Coming from GTS, new to youPS4 

• Thread starter slthree
  • 70 comments
United States
Fact Central Florida
slthree
Let me start by saying I bought Project Cars 2 months ago, long before I bought GT Sport. The reason for my purchase was that it was touted to have a much better offline experience and I did not feel like I'm good enough to race online

However, I only tinkered with the game for about a week back in November and I was utterly frustrated because I could not complete a single lap. That is not hyperbole. That is my sad, pathetic truth

I then bought GT Sport and have been playing it ever since December. It is beautiful, the most beautiful video game I've ever played.

It was much easier to pick up and use a controller because I don't have a wheel. The offline portion of the game was fine for a few custom races but became boring.

Eventually, I found myself online in the sport races and, while I have yet to crack a top 10, I have the highest sportsmanship rating possible because I'm a very clean racer, despite being a slow racer.

The main problem I had online was that when I began to pass people from the back I was getting rammed from every which way and pushed off the track and I was incurring penalties for things I didn't do.

Anyway, to get more to the point: I decided to do research on PC2 to see if I could go back to this game. This is where you guys (gals) come in to the picture.

I downloaded the game again with all the updates and decided to give it a go. But, I wanted to read everything I could before I started to play. Over the past 4 days, I have logged over 10 hours of pure reading of thousands of posts in hundreds of threads, most of them here on GT Planet.

I cannot believe how knowledgeable you all are and how much I've taken away from all your conversations, even your debates.

I have done a few custom races following very closely the guidance you all have given me, without even knowing it. I just began a career and I'm about to go into my third race with ginetta juniors

I am blown away by the weather effects in this game as race 2 in this series was in the rain. For you, it may be old hat. But, for me, it had me screaming out loud for the entire race. Today is a day off for me to race and my family thinks I'm crazy for being a grown man who is racing and acting giddy

I don't know what my future holds between the two games but I cannot take this one off my screen.

So, thank you all in a big way.

Now, I have some questions thst I could not find answers to:

1. How do I acquire different cars? (I have started with a good amount of cars because I bought the deluxe edition back in November)

2. I see an advertisement for a legend Porsche pack. Would you say it is worth the purchase? (In GTSport I get a free car every day I drive 26 miles even though there are many duplicates)

3. Sometimes I have trouble seeing the track of ahead of me. Have any of you experienced this in the beginning and found a way to see the track better?

4. Related to question 3, is there a better representation of the minimap in the upper right hand corner of my screen because it is so large I can only see segments at a time. In GT Sport you can see the entire map and this helped me knowing when I was coming into a tricky area

5. Is there a way to run "lean" on fuel from time to time so as to have to pit less? In GT Sport there is a dial that you can manually change during the race. It goes from 1 to 6 and you would mostly have it on one to get the most power from your engine, but there are times, like when you go through a very curvy section, that you may want to put it all the way up to 4 5 or 6 to save on fuel

6. I like to use shifting to help have more control of my car, especially breaking into corners or accelerating out of corners. I use the right stick and flick it up or down. That said, sometimes it seems like the car won't shift even against my command to shift. For instance, I'm in 5th gear but want to come down to 3rd gear and I flick it twice and it appears that something is happening but nothing happens, and next thing I know, I'm off the track and hitting a wall or spinning out.

Is there something more nuanced to shifting that I am missing?

Last edited:
1 - They are all unlocked except for DLC cars. You have to purchase the DLC. You can get the season pass and get all the DLC.

2- see question 1 - I got the season pass with a 20% off code for psn. It goes on sale from time to time - I would wait for a sale or for when you have a discount code. There are plenty of cars to start with.

3 - This is personal - are you using a wheel? What Camera view are you using? If you are using a wheel and are close to your screen, use the cockpit camera or helmet cam and set your correct FOV (or close to it) - http://andyf.me/fovcalc.html - otherwise I cannot help.

4 - I believe people should turn off the mini map, it is only a distraction. Learn the track for real, turn off suggested track lines and mini maps. This will help you learn the tracks and you can lean the braking zones.

5- There are tons of tuning options in this game but it is per car bases. You will have to dig through each car and see, and I cannot remember if you can map a button to do it while driving or not.

