Copa America Centenario 2016

• Thread starter lxmmy
  • 102 comments
United Kingdom
UK
qkEsNGAh_400x400.jpg

Current Holders : Chile

gettyimages-479487328.jpg

Let's see if the likes of Sanchez, Vidal, Vargas, Bravo and Medel can retain the title.........

Group A

23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
USA (H)
23px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png
Colombia
23px-Flag_of_Costa_Rica.svg.png
Costa Rica
23px-Flag_of_Paraguay.svg.png
Paraguay

Group B
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
Brazil
23px-Flag_of_Ecuador.svg.png
Ecuador
23px-Flag_of_Haiti.svg.png
Haiti
23px-Flag_of_Peru.svg.png
Peru

Group C
23px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png
Mexico
23px-Flag_of_Uruguay.svg.png
Uruguay
23px-Flag_of_Jamaica.svg.png
Jamaica
23px-Flag_of_Venezuela.svg.png
Venezuela

Group D
23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png
Argentina
23px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png
Chile
23px-Flag_of_Panama.svg.png
Panama
22px-Flag_of_Bolivia.svg.png
Bolivia

Group A is the closest and is the one that should be looked foward to.

My predictions for the teams that will advance to the next round are:

A: USA and Colombia
B: Brasil and Peru
C: Mexico and Uruguay
D: Argentina and Chile

USA vs. Colombia right now, and it doesn't look good for the americans

James Rodríguez just scored for Colombia, 2-0

Paraguay and Colombia.
Brasil and Perú.
Mexico and Uruguay.
Argentina and Chile.

Those I see in the next round. Afterwards, I just hope Messi gets better, and with good River Plate defenders on the team (Maidana, Mercado, formerly Funes Mori) we should be solid. I can only see Chile and Colombia posing a problem for us.

Didn't watch the game but I heard Colombia gave the USA the run around.

Small thing but FIFY.

Paraguay and Colombia.
Brasil and Perú.
Mexico and Uruguay.
Argentina and Chile.

Those I see in the next round. Afterwards, I just hope Messi gets better, and with good River Plate defenders on the team (Maidana, Mercado, formerly Funes Mori) we should be solid. I can only see Chile and Colombia posing a problem for us.

Argentina should be able to take this one, but Brazil just got a nice confidence boost with their 7-1 win yesterday. Chile will always be a problem and of course Colombia is doing great, but the way Argentina handled themselves without Messi gave me confidence in them. I just hate Martino's style. He's no where near the coach Argentina needs. I can't wait for Simeone to finally decide to coach Argentina.

Small thing but FIFY.

Argentina should be able to take this one, but Brazil just got a nice confidence boost with their 7-1 win yesterday. Chile will always be a problem and of course Colombia is doing great, but the way Argentina handled themselves without Messi gave me confidence in them. I just hate Martino's style. He's no where near the coach Argentina needs. I can't wait for Simeone to finally decide to coach Argentina.
Argentina will be an unstoppable machine once Simeone coaches the argies.

In other topics, Mexico will play today against Jamaica in what should be a closer match than Uruguay, as always, I'll root for my country

Argentina will be an unstoppable machine once Simeone coaches the argies.

In other topics, Mexico will play today against Jamaica in what should be a closer match than Uruguay, as always, I'll root for my country

2-0 for our guys. Not a brilliant game IMO. Jamaica cooperated with a stricker that could not get the job done... and we had some luck, too.

We could have lost by 3 or 4 if you ask me.

Despite the weak rival (And I do mean a WEAK rival), I thought Mexico played an excellent game. They definitely seem to understand each other and kept calm throughout the entire second half. I enjoy watching that kind of football.

The Copa America has always been known to feature only elite teams in South America. Why were Haiti, Jamaica and Panama invited to this one?? No offense but to say Haiti and Jamaica have poor quality football is a massive understatement

I don't really like Simeone. His style is very much against the kind of players Argentina has, and I can see Argentina getting beaten in a World Cup final just like Atlético Madrid in two consecutive UCL finals against Real Madrid. :lol:

Uruguay out. To be honest, I vouched for Uruguay thinking Luis Suárez was able to play. Only now I found out he was injured.

Helped by a rather horrendous "Hand of God PtII"....
Really .___. . On the replay it showed it wasn't even a handball alá Maradona...

Diego-Maradona-009.jpg

Or even a more obvious one...

