Could the Xbox One Lose Its Disc Drive and Go All Digital Ahead of E3 2019?

An example from Best Buy... for the average casual consumer (maybe buying it as a gift for someone) I find it hard to believe they would pick the disk less one. $50 off seems to be a practically permanent knock down off the S's RRP.

upload_2019-4-17_18-19-2.png

upload_2019-4-17_18-19-38.png

But I'm sure the retailers will make it make sense either through a lower price or more bundled game downloads.

On Amazon US for example they have S bundles for $219, $232, $248 etc and this is pretty much a standard knock down off the RRP, not a flash sale. If the average consumer can get a UHD drive for like $20 less or the same price it's a hard case to make as things currently stand.
You mean all those one's marked as discontinued? I wonder if that has any reason to do with it. There's also some sitting at 300$, and just found one at $380. So that said, I don't think something on sale should determine that it's this new console isn't actually cheaper. Like I said before this, I saw the stand alone versions of the One S sitting at $300, but now I'm having trouble finding any that don't have a big fat Discontinued next to it.

An example from Best Buy... for the average casual consumer (maybe buying it as a gift for someone) I find it hard to believe they would pick the disk less one. $50 off seems to be a practically permanent knock down off the S's RRP.
You mean that one that comes with Minecraft, Sea of Theives, and Forza Horizon 3? As a gift, I'd probably choose the one that came with 3 games, rather than just one, if they're the same price.

You mean all those one's marked as discontinued?

No, a few examples...
upload_2019-4-17_18-29-26.png
upload_2019-4-17_18-29-50.png

The RRP pricepoint for the S is a moot price because no one seems to be charging it.

ImaRobot
You mean that one that comes with Minecraft, Sea of Theives, and Forza Horizon 3? As a gift, I'd probably choose the one that came with 3 games, rather than just one, if they're the same price.

Well games are subjective, someone might rather have one game they want than 3 they don't really care for. Also Grandma buying it for her grandsons birthday isn't going to know or care less!

No, a few examples...
View attachment 814998 View attachment 814999

The RRP pricepoint for the S is a moot price because no one seems to be charging it.
I wonder if that has to do with, what seems, a discontinuation of the current run of One S since you literally can't find it anywhere as a standalone product. Either way, you and I simply don't know either way really.

Did you miss this part?
I wonder why they don't just release one with no games, likely changing the price point, to avoid all this confusion.

Did you miss this part?

No, see my previous post.

I wonder why they don't just release one with no games, likely changing the price point, to avoid all this confusion.

I prefer non bundled consoles and would rather just buy the game I want separately or at a later date. If they didn't include the 3 digital downloads/preloads yes it would probably be less.

I wonder if that has to do with, what seems, a discontinuation of the current run of One S since you literally can't find it anywhere as a standalone product. Either way, you and I simply don't know either way really.

Did you miss this part?

They own the IP's they bundle with the consoles. They make that up in software sales anyways.

Well games are subjective, someone might rather have one game they want than 3 they don't really care for. Also Grandma buying it for her grandsons birthday isn't going to know or care less!
That's not here nor there though. Someone like one game more than the other doesn't change the fact that without those games, it will likely lower the price point.

Grandma buying it for her grandson is likely going to see the one that has plenty more games, and get that one instead, specifically for the reason of not knowing the games like you mentioned. She'd go in and ask someone in CSR, and he'll likely explain what comes with what.

I prefer non bundled consoles and would rather just buy the game I want separately or at a later date. If they didn't include the 3 digital downloads/preloads it would probably be less.
Which basically defeats the argument about it being more expensive. It is bundled just like everything else, they just didn't blast it on the cover image like the others. I'd buy a bundle if I was new to the console in general, just to get a taste of whatever it has to offer. The games, me being knowledgeable about them, I'd definitely just go for BFV or Anthem over what the SAD is offering.

They own the IP's they bundle with the consoles. They make that up in software sales anyways.
Me owning something and giving it away doesn't mean that whatever I gave away was free to me, though. It's still a product that costs money, and with the price point, you're getting it at a price that you're likely saving money just buying it as a bundle, rather than individual.

Going off that, I feel that it's not more expensive as others are stating. It is cheaper than what the standalone was, even excluding games. Now it comes with more games than the other bundles are offering, even if they are owned by Microsoft, and even if they aren't the most recent games either.

Grandma buying it for her grandson is likely going to see the one that has plenty more games, and get that one instead, specifically for the reason of not knowing the games like you mentioned. She'd go in and ask someone in CSR, and he'll likely explain what comes with what.

I'm pretty sure the salesmen would tell her that the one with the drive is better because her grandson could buy cheaper new games, used games and play movies.

Which basically defeats the argument about it being more expensive. It's bundled is bundled just like everything else, they just didn't blast it on the cover image like the others.

The digital S is bundled and the S is bundled, yet they are the same price so your getting less (the UHD drive) for the same price if not slightly more. What the bundle comprises of and what appeals to the individual is a separate discussion.

