Copa America Centenario 2016

• Thread starter lxmmy
  • 102 comments
I have no interest whatsoever in this thing but even I have to say gotdamnwhatthehell when you see the final score. Really, what were they doing?

Vargas party. Still can't believe the score line.

Literally a no contest with Chile. A whopping 11 shots on target compared to Mexico's 1.

@OZZYGT Do you want to rescind your comments about Higuain now?

Vargas party. Still can't believe the score line.

Literally a no contest with Chile. A whopping 11 shots on target compared to Mexico's 1.

@OZZYGT Do you want to rescind your comments about Higuain now?
He just got lucky :D.

Nah I'm joking, the first goal was beauty because of how he finished it. The press is praising Messi for his pass to him but that was not an easy goal to make. I'll give him that. The second, well, let's say he's used to getting these gifts from the defense (see 2010 WC against Mexico and 2014 WC against Germany).
I just ask for some kind of consistency. I do recognize he's a great striker, but after so many finals with so many chances to score and missing, my patience runs out.

Chile tho.... Jesus Christ, they now have become the favourite to win this cup. Mexico looked waaaaay to nervous. I'm disappointed but happy for chile too. Now the only thing is Vidal won't play the next game vs Colombia, but it will still be a good match to watch 👍

Didn't see the Chile-Mexico match, so I can't judge. I'll only say Brasil got its ass handed over by Germany, and everyone expected them to run over Argentina in the final, yet the final score was 1-0 and only because we missed some pretty clear chances and Romero left his hands at home in Götze's goal.

EDIT: Daily reminder the Mexican league is crap but has the money to take all the good players away from the rest of South America (and some from Europe). Barovero, Teo Gutiérrez, Sánchez, Mercado, Gignac... didn't stop River from beating Tigres, tho. :D

Last edited:
EDIT: Daily reminder the Mexican league is crap but has the money to take all the good players away from the rest of South America (and some from Europe). Barovero, Teo Gutiérrez, Sánchez, Mercado, Gignac... didn't stop River from beating Tigres, tho. :D
It's a very controversial topic, even one player has just retired at 24 years old because the league is made for foreigners and the locals barely get any play time.

This is pretty much what happens
  1. Group of young talents win an nt title (Sub-17 WC, Olympic Games)
  2. Everyone start praising them and the "big clubs" of the league sign them (one or two are lucky enough to get signed in another league)
  3. These big clubs also sign the leftovers of South American leagues and present them as "superstars" (with notable exceptions)
  4. The foreign players play full matches and the young talents play 5 minutes every two or three games.
  5. They are slowly forgotten
  6. Fast foward to a tournament where the main team plays
  7. The NT loses an important match
  8. "Hurrr durr why do we depend on the same people, where are the new generations"
  9. Wait for the next U-XX tournament and repeat

It's a very controversial topic, even one player has just retired at 24 years old because the league is made for foreigners and the locals barely get any play time.

This is pretty much what happens
  1. Group of young talents win an nt title (Sub-17 WC, Olympic Games)
  2. Everyone start praising them and the "big clubs" of the league sign them (one or two are lucky enough to get signed in another league)
  3. These big clubs also sign the leftovers of South American leagues and present them as "superstars" (with notable exceptions)
  4. The foreign players play full matches and the young talents play 5 minutes every two or three games.
  5. They are slowly forgotten
  6. Fast foward to a tournament where the main team plays
  7. The NT loses an important match
  8. "Hurrr durr why do we depend on the same people, where are the new generations"
  9. Wait for the next U-XX tournament and repeat

It's a surprising reversal of the situation in Argentina. We rely on local players who end up being sold to Europe and making it big, or being sold to lesser leagues just because they have the money and a huge salary to keep them happy. It's what they call "hacer la diferencia económica" here, that is, going to a lesser league just so they can earn money for their future and that of their family. It's respectable as long as the player is honest about it. But a lot of players aren't, and quite a few have gone to Mexico as free agents.

Mexican league has gotten a lot better though. I remember when it was just funny to watch their games, but within time it has become the most organized league in this hemisphere. Definitely better than the Primera Division Argentina. Talent wise, South America is better by a long shot, but the Mexican League beats them in professionality.

DK
I blame Drumpf. :P

At his next rally: "Mexico does not send us their best people; they send us their midfield, full backs and even Layun, some players though, are good people I assume"

Last edited:
He has the same amount of goals as Salomon Rondon in this tournament.

That's like saying Messi wasn't the best player of the world during the 2010 World Cup. Sure he didn't score any goals back then, but that doesn't mean much. Higuaín is much more than just a few goals. (For that matter, a lot of strikers score lots of goals against small teams, but disappear against the biggest outfits)

Rondon has been on form and had contributed to nearly every Venezuelan goal.

