Comfort Tires = Professional Level?

• Thread starter why_spyder
  • 237 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, comfort hards give you less control, it just seems like more control because you aren't very good at drifting and make a lot of mistakes that would put you in the wall with stickier tires. In fact, stickier tires give you much better control if you can handle them. Sorry I'm sick of sugar-coating it. Drifting with comfort hards and claiming they are the best is like riding a bike with training wheels and claiming that's the best way to do marathons.

As far as your other points... ability to link corners has nothing to do with tires. Cost is a one-time deal, you don't need to pay for new tires, and it's not like sports tires are expensive anyway. Wear rate... well, yeah they do lose out there, but it's not like sports tires are toast after 10 laps. They last quite a while and if they wear out... you exit the room and enter again for a fresh set.

Chill out, I think when people claim CH are the best they mean for comps only. Just remember this is a game, its not RL and people need to get over that fact. I drift in real life and know Formula D drifters. But I think people having this on going debate over and over and over again about CH's. GET OVER IT PEOPLE, this is a never winning debate. You have your tires you use and love and other people have theirs. Now get over it and move on!

It doesn't even matter....If it works for you great. Like I said I've come around to the fact that different tires for different activities because I participate in Street legal drift and CH-CS tires work for me in that setting.

The 615's are street Legal Motorsport tires per Falkens description on their site. Soft Compound. HIGH GRIP!

It doesn't even matter....If it works for you great. Like I said I've come around to the fact that different tires for different activities because I participate in Street legal drift and CH-CS tires work for me in that setting.

The 615's are street Legal Motorsport tires per Falkens description on their site. Soft Compound. HIGH GRIP!

If you do real drifting how do you base real tires on CH-CS?

And once again quit comparing a video game to real life, cause they are two different things!

80% of my posts on this topic have the disclaimer that I use and support the use of comfort hards for drifting. Why is it when I leave that out of one post, people jump on me saying to chill out? Now you know why my posts end up being a page long when they should only need to be 2 sentences.

I could care less what people use, it's just a game. What pisses me off is people who come here claiming that comfort hards require the most skill, that they are the most difficult tire to drift on, that you should use nothing else, etc.

If that's not your position, my posts are not directed at you.

Just so you guys know, twinturbo on here tested real life compared to GT5 and found CM's to match racing tyres.

Just so you guys know, twinturbo on here tested real life compared to GT5 and found CM's to match racing tyres.

Woo. Someone else who can support what I said a few pages ago.... Or in the other tyre rage thread.

EDIT: Actually KnightSpirit mentioned it in the other thread, but he said Comfort softs..

It's pointless condemning Tyres, it only makes people rage. I see it as this, if you wanna battle/tandem, use A comfort compound. If you wanna mess around go fast and have A laugh, use anything!

The problem with this is that everyone is arguing personal preference on each tyre.

You see the problem emerging now?

It doesn't matter what tires you use it's just preference. Personally comfort hard has 100% of the time given me the best drifts all the time so I use them. However you can use any tires you want it's more in the rest of the tune that's gonna effect how the car handles.

The problem with this is that everyone is arguing personal preference on each tyre.

You see the problem emerging now?

It doesn't matter what tires you use it's just preference. Personally comfort hard has 100% of the time given me the best drifts all the time so I use them. However you can use any tires you want it's more in the rest of the tune that's gonna effect how the car handles.
But your speaking out of personal experience...it is the problem. Its good that you like to use those tires for that specific reason. We need to come up with a universal tire. Just for a community standard, if we come up with a ranking system or at least a personal record thread. It would be like using a Tournament rules like best 2 out of 3 matches for fighting games, its universal,it works and its highly used in alot of games. But as someone stated that it would just make people rage, then it will. If we are looking for the Professional tire, then we need to agree to something. IF people don't like using that tire for battles, then don't use it.I do need a PS3...

