Convertible top control

I suggest you place this in the brand new "Features" section Jordan just created. 👍

So we can't complain that they don't fill with snow at Chamonix.
:D

One reason is that track racing or hot lapping on some tracks in real life don't allow open top driving. But then again, those locations will allow it if you have a roll cage installed.

AND then again, the Ferrari California doesn't have a roll cage, but there it is. Of all cars to be open-top, it's a semi-new Ferrari. Are there any newer convertibles (not special cases like the Art Morrison Corvette) that have the top down when they're on track or in Photo Travel?

I wonder if the time spent on and amount of detail put into every fully-modelled car/convertible really is the reason why we don't have the option...

The problem is non-premium models, that's why I don't vote for this.
Too difficult / long to include for me, you would have to modelize all non-premium top cars before + change their aerodynamics models in-race aswell.

Too difficult to program / get it done imho.

Its simple, for premium cars, tops should be able to go down, The AC cobra has the top down, or it did in GT5 at least, so why can't any other premium models have this option as well? I think its annoying they show the car in the dealership with the top down, but then you can't drive it that way.

If standards are an issue, then forget them, leave the roof up. You can't do anything to those cars but add wheels anyway so not a big deal.

This was a feature on GT4 when starting a race, whether the roof was up or down. I don't know why they stopped doing this because all the standard convertible cars had interiors on GT4 and now the roof only stays up on them and they have no interior.

This is one thing I don't understand, all of the convertibles (including the 50 miatas) should have interiors, but they don't :confused:

Plus, they need to bring that option from GT4 back, and make it possible in GT Mode (as I think it was only available in arcade mode for GT4)

I apologise, I'm going to go a bit overboard with the photos on this, but if Polyphony Digital reads it who knows, a change could be made!

1) Roof off in photo travel...
Ronda.jpg

2) Roof on when racing...
Brands Hatch Indy Circuit.jpg

3) Roof off in photo travel...
Ronda_1.jpg

4) Roof on when racing...
Brands Hatch Indy Circuit_1.jpg

5) Roof off in photo travel...
Ronda_2.jpg

6) Understandably, roof on when racing in the wet...
Brands Hatch Indy Circuit_2.jpg

7) But it should be off on a sunny day...
Brands Hatch Indy Circuit_3.jpg

8) This car is the 1969 Corvette Stingray Convertible, yet the roof is never off! Not even in photo travel...
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_11.jpg

9) I can understand this type of car racing in the wet with no roof though...
Brands Hatch Indy Circuit_5.jpg

T
I apologise, I'm going to go a bit overboard with the photos on this, but if Polyphony Digital reads it who knows, a change could be made!

1) Roof off in photo travel...View attachment 105830

2) Roof on when racing...View attachment 105831

3) Roof off in photo travel...View attachment 105832

4) Roof on when racing...View attachment 105833

5) Roof off in photo travel...View attachment 105834

6) Understandably, roof on when racing in the wet...View attachment 105835

7) But it should be off on a sunny day...View attachment 105836

8) This car is the 1969 Corvette Stingray Convertible, yet the roof is never off! Not even in photo travel...View attachment 105837

9) I can understand this type of car racing in the wet with no roof though...View attachment 105838
On GT5 the Ferrari California had its roof down when racing in the dry.

Certainly, for the cars with "detailed" interiors, I want to drive them top down so I can see the interiors clearly in the sunlight, and for the open air feeling. And most convertibles look far better with the top down. However, I don't want an aerodynamic penalty for this!

I looked at the BMW 507 '57 in the "Gallery". Looks gorgeous in the studio lighting. The top is down, the light is bathing the interior. Take it to the track, though, and the pit crew have raised the roof for me. I want to fire them. It looks like crap with that black roof against the sleek lines of the 507's body.

FYI, some premium convertables have the option to toggle the convertible only if you go to GT auto body mods and change the last one which is the side mirror; dont know why its like that, but it is.

Anyways, driving the the top up is actually faster in real life...

Last edited:
Should be able to put the roof up when visually modifying them and in the gallery, particularly for the cars with metal folding roofs.

Last edited:
FYI, some premium convertables have the option to toggle the convertible only if you go to GT auto body mods and change the last one which is the side mirror; dont know why its like that, but it is.
Wait.. what? :confused: Example please..

You were able to do this in Midnight Club: Los Angeles the pause menu. Maybe there can be a dedicated button you can assign to have the top down when you press it. (or have it done in the pause menu)

200th like by the way :)

Last edited:
[about control over convertible roof] You were able to do this in Midnight Club: Los Angeles as well in the pause menu. Maybe there can be a dedicated button you can assign to have the top down when you press it.
Midnight Club L.A. COULD have a dedicated button, if you mapped it. And if they think there would be a problem with not having enough buttons, they could take inspiration from Midnight Club 3/L.A. on PSP, and GTA V: one button that, when held, enables different controls.

Also, concerning my previous comment about cars on GT4 having interiors: They have interiors on PSP too, but only on the dealership/garage. On races the top is up and the interior pitch black.

GT PSP S2000.jpg

ALSO also, look at this image of the '99 Skyline GT-R V-Spec N1 on PSP:

GT PSP Skyline R34.jpg

Do I see a bit of dashboard in there?

Why this one has it on PSP (while no others have)? Why don't standard cars have that? It would be better than nothing... and it IS there, if you see from the outside, you can see a LITTLE bit of dashboard inside the cars.

GT PSP Ford GT.jpg

And the mirror is not blacked out either.

Back