Comfort Tires = Professional Level?

• Thread starter why_spyder
  • 237 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG idk what it is about me that people who like drift just don't understand what I say. People in the thread are saying how comfort medium is better because it's closer to real life and I just gave a few reason on how there are some big differences to gt5 and real life and how we shouldn't compare them. Which is why comfort hard is best for gt5 since it gives the ability to drift easy but you still have to no what your doing

I dont base anything on this game with real life, cause I think they are two different things. Its close, but not exact.

The one thing I see standing out the most in this thread is the majority of people talking about speed...Speed is not everything when it comes to drifting. It seems as though everyone has forgot about angle and line, not to mention simply linking all of the corners. I use Comfort Hards all day everyday on every one of my cars I use for drifting. I can keep up with those who use Sport Tires and continuously drift an entire track. Skill plays a lot into deciding which tires to use for drifting. I've been drifting since FM2. GT is more realistic as far as drifting is concerned, and Comfort Hards are more realistic then Sports IMO. Yes you may be able to kick the back end out and hold it through a corner, but what happens when the corner is over and chicanes come out, or you have to swing into another hairpin or a sweeper for that matter. With Comforts I can swing into a corner and have more angle, consistent speed, and link every corner after that unlike Sports.

Speed is not everything, you may be able to leave someone in the dust. But in a competition leaving someone in the dust and someone else linking all the corners with a better line and angle is what the judges are looking for.

OMG idk what it is about me that people who like drift just don't understand what I say. People in the thread are saying how comfort medium is better because it's closer to real life and I just gave a few reason on how there are some big differences to gt5 and real life and how we shouldn't compare them. Which is why comfort hard is best for gt5 since it gives the ability to drift easy but you still have to no what your doing

Do you suggest another type and why? Someone pointed you out on something else and I asked would work with what we got or something close to IRL?

I hope everybody who says comfort hards is most realistic, drifts in real life.

I only use comfort hards cause its easier to tandem with.

Sports make you drift faster in my opinion so its kinda harder for ME to tandem with others plus too much grip for me.

It dosent matter what your drifting with just ignore complaints

nk4e
Do you suggest another type and why? Someone pointed you out on something else and I asked would work with what we got or something close to IRL?

I been saying comfort hard is best this whole time. I than read other responses about all this comfort medium, sports hard etc claiming to be better due to being more realistic. I was just listing a couple of differences between real life and gt5 which would be huge factors to add in which is why we can not compare the two. Comfort hard is the way to go for the best drifts in this game and it's doesn't matter what anyone else says I promise you will always land more points or tandem better with comfort hard than any other tires.

DriifterzZ
No, not all real drift cars have modified chassis. Professional level cars do as they have more money to do it and I assume you mean camber and toe arms to get "better tyre angle".
The handbrake is usually in the middle yes(its hard to reach in the boot) and they can be big or small. The ones you are thinking of are hydraulically powered and therefor more powerful than cable handbrakes.
No offence but it seems to me that you know next to nothing about drifting or drift cars.

Haha ok who would ever compare something to less than a professional level. If we were talking about a hockey game and said that the sticks are this length only or something because that's the rules in real life no one would say that's true but only at a professional level, in AA hockey they can use any size because they have less money. It's always based on a professional level yes of course we could compare it to some dude who added a turbo and new tires, but it would be pointless.

Haha ok who would ever compare something to less than a professional level. If we were talking about a hockey game and said that the sticks are this length only or something because that's the rules in real life no one would say that's true but only at a professional level, in AA hockey they can use any size because they have less money. It's always based on a professional level yes of course we could compare it to some dude who added a turbo and new tires, but it would be pointless.

I didn't really understand that but my point was that usually only professionals can afford to fabricate a custom cage, bumper bars, chassis strengthening etc. compared to beginners who can barely afford a dash dodger, reiterating your point that drift cars have modified chassis, which the majority don't.

I been saying comfort hard is best this whole time. I than read other responses about all this comfort medium, sports hard etc claiming to be better due to being more realistic. I was just listing a couple of differences between real life and gt5 which would be huge factors to add in which is why we can not compare the two. Comfort hard is the way to go for the best drifts in this game and it's doesn't matter what anyone else says I promise you will always land more points or tandem better with comfort hard than any other tires.

Without actual gameplay, we just can't go by CH. Well, I wouldn't like it to be like that.

I hope everybody who says comfort hards is most realistic, drifts in real life.

Actually I suspect several of them do, but it's easy to be misled because of a key aspect of tires in this game: As far as I can tell they have no sidewall flex. This results in all the tires in the game feeling basically the same aside from their traction levels, and gives the comfort tires a more sporty "feel" to them. I think it's that sporty feel which people connect to and say "oh yeah, this doesn't feel like a budget tire at all." It is a budget tire, it just has iron sidewalls.

