Could the Xbox One Lose Its Disc Drive and Go All Digital Ahead of E3 2019?

. Fair enough. But again, why would I want a physical drive in my console? I have purchased hundreds of games for the PS4 this generation....and I've not used the optical drive even a single time. I never will. Why should I pay for something I don't want or won't use? I can get a smaller console and a cheaper one too....without that option. I'm not saying not to offer the optical drive option.....just that having both options is a good thing. I'd still buy the console with the optical drive if that was the only option. But give me one without it and I'm definitely all in on that one. To each their own. You can buy the console that fits your gaming preferences best.

And what if the next gen of consoles or the one after only have a HDD, because the largest percentage of people, like yourself, only brought consoles without a disc drive to make it the more popular choice and made physical copies redundant? And you brought"hundreds of games" for that.? This would give companies like MS and Sony leverage in using internet access and drm policies the only way to play these games. Then when these respective consoles are no longer supported and you are left with two dead consoles with gigs of useless data on them, after having spent thousands. Would you still support the digital only practice? "Oh well it was good while it lasted! Time to spend another small fortune on the next batch on consoles and games, until the same thing happens again!" Wash, rinse and repeat.

I don't care at all about the "cheaper second hand market". I haven't bought used game since the original Xbox/PS2 days. Being able to swap games and play an old console longer after support has stopped? I think that ship sailed long ago. Every game requires a day one patch...and usually many more updates beyond that. How are you going to play the game if you can't access those? I can't say I like that it is this way these days, but that is the reality. You are wishing for a time that has long since passed.

So you would glady pay a higher price for a digital copy of a game for the convenience of space, instead of saving money buying a second hand game? Even now, say you didn't have GT Sport but wanted to purchse it and saw it on PS store for $20 and $12 for a physical copy? And the same goes for your library of other 100's of games! That's alot of money over spent for the sake of shelf space! You sound like someone in a very fortunate and privileged position?! Also, with the foresite of where companies like MS are trying to lead us, and with games and consoles no longer being supported, I had the sense and foresight of having the most up to date versions of games I still play on my PS3, with all the patches installed. So I can continue playing them in their complete guises for as long as I wish. And a larger hdd to store more game data if necessary hardly costs much, if you needed it. In fact, I try out GT 6 on occasion for the tracks I dearly wish were on GT Sport.

Have people got short term memory loss and forgotten what Microsoft tried to pull with the original Xbox 1? They aren't doing it for our benefit. They are sprinkling some goodies like game sharing just for us to take the bait. But the original concept for Xbox 1 game sharing - and I use the term loosely - was far more stringent: Have a player on your friend list for a month and you could "gift" them this game, at the expense of you as the original owner losing the right to play it anymore. And if backward compatibility is a feature that Xbox 1 can do now, why did they withold that feature until they were getting trounced in sales by Sony before they decided to offer it? We are headed to a critical point in gaming. I for one am happy saving money on my games and revisiting them years later. People can call me old fashioned and living in the past if they want. Less freedom to access games that I payed my hard earned money for isn't progress in my mind. It is being controlled and ripped off!

Last edited:
It's a double whammy of wallet raping goodness for console manufacturers because a) they get to ditch the disc drive making the console cheaper & thus more appealing to customers initially, & b) they get to charge what ever they want for digital games with no competition from the hard copy market, & implement whatever DRM practices they see fit which could be "updated" at anytime. They'll end up with a captive audience, & have us all by the short & curlies!

I did buy all digital with the PS4 generation, simply because I hated the noisy disc drive in my PS4 & didn't want to risk it wearing out (plus I'm a bit lazy & like not having to swap discs out all the time). However, I did run into some problems; pre-ordered a game which turned out to be utter rubbish imho, & by the time I realised it was too late to get a refund (can't sell on digital copies - GRRRR).

There are pros & cons to both digital & hard copies, but, at the moment we have the best of both worlds as we can choose on a game by game basis. If things go completely digital in the future, then we will be without choice on those consoles, & lack of choice is never a good thing me thinks.

