Coraline

  • Thread starter Thread starter Duke
  • 6 comments
  • 760 views

Duke

Keep 'em separated
Staff Emeritus
Messages
24,344
United States
Midlantic Area
Messages
GTP_Duke
So, everybody's been mum on this one. Who's seen it?

I have, and I enjoyed it. Though I am an unabashed Neil Gaiman fan, as is my wife.
 
Though I am an unabashed Neil Gaiman fan, as is my wife.

Neeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrdddddddssssssss!


I really haven't heard a thing about this though. I'll look it up.
 
It isn't out in our market yet.

I'm eagerly awaiting it... reviews are mostly positive, some seem turned off by the animation... how good/bad is the animation? Facial expressions? "acting"?
 
I'm a HUGE Neil Gaiman fan, but I haven't seen this yet. I'll probably wait for the DVD like I did with Stardust.
 
It looks fantastic. The same director as The Nightmare Before Christmas, and James and the Giant Peach. In fact, the animation style looks like a combination of the two already similar styles.

I'm iffy on the whole Neil Gaiman thing. I enjoyed Stardust in a Princess Bride meets Saturday morning cartoon kind of way. Yet, I tend to want for something a little deeper in my films. Fantasy or no.



;)
 
Read his books. If you're looking for more weight, read American Gods.

Although his fantasy stories make entertaining movies, they're not a patch on the original writing. He tends to be a very hands-off person with the movie adaptations, though unlike Alan Moore he doesn't then go to great lengths to weep and gnash his teeth about how he disowns the whole sordid thing.

The animated 'acting' in Coraline is quite good. In fact, I think I like the animated Coraline character better than I would have if it had been the live-action Dakota Fanning. It's clearly whimsical and intended to be, but it's good.
 
Hmmmm... I have read a few of his books, and they certainly didn't grab me. However, I have not read "American Gods". I'll give it a try.



;)
 
Back