Complete Guide/Rewards - Lewis Hamilton Time Attack Challenge

• Thread starter mclarenLB
  • 686 comments
I think he's referring to the fact that Lewis did these laps on a previous version of GT Sport where the physics engine was slightly different (it had more oversteer and less understeer). Someone in this thread made a really good post about it, where basically Lewis is advantaged on medium to high speed corners, and loses out on low speed corners due to the differences in the physics.

Exactly.

Just bought this DLC few days ago...I am just an average casual driver (DR: D, SR:S) and struggling to get Gold in DTS (currently in Silver) but hey this is really fun to play!

I wonder what lap time can LH44 do in real world on those non-frictional tracks with the same car...i would say probably a few seconds quicker even.....? :D

I used to hate the young LH44 so much due to his arrogance but he is so much more mature now and becoming a true legend! (well, you do need some degree of arrogance in such a competitive sports)

Last edited:
After a bit of time away from this and reduced time in GTS in general I had some time to try getting my last outstanding diamond; big willow. I've finally figured out how to do turn 5 (the last quick left turn) and realised I need to fix my technique at the omega (turn 3 and 4, the left into sweeping right after the long sweeping right) where I'm still losing a tenth or two to Lewis. Got it down to a 1:11.361, just half a tenth to go. :banghead:

Got Gold on the Nordschleife and with that I completed my goal of getting all golds in the DLC :gtpflag:
Overall this DLC was a lot of fun! Took a while to get used to the car but when it connected it was actually quite fun, even on
Willow Springs :D
For reference, this is how much time I spent on each track to obtain Gold:
Willow Springs 3hrs
Mount Panorama 1,5hrs
Brands Hatch 30mins
Monza 10mins
Interlagos 25mins
Nurburgring GP 30mins
Suzuka 30mins
Lago Maggiore 10mins
Dragon Trail 20mins
Nordschleife 7 laps

Managed to get Diamond on Monza and Dragon Trail. On Lagio Maggiore I'm 0.178 short :boggled:

To make things more interesting I decided to do the Nordschleife in cockpit view and without HUD. It was pretty immersive to say the least!
The car is definitely a handful and the track is very unforgiving.

I've been sporadically trying to diamond the last 5 I have left (Bathurst, Suzuka, Nurb GP, Willow, Brands).

Nurb GP I'm 0.1 secs off so it's all just about time getting that lucky lap really.

Brands I got the first 4 corners right, but that triple right hander in the forest is what kills me. I lost all my time to Lewis there. Then the last 2 corners just depends on my nerves but at least I know what to do there. Westfield & Sheene Curve are always a mystery to me.

Willow I was 0.5 secs off when I got my gold time. Again, first half of the track is okay but I can't figure out how to use the dirt on entry for the last left of Omega and haven't found a consistent line thru the last turn. Gonna leave this for last for sure.

Suzuka and Bathurst I'm still 1 sec off diamond. The car still handles like a truck in the esses and top of the mountain. It's gonna be a painful slog to get those times down.

The last 4 tracks are especially evil because unlike Monza/Interlagos/DT/Maggiore/Nurb GP there's not really any obvious corners you can cut and exploit track limits, so you have no way of compensating for Lewis' physics advantage :ouch:

Also somewhat unorthodox method, I'm also practicing these tracks in AC/ACC to get better in GTS. Because the physics and FFB are higher fidelity and mistakes are amplified, it's a LOT easier to see where your deficiencies are and what to do to improve. Everything is just so numb in GT unless you look at the delta you have no idea how you're gaining/losing time sometimes :crazy:

Last edited:
Bear with me, stuck at home, slowly losing my mind. How much do you think I lost here? It's the exit of the 2nd, Little Karussell. Half a second? Maybe more? It's a Gold, nothing special.

I do these when there is a weekly race with the class/track(like recent brands hatch).
But I do really try super hard as I don't like that ultra-understeer Mercedes AMG.

After 2 weeks of lockdown here in Spain, the boredom eventually drove me to order a G29 and wheelstand pro from Amazon.

The wheel arrived Saturday, and despite being bolted to a coffee table, at knee height, I has a go at Dragons Trail and Nurburgring as I was close to platinum at both tracks with the pad. Both came relatively easily.