130107094203-luis-suarez-story-getty-single-image-cut.jpg

Yes, it was close to the hand, but the replay showed it was the arm what hitted the ball

13395142_1735742566675739_995962221_n.jpg

Referees checked it very well. And remember the new FIFA rules can be applied here! Don't believe me??. Then yes, DIOS ES PERUANO HOY DIA!! (god was peruvian today!!)

Really .___. . On the replay it showed it wasn't even a handball alá Maradona...

Diego-Maradona-009.jpg

Or even a more obvious one...

130107094203-luis-suarez-story-getty-single-image-cut.jpg

Yes, it was close to the hand, but the replay showed it was the arm what hitted the ball

View attachment 558033

Referees checked it very well. And remember the new FIFA rules can be applied here! Don't believe me??. Then yes, DIOS ES PERUANO HOY DIA!! (god was peruvian today!!)
It was the most blatant handball I have ever seen. The ball didn't make contact with any of his body but his hand. Brazil must be feeling absolutely gutted.

The saying "That's Football" is so prevalent in the sport's culture around the world when the final score of a match is plagued with unbelievable mistakes by the referees. That saying acknowledges and accepts ignorance and indifference; so until FIFA decides to implement video replay, we will all have to go back to that stupid phrase and shrug these things off.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I will not criticize Peru (players and supporters) for celebrating this win, even when they know that this was a blatant handball. Argentina, France, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Barcelona etc, etc., have done the same at some point.

I'm guessing Argentina - Venezuela for the next round? and then Arg - Ecuador on the semis. Argentina should not have a problem winning the cup. 👍

I will not criticize Peru (players and supporters) for celebrating this win, even when they know that this was a blatant handball. Argentina, France, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Barcelona etc, etc., have done the same at some point.

The thing is the game is very badly refereed. The rules themselves allow for mistakes of this kind to happen, and the ruling bodies don't seem to care at all.

About the handball, I believe it was deliberate, since the player moved his arm forward and only then moved it backwards, but hey, it's my opinion and the only man who knows for sure is the Peruvian player. It's one of those cases were the rules should always punish based on what happened, not on the intention of the players.

Otherwise we have this huge gray area were one referee says one thing, and another referee says a completely different one.

Like in this goal against River Plate:

Yeah that goal should have been disallowed. I guess the difference now should be whether to sanction the player with a red or yellow card. One thing is trying to help stop the ball with your hand/arm, another one is to score with the hand/arm.

Anyhow, shame on FIFA for this. I won't even blame the referee since you could tell he wanted to disallow the goal but couldn't as they are not supposed to make a decision using technology at all.

Yeah that goal should have been disallowed. I guess the difference now should be whether to sanction the player with a red or yellow card. One thing is trying to help stop the ball with your hand/arm, another one is to score with the hand/arm.

Anyhow, shame on FIFA for this. I won't even blame the referee since you could tell he wanted to disallow the goal but couldn't as they are not supposed to make a decision using technology at all.

Sadly the referees get all the blame. People think refereeing a game is very easy, when it really is not. Not to mention we have replays, and referees have only one shot at calling something out.

I don't wanna get too excited, but Argentina is playing very very well. Messi of course comes in and changes the game, but we are OK without him as well.

Still don't know why Higuain is in the squad :rolleyes:

As predicted, Venezuela is our next opponent and Argentina better take them seriously and watch out for counter attacks!

He was top scorer of the Serie A and breaking the record of the amount goals to have ever scored in a season.

All of that means nothing with the national team where he has always managed to derp at the most crucial moments.
Some players do great playing for their football clubs...but that's where they should stay.

I don't wanna get too excited, but Argentina is playing very very well. Messi of course comes in and changes the game, but we are OK without him as well.

Still don't know why Higuain is in the squad :rolleyes:

As predicted, Venezuela is our next opponent and Argentina better take them seriously and watch out for counter attacks!

inb4 Venezuela beats us and tons of "you wish you were Argenzuela now" memes sprout out.

All of that means nothing with the national team where he has always managed to derp at the most crucial moments.
Some players do great playing for their football clubs...but that's where they should stay.

Higuaín is pretty good, though. It's Agüero who should go, thankfully Tévez is out already (based Martino following Sabella's footsteps), but Agüero (just like Di María) always managed to be on an extremely low level in the national team.

People always remember the miss against Germany and against Chile. What they don't seem to remember is that we had TWO clear chances against Germany*, and nothing else. And Chile, well, thanks Di María for getting injured minutes into the final, and Banega missed his penalty as well, so...

*ironically people praise Romero for his one good match in the Selección (against Netherlands), but he totally gave away the goal to Götze.

Last edited:
Back