Hey, selling something with less for the same price (or more) has worked for Porsche. Maybe that's MS' plan? :P

I'm guessing sales will soon apply to the SAD too. One important note about the official release versus the leak though, that I think very much matters for those with slower connections: the three games need to be downloaded. They don't come pre-installed.

I'm pretty sure the salesmen would tell her that the one with the drive is better because her grandson could buy cheaper new games, used games and play movies.
Or if it's like the one's I've seen, they wouldn't care either way what they can do outside of buying the one thing they're selling to the grandma :lol: Either way, again, that's all extremely besides the original point that you were making, that its not cheaper(but actually seems to be since it does include a couple of games.)

New games you'll be seeing just as much sales, so getting them cheaper is just depending on the outlet. Straight from the Microsoft store you don't have to deal with vendors trying to make a cut, so you'll get them for cheaper right out of the gate especially since you wont be paying tax. Plus you can still purchase digital codes in stores and off sites like Amazon.

You do have a point with used games though, but even then, unless you take the risk of going to craigslist, that savings is going to be minimal at best.

The movies though, makes perfect sense. I buy all my movies on hard copy, I just prefer them that way.

The digital S is bundled and the S is bundled, yet they are the same price so your getting less (the UHD drive) for the same price if not slightly more.
What you're losing out with the UHD you're getting in extra games. How the is taken on board will vary from person to person, but you're essentially substituting something for the other. So even if they are exactly the same, the price difference between losing the UHD, but getting more games still means you're getting the better deal with the SAD, considering the price of the 3 games you're getting. If anything, at most they break even, at least, it's still cheaper as an individual product.

Still, until an actual stand alone One S becomes available again, that's all a guessing game. Like I said though, Going off the fact that the One S were originally $300 not too long ago, then it definitely is cheaper compared to how much the one with the disc drive was.

What the bundle comprises of and what appeals to the individual is a separate discussion.
You're right. That's what you brought up though, not me. The first part, however, is very much part of the discussion as it directly relates to how much things would cost if you had bought them all individually, helping you determine what is actually cheaper and what isn't.

Last edited:
Seems funny that 95% of pc sales are digital and most players consider this the norm while console players like the feeling of seeing/handling/having a nice little piece of art which happens to include a game.I do.
As much as I love having physical copies of media, the majority of my games on PC are digital because of a) the convenience of not having to use several game install disks, and b) Steam/GMG/etc. selling games at steep discounts when compared to their physical counterparts. Large game download sizes have been made slightly less painful due to being able to transfer installation files across hard drives (in most cases, at least).

As others have said, as long as the disk-less version of a console remains an option, I see nothing wrong with it. Removing it altogether would be terrible though, as there are still plenty of people in the world that have poor internet connections and/or bandwith caps.

One of the biggest reason I have against digital only is the cost. On the XBOX store the games are all £15 more expensive than physical. Even when games have been out a while and are on sale on XBOX, they are still cheaper in the shops. Fallout 76 is £20-25 in the physical shops, on the XBOX store its £60, even at £30 in the Easter sale its still not better.

One of the biggest reason I have against digital only is the cost. On the XBOX store the games are all £15 more expensive than physical. Even when games have been out a while and are on sale on XBOX, they are still cheaper in the shops. Fallout 76 is £20-25 in the physical shops, on the XBOX store its £60, even at £30 in the Easter sale its still not better.
Where at? Because I still see it at a full $60 at retail stores. That doesn't seem to be the retail price, but a quick sale.

Best Buy has it listed at $60, but Gamestop has it at $39.99.

If it affects EB games/Gamespot I'm all for it,Those bastards have being fleecing me for years.On the other hand internet is still expensive and slow for some though 4G speeds are very fast on 5ghz. Dirt Rally cost me about $180 to download (whole game when in EA) + game cost as my only source of internet was my phone.When unlimited data plans (phone/modem) become available I'll go digital.
Seems funny that 95% of pc sales are digital and most players consider this the norm while console players like the feeling of seeing/handling/having a nice little piece of art which happens to include a game.I do.
I would agree that a majority of PC game sales are digital, but, I would say 95% of PCs have a physical media player.

I have had the exact opposite experience stateside. The only games I can find cheaper physical that the Xbox Live Gold store cannot beat are Bandai-Namco games. Particularly the ones based off anime and manga.

Everything else is much cheaper BY FAR on Xbox Live with gold. I didn't realize physical copies were so valuable overseas. A certain physical retailer really tries to pull the wool over our eyes and it shows.

I would agree that a majority of PC game sales are digital, but, I would say 95% of PCs have a physical media player.
I'd say that 95% of PC's don't have physical disk drives - it's becoming increasingly difficult to find cases with the required drive bays, presumably due to the shift from physical to digital media (not just for games, but for things like OS installations too).

Where at? Because I still see it at a full $60 at retail stores. That doesn't seem to be the retail price, but a quick sale.

