Complete Guide/Rewards - Lewis Hamilton Time Attack Challenge

• Thread starter mclarenLB
  • 686 comments
I managed to finish the time trials off last night with the last few diamonds, I would say the difficulty order is like this (hardest at the top, easiest at the bottom):

Willow Springs
Nurburgring GP
Suzuka
Brands Hatch
Interlagos
Maggiore
Nurburgring Nordschleife
Monza
Dragon Trail Seaside
Mount Panorama

Jay
Only attempted the first one (dragons trail), 0.012 off Lewis's time. Have no trouble getting a couple of tenths ahead of Lewis but the chicane of death gets me every time. I either catch the wall or lose a couple tenths on that chicane. I have never come out faster than Lewis through there.
Any tips for the chicane of death?
I'd say don't bother. Diamond isn't worth bothering with unless you can get diamond on all of them, and DTS is so much easier than many of the others that if it's a struggle to get diamond there, you've probably got no chance of getting diamond on all the rest. I got diamond by 0.2 at DTS but after a very frustrating hour at Panorama I'm still 0.4 outside even the gold time there, I reckon I've got basically zero chance of getting diamond on all 10, so I'll settle for all gold as the 100m credit cap is very much worth having. 2 tracks left to get gold on, but I've had all the frustration I can take for one day. It wouldn't be so bad if the car had decent force feedback, but there's just no feel for what the front wheels are doing, unlike other cars in the game, so I'm not finding it at all enjoyable to drive, especially on the partially wet track at Panorama.

I'd say don't bother. Diamond isn't worth bothering with unless you can get diamond on all of them, and DTS is so much easier than many of the others that if it's a struggle to get diamond there, you've probably got no chance of getting diamond on all the rest. I got diamond by 0.2 at DTS but after a very frustrating hour at Panorama I'm still 0.4 outside even the gold time there, I reckon I've got basically zero chance of getting diamond on all 10, so I'll settle for all gold as the 100m credit cap is very much worth having. 2 tracks left to get gold on, but I've had all the frustration I can take for one day. It wouldn't be so bad if the car had decent force feedback, but there's just no feel for what the front wheels are doing, unlike other cars in the game, so I'm not finding it at all enjoyable to drive, especially on the partially wet track at Panorama.
Why not bother? Every diamond you can get is an extra 1,000,000 CR over the gold time, that's a big payday compared to anything else in the game.

Why not bother? Every diamond you can get is an extra 1,000,000 CR over the gold time, that's a big payday compared to anything else in the game.
Compared to 2.2m for just leaving the PS4 running for 8 hours overnight, it's not worth bothering with for that reason. Even if you wanted to manually grind 1m, it would take less than an hour of doing races against AI. If you have a realistic chance of getting all diamond, then sure, 11m per track becomes worth it, but for people who are never, realistically, going to get diamond on all of them, I can't see that it's worth spending much time for a chance of 1m.

Compared to 2.2m for just leaving the PS4 running for 8 hours overnight, it's not worth bothering with for that reason. Even if you wanted to manually grind 1m, it would take less than an hour of doing races against AI. If you have a realistic chance of getting all diamond, then sure, 11m per track becomes worth it, but for people who are never, realistically, going to get diamond on all of them, I can't see that it's worth spending much time for a chance of 1m.
The OP is 0.012s off the 1m, surely finding that time will take less than 8 hours.

The OP is 0.012s off the 1m, surely finding that time will take less than 8 hours.
It's 8 hours spent sleeping, though, it only takes a minute or two to set it going. I'm just making the point that I think many people don't realise they're spending the time to get 1m, rather than working towards 100m. If you've never managed to be less than 1% off the #1 time for a Gr.3 daily race, then unless it's because you've just never put any effort into those qualifying laps, you've got basically zero chance of pulling off a 0.6% performance to get diamond at Willow Springs. Even Erickgtr3123 ended his stream last night without getting diamond at Willow Springs. If I'd realised at the start that there was zero chance of me getting all diamonds, I wouldn't have spent the time getting the two I have, I'd have spent it working on getting all golds instead.

I love that Sauber on the Nordschleife. That car is a joy to drive. Meanwhile, I am slowly progressing. Bathurst is done. Found it easier than Interlagos and Maggiore. I have Brands, Willow, Nurb gp and Suzuka left. Will steadily try to work through them.

I'll focus on one track and then go to the other.

You can tell that the challenge times were set a very, very long time ago, when the physics were different. Either that or Hamilton keeps lifting mid-straight at speeds over 160mph so I can catch up...
I started to think that when I saw that they used Willow Springs. Why would you ever choose that over Le Mans, Barcelona or Spa?

Another 2H session spent mostly on Bathrust - golded by 2 tenths. My first couple of laps there were 4 seconds behind gold :scared: Then Brands Hatch took just a couple of laps to gold even though I was hitting performance wall the other day. I suppose the time spent on other track gave me the much needed familiarity of the car.

I started to think that when I saw that they used Willow Springs. Why would you ever choose that over Le Mans, Barcelona or Spa?

Get the content ready, wait for Hamilton to win the title and release the DLC in optimal time frame when he's name is "hot". If Hamilton was far away in championship they would release it sooner is how I see it.

I see many of you despise Big Willow, but I have fond memories of it as my first daily race victory took place there. It doesn't have many corners, but the ones that are there are tough to get perfect.

Seeing as the top times are not even half a second faster that Hamilton's there, is this the Mission 34 of GT Sport then?

These are TOUGH. I'm .2 away from Gold at Nurb GP and .5 behind Gold at Willow. Golded the rest 'cept for The Green Hell.

