Complete Guide/Rewards - Lewis Hamilton Time Attack Challenge

• Thread starter mclarenLB
  • 686 comments
After my kid was heckling me about never driving this since I spent an evening on Dragon Trail I decided to have at it today for a bit. Got gold on Monza and Interlagos in about 30 minutes total. Then got stupid and went for Brands and Willow. Got them after another hour or so. Ugh, man but that hill crest at Willow was either really solid, or I lost 0.6, no in between.

Not sure how to go with the others. I really hate Suzuka so not sure how that will go.

Anybody know some cheats for Nordschleife, NGP, and Suzuka? I can't get gold by driving them straight up.
I tried wall riding at the Nord carousel, and gained about half a second, but could shake all of the penalty time by the end.
I just spent some time trying the 2 nurb tracks the other day. I think I am going to be with you on this. I feel like if I can adjust to the speed on the Nord then I will be able to gold it.

Nurb GP, I lose a second in the first sector, and absolutely no clue how to improve even with watching his laps. Something doesn't click for me there. Haven't even looked at Suzuka, it is hard enough for me and sort of a bogey track of mine so I dont know that i will be able to do any better there either.

I'm not expert and haven't watched his lap. But just Diamond the one time at Nord. Every other time is gold.

The "cheat"(that works for me) is to grab a higher gear than what Lewis seems to be doing. From T1, I'm braking and select 2nd gear. Nail the throttle out of the corner and short shirt to 3rd. I'm ahead of him thru the first sector.

When doing the 5th gear run after that, it seems like he's using hair-trigger lift off throttle, to steer the car for the fast sweepers. That's how I'm able to maintain speed.

Even after the big Karrussell, that run up the hill to the sharp left and then braking, I ever so slightly lift and I still carry lots of speed.

The last part of the track before the final straight, I barely steer the thing and just drive as straight as possible over the kerbs. Entering the double lefts before said back straight, I take my time and concentrate on exit speeds. For the right handers, I maintain patience on the throttle, as Lewis' top speed slows, helping me shave a tenth or so.

NGP and Suzuka, I just had to keep practicing with each attempt. Following his ghost and braking earlier once I anticipate his brake lights. The car has too much understeer to do exactly what he's doing.

Overall, what I'm saying is, I figure out the characteristics of the car, how it behaves and say, "Well, okay, you behave like this when I do that" and adjust my driving to how the car moves at each corner. Seriously.

Eight golds down and 2 to go. I have also been struggling with NGP, where I'm currently stuck at .007 seconds from gold.

During my early attempts, I was losing a ton of time in the first sector. I have found that a gentler progression of throttle exiting turn 2, and earlier, softer trail braking, into turn 3 made a big difference. Not completely sorted yet, but I have gone from being close to a second off, to just a tenth or 2 off Hamilton for sector 1.

What has really helped me improve my overall time on this track was revisiting the Circuit Experience challenge and practicing each sector, especially since that challenge uses the same car.

Have gone back for a play again tonight. Got golds knocked out for bathurst and Suzuka. Just down the the 2 German torture chambers now.

Bathurst was the usual issue of stringing all the corners together up and down the mountain. I screwed up the elbow and still was somehow ahead enough to hold on for gold.

Suzuka was one I was dreading, but honestly it wasn't that bad for some reason. A bit like bathurst, only instead of the mountain it is turns 1 and 2, the degners, spoon and the chicane. At least 8 laps I was well ahead by spoon and either screwed that completely or ballsed up the chicane at the end. Finally nailed it. Probably needed less beer too.

Now to figure out Nurburgring hell.

Okay, so I finally got gold on the Nord. Biggest thing is trying to adjust to the sheet speed of this thing in some of the straighter bits and adjusting braking for the corners. Tips I found for DS4 users, and I suppose anyone.

-learn and nail that first section all the way through to Aremberg. I was down 0.4 on my gold lap, but on other laps where I crashed later I was actually up on Lewis through there by nailing it. Braking early for a couple of the turns and not braking for the right left right helped. Taking flugplatz almost flat is possible amd worth half a second. Also that last right left combo before the run to flugplatz gets you time if you brake slightly early for the first turn and can gas it straight from mid first corner all the way out.

-there are 2 right handers leading up to the long run through the forest to bravery corner. Braking early and getting an early flat out exit from these, both in 3rd gear was worth massive chunks of time. I pulled back a full second of time there.

- @sturk0167 I found that for the karussel I braked just before the shadow that fully crosses the track. Turn in from slightly wide and gently pump the throttle in 2nd while riding the inside. Gassing it early to almost jump the exit and straight to 3rd.

After that it was just holding on and getting a stable run without crashing. I can easily see where I could get Diamond on this one by smoothing out a few corner combos and finding where I can trust the car more, but not going to be worth it for me at the moment.

Good luck anyone still hammering away at this.
👍:gtpflag:

I have done it. At least for my level. All gold times and the 100 million limit.

And on that note 🤬🤬🤬:banghead::banghead::banghead:🤬🤬🤬 to the Nurb GP circuit. Awful monstrosity. Took me longer to get that 1 times than any other 3 tracks combined.

