Compromise for GT6 graphic

GT6 will most likely be a launch title for PS4. Since that will probably (if they are smart) be available late 2013. I just hope the rumored amd 6670 for the next xbox isnt evidence of what sony may do, because that card is already outdated, even if it's 6x more powerful then that of the 360s.

For example, I'd prefer to lower in-game resolution to gain in all other fields but keeping the same amount of cars on track, but that's unpopular.

Same here, I'd prefer GT6 (if it's still for the PS3) to be just in 720p, with some "free" AA (MLAA or FXAA), and use all that saved processing power to solve screen-tearing, jagged shadows and smoke, more stable framerate, less agressive LoD, and maybe even boost up the environment details a little bit (trees, spectators etc.).

Last edited:
In my opinion, a GT6-release on the PS3 only makes sense, if the graphics-problems can actually be solved with such a thing. I tend to think they can't so I would be happy, if they just improve GT5 as much as possible and keep supporting it with updates and adding DLC. But hey, none of us can judge, if it's actually possible.

I just think it would be a waste of time to release GT6 with a "dumbed down" graphics version on PS3. I'd rather wait for PS4 to be capable to solve those problems.

I call Bull , GT5 i am sorry to say does not push the PS3 graphically.. i mean from a scale of one to ten GT5 is a 8.5 , games like kill zone 3 and uncharted 2 are 9's and heck uncharted 3 would be the ten because that's what we know the PS can pump out .
now i know there's the "physics engine" that takes up what 5% of the CPU at most ? * little big planet can have around 900 moving objects at 80% using full blown physics * with zero lag.. and the premiums are cut back from photo mode... the thing is PD did not properly optimize the game engine to its fullest, why you may say? Because iv driven with 16 premiums on the ring with little frame rate differences the problem with the shadows as kaz stated is the angle ,having dynamic shadows is a huge and i mean huge stress on the system , look at infamous 2 and uncharted 3 they both have worst looking shadows than the previous games.. what GT5 needs is a better optimized engine witch is possible.. NOW if Gt5 had dynamic environments .. that's a whole other story...

None of them are pushing 1280 x 1080 @60fps! (50% more pixels in half the time!!!)

Scaff: You are showing a V1.2 vid at absolute maximum stress, (cars, weather, night)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM4cJmiCKtU&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
@phil_75 So the latest version of GT5 runs a better framerate. Wow! thanks for the link 👍

Edit: If you notice, the updated version removed the crowd from the track to increase the framerate. So I guess they're making sacrifices.

Well that was the point wasn't it? To show that GT5 can't maintain 60fps except in the best conditions.

Show me a console game that runs at maximum famerate 100% of the time?

Did you watch the vid in the link?

Show me a console game that runs at maximum famerate 100% of the time?

Did you watch the vid in the link?

Forza 4, Dead Space 2, Vanquish, Uncharted 2 & 3 (solid 30 in gameplay, think there's some fluctuation in cutscenes) Need For Speed Hot Pursuit .... That's off the top of my head, I'm sure there's a lot more too. Check the digital foundry section on Eurogamer's website for more examples.

Last edited:
Nice, they improved framerate on one of my favorite tracks. Never even noticed the people dissappeared. Wonder what other tracks that happened to. Eiger is one I'm curious about.

Certaintly doesn't bother me that they removed people from the sides of the track to improve performance. Now get rid of the stands so they aren't blocking the scenery. Maybe even some of the barracades...

Big deal I could bet over 200$ that gt6 wont be a ps3 title
Heck, smart phone are becoming more powerful than a ps3.
Do you seriously think PD is gonna launch gt6 on a dead console in 4 years. I mean, 4 years is if we are lucky.
Unless you are aware of the timeframe of gt2/3/4/5, expect a new full game of gran turismo in 2017.
So it wont even be a launch title for the ps4.

I don't see a huge issue with graphics in gt5. I actually have not noticed really any and i have had the game for over a year. Yes there are some rendering and loading issues but thats in every game. Also Gt6 would be better if it came out on ps4 anyway. It would be the perfect game to start with for a new console.

