Complete Guide/Rewards - Lewis Hamilton Time Attack Challenge

• Thread starter mclarenLB
  • 686 comments
Took Diamond at Nordshleife yesterday, found it the easiest and funniest. Lots of mistakes, still got it.

So I've got 7 diamonds now, the others are gold. +0,5s at Nurb GP, +0,1s at Suzuka. But I'm already beyond my limits.

Was 4 tenths from diamond at willow. I watched @Tidgney 's stream yesterday when he tried Willow at the end and it gave me some motivation. Now I'm +0,2s...

I'll get there, just keep pushing !

Last edited:
Here is my diamond lap on a controller, most of the time comes through cutting the chicane (all the curb in the left and about as far as the bollard on the right). I used BB +4 for the middle sector and +2 for the offroad section and stadium complex where you are braking downhill so the car is more settled.

Thank you, really impressive lap. I found some time in the stadium and the final chicane with your BB settings and finally got the gold. I think Nurburgring GP was definitively the hardest track for me.

I don't think I can get close enough to any diamond times as i would need to improve by a second on most tracks.

Nurburgring I find extremely hard. I simply can't get the car to grip. I am 5th off the diamond time and I loose huge chunks in the first and second sector. Pretty much a dead end. This one is by far harder than any of the others so far.

I ask myself how, just how? Watched @GOTMAXPOWER his lap (impressive) and Lewis his lap. Don't know how you guys do this but I simply loose 3th in the first part leading up to the hairpin. I mean come on :banghead:

I suppose people will know if 8 hours will bring that sort of improvement for them. I've spent 8 hours, even more, on some combinations in the past, so I know how my performance progresses. I start off making huge improvements, but the curve of my lap times vs time spent practising is asymptotic, and the asymptote is not at 0.6% away from world #1, at least not for Gr.3, maybe just maybe I could manage 0.6% for N100, depending on the track (I've done 0.7% for N100 in the past). I get to the stage where my rate of further improvement is basically zero.

Well done on your achievement, though, I'm certainly not trying to take away from that, I just think that not everyone who initially struggles to get gold will be able to improve to diamond standard if they spend 8 hours on it. I don't know what % of people will be able to make that improvement over that time period, but I wouldn't have thought it can be that many unless most people have just never spent that amount of time practising one car and track combination in the past.

I think you’re right but I believe it’s mostly a confidence/time issue at that point. You have access to the game whenever you want (can as we all work and have a life haha) and the events don’t change every two weeks like the other ones. Everything is static unlike in real life so if you have faith in yourself and are willing to go through hours of struggle and frustrating upsets like this:
1ACA19CD-6B3C-480C-8681-B51AAA4A12E7.jpeg
I think you can get there with all the footage and support from people in the GTS community. This challenge is an opportunity to clean up your driving technique and learn new things. You have to give yourself a chance (or a 1000+ chances) if you really want it. Took me 8 hours to get 1:11.226 then 10 minutes on my other account to get roughly the same lap time so the practice paid off. It got easier to do it again.

Last edited:
I think you’re right but I believe it’s mostly a confidence/time issue at that point. You have access to the game whenever you want (can as we all work and have a life haha) and the events don’t change every two weeks like the other ones. Everything is static unlike in real life so if you have faith in yourself and are willing to go through hours of struggle and frustrating upsets like this:
I think you can get there with all the footage and support from people in the GTS community. This challenge is an opportunity to clean up your driving technique and learn new things. You have to give yourself a chance (or a 1000+ chances) if you really want it. Took me 8 hours to get 1:11.226 then 10 minutes on my other account to get roughly the same lap time so the practice paid off. It got easier to do it again.
I tried Bathurst yesterday, which isn't a track I've ever raced. Setting aside the horrendous rest of the track, I must have taken that first corner about 50 times yesterday. Brake, turn, accelerate. I watched his replay, he's doing exactly what I'm trying to do. Every time I'm at least 0.05 down on him by T2. I didn't improve after 50 tries, and when I'm 0.1 down by T2 rather than 0.05 down, I have no idea what exactly it was that made me 0.05 slower than my best attempts, I'm unable to discern any difference in what I did. So as I can't tell what I'm doing that is better or worse, I can't learn to repeat the right things and avoid the wrong things, as I'm just not able to discern differences at that level, it's the limit of my ability.

