COURSE MAKER found in recent update game code!

• Thread starter Streeto
  • 374 comments
Course maker hype train.jpg

Even if we do get a course maker, why are we convinced it will be any good?

The course maker for GT5 was rubbish, the courses it made was so dull.

For myself, course maker is not one of my top priorities. I am concerned more with past circuits and cars being updated and implemented, and new circuits and cars being added to the game. But, this feature has had hype surrounding it ever since it was announced, especially with the GPS implementation.

I am not convinced the course maker will be good since we do not have any screenshots nor any updated progress from PD. However, if course generator becomes course maker, and the feature lives up to what has been promised, it will be a much-needed boost for the game replayability. If the course maker is still a course generator that is identical to GT5, there will be backlash. We just have to wait and see.

If you put some effort into them and figured out all the little tricks to make things work right, some tracks came out fantastic.

One of mine I am proud of:

Excuse the crappy video quality, taken without proper equipment.

Mostly because for it to be able to work with their GPS app, it will need to be able to do just about anything that's physically plausible. So technically, you should be able to make pretty much anything you want.

Which would be amazingly good. Even if you're not into creating courses yourself there should be a pretty much endless stream of other people's courses for you to drive (assuming Polyphony doesn't do something dumb like not let us share our creations).

It would also be pretty much unheard of, even the ModNation creator (which was pretty awesome) was more limited than what they're shooting for, in size at least. The longer this goes on, the more likely it gets in my mind that they're not going to be able to meet some of the goals that they've set themselves.

I figure at this point it's more or less a given that we won't get the 20x20km area, that wouldn't even be surprising. Whether we get full control over the track layout or something more restrictive like a tiling layout (think slot car set) remains to be seen.

I also figure the longer this goes on the less likely it is that we ever see the GPS app. A relatively permissive course creator is one thing, but a GPS import function on top of that is another. If they can't get the first working, I don't see how they can possibly manage the second.

My bro made this track in gt5, we used to 2-player it to death

This track looks ridiculous. Would love to race that. I for one loved the course maker. Thought you could make a decently neat variety of tracks. Loved making windy country roads in the tuscan course. I couldn't stop driving them. How I would love to get those in gt6.

Whether we get full control over the track layout or something more restrictive like a tiling layout (think slot car set) remains to be seen.

That might not necessarily be a bad thing if implemented correctly. There was a Nintendo DS game called Race Driver: Create & Race which its biggest selling point was a course maker much like the one you've described. What was cool about it was that you also got a choice of scenery options and objects which made the courses more enjoyable.

That was the problem I had with GT5's course maker; the tracks never really felt like proper tracks, and there wasn't a whole lot of imagination/variety you could have with them. If PD added the ability to drop in some track side objects and features such as buildings, tunnels, even foliage etc., you'd have the ability to made a great deal of track types like city courses, half-decent real world replicas and some brilliant original creations as well.

GT5's course maker belongs to GT5. I see PD don't do repetitive features from one game to the next, so GT6 course maker will be a 2015 version.
What it's able to do is another thing. One thing it won't do is please everyone.
There is a chance you might be able to race and hotlap on a course you can make.......that's all it is.

Mostly because for it to be able to work with their GPS app, it will need to be able to do just about anything that's physically plausible. So technically, you should be able to make pretty much anything you want.

Which would be amazingly good. Even if you're not into creating courses yourself there should be a pretty much endless stream of other people's courses for you to drive (assuming Polyphony doesn't do something dumb like not let us share our creations).

It would also be pretty much unheard of, even the ModNation creator (which was pretty awesome) was more limited than what they're shooting for, in size at least. The longer this goes on, the more likely it gets in my mind that they're not going to be able to meet some of the goals that they've set themselves.

I figure at this point it's more or less a given that we won't get the 20x20km area, that wouldn't even be surprising. Whether we get full control over the track layout or something more restrictive like a tiling layout (think slot car set) remains to be seen.

I also figure the longer this goes on the less likely it is that we ever see the GPS app. A relatively permissive course creator is one thing, but a GPS import function on top of that is another. If they can't get the first working, I don't see how they can possibly manage the second.

This.

Trimming the fat to fit in the pot.

I was expecting this from day dot.

Just because something new has arrived doesn't mean the old thing is suddenly terrible.

Don't underestimate what is possible with a GT6 course maker. It doesn't necessarily have to be resource-heavy stuff that will push the PS3's hardware, it's more about the little things for me, options.

All will be clear, soon.

Honestly for the course maker to be truly good, we will need some control over where elevation, runoff area, and objects (sponsor signs, grandstands, trees) can be placed to effect the look of the tracks to a much higher degree than GT5.

AKA if I want to create Monza '60's I want to put the ridiculous amount of sponsor logos around the track that it had in period.

maxresdefault.jpg

A custom event creator (credit payouts, player's choice of AI opponents, laps, and weather) that could be shared through the club features would be icing on the cake.

Last edited:
That might not necessarily be a bad thing if implemented correctly. There was a Nintendo DS game called Race Driver: Create & Race which its biggest selling point was a course maker much like the one you've described. What was cool about it was that you also got a choice of scenery options and objects which made the courses more enjoyable.

That was the problem I had with GT5's course maker; the tracks never really felt like proper tracks, and there wasn't a whole lot of imagination/variety you could have with them. If PD added the ability to drop in some track side objects and features such as buildings, tunnels, even foliage etc., you'd have the ability to made a great deal of track types like city courses, half-decent real world replicas and some brilliant original creations as well.

It would be fine, but not as good as a fully free track creator like the ModNation one. As you say, there's still a lot of things you can do with a tile set type system, and there are potentially advantages.

The thing is, what they've described as the GPS app wouldn't work very well with a tile set type creator. Either the tile set would have to be enormous, or the tracks would bear very little resemblance to the route captured by the GPS.

I suspect we'll get very little freedom with our scenery placement, and I'll explain why.

GT5 courses had all those hills and bumps, and I figure they were so common at least in part to make it so that you could never see too far ahead. This eliminates a lot of the problem with pop in, which was still an issue on some tracks and even more of an issue in the point-to-point rally stages in the career mode (which were almost certainly using the exact same GT5 course maker tech as well).

It's likely that this is going to be a problem in GT6 as well. To some extent, you can still see the track popping into existence on Sierra as well, although much less than in the GT5 rally stages. I suspect that they're going to have to use scenery and buildings and such to creatively block lines of sight to minimise this effect, since if they're giving us full control over the track then they're not going to be able to abuse elevation to do it as they did previously.

==========

Frankly, I think ModNation Racers is the current gold standard for what a user friendly course creator in a mass market game like Gran Turismo should be. If you imagine it with some more realistic textures, props and backgrounds instead of the cartoony ones then it would be perfect.

Unfortunately, the area available is quite small and I don't see any way that Polyphony could think that they could make something like that as a 20x20km area.

Back