There are plus and minus points to both forms of media. I have always in the past been one that bought the physical copy of a game on console. I still have the older games that still work great. The disadvantage is if the laser or the disc drive were to go bad then I would have to repair or replace the console to play the game. Generally one of the biggest console problems encountered are disc read errors on consoles.

I also never hook up the PS1 OR PS2 console to play those old games so really what is the advantage to having that media?

But the biggest thing I see currently, in the past most games when they hit the retail shelves they were a completed game, you pretty much got everything you were going to get at the time of purchase and with the exception of maybe some bug fixes you bought a completed finished game.

Fast forward to today and many games are released with major problems or with not complete content. Online play is much more commonplace which requires a fully updated game to play along with an internet connection for many features. This alone make the physical copy less of an advantage in my opinion as then you are adding in the need for an operating disc drive along with internet connection and download capability.

Just getting easier to either buy from the console makers store or steam where the latter has the advantage of all of your gaming library being in one place. I feel the digital format will be the main distribution media in the future.

As far as sales digital format you just have to be patient to wait for the game you want to go on sale. With no physical media, packaging or shipping cost games will occasionally go on sale dirt cheap like for just a few dollars.

I am starting to get on the digital bandwagon, nice to not have to change disc if I want to change games. Most current PC'S do not even include a media drive anymore period. That should give an indication to the direction that the mainstream is going.

It makes sense to release a digital only console nowadays, but whats the point of buying an Xbox One S today? From a technical point of view, its a weak system which cannot even run most of the latest games in 1080p. Xbox One X offers way better value. There are no Xbox exclusives anymore (PC) and the next gen consoles are not far away. It is a rather strange time releasing this IMO..

I might buy one of these just to play Forza. Looks pretty inexpensive, so the biggest investment will probably be online and the games themselves.

Gotta feel for employees of game and the like just selling consoles and peripherals wont sustain their retail business in the coming years...

It makes sense to release a digital only console nowadays, but whats the point of buying an Xbox One S today? From a technical point of view, its a weak system which cannot even run most of the latest games in 1080p. Xbox One X offers way better value. There are no Xbox exclusives anymore (PC) and the next gen consoles are not far away. It is a rather strange time releasing this IMO..

That's sort of how I feel: this far into the generation, if someone really wanted to join in, I'd have a hard time not recommending the X (or the Pro).

My guess is that this console — which has the hilarious acronym of XB1 SAD :lol: — will be Microsoft's value proposition. It'll easily slide under $200 by the holiday season, and I think it will appeal to those that want to get an additional console from this gen. Speaking of:

I might buy one of these just to play Forza. Looks pretty inexpensive, so the biggest investment will probably be online and the games themselves.

You don't game on PC, right? If not I'd say that's a good call for Forza access. Also Cuphead — though that comes to Switch soon too.

Gotta feel for employees of game and the like just selling consoles and peripherals wont sustain their retail business in the coming years...

Eh, sort of. The writing's been on the wall this entire console generation at least, so I can't imagine anybody is surprised at this point.

If anything, I'd argue Game/EB's biggest failing was its rush to get rid of older generation titles in its used library. Classic gaming is a big thing (the Nintendo classic systems are proof), and I always end up going to local shops because EB only ever wants to sell me practically-new titles for something like $5 less than a brand new copy.

Well, even with streaming video, I thought movies on USBs, should have been sold long ago. I don't mind digital only as everything(but cash money) seem to be going this way.

And so it begins. The cant put a physical in it console box. Why so big. Why not just be a fire stick that links to a streaming server...called skynet. We think we are playing games but really they are playing us.
Ber der der derf derf
Ber der der derf derf

If it affects EB games/Gamespot I'm all for it,Those bastards have being fleecing me for years.On the other hand internet is still expensive and slow for some though 4G speeds are very fast on 5ghz. Dirt Rally cost me about $180 to download (whole game when in EA) + game cost as my only source of internet was my phone.When unlimited data plans (phone/modem) become available I'll go digital.
Seems funny that 95% of pc sales are digital and most players consider this the norm while console players like the feeling of seeing/handling/having a nice little piece of art which happens to include a game.I do.