Just to add to Spitfire's reply...

1 - In career (and only career) there are some cars locked behind the various manufacturer events - which themselves are locked until you've done enough racing in one of that manufacturers cars. if you haven't already, you should soon get an invite to a Ginetta event while you are running the Junior series. Win the manufacturer events to unlock those cars in the career. Outside career - everything is available from the start (except DLC, as mentioned in the previous post)

2 - Whether the Porsche pack is worth getting is up to you. Though again as above, the season pass on an offer is probably your best bet on the DLC side. I will say that I'm not particularly a Porsche fan, but I think the pack has some exceptional cars in it!

3 - Not something I've noticed, but I'm on PC so different platform.

4 - There's no option to change the mini map, it is what it is. I'd echo Spitfire's comment though, ignore it and try to learn the track by it's environment. If you're getting distracted by other cars do 10 or 20 laps on your own in custom race (just set zero opponents) to get a feel for braking points etc (maybe not at the Nordschleife unless you have huge amounts of spare time though!)

5 - Yep, it's in the ICM (In Car Management) menu while driving, default to open the menu is D-Pad up. You can set the mixture to Lean/Normal/Rich as long as it's available for the car you're driving.

6 - Sounds to me like you're running into downshift protection - the game won't let you "machine gun" down through the gears if it would result in over-revving the engine.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks to both of you for replying so quickly.

And, yeah, Greg, it definitely seems like some sort of downshift protection. I wish that wasn’t a feature because I’m not trying to shotgun downshift I’m breaking at the same time. I just want to go from 5 to 3 to get out of a curve and accelerate, but it’s only dropping to four and so I don’t have that quick acceleration that I’m looking for. I want it to really grab and dig in. I guess I’ll learn to live with it. It’s probably unrealistic on my part anyway.

I’m still evaluating camera angles but I can say for sure that the cockpit views are very surprising. I can’t use them in GTS because the vision is so limited, save for a few cars. But, at least in the Ginetta, all three cockpit views are crystal-clear and I can see so much. Very refreshing

I know it would be more realistic to get rid of the mini map altogether but there’s something about having it that helps me get ready for difficult parts of the track and it also helps me just to know where I am and prepare ahead of time for certain segments that are troublesome for me

The camera angles seem very low and I wish I could just tilted up a little bit to see ahead of me a little better. Maybe that’s possible and I haven’t discovered it yet

The camera angles seem very low and I wish I could just tilted up a little bit to see ahead of me a little better. Maybe that’s possible and I haven’t discovered it yet

Yes there is seat movement up/down forward/back and angle. If you have an extra usb keyboard laying around hook that up to give yourself more buttons to map.

With reference to your "2. I see an advertisement for a legend Porsche pack. Would you say it is worth the purchase?"

I would like to differ from the previous comments that you should buy a "Season pass" in order to get the DLC add ons (Porche Legends pack etc). You stated you bought the Deluxe Edition from the onset, so if it is that you did you already are entitled to whatever DLC (add ons) content released from time to time (cars, tracks etc). To check for your DLCs, if you don't have automatic notifications and downloads set to "On" or whatever, simply navigate to the Playstation Store....Search for your game (in this case "Project Cars 2").....Navigate to "Add Ons". There you will see whatever Add-Ons are available waiting either to be purchased (if you bought just the "Standard" Edition....or waiting to be downloaded and installed (if you had bought the "Deluxe Edition" which you have). Seeing that you had bought the "Deluxe" and already entitled to add-ons without having to purchase them you should see "Download/Install" button instead of "Purchase". Click on it and it should take you to the download/install step and the DLC should begin the process. If you for some reason see "Purchase" instead, click on it and see if it doesn't take you to the downloading and installation process. It should do so.

I recommend setting up FOV correctly before fiddling with seat position. If you sit a distance from your screen it'll look unplayable at first, but there are other settings to counteract this. It really helps to judge distances correctly, which in turn makes learning tracks easier. It wasn't long before I turned the map off altogether.

With reference to your "2. I see an advertisement for a legend Porsche pack. Would you say it is worth the purchase?"