You see the same thing in swimming, for example. I once saw Ryan Lochte say in an interview that he felt anyone could win an Olympic gold medal at swimming if they were willing to do the training required. It's the same thing, a static unchanging challenge that you can take on over weeks, months, years. But almost the entire human population lacks the ability to discern the tiny technique differences needed to swim at that standard, and will never be that good, even if they train for 4 hours a day every day for the next 10 years.

I tried Bathurst yesterday, which isn't a track I've ever raced. Setting aside the horrendous rest of the track, I must have taken that first corner about 50 times yesterday. Brake, turn, accelerate. I watched his replay, he's doing exactly what I'm trying to do. Every time I'm at least 0.05 down on him by T2. I didn't improve after 50 tries, and when I'm 0.1 down by T2 rather than 0.05 down, I have no idea what exactly it was that made me 0.05 slower than my best attempts, I'm unable to discern any difference in what I did. So as I can't tell what I'm doing that is better or worse, I can't learn to repeat the right things and avoid the wrong things, as I'm just not able to discern differences at that level, it's the limit of my ability.

You see the same thing in swimming, for example. I once saw Ryan Lochte say in an interview that he felt anyone could win an Olympic gold medal at swimming if they were willing to do the training required. It's the same thing, a static unchanging challenge that you can take on over weeks, months, years. But almost the entire human population lacks the ability to discern the tiny technique differences needed to swim at that standard, and will never be that good, even if they train for 4 hours a day every day for the next 10 years.

I guess that’s another thing to consider. Let’s just put it into perspective though. The goal isn’t to win an olympic gold medal in real life. You don’t need a professional trainer, a psychologist, a dietitian, access to training facilities, rich parents (though it could help if you can’t afford a wheel and you’re feeling disconnected with a controller). There’s about a 5 tenths gap between the olympic gold equivalent (P1 on the leaderboard) and the target time. You don’t have to target that 1:10.8xx. If you have unrealistic expectations, you’ll fail before you’ve even tried it.

I guess that’s another thing to consider. Let’s just put it into perspective though. The goal isn’t to win an olympic gold medal in real life. You don’t need a professional trainer, a psychologist, a dietitian, access to training facilities, rich parents (though it could help if you can’t afford a wheel and you’re feeling disconnected with a controller). There’s about a 5 tenths gap between the olympic gold equivalent (P1 on the leaderboard) and the target time. You don’t have to target that 1:10.8xx. If you have unrealistic expectations, you’ll fail before you’ve even tried it.
The point was that not everyone has the same ability, rather than the specific level. You could set the bar at 10% slower than an Olympic gold medallist and most people still wouldn't be able to do it, no matter how much training they did.

The point was that not everyone has the same ability, rather than the specific level. You could set the bar at 10% slower than an Olympic gold medallist and most people still wouldn't be able to do it, no matter how much training they did.

I guess so. If you can get a gold time though... You’re skilled enough to get to a diamond if you try hard. If you barely get bronze/silver, that’s another issue. I was saying: There’s hope if you, like me, were struggling just to get gold on Willow. As you’re saying, not everyone has the same ability to understand what’s going wrong and make changes accordingly. However, if you got gold, I believe you can do it. Don’t let your mind play tricks on you. #StayStrong #NeverGiveUp

I think the way to diamond times is simply an iterative process. First, you do a couple of laps to see what your natural speed is, but once you know the approximate markers for your breaking points, you try to get closer and closer to (or be ahead of) the ghost through T1. Then repeat with T2, asf.

You might arrive at a point where you don’t know how to take a turn as fast as needed, but then you try different techniques and suddenly you get over that hump and find more progress. I had that twice at Dragon Trail through the esses and the chicane, but now I know what I first had no idea how to do, is possible.