Yes you may be able to kick the back end out and hold it through a corner, but what happens when the corner is over and chicanes come out, or you have to swing into another hairpin or a sweeper for that matter. With Comforts I can swing into a corner and have more angle, consistent speed, and link every corner after that unlike Sports.
That's exactly my point. You've just reinforced it without even realizing it. Drifting comfort hards is simply easier. Easier to link corners, easier to get steep angle, etc.

You say you use comfort hards because they let you link corners and such, but you don't seem to realize you can do that with sports & racing slicks too, it's just harder. Granted, a given person will be able to do steeper angles & link more corners on comfort hards than on racing soft... but that's a given. You can get the best angles by using a front-wheel drive car and just putting lunch trays under the rear wheels. Put some racing slicks on there and see how you can drift, that will separate the boys from the men.

(Yes, I understand there's a difference between pushing your limits and just goofing off. I try to say at least once in every rant about tires that I do use comfort hards on quite a few of my drift cars. I'm just astonished at the level of misinformation on this forum and have to speak up from time to time.)

nk4e
Without actual gameplay, we just can't go by CH. Well, I wouldn't like it to be like that.

I tried every tire and tire combo there is for tons of different cars and comfort hard is what I have found to be the best. Sometimes comfort hard and comfort soft combo but for the rarest situations

I tried every tire and tire combo there is for tons of different cars and comfort hard is what I have found to be the best. Sometimes comfort hard and comfort soft combo but for the rarest situations
Now, we are going to repeat that for other users. Please post the best tune that works for you that supports the tire combo.

Now, we are going to repeat that for other users. Please post the best tune that works for you that supports the tire combo.

It won't happen, I hope it does though.

The problem with proving realism on these tyres is that there isn't enough any customisation or tuning in GT5 for tyres. I'm not so sure what professionals have their tyre pressures at but increasing/decreasing them would make some difference whilst drifting.

Lol I no people do not like when I reference my garage, but my speed 12 has comfort hard front and comfort soft rear and gets 30,000 easy around Tsukuba so it's really good. Speed 12, Buick special, maybe a supra, and Aston Martin vantage are the only cars that I have seen where the tire combo works great. All the best and most extreme guys landing insanely high drift points at the seasonals use a combo.

P.S. I would just post the tune here but I'm on my phone and am not sure if it will copy and paste properly

The reason most people use a combo of CM/CS on the front and CH on the rear is because it achieves the most angle without spinning out.

It's not a proof of realism if everyone is doing it in the seasonals, it's a way for them to get more points.

Ya that's what were talking about the best tires that the pros use and not comparing to real life

Do any of you who are against Comfort hards play on a wheel?

Ive attempted using Comfort softs and my car just snaps back. Also most of my drifting is done by clutch kicking and feints. Don't use the handbrake.
I have trouble getting CS' to spin in 450ps+ cars.

I'm glad some are waking up. When the game first came out and I was telling people that drifting comforts doesnt equate to being better I was getting all kinds of negative feedback. I do really drift and have been to several club 4ag driftdays in L.A. And yes people do drift Economy tires(Comforts) but the reason is two-Fold:

1) tires are expensive and Comforts don't run down as fast as sport/Racing tires.

2) The Lack of good grip is a great practice tool for beginners since you don't have to speed as fast to break traction giving one less thing to worry about while one learns throttle control, And counter steering.

As I said before I do use comforts now for drift but that's for my stock cars. I don't care what tire others use but I get sick of the "You're running into me" crap when in actuality comfort users go into turns too slow with 20 mph entry speeds.

Ive attempted using Comfort softs and my car just snaps back. Also most of my drifting is done by clutch kicking and feints. Don't use the handbrake.
I have trouble getting CS' to spin in 450ps+ cars.

I asked earlier, apparently only one person has answered that question. Te guys using sports tires still haven't said if they were using a wheel or the ds3.

People really shouldn't be giving their opinion about tires until they've drifted using a wheel.

Like I said, most people using a steering wheel tend to use comfort tires. In my opinion, CM tires are pretty damn close to a street radial tire. I like comfort softs too, but I tend to stick on comfort medium or hards because I easily wear myself out 10 to 20 minutes into the game. I have a proper built cockpit, and it still tires me out. I'd like to keep GT5 what it is; a damn game.

IRL, I can only go 10-15 minutes each run on track days because the massive g-force and concentration drifting requires. Why do you think most drift competitions they do only a section of the track and not the entire track?

GT5 will always be my drift fix since ive sold all my drift cars to pay for grad school. It's as close as it gets.

