Compromise for GT6 graphic

Serbia
Belgrade
FrancSRB
Many people are not satisfied with shadows quality in GT5, rain effect,screen tearing and FPS problem... So my solution is to reduce number of car on track from 16 to 15 or 14. That could give PD extra power to fix that graphic issues and it wouldn't affect gameplay a lot. Off course this is if GT6 come on PS3. What you think about this idea?? 💡

That's not fixing the problem, that's just avoiding it. So more or less a "compromise," but you don't want compromises in future GT titles, do you? :sly:

I'd rather see fields expand than lose cars on track to fix a shadow issue. If the shadows have to cause a "compromise" to be fixed then don't fix it.

Or the issues are from the fact that the PS3 can't process all that at once, needing a next gen system which I don't want until GT7. I'd rather have GT6 on PS3.

I call Bull , GT5 i am sorry to say does not push the PS3 graphically.. i mean from a scale of one to ten GT5 is a 8.5 , games like kill zone 3 and uncharted 2 are 9's and heck uncharted 3 would be the ten because that's what we know the PS can pump out .
now i know there's the "physics engine" that takes up what 5% of the CPU at most ? * little big planet can have around 900 moving objects at 80% using full blown physics * with zero lag.. and the premiums are cut back from photo mode... the thing is PD did not properly optimize the game engine to its fullest, why you may say? Because iv driven with 16 premiums on the ring with little frame rate differences the problem with the shadows as kaz stated is the angle ,having dynamic shadows is a huge and i mean huge stress on the system , look at infamous 2 and uncharted 3 they both have worst looking shadows than the previous games.. what GT5 needs is a better optimized engine witch is possible.. NOW if Gt5 had dynamic environments .. that's a whole other story...

I think that gt6 should have more realistic damage. Because lets say you SMASH right into a wall. There is minimal damage or either no damage at all.

Many people are not satisfied with shadows quality in GT5, rain effect,screen tearing and FPS problem... So my solution is to reduce number of car on track from 16 to 15 or 14.

That makes no sense as some of those graphical issues are present even when there's only one car at the track.

Edit: Also, the blocky rain/smoke effects is caused by the lack of proper alpa channels which isn't a fault with GT5, it's the PS3's GPU which doesn't have the correct methods of displaying good enough alpa channels. That can only be fixed with new hardware.

Last edited:
easy to fix ditch the 1080p and 3d its useless and unnecessary, make it 720p and 30-40fps it all could have been much more beautiful and detailed and a much smoother game.

They have to decrease amount of detail in mirrors. We don't need to see almost every tree etc. in theese. It was just fine in Prologue or... GT4.

ucwepn
easy to fix ditch the 1080p and 3d its useless and unnecessary, make it 720p and 30-40fps it all could have been much more beautiful and detailed and a much smoother game.

I think Kaz wanted the highest resolution as possible who knows with more time the graphics could have been tweaked for better performance

Lol GT6 will NOT be released on PS3. It is FAR too late.
No one knows when ps4 is coming and ps3 will have a much longer life than the ps2.Ps3 came 7 years after ps2 we are only 5 years in on the ps3.
So its far from being too late.2 years from now then that would be the case.

I think Kaz wanted the highest resolution as possible who knows with more time the graphics could have been tweaked for better performance

Exactly.This is PD first full game on ps3.They dont have to compromise they would more than likely optimize the current engine because they know alot more about the system than they did while making it.Im not saying it would be a giant step but something like gt3 to gt4 jump in graphics.

Fix the freaking Crowds! they all look like thier not having fun. dont wanna compare but in Forza you can travle 160mph and still see the crowd reacting. on gt5 the crowds look 2d and seem to be stationary. but i guess that would make things worse lol...

PS3 is set on a 10yr life span. But I think GT6 will be a introductory title for PS4. I think it will be a similar situation like GT3 and PS2.

Edit: Also, the blocky rain/smoke effects is caused by the lack of proper alpa channels which isn't a fault with GT5, it's the PS3's GPU which doesn't have the correct methods of displaying good enough alpa channels. That can only be fixed with new hardware.

How do you explain all the other titles around on the PS3 that manage to produce rain, smoke and other particle effects without the same problems that GT5 suffers from?

Scaff

Well, GT5 Prologue didn't have any of GT5's issues - it runs much better than GT5, doesn't have screen-tearing, jaggy smoke effects etc. and all that while having better graphics (no standard cars and tracks). That means that GT6 doesn't have to sacrifice anything, it just a matter of proper programming, which apparently was screwed during GT5 development.

I call Bull , GT5 i am sorry to say does not push the PS3 graphically..