Best Buy has it listed at $60, but Gamestop has it at $39.99.

on Game's website. Games like Evil Within 2, Sniper Elite 4 can all be had for less than £30 in store, yet are still £50 on XBOX Live.

on Game's website. Games like Evil Within 2, Sniper Elite 4 can all be had for less than £30 in store, yet are still £50 on XBOX Live.
Yeah, but either way, you used that statement as if it covers every single game as a whole, when it doesn't. Some games are more, some games are even less, with digital. Hell, I can buy Evil Within 2 through the Microsoft Store right now for $24 if I wanted, which is cheaper than the $39.99 physical copy I see it listed at at best buy, or I can get it the physical copy for the $19.99 from Gamestop. Sometimes theres better sales, sometimes there isn't, sometimes it's cheaper digital, sometimes it isn't. It's all a case-by-case basis, so really, you listing those two doesn't really change that fact.

For Sniper Elite 4, they don't even sell it at Best Buy anymore so that's already out the window. The Microsoft Store has it sitting at $19.99, and Gamestop has it sitting at $29.99 for a physical copy.

Did you look these up before you posted? Because that seems quite a bit off from what you're saying. Either that, or it's just where you're actually from that's causing the difference.

My statement is correct for prices in the UK, I don't know why you are using US prices and shops to tell me I'm wrong.

Game prices are always dearer on Xbox UK, its only the "Gold Editions" that are the same price and that's usually because Game gets exclusivity. I understand Digital may be great I the US, but since I'm restricted by UK pricing digital still has a long way to go in the UK.

My statement is correct for prices in the UK, I don't know why you are using US prices and shops to tell me I'm wrong.

Game prices are always dearer on Xbox UK, its only the "Gold Editions" that are the same price and that's usually because Game gets exclusivity. I understand Digital may be great I the US, but since I'm restricted by UK pricing digital still has a long way to go in the UK.

The sentiment towards Microsoft's latest moves are not that well over here in the US. Many people have long outdated telecom infrastructure. Slow internet or in some places none other than mobile.

Clearly Microsoft aren't targeting those people but the animosity is similar to when they announced DRM restrictions before the Xbox One came out.

I believe you when you say you're paying less for physical games. It is competition that keeps prices down.

On Switch prices are stagnant no matter where I go. It's kinda sad. On PlayStation prices online could be better. Online sales are rare.

But Live Gold is the reason I will always have an Xbox. I remember Shadow of Mordor was $15 bucks in stores but during the summer sale I paid $3 for it. Game of the year edition too. An old game but so what. Tons of deals regardless.

The value in the disc-less systems lies within digital sales. They should bundled Gears along with the other three. They were practically giving it for free on the other consoles. It is still a good deal if you have good internet.

Did you read? Because it seems like you didn't read. Either way, I'll go on about it in a bit, but no, it really doesn't look any more correct no matter what currency we use.

Either that, or it's just where you're actually from that's causing the difference.

I'm telling you you're wrong, because it's literally not what's reflecting at all. In the US, at least, this is not the case. You're saying your statement is correct for the UK, but doesn't seem to line up with my location at all. I was merely talking about it from my point of view.

Game prices are always dearer on Xbox UK, its only the "Gold Editions" that are the same price and that's usually because Game gets exclusivity.
Which is far from the statement you made. You pointed out the price of games, and even looking at it in your currency, it's still not lining up. Hell, according to this, the Evil Within 2 that you specifically mention is only, at the time of you writing that, £16.50. Sniper Elite 4 is also sitting at £12.49

Last edited:
Did you read? Because it seems like you didn't read. Either way, I'll go on about it in a bit, but no, it really doesn't look any more correct no matter what currency we use.

I'm telling you you're wrong, because it's literally not what's reflecting at all. In the US, at least, this is not the case. You're saying your statement is correct for the UK, but doesn't seem to line up with my location at all. I was merely talking about it from my point of view.

Which is far from the statement you made. You pointed out the price of games, and even looking at it in your currency, it's still not lining up. Hell, according to this, the Evil Within 2 that you specifically mention is only, at the time of you writing that, £16.50. Sniper Elite 4 is also sitting at £12.49

So why when I click on the link does it show this
SE1.png

I'm not disputing that digital is better value in the US, but for us in the UK it isn't, regardless of what currency you put it in. You cant take your pices at change them to dollars, that's not how reginal pricing works.

Here is Games physical copy for reference.

SE1.png
SE2.png

Hey, selling something with less for the same price (or more) has worked for Porsche. Maybe that's MS' plan? :P

I'm guessing sales will soon apply to the SAD too. One important note about the official release versus the leak though, that I think very much matters for those with slower connections: the three games need to be downloaded. They don't come pre-installed.

I just read an article that said the games would come pre-loaded to the Xbox. It may be a typo. They probably meant to say it comes with the games.

I'm pretty sure the console will always be on sale eventually like every other Xbox model. The One X is almost always at $399(US) now compared to it's $500 actual price. The One S has hardly been seen at $300(US) constantly dropping to $250 and even $200 with at least one game bundled.

Back