The one thing I see standing out the most in this thread is the majority of people talking about speed...Speed is not everything when it comes to drifting. It seems as though everyone has forgot about angle and line, not to mention simply linking all of the corners. I use Comfort Hards all day everyday on every one of my cars I use for drifting. I can keep up with those who use Sport Tires and continuously drift an entire track. Skill plays a lot into deciding which tires to use for drifting. I've been drifting since FM2. GT is more realistic as far as drifting is concerned, and Comfort Hards are more realistic then Sports IMO. Yes you may be able to kick the back end out and hold it through a corner, but what happens when the corner is over and chicanes come out, or you have to swing into another hairpin or a sweeper for that matter. With Comforts I can swing into a corner and have more angle, consistent speed, and link every corner after that unlike Sports.

Speed is not everything, you may be able to leave someone in the dust. But in a competition leaving someone in the dust and someone else linking all the corners with a better line and angle is what the judges are looking for.
Correct.

Its great going into a random room and see people drifting Tsukuba since thats all they can do with the tires they are using. Just drifting one corner, then stopping and then drifting the next. Just saddening to see them do that and miss the feeling of connecting the whole track. Most of the time I can leave them behind using comfort hards. It's good entertainment to say the least.

SLAPHAPPYFRANKY
Correct.

Its great going into a random room and see people drifting Tsukuba since thats all they can do with the tires they are using. Just drifting one corner, then stopping and then drifting the next. Just saddening to see them do that and miss the feeling of connecting the whole track. Most of the time I can leave them behind using comfort hards. It's good entertainment to say the least.

Everyones gotta start somewhere

Everyones gotta start somewhere

It's not just that though. Majority of these people havent actually bothered trying something else other than there sports tyres because they are so "pro" on there sports tyres and they will give you the highest amount of abuse if you suggest comfort tyres. They have been "Drifting" since the game came out yet cant even link 2 corners together due to there choice of tyre!

I use a wheel. I drift on all tires, from Comfort Hard on my Sileighty to Racing Hard on my 454 Chevelle.

Like I said, it's definitely harder. Doesn't mean you should just throw up your hands and say comfort hard is better, though. Easier does not equal better.

I use a wheel. I drift on all tires, from Comfort Hard on my Sileighty to Racing Hard on my 454 Chevelle.

Like I said, it's definitely harder. Doesn't mean you should just throw up your hands and say comfort hard is better, though. Easier does not equal better.

No, but more control, ability to link corners, slow wear rate, cost, work on just about anything from volvo 240 estate to Viper Acr, closer speed amongst differing cars. if that's not better, I don't know what is.

Only real problem i have is that i use C. Hards and if everyone else isnt using the same, they are going to either have a hard time tandeming with me, or i will have a hard time getting enough speed to catch up to them.

If i join a room, im not gonna flip out and tell everyone they are wrong (its not my room) ill just switch to the majority and slowly trickle suggestions that its funner using C.Hards :lol:

No, but more control, ability to link corners, slow wear rate, cost, work on just about anything from volvo 240 estate to Viper Acr, closer speed amongst differing cars. if that's not better, I don't know what is.
No, comfort hards give you less control, it just seems like more control because you aren't very good at drifting and make a lot of mistakes that would put you in the wall with stickier tires. In fact, stickier tires give you much better control if you can handle them. Sorry I'm sick of sugar-coating it. Drifting with comfort hards and claiming they are the best is like riding a bike with training wheels and claiming that's the best way to do marathons.

As far as your other points... ability to link corners has nothing to do with tires. Cost is a one-time deal, you don't need to pay for new tires, and it's not like sports tires are expensive anyway. Wear rate... well, yeah they do lose out there, but it's not like sports tires are toast after 10 laps. They last quite a while and if they wear out... you exit the room and enter again for a fresh set.

No, comfort hards give you less control, it just seems like more control because you aren't very good at drifting and make a lot of mistakes that would put you in the wall with stickier tires. In fact, stickier tires give you much better control if you can handle them. Sorry I'm sick of sugar-coating it. Drifting with comfort hards and claiming they are the best is like riding a bike with training wheels and claiming that's the best way to do marathons.

As far as your other points... ability to link corners has nothing to do with tires. Cost is a one-time deal, you don't need to pay for new tires, and it's not like sports tires are expensive anyway. Wear rate... well, yeah they do lose out there, but it's not like sports tires are toast after 10 laps. They last quite a while and if they wear out... you exit the room and enter again for a fresh set.

Fact is that every corner has a maximum entry speed and a maximum speed to get around the corner - if you're going too fast, you will hit the wall. It's as simple as that. It doesn't matter what tire you use.

I prefer comfort hards because they are the best tire for tandems. IMO - the real skill is in tandem drifting. I started on sport hard tires and moved to comfort hard because of tandems. That's skill.

The real question is - why does this topic keep getting comments? LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back