Complete Guide/Rewards - Lewis Hamilton Time Attack Challenge

• Thread starter mclarenLB
  • 686 comments
My thoughts on the DLC (I haven’t caught up with this thread since Friday and just skimmed it, so apologies if I’m retreading some points):

I really like it. The challenge is nice, although, on some tracks, pretty brutal.

I’ve got Diamond on Dragon Trail, Interlagos, Monza, and the Nordschleife, Gold on all the others.

On Brands, I’m missing 0.035s – I’ve got the individual sectors, but never really got everything nailed down. Sheene and Stirlings continue to catch me out.

On Willow Springs, I’m pretty close – within 0.2s of Lewis’s time, IIRC. The problem is not the endlessly long T2, but rather the combination of the three corners that follows. Lewis is able to position the car over the bumps in a way that I just can’t seem to emulate.

On Lago Maggiore I’m usually missing five or six tenths – all of them accrued in the final section coming out of the hairpin. This is one of the times where I’m feeling the understeer the strongest.

Suzuka is another weird one – I can keep up until Degner, and then it’s a slow and steady loss through the hairpin, Spoon and the final chicane. Again well within the Gold time, but not really troubling Lewis.

The Nürburgring… ugh. just losing a little but everywhere, all the time. It’s not a track I frequent, so inexperience may play a role here.

And finally, Bathurst – I’m surprisingly close, 0.3s. I’m pants at Forrests’s Elbow (endless understeer) and the Chase, though.

A remark on the Nordschleife: I’ve found that this mainly comes down to not pushing too hard for the ultimate lap time, but rather focusing on keeping it clean. I was comfortably ahead until Galgenkopf, not pushing too hard, but then I ran wide and actually fell behind. I thought about quitting, but was curious to see what would happen. I went past Antoniusbuche 0.3s down, and came to the line 0.4s ahead. Pretty glad I didn’t quit that lap…

I really like the challenge, and currently achieving Silver on most tracks, striving for Gold. I would like to understand what settings the best performers out there are using, to see if perhaps that can help me. I am wondering about the following;

1) Where do you position the camera when driving? Behind the car, so that you see the entire car and track (does that make it easier with hitting the apexes)? Or seeing just the hood of the car, like in the videos from "mclarenB" who started this thread? Which is the "best" camera view to use, to make driving as easy as possible?

2) Do you have the ABS on "default" or "weak"? Does it matter?

3) Do you use Traction Control?

4) Do you adjust the brake balance?

5) Any other tips for adjustments?

Grateful for tips on those basics!

I use the hoodview with brake balance to -3 or -4. ABS default. Rest nothing.

The moment you put brake balance to the rear the turn in is worse and you need to brake earlier. It doesn't fit my drivingstyle. I've seen other doing it the other way around. You'll need to figure that one out on your own.

I really like the challenge, and currently achieving Silver on most tracks, striving for Gold. I would like to understand what settings the best performers out there are using, to see if perhaps that can help me. I am wondering about the following;

1) Where do you position the camera when driving? Behind the car, so that you see the entire car and track (does that make it easier with hitting the apexes)? Or seeing just the hood of the car, like in the videos from "mclarenB" who started this thread? Which is the "best" camera view to use, to make driving as easy as possible?

2) Do you have the ABS on "default" or "weak"? Does it matter?

3) Do you use Traction Control?

4) Do you adjust the brake balance?

5) Any other tips for adjustments?

Grateful for tips on those basics!

1. Your favourite view is the best view. At the world tour events, about 80% of drivers use hood or bumper view but there are chase cam users too. It really is purely personal preference and nothing else.

2. Default.

3. No. It definitely slows you down.

4. Mostly no. You can get away with 0 for most or all these challenges. Front bias makes the car stop quicker but gives more understeer. Rear bias makes the car stop slower but you get less understeer/more oversteer. I used 0 on all of them but 2 rear at Willow.