And so what is your point?
My point is that two goals against Venezuela don't contradict @OZZYGT's point that he has missed big chances in big games
That's like saying Messi wasn't the best player of the world during the 2010 World Cup. Sure he didn't score any goals back then, but that doesn't mean much. Higuaín is much more than just a few goals. (For that matter, a lot of strikers score lots of goals against small teams, but disappear against the biggest outfits)
I was only referring to his tendency to miss good chances on the big stage.

I rate Higuaín pretty highly myself, I just think it's pretty rediculous to ask for comments rescinded in this situation.

Btw Lamela is God.

My point is that two goals against Venezuela don't contradict @OZZYGT's point that he has missed big chances in big games
Well give me a central striker currently for Argentina who had played over 50 games with that good of a goal/game ratio then I consider your comments because all you just said he has scored the same amount of goals to Rondon. And he was by far one of the best players at the World Cup for Aregntina.

You might want to highlight Messi's missed chances.

Well give me a central striker currently for Argentina who had played over 50 games with that good of a goal/game ratio then I consider your comments because all you just said he has scored the same amount of goals to Rondon. And he was by far one of the best players at the World Cup for Aregntina.

But that's not the argument he was making is it? Nobody is denying that Higuaín is a good striker, I don't see why you're bringing up his goal to games ratio seeing as we're pretty much all in agreement that he's good.

The point that is being made is that he chokes on the big stage. If he was a player for the big stage, Argentina might have a World Cup, would have a copa America.

His misses have been killer blows in fights to get into the champions league, as well as runs in the cup and champions league for Real Madrid.

He has pretty much won 2 champions league finals on his own, he isn't a choke artist.

He has pretty much won 2 champions league finals on his own, he isn't a choke artist.
Now you are highlighting club performances when I was referencing him on the international stage.

His misses have been killer blows in fights to get into the champions league,
He was literally a one man team up front with the exception of Insigne and Hamsik. And how when Napoli finished 2nd last season hugely thanks to him.

Last edited:
The point that is being made is that he chokes on the big stage. If he was a player for the big stage, Argentina might have a World Cup, would have a copa America.

It's only two games, man. For what I care, Messi choked on both finals as well, since he would have scored a few goals most likely had he been playing with Barcelona.

The National Team =/= Club. It's never been like that, and it will never be like that. Spain is the one that came closer to that because it was basically Barcelona + Real Madrid. You say Higuaín "choked" based on the fact he missed the only opportunity he had during the entire game. That doesn't seem really fair, to be honest.

In fact, Trezeguet missed a penalty during a World Cup final while he had netted a Golden Goal in a previous UEFA Euro. Do we call him a half-choke?

Cristiano Ronaldo, on the other hand... there's a player that chokes on the big stage. Good player, but he only seems to score lots of goals against low-end teams from Europe and La Liga. And disregarding the fact he doesn't seem to score on big games, he almost always plays awful during those matches.

Cristiano Ronaldo, on the other hand... there's a player that chokes on the big stage. Good player, but he only seems to score lots of goals against low-end teams from Europe and La Liga. And disregarding the fact he doesn't seem to score on big games, he almost always plays awful during those matches.
Cristiano is always on form at the beginning of the Spanish league and Champions League; that's when he racks up most of his goals. However his performance dramatically declines as the leagues come to an end. He doesn't run, he doesn't play defense, he seems like he doesn't know what to do with the football.. and ends up passing it almost right away after getting it.
He was an astounding player with great dribbling skills 3-4 years ago, but at this point, he's milking his time with a great team like Real Madrid with players who can feed him great passes only for him to score easily.

Honestly it's no surprise he's playing the way he is at this moment.

EDIT: typo

Last edited:
Well that was... Ughhh... don't know how to describe it...

Didn't watch the game. I expected them to lose, but come on, one thing is losing and another one is getting 🤬 !!!!

Well let's see... I'm gonna go for a 3-2 or 2-1 Argentina win over USA.

USA may not have a rich football history, but they are tough team to beat. Physically their players are stronger, and have become focused on precision passing thanks to their German coach.

They actually beat us 3-0 in 1995's Copa America! Should be a great game!

EDIT: Aaaaand that's a record for Messi. One of the most beautiful free kick goals I have ever seen. We are so lucky he's Argentine

Last edited:
It's all ogre.

Really good match from Argentina, one of the best I've seen in quite a while, sadly the United States is not one team to be particularly proud for playing well against.

It's all ogre.

Really good match from Argentina, one of the best I've seen in quite a while, sadly the United States is not one team to be particularly proud for playing well against.
So much for me hyping up this game :lol:

The US simply didn't show up to the game. :indiff:

We Argentina vs Chile today.

Hope we win, mostly because of Messi, Higuaín, Lamela, Mercado and Funes Mori.

Higuain = scores against Sasuolo, Sapienza, lecce etc. but with the national team, he's a friggin fraud...

COLD CHEST

Back