Common drift settings (theories) apply to all FR cars?

• Thread starter Sunny7day
  • 21 comments
I have a generic setup,

Basically:

Tires: Comfort Hards
Suspension: 5.0 camber at the front , 1.0 at the back , Toe in at the front -2 Toe out at the rear 2 i run the rear of the car harder than the front of the car
Diff: 20 , 60 30

Any power really and a low or medium turbo :)

Downforce isn't really going to matter much when drifting.

Lower grip tires are obviously preferred, but it's generally good to run the highest grip tire that you can still slip easily, for optimal control during the slide itself and on exit. At some point I started running one step softer in the front than the rear to improve steering response, but that gets down to preference.

Generally run a bit of negative camber in the front to improve turn in and steering response during the drift. A little bit of toe in on the rear can help keep the tail a little more controllable.

I'd suggest starting out with just stock settings for a bit except for tires and feeling out a car. There are a lot of cars that drift nice without any tuning at all, and then once you have a feel for the car you can work on the suspension to suit your preferences.

Downforce isn't really going to matter much when drifting.

Lower grip tires are obviously preferred, but it's generally good to run the highest grip tire that you can still slip easily, for optimal control during the slide itself and on exit. At some point I started running one step softer in the front than the rear to improve steering response, but that gets down to preference.

Generally run a bit of negative camber in the front to improve turn in and steering response during the drift. A little bit of toe in on the rear can help keep the tail a little more controllable.

I'd suggest starting out with just stock settings for a bit except for tires and feeling out a car. There are a lot of cars that drift nice without any tuning at all, and then once you have a feel for the car you can work on the suspension to suit your preferences.

This.

Haha yeah I have a lot of stock cars that drift well. It's fun but I need to grind some more to start messing with them. Usually the newer cars have a good LSD verses some older ones with an open diff that won't allow you to slide

For my supra rz 97 i use -2 toe in front,0 on back. ride at 40 in front 38 in back and keep springs high in rear to keep that butt squatted. also medium turbo is kind of a pain cuz you wait for spool. low turbo kills. street medium tires. prolly spend good cash on engine so you can rev high.

For my supra rz 97 i use -2 toe in front,0 on back. ride at 40 in front 38 in back and keep springs high in rear to keep that butt squatted. also medium turbo is kind of a pain cuz you wait for spool. low turbo kills. street medium tires. prolly spend good cash on engine so you can rev high.

How does that supra handle? Do you know what the max amount of power out of it is?

How does that supra handle? Do you know what the max amount of power out of it is?

Ok Hi guys Im still new here and as for drifting, well, I don't mean to brag but I put more cars sideways than most of you put together.... SOMETIMES even on purpose :lol:

Seriously though I was just starting to get the hang of drifting with the controller on GT4 and I used the Supra RZ, I was by no means great but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Now I got GT5, a Driving Force Steering wheel and that same Supra RZ (Less power though) Seems that using the steering wheel REALLY makes it difficult for ME to drift, anyway, ANY tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

Ok Hi guys Im still new here and as for drifting, well, I don't mean to brag but I put more cars sideways than most of you put together.... SOMETIMES even on purpose :lol:

Seriously though I was just starting to get the hang of drifting with the controller on GT4 and I used the Supra RZ, I was by no means great but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Now I got GT5, a Driving Force Steering wheel and that same Supra RZ (Less power though) Seems that using the steering wheel REALLY makes it difficult for ME to drift, anyway, ANY tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

I play with a Driving Force Pro, to be honest I prefer the controller still for drifting. Maybe with my new G27 the ability to clutch kick and play around a bit more with the gears will change my mind.

I definitely like the feel of a quicker locking differential, but it all depends on the power in the car. An underpowered car feels better with a faster locking diff, it slips the rear of the car out with less effort. A higher power car may benefit from a slower, smoother differential setup. Having it lock the rear wheels slower and having each wheel at a slighly different speed makes the car more controllable and allows it to come back after pushing too far. This is mostly based on Forza, though I would guess the same basic principles apply here.

Well, I've got it at 60 but the car (S13) is still having problems only wanting to spin one tire when I initiate the drift. You can see it only laying down one skid mark. It does this unless I really get it sideways, then everything works ok.

Edit: No problems at lower speeds.

Well, I've got it at 60 but the car (S13) is still having problems only wanting to spin one tire when I initiate the drift. You can see it only laying down one skid mark. It does this unless I really get it sideways, then everything works ok.

Edit: No problems at lower speeds.
Which wheel is it, if its the outside wheel then it likely means that the wheel isn't spining it it just has alot off friction,causing it to become hot and leave a skid mark. It its the inside wheel, then your diff isn't locking.

Inside wheel. When making a left hand turn (drift) the left rear wheel isn't leaving a mark. The car has a problem wanting to straighten out mid-drift which is probably related to the rear not locking correctly.

Set initial torque to 5 (as far as i know. this setting states how much force is needed before the diff becomes active)
This should lock the diff (if other settinggs are 60 60) almost the instant you turn.
works for me mate

Set initial torque to 5 (as far as i know. this setting states how much force is needed before the diff becomes active)
This should lock the diff (if other settinggs are 60 60) almost the instant you turn.
works for me mate

I'll try that when I get home. Thanks. 👍

I dont usually pay too much attention to power, I just need enough where I can power over, but not so much where I always rely on power over, I like weight transfer and braking to change direction. My drift car right now has 99 hp but it only weights like 500kg haha

^^^ I like high speed drifting, so that wouldn't work for me.

Thanks for the suggestion GTWelsh, that helped a lot. 👍

works for me mate
My understandment of initial torque was that the higher the setting the, the more locked your differential starts out as,if that makes any sense. The more locked your differential is the harder it is to break traction, which why is it better to to enter a courner with your diff open,have the inside wheel break traction, then have your diff lock. The quicker it locks the more radically your back end will slide out. I am not arguing with you i am simply stating why what you said is true.

Also,R1600Turbo was were your diff settings before? I have only rarly come across that problem, and it was in cars that didn't have LSDs, which where a 1969 camaro, and 1970 challenger and a Concept Audi peaks pike quattro, which had the rear diff settings on 0.

I dont usually pay too much attention to power, I just need enough where I can power over, but not so much where I always rely on power over, I like weight transfer and braking to change direction. My drift car right now has 99 hp but it only weights like 500kg haha

Exactly. What i do on any car is LSD first, set a initial to 8, acc to 58 and dec to 45. racing air filter, ecu, cat, and sports exhaust. comfort softs (cause they are stock) Thats it and most of the cars slide very nice already. Bluebird, s13, FC, GTS-t, Cappuccino, Miata. I dont have a single car over 300 hp that i use for drift and most are 200 or less, Power is less important than control except say at Cape north haha. Stock suspension is usually nice because of the easy weight shifting (because of no power over) But if the car doesn't shift enough a small tap of the e brake helps. Josh want to slide under powered cars some time?

Latest Posts

Back