The stand arrived yesterday afternoon, so I decided to try Brands. Took a while to get in to the swing as it's well over a year since I last used a wheel (T300) - primarily getting the feel back for braking. Managed to platinum BH after an hour or so. Then moved on to Bathurst, a track I don't really get on with. Several hours later I was still 0.042 off platinum, so parked that for another day and moved on to Interlagos... which took all of 15 mins.

Today I decided to tackle Willow, as most say this is the hardest - I didn't want to leave it until last, and get frustrated at not managing it... I felt confident I could get the other 3 as I'm already really close at Bathurst, and I'm usually fast at Suzuka and Nurb GP... didn't quite go to plan :lol:

Surprisingly, Willow was platinum in under an hour... picked up loads of time on LH in T2, and held the advantage through the final corner.

At this stage I thought I was going to rip through Suzuka and Nurb, then move on to Bathurst and be done by the end of the day. Many hours later I was still 0.0.17 off at Suzuka and tearing my hair out. The understeer in the log medium speed corners (Esses, Dunlop, Spoon), and the difficulty getting the Merc to change direction was killing any consistency... but the real problem was the chicane, where I was losing 0.2 every time I had a decent lap going. When I finally got platinum, it was a lap I'd written off half way through, and just continued for practice... then I nailed Spoon, 130r and somehow the chicane... picked up over 0.3 from the hairpin, and beat the target time by 0.04.

Back to Bathurst next, then finish with Nurb GP.

This event is exactly what I both love and hate about GT...

Love the challenge of a good time trial - chipping tenths (or fractions) off, chasing a ghost, finding better lines etc.

Hate the what PD have done to the handling of the cars since an update half way through GT6, when they added massive amounts of rear toe to the standard settings, making nearly every car an understeering mess.... and it’s the same now in GTS. I know the game has to playable by entry level pad users, but does every car need to turn like an ocean liner? The basic physics engine isn't bad, but the stock settings of massive rear positive toe, massive negative front toe, and high LSD decel just ruin any natural rotation the cars have.

Last edited:
After 2 weeks of lockdown here in Spain, the boredom eventually drove me to order a G29 and wheelstand pro from Amazon.

The wheel arrived Saturday, and despite being bolted to a coffee table, at knee height, I has a go at Dragons Trail and Nurburgring as I was close to platinum at both tracks with the pad. Both came relatively easily.

The stand arrived yesterday afternoon, so I decided to try Brands. Took a while to get in to the swing as it's well over a year since I last used a wheel (T300) - primarily getting the feel back for braking. Managed to platinum BH after an hour or so. Then moved on to Bathurst, a track I don't really get on with. Several hours later I was still 0.042 off platinum, so parked that for another day and moved on to Interlagos... which took all of 15 mins.

Today I decided to tackle Willow, as most say this is the hardest - I didn't want to leave it until last, and get frustrated at not managing it... I felt confident I could get the other 3 as I'm already really close at Bathurst, and I'm usually fast at Suzuka and Nurb GP... didn't quite go to plan :lol:

Surprisingly, Willow was platinum in under an hour... picked up loads of time on LH in T2, and held the advantage through the final corner.

At this stage I thought I was going to rip through Suzuka and Nurb, then move on to Bathurst and be done by the end of the day. Many hours later I was still 0.0.17 off at Suzuka and tearing my hair out. The understeer in the log medium speed corners (Esses, Dunlop, Spoon), and the difficulty getting the Merc to change direction was killing any consistency... but the real problem was the chicane, where I was losing 0.2 every time I had a decent lap going. When I finally got platinum, it was a lap I'd written off half way through, and just continued for practice... then I nailed Spoon, 130r and somehow the chicane... picked up over 0.3 from the hairpin, and beat the target time by 0.04.

Back to Bathurst next, then finish with Nurb GP.

This event is exactly what I both love and hate about GT...

Love the challenge of a good time trial - chipping tenths (or fractions) off, chasing a ghost, finding better lines etc.