Last edited:
the AMG live race uses Comfort Soft to match David Coulthard's lap in a real SLS. Assuming the SLS was using the Continental factory tires, they are probably one of the best street radial tires you can ever find in the market.

so comfort hard and meds are quite a realistic counterpart of most average street radial tires that most drifts with in real life, if the higher end street radial is comfort soft.

sports tires are mostly like the counterpart of r-tires / r-compounds that are greatly used in time attacks.

and racing tires are just ridiculous, i can't even imagine if there are tires with such grip that exist in this world.

What no one has talked about yet(or maybe I missed it) Is that in comparing GT5's tires to Real life tires is that tire companies make Hybrid tires for drifting so for example, You can buy a sport tire with a higher Tread count and Speed rating or wider width or sticky compound, then modify it further by shaving the Treads. As I said earlier, I've seen people use Economy tires at Drift practice events in real life because they last longer and are cheaper to buy, but if you go to D1/Formula D, they use a street/Sport tire that is Modified by shaving the Treads essentially making it a sport sticky. What people fail to realize in choosing a tire for drift Is you actually want a Grippy tire. Last night PHX1up ran a Drift room as usual with comfort only so I basically Detuned my RX-7 GTx down to about 75% power, switched to Comfort Soft and actually was Drifting Faster(40 mph on CS as opposed to 35 on Sport Medium)! The only difference now was i had to take perfect lines on Tsukuba hitting the Clipping point and Maintaining speed or it's off the track.

at the end of the day, sport tires in gt5 are much grippier than any tire that are used for drifting in the real world. dont let the gt5 tire names fool you. sport tires are really not sport tires in real life.

at the end of the day, sport tires in gt5 are much grippier than any tire that are used for drifting in the real world. dont let the gt5 tire names fool you. sport tires are really not sport tires in real life.

Do we have the same decision on that?

Do we have the same decision on that?

i'm just basing this on the David Coulthard's live race that happened recently. the gt5 amg sls counterpart uses comfort soft tires to match with a real amg sls that david coulthard drives with those contientals factory tires. therefore cs = continental street radials or equivalent.

if comfort soft is equal to those grippy continental tires that the sls comes with. then the gt5 sport tires have to be atleast r-tyres/r-compound/semi-slicks whatever you want to call them.

just logical thinking, not personal preference with just *i feel*

After reading every post on this entire thread, I feel like I have to respond, for therapeutic reasons. My feelings are not aimed at any particular person FWIW. First off, let's get this straight: GT 5 is a game. No matter what you use for tires, tuning and suspension, nothing will be "realistic." Period. Aside from lacking accurate physics, and the physical effects of high G turns on your body, "true drifters" on this thread are missing the biggest factor: There is NO fear of death or serious injury while you tool around Tsukaba in your 600+ hp beast. Unless any of you actually drift high performance cars in real life, no one here is actually a "true drifter." In fact, while we're on the topic of realism, I have to ask: Has everyone forgotten that GT5 has always been a much better simulator (keyword there) of regular grip racing, and NOT drifting? Since GT4 there has been tons of talk (from real drivers) about how wonky Gran Turismo has always been for drifting. The physics just don't line up at all for some reason. For that, I put it in the same category as NFS, GRID and the like. Secondly, from a game-play perspective, why is there so much talk of tire durability? I hope everyone is aware that you can turn off tire-wear in the race setup...Finally, and this is perhaps the thing that irks me the most about this thread, how in the hell are some of you going to go around making people who use Skylines and other 4WD cars feel crummy about themselves? Some of the best real life drift videos and fictional series like Initial-D show AWD cars tearing it up in some of the tightest hairpin turns. Sorry for the rant. I just hope some of the more brash, arrogant youth on the online community can get over themselves and be at peace with people "drifting" whatever makes them happy. As I said before, it's a game. Do what makes you happy and don't go around slamming other people for playing how they want to play. It's like insulting someone for playing pac man with their feet instead of their hands...