GT6 on ps3 =
117.jpg

I think (more like hope) that whenever GT6 Comes out it should be a "new" game not bits of old ones bolted together and upscaled a bit. Also some things about GT5 are starting to feel a bit dated. Hopefully all the money from these DLC's should pay for some clever programming allowing for 30 odd cars of different classes to battle it out gt style.

Well, GT5 Prologue didn't have any of GT5's issues - it runs much better than GT5, doesn't have screen-tearing, jaggy smoke effects etc. and all that while having better graphics (no standard cars and tracks). That means that GT6 doesn't have to sacrifice anything, it just a matter of proper programming, which apparently was screwed during GT5 development.

It does push PS3 to it limits in some aspects - it runs at ~60FPS, which already eats half of the power resources that other PS3 games you've mentioned use for better graphics. Secondly, the best current games like Uncharted, Killzone, Crysis, Battlefield pull out something between 1-1.5MLN polygons, while GT5 uses 0.5MLN polys PER CAR. Now multiply that number by 16 and add the whole track to it - NO game comes close to GT5 as far as poly count goes.

HA the premiums are scaled down during a race :)
jak from jak 3 had 357k polygon's hitting the 700 thousand mark on a ps3 sure uncharted 3 has around 2.1 mill polygons at all times.. BARE BONES its around 3 million with just drake and the environment! Now add enemy's, all the guns and main characters that are just as detailed as drake and light reactive textures ... nuf to say uncharted has = to more polys. than gt5 and does not screen tear..
killzone 3 has the most sophisticated graphics engine on a console and don't mention battle field 3 and crysis, they have slightly above average poly count , there bland lighting engine is what makes everything look so real.. gt5 could have more detailed tracks and not screen tear , pd pulled quickly , i can tell you the 5 years was more like 3 because of gt PSP

The graphics in GT5 is amazing! A lot of details and still at 60 FPS. Look at the competitors... You have to remember that this is a racing game and that there is many movings objects, effects, many details (also in-car cam) and so on. Yes, you can still say that games like Killzone looks amazing too, but think about the difference between those games. I think that the graphics in GT5 is an bigger achievement.

I'm sure GT6 comes to PS4, it's guaranteed. I'll bet an arm and a foot on it. I don't even think GT5 will be released when PS4 comes out, it'll take some time. But we'll se the traditional GT-preview game we always get, before the final game. I can't wait to try the early GT6!

HA the premiums are scaled down during a race :)
jak from jak 3 had 357k polygon's hitting the 700 thousand mark on a ps3 sure uncharted 3 has around 2.1 mill polygons at all times.. BARE BONES its around 3 million with just drake and the environment! Now add enemy's, all the guns and main characters that are just as detailed as drake and light reactive textures ... nuf to say uncharted has = to more polys. than gt5 and does not screen tear..
killzone 3 has the most sophisticated graphics engine on a console and don't mention battle field 3 and crysis, they have slightly above average poly count , there bland lighting engine is what makes everything look so real.. gt5 could have more detailed tracks and not screen tear , pd pulled quickly , i can tell you the 5 years was more like 3 because of gt PSP

gtPSP was almost completely made up of pre-existing content from earlier gt's?
It couldn't have been such a huge burden on pd that it took 2 whole years out of gt5's lifecycle.
It's more likely that as kaz admitted in interviews,that pd ran into difficulties-technical - and a lot of the content they worked on had to be scrapped ie the free roam mode kaz talked about, so they ended up with a less polished and innovative game than they intended.
That's my theory anyways.

And you are showing a vid comparing an empty track (2.2) to a vid with crowd (1.2)

Yes, thats part of the update to make it run closer to 60fps...and...?

All the tech sites agree that what PD has done is amazing, if some of you think you can do anywhere near as good on a system with about ~210 MB of RAM you are seriously gone in the head!

Uncharted, killzone etc are absolutely amazing games and they have 50% less screen to fill in double the time, how do you think GT5 would look if it had twice as long to refresh and was rendered at only 1280 x 720p ???