I find this quite addictive.

I think you're right. I'm struggling like hell with the Ring! Haven't even got bronze there yet :dunce: !! Italy and Brazil were fine, silver on first or second attempt, but the Ring.... bottom line is I'm faster on this track in a slower car..... this Sauber is fast and my reaction times have diminished with age.... I will get bronze, I may get silver..... but gold unlikely and diamond, forget it! :cheers:

I think the way to diamond times is simply an iterative process. First, you do a couple of laps to see what your natural speed is, but once you know the approximate markers for your breaking points, you try to get closer and closer to (or be ahead of) the ghost through T1. Then repeat with T2, asf.

You might arrive at a point where you don’t know how to take a turn as fast as needed, but then you try different techniques and suddenly you get over that hump and find more progress. I had that twice at Dragon Trail through the esses and the chicane, but now I know what I first had no idea how to do, is possible.
It's certainly the case that everyone will improve to some extent with practice. Different people start at different levels, and improve at different rates with practice, and have different amounts of total improvement. Everyone follows the process you describe above, but it doesn't result in everyone reaching diamond standard, otherwise the daily race leaderboards would look very different. Some facts about this subject here, debunking the "10,000 hours" myth:
https://www.6seconds.org/2018/02/09...hat-you-actually-need-to-know-about-practice/

E.g. "Deliberate practice hours predicted 26% of the skill variation in games such as chess, 21% for music, and 18% for sports"

That’s random but:

E4347020-A058-4C22-BA1E-D88A457FC5DE.jpeg

When you’re so rich the game can’t quantify your wealth :lol: UNKNOWN!

And I wish you could run sector time trials too. It would help so much as it’s easy to master the first sector then bin it as you’ve barely practiced the remain sectors. Just complete laps even though you’re down on the target time. I wish they’d bring back the white line on track we had in GT5 or GT6 as an alternative to the ghost! It was very fun as you could put more than one and compare with friends in real time.

I wish they’d bring back the white line on track we had in GT5 or GT6 as an alternative to the ghost! It was very fun as you could put more than one and compare with friends in real time.
Next update PD be like "Indroducing online time trial comparison with friends" but instead of 10 lines we get 10 ghosts :lol:

FINALLY got my first Diamond at Dragon Trail after about 5 hours total (by about 0.040 seconds). Wow I hated it. I was about 0.5 seconds quicker in total, but that chicane got me every time.

I just can not imagine Willow being more difficult. Really excited to find out, if I will really need more time for this one..

Already seen it, I'm good :lol:

FINALLY got my first Diamond at Dragon Trail after about 5 hours total (by about 0.040 seconds). Wow I hated it. I was about 0.5 seconds quicker in total, but that chicane got me every time.

I just can not imagine Willow being more difficult. Really excited to find out, if I will really need more time for this one..

Lewis has a crazy good run through the chicane of death. I had maybe 40-50 tries before I got diamond and only once I had a better run through there than him. The rest were usually hitting the wall on the right.

I wish we could just drive lap after lap, not just one, than restart, it breaks the flow. I mean Lewis probably did it that way, we should be allowed too.

Already seen it, I'm good :lol:

Lewis has a crazy good run through the chicane of death. I had maybe 40-50 tries before I got diamond and only once I had a better run through there than him. The rest were usually hitting the wall on the right.

I wish we could just drive lap after lap, not just one, than restart, it breaks the flow. I mean Lewis probably did it that way, we should be allowed too.

Funny thing is I also only managed 2 times going through there better than him. And I did about 70-100 tries.

Next update PD be like "Indroducing online time trial comparison with friends" but instead of 10 lines we get 10 ghosts :lol:
GT6 did this, but with blue lines. It was awesome, and insanely distracting too.

Great job! I had to brush the wall on entry to nail the chicane haha!

GT6 did this, but with blue lines. It was awesome, and insanely distracting too.

They were great! I miss that feature in GTS :(

Back