I'm tempted to offer a GTP Premium for a 'very particular set of skills' :lol:

Jerome

Only played GTS casually after selling my wheel. Now I want my wheel back. Ain't no way in hell I'm ever going to beat Lewis with a controller.

Last edited:
Brands Hatch: sitting at 0.1 from diamond. I know where I loose it but with this understeering pig it is so hard to get it together. I really like the track though.

I wonder if I can do it since I hit a limit where I start overdriving the car. My whole body is "weighttransfering" with the wheel :lol: Like that is gonna help :banghead:

Jay
Only attempted the first one (dragons trail), 0.012 off Lewis's time. Have no trouble getting a couple of tenths ahead of Lewis but the chicane of death gets me every time. I either catch the wall or lose a couple tenths on that chicane. I have never come out faster than Lewis through there.
Any tips for the chicane of death?

I had the exact same issue, got ahead of Hamilton through the first sector before he caught back up through the second up until the right handed just before the chicane where I was quicker again. The chicane seemed impossible for me until I watched his replay. I noticed that he dropped down to 4th gear as he turned into the chicane and when I tried it I noticed that the car was much more stable and balanced. I also got as close to the outside wall as possible before turning in and aiming for the wall on the left before throwing the car right and aiming for the wall on the right.

Essentially, you need to carry the perfect amount of speed through that section and use every inch of track possible. It’s really all about the turn in angles and the right amount of speed.

You can tell that the challenge times were set a very, very long time ago, when the physics were different. Either that or Hamilton keeps lifting mid-straight at speeds over 160mph so I can catch up...
Times were probably set at the end of 2018 or beginning of 2019, between the 2 seasons. You can clearly see at Interlagos or Nurb GP that we understeer well more than Lewis. Meanwhile, It seems that we accelerate a little more than him, that could be due to less aero, less tyre pressure (those last two things due to new physics) or even a little more power given to us to offset Lewis' advantage...

I really enjoyed these time trials. As many others have said, they were reminiscent in difficulty of achieving gold on the higher license test and missions on the older GT games. I felt accomplishment and extreme frustration throughout the process but overall it was a very enjoyable experience.

It's pretty interesting to see the difficulty rankings between players. It really shows the variance between the strengths and weaknesses between players.

Here are my rankings for Diamond difficulty:

Willow Springs
Brands Hatch
Mount Panorama
Suzuka
Nurburgring GP
Interlagos
Nurburgring Nordschleife
Dragon Trail Seaside
Maggiore
Monza

Today was a day I almost wish I'd done a lap on Big Willow that isn't part of campaign mode! What a nightmare that was having never done a race around there. Managed to fluke a gold time after about an hour of trying, I can see this one being a right 🤬 when it comes to trying to beat Hamilton's time! Hopefully get it done some time this year!

Is it not a little embarrassing for Lewis Hamilton that so many players seem to be able to beat all his times? I think that when PD and he created this challenge, the idea must have been that very few - or possibly almost none - would be able to beat his actual times. Now we have almost 100 players globally in the top charts for each track, with times quicker than Hamilton. And not just by a small margin. For some tracks, the best players are 2 seconds or so quicker than Hamilton... That's a huge difference. Did he really anticipate that when agreeing to do this? And how can this be? - should not Hamilton be among the absolute top, with a gap of perhaps 0.1 or 0.01 second of a gap between him and the very best, up or down? I like Hamilton, and I almost fee a little sorry for him to have been so outclassed?

Is it not a little embarrassing for Lewis Hamilton that so many players seem to be able to beat all his times? I think that when PD and he created this challenge, the idea must have been that very few - or possibly almost none - would be able to beat his actual times. Now we have almost 100 players globally in the top charts for each track, with times quicker than Hamilton. And not just by a small margin. For some tracks, the best players are 2 seconds or so quicker than Hamilton... That's a huge difference. Did he really anticipate that when agreeing to do this? And how can this be? - should not Hamilton be among the absolute top, with a gap of perhaps 0.1 or 0.01 second of a gap between him and the very best, up or down? I like Hamilton, and I almost fee a little sorry for him to have been so outclassed?

No.

The people beating these times are experts on the game and understand how every single kerb works and how every part of the track limits work. They understand the game physics far more than Hamilton does, and are able to spend more time than Hamilton achieving this times. Also, the DLC provides the additional help of the Driving Tip Videos and Lap Replay.

I assure you that Hamilton wouldn't have spent that long on each lap, certainly not over 1 hour on each, meanwhile we can spend far longer, with the additional help, and the knowledge of the game, which is something Hamilton doesn't have.

Also, this whole 'some are even 2 seconds ahead', yeah, on the longer tracks where track limits can be exceeded more than Hamilton's best lap does. As I said, it is game knowledge, and Hamilton doesn't care at all that some people can achieve the laptimes on a video game. In addition to that, no, the idea of the challenge wouldn't be so that it would be impossible. More that it would help players improve and become better, while also providing a very tough but fair challenge.

You are trying to say that Hamilton, who played GTSport for a couple of hours once, should not at all be beaten by GTSport players who have played for hundred or thousands of hours. That just isn't going to work.

Now, if you really want to continue your farcical rant, go on.

Hamilton, who played GTSport for a couple of hours once

78430913_2408362756095452_4479968923466334208_n.jpg

You are trying to say that Hamilton, who played GTSport for a couple of hours once, should not at all be beaten by GTSport players who have played for hundred or thousands of hours.
It's said that Hamilton owns 4 GTS sim rigs and plays it a lot.

However, I do mostly agree with what you said. He has literally absolutely nothing at all to prove to any GTS player. He has come to play on our turf and lost to the best players, which is no surprise, it's not like driving a real car. If the best GTS players reciprocated and had a go in an F1 car, I think they'd be further away from Hamilton's time than he is away from them with his Big Willow time.

Back