It does push PS3 to it limits in some aspects - it runs at ~60FPS, which already eats half of the power resources that other PS3 games you've mentioned use for better graphics. Secondly, the best current games like Uncharted, Killzone, Crysis, Battlefield pull out something between 1-1.5MLN polygons, while GT5 uses 0.5MLN polys PER CAR. Now multiply that number by 16 and add the whole track to it - NO game comes close to GT5 as far as poly count goes.

Last edited:
Zywy
Well, GT5 Prologue didn't have any of GT5's issues - it runs much better than GT5, doesn't have screen-tearing, jaggy smoke effects etc. and all that while having better graphics (no standard cars and tracks). That means that GT6 doesn't have to sacrifice anything, it just a matter of proper programming, which apparently was screwed during GT5 development.

It does push PS3 to it limits in some aspects - it runs at ~60FPS, which already eats half of the power resources that other PS3 games you've mentioned use for better graphics. Secondly, the best current games like Uncharted, Killzone, Crysis, Battlefield pull out something between 1-1.5MLN polygons, while GT5 uses 0.5MLN polys PER CAR. Now multiply that number by 16 and add the whole track to it - NO game comes close to GT5 as far as poly count goes.

Im going to have to make a mental,note to compare prologue, gt5 and forza 4 would be interesting

Less cars on track? Please no. Just release GT6 on the PS4 with over 30 cars on track and nice shadows:D I'd love to do endurance races with different classes on the track.

It runs well below 60 fps at times, with rain and night potentially dropping it to sub 30fps.

Source - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gran-turismo-5-tech-analysis?page=3

Also GT5 is not always going to be showing all 16 cars on track at the same time, nor does it need to have the entire track rendered at the same time.

I would also find it very surprising if the cars were always fully rendered as well, yes the ones right next to you should, but if your at the start of the Fuji straight and a car is at the end (so in the far distance) that should not need to be fully rendered (it would serve no purpose at all).

Scaff

The Smoke in GT5 is Different than the One in Prolouge ,Of course I don't Understand any of the Alpha Particles/RAM Issues .

However If a PS4 is getting released late 2013 ,early 2014 (no Source just an IF).Than PD can keep updating GT5 and let GT6 get released on the PS4 hopefully with all these Issues Fixed 👍

How do you explain all the other titles around on the PS3 that manage to produce rain, smoke and other particle effects without the same problems that GT5 suffers from?

Scaff
Because those games are either running alpha at a higher resolution, or are running it at a lower resolution, but not as copiously. For example, Driver: San Francisco suffers from the same blocky smoke issue as GT5, but it isn't as noticable because the smoke effects are not as volumetric as GT5. It also does not help that GT5 alpha is being run at 1/16th of the screen resolution, which exacerbates the problem.

Raggadish is right, it's the fault of the PS3, not GT5. It is well known that the PS3 is not well suited to handling alpha effects, and this can only be fixed with new hardware. I think we can safely say that Sony will be aware of this, and PS4 should have adequate bandwidth for alpha. It is therefore quite intriguing why Polyphony opted to implement such copious amounts of alpha, when the PS3 is simply not well suited to dealing with it all.

This analysis is much more in-depth than the Digital Foundry one, and explains the issues much better. Incidentally, the author of this article now works for Eurogamer and Digital Foundry.

I think they can sort the problem for gt6 just by refining the engine, look at the jum from fm2 to 3 to 4, t10 managed it.

I also think that if something had to give it'd be to lower the resoloution slightly, it'd still be pushing loads more pixels than fm

There will always be compromises on console games. GT5 could have 64 cars on track, but it doesn't since that means lowering graphic, sound, physics quality and input response a lot.

For example, I'd prefer to lower in-game resolution to gain in all other fields but keeping the same amount of cars on track, but that's unpopular.

Many people are not satisfied with shadows quality in GT5, rain effect,screen tearing and FPS problem... So my solution is to reduce number of car on track from 16 to 15 or 14. That could give PD extra power to fix that graphic issues and it wouldn't affect gameplay a lot. Off course this is if GT6 come on PS3. What you think about this idea?? 💡

Most GT LIFE events are limited to 12 cars anyway, 16 only in Arcade, GTLIFE Course Maker Race and online. Someone had shown a pic of London with no crowds\trackside objects used to make FPS go up, i can support this compromise, bc it does NOT affect gameplay.

I dont even want to think of the compromises PD made in the Physics vs Graphics department... if GT looks and feels so good, imagine what it would feel like if it didnt look so good, but then, would it be so good? ITs all about balance, rather than compromise.

Back