I would like to differ from the previous comments that you should buy a "Season pass" in order to get the DLC add ons (Porche Legends pack etc). You stated you bought the Deluxe Edition from the onset, so if it is that you did you already are entitled to whatever DLC (add ons) content released from time to time (cars, tracks etc). To check for your DLCs, if you don't have automatic notifications and downloads set to "On" or whatever, simply navigate to the Playstation Store....Search for your game (in this case "Project Cars 2").....Navigate to "Add Ons". There you will see whatever Add-Ons are available waiting either to be purchased (if you bought just the "Standard" Edition....or waiting to be downloaded and installed (if you had bought the "Deluxe Edition" which you have). Seeing that you had bought the "Deluxe" and already entitled to add-ons without having to purchase them you should see "Download/Install" button instead of "Purchase". Click on it and it should take you to the download/install step and the DLC should begin the process. If you for some reason see "Purchase" instead, click on it and see if it doesn't take you to the downloading and installation process. It should do so.
Well, I feel like I’m spending my entire day off just thanking people for their help. I did exactly what you told me to do and you were correct. I received that pack for free and for some reason, I think I received another pack too because there were some other cars that I didn’t have before that I now have

Thank you very much

Last edited:
I am blown away by the weather effects in this game as race 2 in this series was in the rain. For you, it may be old hat. But, for me, it had me screaming out loud for the entire race.

Time to buy a wheel, if weather had you screaming then a cheap T150 will have your neighbors asking what's going on over there?
A wheel is the best upgrade any sim fan can gift themselves.

Well, I feel like I’m spending my entire day off just thanking people for their help. I did exactly what you told me to do and you were correct. I receive that pack for free and for some reason, I think I received another pack to because there were some other cars that I didn’t have before that I now have

Thank you very much
No probs. It's how we roll here bro. I myself have been the recipient of much helpful advice and responses also. We just try to help one another.

BTW, I agree with @Corsa about getting a wheel. It would be the best investment you could make to enjoying the game so much more. Your hands and fingers will also thank you for it. I could never go back to racing with a controller ever again.

I wouldn't suggest going off to buy the cheapest wheel though. You don't have to go the most expensive either. Somewhere middle of the line/good quality will do.
Myself I have a Logitech G29...fairly decent...Not the cheapest, not most expensive either. Works for me. When I get big I want to get a fancy Fanatec wheel though. That would make my day.

I agree. Mini map is good for learning a new track. After that it's useful for races to see where your opponents are.

Also useful in Multi-class races, to know when faster cars are lapping you. In case you're racing AI cars, then it's a must as they have no idea how to overtake, and you usually get a blue flag announcement when it's too late

You may also want to try out some of the UDP apps that it supports as well.

Crew Chief and P Cars dash being two of the best on Android.

This may help with FOV and why it's good to get it right.
100% on what @Scaff said. P Cars Dash is good from what I hear though I don't have it yet.
I have Crew Chief by Jim Belowski. Best app eva for me and quite indispensable. He makes you even want to play the game more adding so much excitement to the game...colourful language included, gives excellent, accurate feedback on what's happening around you at any given time so you're much more informed of cars/racers in vicinity, updates on car condition, fuel, track, weather etc etc, literally a host of useful info. I have it now for a couple of months and can't do without it. As said, not only useful but quite entertaining. This is a must have. I highly recommend this third party UDP app.

And yes, the FOV suggestion is excellent also.

Left Ctrl + K on keyboard activate the FOV & POV setup via keyboard keys.
wsad, qe and numpad, great for change things live while sit in car.

edit:
Numpad 2: increase pitch
Numpad 3: switch lights on/off
Numpad 8: decrease pitch
Numpad 4: increase yaw
Numpad 6: decrease yaw
Numpad 7: increase radius
Numpad 9: decrease radius
Numpad 1: increase roll
Numpad 3: decrease roll
Numpad -: increase FOV
Numpad +: decrease FOV
D: forward
A: backward
W: up
S: down
Q: left
E: right
Numpad 5: reset to original settings for current camera

Last edited:
Well, my GT planet friends, you and project cars 2, have ruined my life! My family doesn’t see me anymore, because outside of eating with them, I’m up in my bedroom Racing

I’ve been doing as much research as possible and watching the videos you provided me and then some…

I have adjusted field of vision and I can’t believe how much more realistic it seems. I’m taking some of the same races on the same tracks but now I’m seeing and feeling the elevations and I am in shock

I’m using the crew chief app and I’m loving it so far. My next step is to learn how to ask questions and give voice commands but I haven’t figured out how to do that yet

I am also certain I want to get a wheel set up but I want the best one I can possibly get. I haven’t started researching that yet so if you know what the best ones are please let me know.