Edit: For the record, I love "drifting" in GT5. But again, I have no illusions that I'm playing a game. The whole fun about trying to drift for me is trying new settings and new tires. I would never judge a person for favoring one type of tire over another, and at the same time, I would hope some of the more aggressive of you out there would quit bashing people who like variety in their lives. The one thing I will judge a person for is talking big and boasting. Talk is cheap, especially so online. Those of you claiming to be real-life drifters or participants in drift events may very well be, then again, you may be a 12-year-old talking smack on your parent's computer. I find it surprising that a real-life drifter would concern themselves so much with how other people prefer to play a GAME.

Normally I wouldn't have even posted on this topic, and I'm sure I'll take flak for what I've said. I've started driving on-line in the open lobby and I've heard a lot of the same kind of trash talk that is polluting this thread out there as well. I guess its a pet peeve of mine, but nothing pisses me off more than people who think in-game skills translate to some real-world value.

Last edited:
After reading every post on this entire thread, I feel like I have to respond, for therapeutic reasons. My feeling are not aimed at any particular person FWIW. First off, let's get this straight: GT 5 is a game. No matter what you use for tires, tuning and suspension, nothing will be "realistic." Period. Aside from lacking accurate physics, and the physical effects of high G turns on your body, "true drifters" on this thread are missing the biggest factor: There is NO fear of death or serious injury while you tool around Tsukaba in your 600+ hp beast. Unless any of you actually drift high performance cars in real life, no one here is actually a "true drifter." In fact, while we're on the topic of realism, I have to ask: Has everyone forgotten that GT5 has always been a much better simulator (keyword there) of regular grip racing, and NOT drifting? Since GT4 there has been tons of talk (from real drivers) about how wonky Gran Turismo has always been for drifting. The physics just don't line up at all for some reason. For that, I put it in the same category as NFS, GRID and the like. Secondly, from a game-play perspective, why is there so much talk of tire durability? I hope everyone is aware that you can turn off tire-wear in the race setup...Finally, and this is perhaps the thing that irks me the most about this thread, how in the hell are some of you going to go around making people who use Skylines and other 4WD cars feel crummy about themselves? Some of the best real life drift videos and fictional series like Initial-D show AWD cars tearing it up in some of the tightest hairpin turns. Sorry for the rant. I just hope some of the more brash, arrogant youth on the online community can get over themselves and be at peace with people "drifting" whatever makes them happy. As I said before, it's a game. Do what makes you happy and don't go around slamming other people for playing how they want to play. It's like insulting someone for playing pac man with their feet instead of their hands...

👍

brainDamage, I agree with most of your points. However, your black & white view of the realism irks me.
but nothing pisses me off more than people who think in-game skills translate to some real-world value.
In-game skills absolutely translate to the real world. Is the game 100% realistic? No, it wouldn't be a game if it was. Is it close? Relatively, yes. And as such, lessons you learn in GT5 can translate to real life, even in drifting, but especially in other areas of the game like grip driving.

I learned how to drift in GT3 before ever drifting in real life. When I first started drifting in real life, it was completely natural and I picked it right up due to my experiences in Gran Turismo. Everything is relative, all you need is an open mind to figure out how to apply that knowledge from the game in real life.

Gran Turismo can teach you many lessons about handling a car. Just because it doesn't match reality exactly doesn't mean you can't learn from it, as long as you don't hop in a real car thinking it'll be exactly the same (and if you do, you'll get what you deserve: a rude awakening).

Just as an example, one thing I learned from Gran Turismo before ever setting foot inside a RWD car is the delayed consequences of using the throttle while sideways. The car will react immediately, but some effects are seen on the tail end of your actions as the tires are slowing down again, not just initially when you press the throttle. It taught me the predictive nature of drifting. It also taught me the dangers of over-correcting. There are lots of lessons you can take away from Gran Turismo if you have an open mind. Given the general open-minded nature of the rest of your message, your position on this surprised me.