I'm sorry, it's hilarious that MS thinks a 1TB HDD is gonna be enough for a disc less system. I had 1TB between two HDDs last time I had an Xbox it was definitely not enough space. Especially considering Forza 7 and Horizon 4 are each like 70GB without the 4K textures. In this realm of 100GB + games, a LEAST 2TB is need. 4TB is probably what I'd recommend, though. I have a 4TB external for my PS4 and I finally had to go and delete some stuff like Anthem 'cause it was getting full. But..no, discless consoles need ALL the HDD space.

I'm sorry, it's hilarious that MS thinks a 1TB HDD is gonna be enough for a disc less system.

I very much doubt they think that, I also doubt they really care. This generation's consoles hasn't had the massive price drops we've seen in prior generations, which means there's still a bit of money on the table. So making a version like this that they can unload for considerably cheaper than other versions could appeal to those not wanting to or are unable to pay the higher entry fee of the current versions on the market. For those consumers the 1TB drive is also probably adequate enough.

Seems funny that 95% of pc sales are digital and most players consider this the norm while console players like the feeling of seeing/handling/having a nice little piece of art which happens to include a game.I do.
Piracy is simpler on PC, which is why digital was pushed more aggressively in the first place, and also why digital was accepted more readily by PC gamers, I think. Whatever happens with your digital purchases on PC, chances are you can reacquire the software and disable the DRM. That's not as easy with a console.

If P.T. had been released on Steam and then de-listed, for example, it would still be shared around on the internet. With mods to add more gameplay and stuff, probably.

As closed platforms, consoles can't benefit from that kind of under-the-table trust to compensate for the volatility of digital purchases.

But..no, discless consoles need ALL the HDD space
This console generation, it doesn't matter if it's discless or not. You're still taking up the same HDD space both ways. This amount of space seems to be the norm, and I doubt we'd see 4TB internals anytime soon, with this generation at least.

$249 is dumb. You can get a number of S bundles right now on Amazon for that or less.

I'm already all digital all generation, but this doesn't even offer you anything like a slimmer redesign or lower price while removing an option.

I could see the disk less One coming down in price at retailers pretty quickly as it will have to be positioned under the S.

I could see the disk less One coming down in price at retailers pretty quickly as it will have to be positioned under the S.
I'm finding it hard to even find a stand alone One S in general for a price comparison. Amazon has a lot it's bundles, as well as the original console labeled as Discontinued and all retailers are seemingly having the same exact sale across the board with the bundles sitting at $250.

Is the original One S being phased out? If that's the case, than I doubt it's going to price itself lower than something they aren't selling anymore, even if there's hardly any difference between the two.

I'm finding it hard to even find a stand alone One S in general for a price comparison. Amazon has a lot it's bundles, as well as the original console labeled as Discontinued and all retailers are seemingly having the same exact sale across the board with the bundles sitting at $250.

Is the original One S being phased out? If that's the case, than I doubt it's going to price itself lower than something they aren't selling anymore, even if there's hardly any difference between the two.

As of yet as far as I'm aware MS hasn't stated they are discontinuing the S which means if the diskless one is going to succeed it has to be priced lower than the S bundles out there.

It's literally the PSP Go pricing all over again, the 3000 was still being produced and was cheaper with bundles etc and the Go was priced higher.

As of yet as far as I'm aware MS hasn't stated they are discontinuing the S which means if the diskless one is going to succeed it has to be priced lower than the S bundles out there.

It's literally the PSP Go pricing all over again, the 3000 was still being produced and was cheaper with bundles etc and the Go was priced higher.
Well I wouldn't doubt we get bundles with this one as well. The price before this had the One S was sitting at $300, if I remember correctly. So technically, wouldn't that make it cheaper?

After going through Amazon right now, it seems like almost every Xbox/bundle is on sale right now, for just about $50 cheaper than normal, so is this just an actual limited sale, or is this going to be the actual price point for these(One S as well as One X) from now on or is this just some sort of Spring/Easter sale?

I don't think I bought anything on disc since my Xbox 360 days, it's kind of pointless now.