5. Countersteer assist off, manual gears.

Picked this up yesterday and am finding it a bit tricky. I’m fairly average and eventually can gold stuff like circuit experience (aside from the ‘ring) eventually. But against Lewis I’m struggling to get silver on the few tracks I’ve done so far. I might have dust off my G29 as I can be frequently ~1 second down after the first corner!

Picked this up yesterday and am finding it a bit tricky. I’m fairly average and eventually can gold stuff like circuit experience (aside from the ‘ring) eventually. But against Lewis I’m struggling to get silver on the few tracks I’ve done so far. I might have dust off my G29 as I can be frequently ~1 second down after the first corner!

Yup, gold in these challenges is not at the same level as gold in the rest of the offline game!

Welp gave it a go last night - after several laps on each track I got all silvers and 2 golds - Monza and Maggiore. Diamonds will definitely take some patience.

I think I'll just do some regular time trials before the attempts - the flow of doing lap after lap suits me better for learning and getting times down.

Hopefully all GT solo challenges from here on out will up the difficulty a bit. ( how it always was )

👍

And on the other side of the coin, here's a B-rated driver trying to chase Lewis.

GT back to it's infuriating, frustrating best!

C/C driver here, can relate!
Had my first go yesterday at only Dragon Trail, was ahead of Lewis by .1 of a second until the Esses... the downhill braking zone into T9 (I think) is really hard to get down, and I lose so much through the Chicane of Death and the final corner (had to turn on racing line for that as I just couldn't find the right line through there... next lap improved my PB by .5 of a second... 30 mins later, finally got within .25 of Lewis (1 sec quicker than previous PB) and then I gave up for the day XD)

This is definitely a challenge. I was able to silver all of them within a couple of attempts.
I golded Monza after only a few attempts and just golded Interlagos after numerous attempts. For Interlagos, I ended up using TCS 3 and BB -5. I couldn’t come close otherwise.
Next will be Lake Maggiore (less than 1 sec from gold) and Bathurst (- .516).
The rest will take a lot of time....
I don’t know if I will ever beat LH times...even my golds are a second off of his and I drove my best to get that!

Watch his ghost lap. It would show you how he’s doing it and figure out how incorporate it into your lap.
Good luck everybody!

And the last one I will upload. If you really know the Nordschleife this one shouldn't be that big a problem. I think many people struggle against the track which makes it very hard to even think of matching Lewis' times.

Mt. Painintheassa, I've never liked this track, and avoided it like the plague, now my lap times show it. Took me over an hour just to get silver, and don't see gold happening. I thought Suzuka would give me trouble, but silvered it on the first lap, I should be able to get gold. Got all of them silver, with a gold at Monza, and was hoping to gold them all, but the mountain is going to throw a wrench in that for sure.

Because of this challenge, I was able to buy the Jaguar D-Type yesterday! I never thought I'd get it. Something tells me that an event like this with such massive payouts won't happen again. This challenge is a once in lifetime opportunity. And you know what's crazy? Years ago when Hamilton won his first championship, I was imagining what it would be like to race against him in Gran Turismo 4 with a controller. 11 years later, that dream is now a reality. Sort of.:lol:

Excited to try these challenges after reading the comments. I was really into Assetto Corsa challenges - I was able to Gold 3 of them after hours and hours of trying lol. I'm assuming this will be similar. Anyone able to explain how difficult the Hamilton one's are to Diamond compared to getting gold in Assetto Corsa?

Thanks!

I'm no alien myself but I achieved a pair of Diamonds at Dragon Trail and Monza and Gold everywhere else.

Any other attempts on more Diamonds would probably drive me mad but I got the credit limits unlocked to 100 million, so I'm happy.

Excited to try these challenges after reading the comments. I was really into Assetto Corsa challenges - I was able to Gold 3 of them after hours and hours of trying lol. I'm assuming this will be similar. Anyone able to explain how difficult the Hamilton one's are to Diamond compared to getting gold in Assetto Corsa?