Hate the what PD have done to the handling of the cars since an update half way through GT5, when they added massive amounts of rear toe to the standard settings, making nearly every car an understeering mess.... which remained through GT6 and now in GTS. I know the game has to playable by entry level pad users, but does every car need to turn like an ocean liner? The basic physics engine isn't bad, but the stock settings of massive rear positive toe, massive negative front toe, and high LSD decel just ruin any natural rotation the cars have.

I'm just astonished how many of you rip through the diamonds with such ease and such a low amount of time. I play the game regularly and needed HOURS for the 5 diamonds I managed. For Interlagos I needed about 5 hours. I just don't understand how so many of you found it so easy. Lake Maggiore and Nordschleife were MUCH easier to me. Using a T-GT btw.

So yeah, much respect to you!

I'm just astonished how many of you rip through the diamonds with such ease and such a low amount of time. I play the game regularly and needed HOURS for the 5 diamonds I managed. For Interlagos I needed about 5 hours. I just don't understand how so many of you found it so easy. Lake Maggiore and Nordschleife were MUCH easier to me. Using a T-GT btw.

Thanks, but easy is relative.., Kei did the whole thing, live on line, in 2 hours... however, I’m not too slow for an old fart :lol:

I’d got platinum at Maggiore with the pad,... might try it with the wheel, but there are so many other cars I haven’t even driven with a wheel I need to try at the ‘Ring 1st :D

Hate the what PD have done to the handling of the cars since an update half way through GT5, when they added massive amounts of rear toe to the standard settings, making nearly every car an understeering mess.... which remained through GT6 and now in GTS. I know the game has to playable by entry level pad users, but does every car need to turn like an ocean liner? The basic physics engine isn't bad, but the stock settings of massive rear positive toe, massive negative front toe, and high LSD decel just ruin any natural rotation the cars have.

Is that what happened? Back in GT5 Prologue I was really competitive with you and the other KOR guys, then I was suddenly slow when GT5 came out. Realized months later my brake pedal would randomly come on 10% or so. New wheel/pedals, still not as fast as I was before. I slowly picked up the pace over the years but am much better in mid/rear or low grip cars and struggle with race cars/downforce, it's all understeer to me at that level.

I've picked up a Ricmotech load cell for my Thrustmaster pedals, and after dicking with the setup for a couple months I am starting to get a better feel for the braking. I had to put a bolt through the pedal body to make a hard 'stop' so the calibration would hold and not be too firm. I'm more consistent now coming off the brakes-for me that's where all the time is made up.

Still struggling with Brands, I can be .250 up and lose it all in the final 2 corners. I'm .017 off Diamond, it's torture!

Is that what happened? Back in GT5 Prologue I was really competitive with you and the other KOR guys, then I was suddenly slow when GT5 came out. Realized months later my brake pedal would randomly come on 10% or so. New wheel/pedals, still not as fast as I was before. I slowly picked up the pace over the years but am much better in mid/rear or low grip cars and struggle with race cars/downforce, it's all understeer to me at that level.

I've picked up a Ricmotech load cell for my Thrustmaster pedals, and after dicking with the setup for a couple months I am starting to get a better feel for the braking. I had to put a bolt through the pedal body to make a hard 'stop' so the calibration would hold and not be too firm. I'm more consistent now coming off the brakes-for me that's where all the time is made up.

Still struggling with Brands, I can be .250 up and lose it all in the final 2 corners. I'm .017 off Diamond, it's torture!

The academy event just before the launch of GT6 had brilliant physics, and GT6 was pretty close when it 1st launched. But a lot of the MR cars were hard to drive unless you were pretty skilled (they were tail happy on turn in and had a lot of lift off oversteer)... I can't remember when exactly, but there was an update which increased rear toe to +0.60 and front toe to -0.25 on nearly every car... the rear toe made the cars much more stable on turn in, and I guess they added the front toe to try and make the steering feel a bit quicker to off set this.

But the rear toe just killed all the entry rotation, and combined with the front toe, created massive push when you picked up even a small amount of throttle mid corner. The Merc in this event is truly horrible for mid corner and exit push (you can get around the entry understeer somewhat by running some rear brake bias and trail braking).