I have two physical XB1 titles and 10 PS4. I own 12 times that amount of XB1 digital titles, and five times the PS4. I didn't realize just how far I'd moved over to digital until I took stock a few months ago.

Well I wouldn't doubt we get bundles with this one as well. The price before this had the One S was sitting at $300, if I remember correctly. So technically, wouldn't that make it cheaper?

After going through Amazon right now, it seems like almost every Xbox/bundle is on sale right now, for just about $50 cheaper than normal, so is this just an actual limited sale, or is this going to be the actual price point for these(One S as well as One X) from now on or is this just some sort of Spring/Easter sale?

According to Microsoft the SAD will remain the cheapest option into the XB1 family:

We realize price plays an important role in providing the opportunity to make console gaming more accessible to more gamers around the world. Available for pre-order today at $249.99 USD, the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition is $50 USD less than Xbox One S, and we expect to maintain at least that price difference between the two consoles going forward.
Read more at https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/04/16/xbox-one-s-all-digital-edition/#5BHLxBsHCUXZ3YrK.99

I guess as finding a non bundled S is difficult you can only make the price comparison to the bundle offers that are out there. Technically in terms of RRP it's cheaper but the RRP doesn't really have much bearing because in real world retailer price conditions as it currently stands this is more expensive but as I said I'm sure they would quickly price this below the S. As for bundles yes I sure retailers would probably offer download codes with it above whats already in the box.

Really not mind as long as it presents itself as a (cheaper) option from the disc version.

Unless Microsoft decides to discontinue the disc version which very unlikely unless they play "courage ala Apple" or their management's go back to early nightmarish XBone days.

I guess as finding a non bundled S is difficult you can only make the price comparison to the bundle offers that are out there. Technically in terms of RRP it's cheaper but the RRP doesn't really have much bearing because in real world retailer price conditions as it currently stands this is more expensive but as I said I'm sure they would quickly price this below the S. As for bundles yes I sure retailers would probably offer download codes with it above whats already in the box.
Microsoft themselves don't even sell it standalone anymore. They only have a multitude of bundles available. There was one actually, it had two controllers and set at $300. Do we know if all these bundles available are having these new sales permanently or are they just part of a limited sale. Because if it's the former, than they really aren't cheaper at the moment.

Microsoft themselves don't even sell it standalone anymore. They only have a multitude of bundles available. There was one actually, it had two controllers and set at $300. Do we know if all these bundles available are having these new sales permanently or are they just part of a limited sale. Because if it's the former, than they really aren't cheaper at the moment.

On Amazon US for example they have S bundles for $219, $232, $248 etc and this is pretty much a standard knock down off the RRP, not a flash sale. If the average consumer can get a UHD drive for like $20 less or the same price it's a hard case to make as things currently stand.

The One S and the One X are always on sale. So the price of the disc-less S is not that unreasonable.

I've read that it will come bundled with 2 or 3 games.

A couple weeks ago every One X was priced 100 dollars less and bundled with Gears of War 4 and another game(2K19/Fallout 76).

I feel like any time you remove the choice of the consumer it is a bad thing. This thread shows that both camps have valid points. I'm OK with MS offering an all digital version as long as I have the ability to choose between both versions of the console.
There are 2 main reasons that I would always choose (even if it costs more) a version with a physical media player. First, as a parent it is much cooler on Christmas morning or a birthday to actually open a gift and see that game you really wanted. I have asked my son what he would prefer and even in this digital age he tells me he would rather open the game than some card that says you now own this game. Second, I have over 200 movies and TV shows in collection. I popped in my blue rays of s7 of GOT to get a fresh perspective of what was going on before the new season. These consoles have been advertised as not just gaming machines but a system you can use to do everything so I've phased out my blue ray players. I have one in my bedroom that just sits and collects dust.
My last thing is there is speculation that MS can save money without the inclusion of the drive but the announced price is exactly the same. My sons Xbox S was 249. I have read people stating that there will be price drops over time. That same thing happens with the version that does include the physical media player. I just don't see a benefit to the consumer here at all. You are getting less for the same price. Edited to add a link to the MS store showing the price.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/x...G:s&invsrc=search&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back