involved. Real drift cars have modified chassis and other thing to allow the tire to get better angles, huge hand brakes right in the middle, and many other things that are very different from gt5. The weather and heat of the tarmac will make a huge difference when it comes to grip, but nothing can be done other than rain in gt5. To even everything out using comfort hard are used because they allow the most slide, but have enough grip as long as the rest of the car is set up right.

You can't compare real life to GT5 especially for drifting as there are so many other factors involved. Real drift cars have modified chassis and other thing to allow the tire to get better angles, huge hand brakes right in the middle, and many other things that are very different from gt5. The weather and heat of the tarmac will make a huge difference when it comes to grip, but nothing can be done other than rain in gt5. To even everything out using comfort hard are used because they allow the most slide, but have enough grip as long as the rest of the car is set up right.

No, not all real drift cars have modified chassis. Professional level cars do as they have more money to do it and I assume you mean camber and toe arms to get "better tyre angle".
The handbrake is usually in the middle yes(its hard to reach in the boot) and they can be big or small. The ones you are thinking of are hydraulically powered and therefor more powerful than cable handbrakes.
No offence but it seems to me that you know next to nothing about drifting or drift cars.

No, not all real drift cars have modified chassis. Professional level cars do as they have more money to do it and I assume you mean camber and toe arms to get "better tyre angle".
The handbrake is usually in the middle yes(its hard to reach in the boot) and they can be big or small. The ones you are thinking of are hydraulically powered and therefor more powerful than cable handbrakes.
No offence but it seems to me that you know next to nothing about drifting or drift cars.
Got 'em. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back