Didn't matter so much in GT6 as you could tune in pretty much any event you ran - so you could just take it all off. But in GTS pretty much everything is fixed settings.

The basic physics engine is not bad once you set the toe to sensible levels and reduce the LSD decel, but for the most part, stock cars just have massive understeer everywhere.

GL with Brands!

edited: stock settings changed during GT6, not GT5!

Last edited:
Done... 200 miles this morning to finish Bathurst and Nurburgring GP... the understeer is finally over, and also picked up the final few cars I was missing to get every car in the game.

Just missing the platinum trophy, but not sure I have the motivation to run the necessary on line races to get that.

If you think that's fast, watch Igor and Mikhail's stream. With the exception of a 2-3 restarts, they got platinum in one try for all of these :crazy: Truly insane.

Obviously who knows if they practiced the combos beforehand, but beating LH is like a Sunday drive for these guys :bowdown:

The academy event just before the launch of GT6 had brilliant physics, and GT6 was pretty close when it 1st launched. But a lot of the MR cars were hard to drive unless you were pretty skilled (they were tail happy on turn in and had a lot of lift off oversteer)... I can't remember when exactly, but there was an update which increased rear toe to +0.60 and front toe to -0.25 on nearly every car... the rear toe made the cars much more stable on turn in, and I guess they added the front toe to try and make the steering feel a bit quicker to off set this.

But the rear toe just killed all the entry rotation, and combined with the front toe, created massive push when you picked up even a small amount of throttle mid corner. The Merc in this event is truly horrible for mid corner and exit push (you can get around the entry understeer somewhat by running some rear brake bias and trail braking).

Didn't matter so much in GT6 as you could tune in pretty much any event you ran - so you could just take it all off. But in GTS pretty much everything is fixed settings.

The basic physics engine is not bad once you set the toe to sensible levels and reduce the LSD decel, but for the most part, stock cars just have massive understeer everywhere.

GL with Brands!

edited: stock settings changed during GT6, not GT5!

It's not just the default setup, around late last year before the update that brought rain conditions to GT Sport PD changed the physics so all cars have more rear grip relative to fronts. Probably to make it easier to drive in the rain. Unfortunately, they never changed the default setups and the result is terminal understeer under power for all cars that were previously balanced :banghead: On the flipside, some cars that were liftoff oversteer death traps before (e.g. Ferrari Gr.3) are now much more manageable, but those cases are few. Most cars in default form are ruined.

I'm hoping the upcoming "handling adjustment" changes brings the physics back in line to early last year. The cars feel a lot more "free"and fun to drive back then.

Re: platinum, with your skills it should be easily doable. Just focus on the Daily A races. Often they are the most forgotten so not a lot of people play. Set a good quali, and only race early morning or late nights so you get less good drivers. Just set a goal of 1 win per day and you should have it in 3 months or so ;)

If you think that's fast, watch Igor and Mikhail's stream. With the exception of a 2-3 restarts, they got platinum in one try for all of these :crazy: Truly insane.

Obviously who knows if they practiced the combos beforehand, but beating LH is like a Sunday drive for these guys :bowdown:

It's not just the default setup, around late last year before the update that brought rain conditions to GT Sport PD changed the physics so all cars have more rear grip relative to fronts. Probably to make it easier to drive in the rain. Unfortunately, they never changed the default setups and the result is terminal understeer under power for all cars that were previously balanced :banghead: On the flipside, some cars that were liftoff oversteer death traps before (e.g. Ferrari Gr.3) are now much more manageable, but those cases are few. Most cars in default form are ruined.

I'm hoping the upcoming "handling adjustment" changes brings the physics back in line to early last year. The cars feel a lot more "free"and fun to drive back then.

Re: platinum, with your skills it should be easily doable. Just focus on the Daily A races. Often they are the most forgotten so not a lot of people play. Set a good quali, and only race early morning or late nights so you get less good drivers. Just set a goal of 1 win per day and you should have it in 3 months or so ;)

They really often got diamond in one try?

aliens.gif

Truly insane.

I remember seeing the video of Fraga doing this when it popped up in my youtube suggestions. Beating every track first time while talking over it in English, Portuguese and Japanese all at the same time. Obscene.