Thanks!
Well I guess it depends on the challenge. Some of them in Assetto are even possible with a controller but others are impossible for me. Not necessarily because of the difficulty though. It's just that Assetto is a pain in the ass with a pad. The Hamilton challenge is possible with both wheel and DS4 but the times on some tracks are really fast and need some serious laps from the majority of the playerbase.

I'm quite new to the game and online racing, C driver atm. I bronzed most of them quite easy - Northschleife took some time to learn but after some laps i bronzed that as well. Last night a started at the top again and got silver on all except gold at Monza and Interlagos. Seems like quite a challenge to gold them all for a newbie like me, but should be doable with some more practice. Really good challenge to improve skills and learn the tracks - and it made me quite a bit faster at the daily races as well.

I'm precisely 0.2 seconds off Hamilton's time at Suzuka with a DS4 and I cannot improve any further.
This mode is specifically designed for a wheel, I feel like I have hit my limit with it and need to upgrade to a wheel.
Unless someone has beaten the Diamond time at Suzuka with a DS4 with a video to go with it, that would be helpful.

I'm precisely 0.2 seconds off Hamilton's time at Suzuka with a DS4 and I cannot improve any further.
This mode is specifically designed for a wheel, I feel like I have hit my limit with it and need to upgrade to a wheel.
Unless someone has beaten the Diamond time at Suzuka with a DS4 with a video to go with it, that would be helpful.
I'm not sure if I saved the replay. I will upload it if I did

Only attempted the first one (dragons trail), 0.012 off Lewis's time. Have no trouble getting a couple of tenths ahead of Lewis but the chicane of death gets me every time. I either catch the wall or lose a couple tenths on that chicane. I have never come out faster than Lewis through there.
Any tips for the chicane of death?

So after about 3 hours or so I finally beat the Willow Springs time on controller. I don't know how i've played this game for 2 years, gotten to A+ driver rating, and never realized you can bump the steering sensitivity this whole time, but once that was done it became easier to complete. Part that confused me most of the lap is how he gets such a good run off the right hander over the crest into the final sector, other than that it's a matter of hooking up the corners clean and hoping you've nailed the right line in T2 and the final corner. Got frustrating after setting about 10+ laps within half a tenth but here's the lap:

Took me 2x 3 hours sessions to beat Lewis on Dragon Trail. Lost loads at the first left hander in sector 2 (despite being 3 tenths up at the end of sector 1!), and lost loads in the chicane of death. Ended up beating him by nearly 2 tenths. Actually punched the air when I did it. Doesn't help that his laps were clearly set on an older handling model. My BB was set 2 to the front, no TCS.

Just going to work from top to bottom until I diamond them all.

Overall I feel the content is worth the money. Its a real challenge for me as a B rated driver. Probably the most challenging GT stage since the Vettel stuff in GT5.

So I'm about to gold the DLC (2 more tracks, already *Diamonded* 6 of them), what would I do :

Do I need to spend the 15M I already have before getting the 20M reward for all golds or the 100M raised cap reward will allow me to go to 35M automatically ?

Thanks to let me know!

So I'm about to gold the DLC (2 more tracks, already *Diamonded* 6 of them), what would I do :

Do I need to spend the 15M I already have before getting the 20M reward for all golds or the 100M raised cap reward will allow me to go to 35M automatically ?

Thanks to let me know!

When you get all gold the credit cap is increased to 100M, so you're good to get all gold. Yes you'll go up to 35M.

Just make sure you spend everything before getting all diamond, as that's when you lose your credit balance as the 100M maxes out your new limit.

When you get all gold the credit cap is increased to 100M, so you're good to get all gold. Yes you'll go up to 35M.

Just make sure you spend everything before getting all diamond, as that's when you lose your credit balance as the 100M maxes out your new limit.
Ah, thanks ! I knew I had to spend all Cr before all diamonds, but I doubted if I should do the same for all golds. Thank you. And I don't think I'll manage the all diamonds, Willow (+0,3s) and Suzuka (+0,1s !) are too tough for me. I'm on the Nurb GP for now... Golded but +0,5s from Diamond...

Back