Adios on this front.:gtpflag:

Edit: Thanks to @05XR8 for the using a higher gear trick to get through that ugly infield are the start. Still found that thing completely random hit or miss. Seemed to use the same braking points and turn in and apexes, then be different by up to 0.5.

Also found for those ugly left right chicane sectors it made a massive difference to brake early, coast with speed and get a massive launch at exit.

Last edited:
I just spent some time trying the 2 nurb tracks the other day. I think I am going to be with you on this. I feel like if I can adjust to the speed on the Nord then I will be able to gold it.

Nurb GP, I lose a second in the first sector, and absolutely no clue how to improve even with watching his laps. Something doesn't click for me there. Haven't even looked at Suzuka, it is hard enough for me and sort of a bogey track of mine so I dont know that i will be able to do any better there either.

I can try to help... Have gold on Nurburgring GP and Diamond on Nordschleife.

There's some pretty good vids online, have you downloaded them and watched the key corners frame by frame? (for the GP) Some tricky throttle use in the first sector to get the Merc to turn in... Happy to lobby some time to trade techniques

Finally got my first mega lap at Dragon Trail. .063, a full .031 faster than Hamilton's time. It's so annoying that I could still get about an extra 4 tenths elsewhere on the lap if I just didn't make a mess of things. This time I dipped some wheels on the grass and went into the esses sideways and still beat it.

Still, I'm sure it gets easier from here, right?

I can try to help... Have gold on Nurburgring GP and Diamond on Nordschleife.

There's some pretty good vids online, have you downloaded them and watched the key corners frame by frame? (for the GP) Some tricky throttle use in the first sector to get the Merc to turn in... Happy to lobby some time to trade techniques
Thanks, I did get all my gold though. Just not even going to push for diamond at this point even though I was close enough at a couple of tracks to think about it. I just hate the infield loop of the Nurb GP circuit. I find that as bad as the Fuji chicken or RACC at Catalunya

I got my 5th Diamond the other day, at Brands, that was a tough one. Working on NGP now, I’m within a tenth of him, but I can’t put it together yet. I always end up being .4’ish behind him coming into the chicane, where I can gain .4 on him, but he always gets it back in the final corner. I need to get closer before hitting that last chicane. :)

Last edited:
I think it‘s great to see that this DLC still provides a challenge so long after its initial release.

The only thing that does still annoy me is the handling model of the AMG GT3. I don‘t think I could replicate the Diamond times I set anytime soon due to just how quirky the car feels and how long it took me to fully get used to it the first time. Then again, the “normal” AMG probably would‘ve had drivers cracking Lewis‘ times en masse… :lol:

I think it‘s great to see that this DLC still provides a challenge so long after its initial release.

The only thing that does still annoy me is the handling model of the AMG GT3. I don‘t think I could replicate the Diamond times I set anytime soon due to just how quirky the car feels and how long it took me to fully get used to it the first time. Then again, the “normal” AMG probably would‘ve had drivers cracking Lewis‘ times en masse… :lol:

I notice there's no recent vids of people claiming "all diamonds in 6 hours" with the present car... Is it even possible now?

I notice there's no recent vids of people claiming "all diamonds in 6 hours" with the present car... Is it even possible now?
It's slightly easier now than it was initially thanks to a physics change a while back, I think most people that can do that have already done it or aren't bothered to do it this late in the cycle

Yeah, it's possible. Super GT was grinding it for credits on his stream the other day and ticking them off still relatively quick.

Yeah, it's possible. Super GT was grinding it for credits on his stream the other day and ticking them off still relatively quick.

Yes but I saw him struggle too.. Was he getting Gold or Diamond? Even I can grind ten Golds in an hour or two

Last edited:
That'll do it then. 8 down, 2 to go.

Attachments

• 20210116_000037.jpg
    20210116_000037.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
The last sector at Lake Maggie is just awful. Blind apexless corners where the track is about five times wider than it should be on exit. I can be 3 tenths up coming out of BBB and manage to lose it all.

So if I understand you correctly, try using the tyre mark on the left ripple strip as the breaking point (so you don't overcook it), feed on to full accelerator, then back off smoothly and use balance throttle through the 2nd right before going full throttle to the final turn.. This part is treacherous but not so hard if you don't mess up the first corner entry

Last edited:
So if I understand you correctly, try using the tyre mark on the left ripple strip as the breaking point (so you don't overcook it), feed on to full accelerator, then back off smoothly and use balance throttle through the 2nd right before going full throttle to the final turn.. This part is treacherous but not so hard if you don't mess up the first corner entry
I've not done lots of laps but pretty much every time I go into the right/left section before the last corner my brain and feet just stop working and I don't steer, brake or accelerate at all. I do need a new braking reference for there though, all the guides I've checked say the kerb on the left but I can't see that when I'm driving, the glare from the sun washes it out and there's nothing there. I'm going to spend some time with it tomorrow and should get it done then.

I've not done lots of laps but pretty much every time I go into the right/left section before the last corner my brain and feet just stop working and I don't steer, brake or accelerate at all. I do need a new braking reference for there though, all the guides I've checked say the kerb on the left but I can't see that when I'm driving, the glare from the sun washes it out and there's nothing there. I'm going to spend some time with it tomorrow and should get it done then.

Maybe you need to adjust your screen brightness/exposure

Back