I finally downloaded this the other day and hit a wall quite quickly. I'm pretty sure I would be able to get gold on all of them with an hour or two each (maybe longer for rubbish tracks like Willow Spring and Brands Hatch), but I'd need to actually learn to drive properly to beat Hamilton's times.

Excited to read how Suzuka went. It actually might be the hardest one.

My initial laps were promising but who knows what it will take to get the last tenths. It's mostly mental at some point if you can run the sector times, with Brands it took a lot longer to put them together than to figure out how to drive it.

I'm bored, so I'm going to share a little glitch found on the Nordschleife time trial: how to make Lewis start 3 seconds ahead of you.
First, LH ghost offset must be set to +2. Then exit, go to a normal arcade time trial at Nordschleife (noon), choose a Sauber c9, load a ghost saved from LH Time attack, start the time trial and exit (I think there's not even need to cross the starting line). Go back to Lewis time trial challenge and you'll see his ghost delayed to +3 (visually, though it's still +2 in the settings)
Is it useless? Yes and no, depending on what time you're trying to achieve and whether you need a farther ghost to chase.

Last edited:
I'm bored, so I'm going to share a little glitch found on the Nordschleife time trial: how to make Lewis start 3 seconds ahead of you.
First, LH ghost offset must be set to +2. Then exit, go to a normal arcade time trial at Nordschleife (noon), choose a Sauber c9, load a ghost saved from LH Time attack, start the time trial and exit (I think there's not even need to cross the starting line). Go back to Lewis time trial challenge and you'll see his ghost delayed to +3 (visually, though it's still +2 in the settings)
Is it useless? Yes and no, depending on what time you're trying to achieve and whether you need a farther ghost to chase.

So bizarre...

Update: Without a lot of laps (relative to Brands) I'm .230 or so off the Diamond time at Suzuka. I find it easier here to pick different lines from Lewis and catch him on corner exits in a way I never did at Brands or Willow.

All 10 LH challenges in different replay views. 5 golds/5 diamonds.

1. Brands Hatch: Difficulty level is: 8/10. My gold time: 1.23.402. LH time: 1.22.965
2. Mount Panorama: Difficulty level is: 8/10. My gold time: 02.02.574. LH time: 02.01.477
3. Nürburgring GP: Difficulty level is: 9/10. My gold time: 1.56.466. LH time: 1.55.368
4. Suzuka: Difficulty level is: 10/10. My gold time: 1.59.833. LH time: 1.58.508
5. Willow Springs: Difficulty level is: 10/10. Hardest challenge of all. My gold time: 1.11.985. LH time: 1.11.308
6. Monza: Difficulty level: 2/10. My diamond time: 1.46.965. LH time: 1.46.972. The easiest of all 10 challenges no doubt.
7. Lake Maggiore: Difficulty level is: 7/10. My diamond time: 1.55.448. LH time: 1.55.455
8. Interlagos: Difficulty level is: 8/10. My diamond time: 1.30.855. LH time: 1.30.923. Important tip for this challenge especially: Put ABS on weak. It made all the difference for me and only that way was I capable of beating his time.
9. Dragon Trail: Difficulty level is: 8/10. My diamond time: 1.37.023. LH time: 1.37.094
10. Nordschleife: Difficulty level is: 4/10. My diamond time: 5.39.531. LH time: 5.40.622

NOT gonna bother on improving further.

Really loving the new physics. Whittled my time at Suzuka and Bathurst down to within 0.6 secs of LH after an hour each. Car is so much more responsive to turn in now, and the nose doesn't just lift and create understeer on throttle.

At Suzuka my biggest time loss is Spoon (no surprise as I've always been rubbish here), and surprisingly the final chicane. Hard braking definitely requires a lot more finesse with the new physics.

At Bathurst it's T2 (the uphill right hander after the long first straight) and also the final chicane (same reason as above).

Other track gaps: Willow +0.4 sec, Brands +0.5 sec (both of these look small but due to the short course they are larger than it seems), Nurb GP +0.1 sec.

It's difficult but I see light at the end of the tunnel. We'll get him folks :mischievous: 👍

Last edited:
Back