I bet that "braindamage" uses a DS3 (or a wheel and does not know how to drift in real life/GT5 because of fear)... :P
like pergatory said about skills in gt5 translated to real life, everything is true specially the danger of over-correcting.
I have to add to that skills in GT5 not just translate to real life, but translate and makes real life allot easier then it is and it makes you get rid of the fear of g-force.
From my personal experience, I used to consider G-force as a threat in real life because it kinda shakes you off the seat if you do something wrong, but now I consider G-force as an additional + that makes drifting easier than it is in the game where there is no feel of g-force on you but in your imagination (that is unless you are a billionaire and own some kind of G-force simulator programmed to support GT5).

brainDamage, I agree with most of your points. However, your black & white view of the realism irks me.

In-game skills absolutely translate to the real world. Is the game 100% realistic? No, it wouldn't be a game if it was. Is it close? Relatively, yes. And as such, lessons you learn in GT5 can translate to real life, even in drifting, but especially in other areas of the game like grip driving.

I learned how to drift in GT3 before ever drifting in real life. When I first started drifting in real life, it was completely natural and I picked it right up due to my experiences in Gran Turismo. Everything is relative, all you need is an open mind to figure out how to apply that knowledge from the game in real life.

Gran Turismo can teach you many lessons about handling a car. Just because it doesn't match reality exactly doesn't mean you can't learn from it, as long as you don't hop in a real car thinking it'll be exactly the same (and if you do, you'll get what you deserve: a rude awakening).

Just as an example, one thing I learned from Gran Turismo before ever setting foot inside a RWD car is the delayed consequences of using the throttle while sideways. The car will react immediately, but some effects are seen on the tail end of your actions as the tires are slowing down again, not just initially when you press the throttle. It taught me the predictive nature of drifting. It also taught me the dangers of over-correcting. There are lots of lessons you can take away from Gran Turismo if you have an open mind. Given the general open-minded nature of the rest of your message, your position on this surprised me.
I wish I could +rep you or thumbs up your post haha, you should drift with me in GT5 one day.

I bet that "braindamage" uses a DS3 (or a wheel and does not know how to drift in real life/GT5 because of fear)... :P
like pergatory said about skills in gt5 translated to real life, everything is true specially the danger of over-correcting.
I have to add to that skills in GT5 not just translate to real life, but translate and makes real life allot easier then it is and it makes you get rid of the fear of g-force.
From my personal experience, I used to consider G-force as a threat in real life because it kinda shakes you off the seat if you do something wrong, but now I consider G-force as an additional + that makes drifting easier than it is in the game where there is no feel of g-force on you but in your imagination (that is unless you are a billionaire and own some kind of G-force simulator programmed to support GT5).

DS3 is boss :lol:

I like using sports hard tyres.They seem to be what would be used on a standard road car in real life.Comforts are not very realistic.the braking distance and ability to understeer on a Rwd is bizzare.But each to theyre own.
What do people think about Awd drifting?
Most people diss it,but why?Have they seen ken block?Hes a superstar from flinging a subaru around,and all because it had an ACD and AYC.which evos and some skylines have and some high spec scoobies(i think?)all these systems give the car an ability to drift backwards which in my opinion is much harder to judge than Rwd,which only can be drifted slowly.Im sure 4wd is the future of drift.But for arse out fun Rwd is ok.
Holla.

You obviously don't know a damn about drifting to "diss" RWD drifting by saying its slow.
And surely AWD is not the future of drifting.

Go check Naoki Nakamura or Daigo Saito and come back saying RWD is slow, they do backwards entries at +200kph.

I like using sports hard tyres.They seem to be what would be used on a standard road car in real life.Comforts are not very realistic.the braking distance and ability to understeer on a Rwd is bizzare.But each to theyre own.
What do people think about Awd drifting?
Most people diss it,but why?Have they seen ken block?Hes a superstar from flinging a subaru around,and all because it had an ACD and AYC.which evos and some skylines have and some high spec scoobies(i think?)all these systems give the car an ability to drift backwards which in my opinion is much harder to judge than Rwd,which only can be drifted slowly.Im sure 4wd is the future of drift.But for arse out fun Rwd is ok.
Holla.
huh? Ken Block, the future?AWD? What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back