I would rather have smooth, fast control of 60fps than better graphics of 30fps

Last edited:
gtPSP was almost completely made up of pre-existing content from earlier gt's?
It couldn't have been such a huge burden on pd that it took 2 whole years out of gt5's lifecycle.
It's more likely that as kaz admitted in interviews,that pd ran into difficulties-technical - and a lot of the content they worked on had to be scrapped ie the free roam mode kaz talked about, so they ended up with a less polished and innovative game than they intended.
That's my theory anyways.

*COUGH COUGH* standard cars *COUGH* direct gt PSP ports * COUGH COUGH *

Yes ..but PD will loose a lot of users .....

Will they? GT6 would be THE game that would move PS4 sales, A LOT. It's Sony's flagship title, a systemseller, in long-term it wouldn't matter if they're gonna sold let's say 10MLN copies in just a year or three-four. But from Sony's perspective (not PD's) it would be the best they could do for PS4, which should be finally powerful enought to materialize Kaz's dream vision of GT ;p

Lol GT6 will NOT be released on PS3. It is FAR too late.

Agreed. Unless you think PD can get GT6 done in the next 18 months... which I do not think is likely.

Don't believe the Sony comments about we don't need PS4 and PS3 still has lots of room left. Sure, they will continue to support PS3 for years but they also will come out with PS4 at roughly the same time as Microsoft's next console. If they don't, they will find themselves playing catch up again and losing more market share like they did in the last console transition. PS2 to PS3 cost Sony a ton of market share and while there are many reasons for it-- one clear one is starting an entire year behind the 360.

So why would Sony say we aren't doing PS4 yet etc? What would you say if you were trying to sell PS3s to as many people as possible? You would wait until the last minute to announce the PS4. Once Microsoft officially announce the next console, it won't be too long until we hear more from Sony. All signals point to the next Xbox being launched in late 2013.

GT6 on PS4 graphically? Wow. The PS3 showroom exterior premium models are good enough to run in game. Add in much better interiors, better lighting, many more particle effects and the game should be stunning. I just hope it doesn't take PD forever to make it. It would be good for Sony to have GT6 come out much earlier in the cycle than GT5 came out on PS3.

Yes, thats part of the update to make it run closer to 60fps...and...?

All the tech sites agree that what PD has done is amazing, if some of you think you can do anywhere near as good on a system with about ~210 MB of RAM you are seriously gone in the head!

PS3 has 512mb ram, split into two 256mb pools, one vram the other system ram.

Will they? GT6 would be THE game that would move PS4 sales, A LOT. It's Sony's flagship title, a systemseller, in long-term it wouldn't matter if they're gonna sold let's say 10MLN copies in just a year or three-four. But from Sony's perspective (not PD's) it would be the best they could do for PS4, which should be finally powerful enought to materialize Kaz's dream vision of GT ;p

I bought a PS3 to play GT ... a WELL DONE Gran Turismo not a beta version on Blueray!
GT5 at the end is a software and as many other programs updated via-internet they became slow and with a lot of bugs and various problems ..

IR

People need to read up on level of detail (LOD) and it's usage in games. Losing two cars from races wouldn't improve much at all in terms of graphics.

People need to read up on level of detail (LOD) and it's usage in games. Losing two cars from races wouldn't improve much at all in terms of graphics.
speaking of which iv'e never noticed a drastic change of LOD in GT5 even when approaching a car from far away, it seems like it's still just same model(including when approaching multiple cars..)

Many people are not satisfied with shadows quality in GT5, rain effect,screen tearing and FPS problem... So my solution is to reduce number of car on track from 16 to 15 or 14. That could give PD extra power to fix that graphic issues and it wouldn't affect gameplay a lot. Off course this is if GT6 come on PS3. What you think about this idea?? 💡

I feel that GT6 should be release on PS4. And PS4 should be a modular gaming console where users can upgrade its cooling, psu and graphic card. PS3 doesn't have enough computing power to be use as a driving simulator.

With better hardware, we wont have to reduce the number of cars from 16 to 14.

Back