Lastly, I keep trying to go back to GT Sport because I have several friends from right here on this website that play that game and I like to run laps with them but I can’t stay on it more than a few minutes without thinking about PC2. Yesterday, it was a chore, pure drudgery, to work in my quick 26 miles to receive my gift car, which, by the way, was yet another duplicate.

There's a list of phrases that the app recognises. I found them in the description on the app store. They're probably available elsewhere but I haven't checked. Assign a button to communicate and away you go.

Regarding the wheel, I use a Logitech G29. I'm very happy with it but I haven't used any others so I can't make any comparisons. I chose it over others in that price range because it's generally regarded as long lasting and reliable. It's a solid build with a sturdy pedal base and decent ffb. I'd prefer if the wheel had a larger circumference though. I have mine mounted on a wheel stand pro. Making sure the pedals don't move away from you is a must.

There's a list of phrases that the app recognises. I found them in the description on the app store. They're probably available elsewhere but I haven't checked. Assign a button to communicate and away you go.

Regarding the wheel, I use a Logitech G29. I'm very happy with it but I haven't used any others so I can't make any comparisons. I chose it over others in that price range because it's generally regarded as long lasting and reliable. It's a solid build with a sturdy pedal base and decent ffb. I'd prefer if the wheel had a larger circumference though. I have mine mounted on a wheel stand pro. Making sure the pedals don't move away from you is a must.
Same here. Logitech G29....Wheel Stand Pro. Good combination. The Wheel Stand pro takes just a small footprint and is very stable.

@slthree , I think if you load the Crew Chief app....Click on "Preferences" (the three dots "...." at the top right) you will see how you can assign a button for voice commands and a general help on what to do, how it works, what you can say. Just scroll down until you reach the section on it (think it's about the last section down).

In the app's Preferences you will see various options for different things too.

Just read through this. It sounds like you are on the right track. I'm a purist so like to turn as much of the Hud off as possible. The crew chief app and pcars dash apps replace this to a large degree. If you have a tablet and insist on having the track map you can use pcars dash for this (although I prefer to see the car status - tyre temps, damage, fuel burn calculations)

For wheels I have a T300 (got the 599 Ferrari integrale package). I think the T300 is a good middle of the range wheel. I also think the pedal choice is just as important, if not more, than the wheel. Brake pedal feel is the tricky bit.

For reference, my only other wheel experience is the logitech g27, which i gather is the same bones as the g29. I do prefer the T300.

[QUOTE="davidt33, post: 12268966, member: 276338".

@slthree , I think if you load the Crew Chief app....Click on "Preferences" (the three dots "...." at the top right) you will see how you can assign a button for voice commands and a general help on what to do, how it works, what you can say. Just scroll down until you reach the section on it (think it's about the last section down).
[/QUOTE]

My question is: "Do you make the button assignment in the actual game"? If so, under what tab will I find it

There only things I've been successful assigning are controller settings for shifting.

[QUOTE="davidt33, post: 12268966, member: 276338".

My question is: "Do you make the button assignment in the actual game"? If so, under what tab will I find it

There only things I've been successful assigning are controller settings for shifting.

When the app says "waiting for button assignment" or whatever, press the button on your wheel you want to assign it to until the app shows it's assigned. It doesn't matter what screen of the game you're in.

When the app says "waiting for button assignment" or whatever, press the button on your wheel you want to assign it to until the app shows it's assigned. It doesn't matter what screen of the game you're in.
Ok. That's my problem then.

I don't have a wheel. I use the PS4 controller

I would assume you can do it with ds4. You can assign it to any button, even one that has an in game function. The button will then do both functions when it's pressed. If you don't have a free button try assigning it to one that won't inhibit your lap times (lights, look back...etc).

Latest Posts

Back