COURSE MAKER found in recent update game code!

• Thread starter Streeto
  • 374 comments
I decided to mess around with the GT5 course creator earlier on after reading this thread, and the pop-in is very noticeable. Perhaps installing it on my hard drive would reduce that issue, but yeah, I'd say your explanation for all the rolling hills is pretty close.

I seem to recall Kaz doing a spotlight interview for ModNation Racers saying that he was a fan of the game and was able to make 'Gran Turismo style courses with ease'; let's just hope he decided to use that as a baseline for the new course creator. :P

Sounds like a promising find.
It should come,PD wouldn't advertise such a feature(s) if it were not possible.
Except it's happened before. Community features were initially expected to be on GT5. It's a much different case with the Course Maker and a hell of a bigger task to install into the game without it having too many faults or lackluster controls. The way the new Course Maker was made to sound is just tad bit on the revolutionary side. Yes, there are mods to create realistic circuits on a PC, but... I just can't take it. I want it NOW! Picture me being that spoiled brat in Willy Wonka who wanted the golden egg. Dumb kid. hahaha

It should come,PD wouldn't advertise such a feature(s) if it were not possible.

You'd think so, but they thought at one point that they would either have it in the release version or very shortly afterwards. Here we are 15 months later.

I think they thought it was possible, but with so much time having passed I think it's reasonable to question whether it actually is or not. It seems to be pretty clear that at least their initial vision of it isn't possible, or we'd have it already.

What they're doing now is likely a combination of trying to optimise it and cut parts to make it work in a manner that they deem an acceptable compromise of performance and features.

If you think of it as trying to build a car (the course maker) for a fixed budget (hardware constraints) then it sort of makes sense. They had this amazing design that they thought they could do within budget, but it turns out that even after working really hard it just can't be done. So now they're trying to make as many parts as cheap as possible where they think it won't matter much to the driver, and outright cutting parts that just cost too much for how useful they are.

You can't build a Veyron for $50,000, no matter how hard you try. But you can build a very powerful car that handles very well and is beautiful and comfortable, as long as you're willing to make a few sacrifices. You can get a lovely BMW or Mercedes for $50k, for example.

I have the feeling it will be a very abreiviated version of what was advertised,kind of like how B spec turned out. So they can't be considered total liars and false advertising. But the question is:what comes after the course maker? Abandonment? Then we will see what there is to hope for? GT7. lol.

Hoping to make something like this.
Complex string 2.jpg

Hope this means is coming soon. Only thing that would make me re download GT6 again and go though all that hell again :indiff:

download 2h.45 minutes
First installed 90 minutes
download all updates(hopefully error free) :crazy: 2 hours
Second installed 3 hours

see hell in a nut shell :nervous: But if gt6s course-maker turns out great and only great i may just bite again :dopey:

Hope this means is coming soon. Only thing that would make me re download GT6 again and go though all that hell again :indiff:

download 2h.45 minutes
First installed 90 minutes
download all updates(hopefully error free) :crazy: 2 hours
Second installed 3 hours

see hell in a nut shell :nervous: But if gt6s course-maker turns out great and only great i may just bite again :dopey:

Swap in a bigger capacity HDD so you don't have to delete game data and go through all this! :D

(Well... I guess it's too late for that...)

If PD added the ability to drop in some track side objects and features such as buildings, tunnels, even foliage etc., you'd have the ability to made a great deal of track types like city courses, half-decent real world replicas and some brilliant original creations as well.

This is what I was imagining, kind of like Sim City where we'd just plop objects next to our tracks. I kind of doubt there will be anything like that in GT6, but I hold out hope that it will be possible in GT7. I'm mostly wondering what kind of environment my tracks would be in if the GPS app ever comes out. If I recreate the Long Beach Grand Prix course, will I be able to put a reasonable facsimile of Long Beach around it?

I also wonder about all the objects that are already modeled and in the game. That would be a heck of a library to decorate our tracks with. Dozens of pits and grandstands, hundreds of billboards, ads and barriers. Then you got all the buildings in SSRs 5 and 7, plenty of houses and buildings at Mt. Panorama, Monaco, Nurburgring and don't get me started on Rome. There's a lot there.

This post brought to you by Hype Railways. Book your seat NOW!

This is what I was imagining, kind of like Sim City where we'd just plop objects next to our tracks. I kind of doubt there will be anything like that in GT6, but I hold out hope that it will be possible in GT7. I'm mostly wondering what kind of environment my tracks would be in if the GPS app ever comes out. If I recreate the Long Beach Grand Prix course, will I be able to put a reasonable facsimile of Long Beach around it?

I also wonder about all the objects that are already modeled and in the game. That would be a heck of a library to decorate our tracks with. Dozens of pits and grandstands, hundreds of billboards, ads and barriers. Then you got all the buildings in SSRs 5 and 7, plenty of houses and buildings at Mt. Panorama, Monaco, Nurburgring and don't get me started on Rome. There's a lot there.

This post brought to you by Hype Railways. Book your seat NOW!
And plastic garden chairs from Midfield Raceway, might I add. :sly:

I expect "off the chalkboard" quality - like the rest of the game.

Just look at the game and expect the course maker to maintain that level of "quality".

Which I'm not saying is not fun but PD is simply all into GT7 while GT6 all this time received minimal workforce resulting in "B-spec for the poor" (which again - I find quite fun) being added to the game 15 months after release or global matchmaking in QM instead of regional. (more work)

So yeah - nothing is delayed here folks. This is the schedule.

Promise quick, post launch crucial updates for GT6 and allocate the smallest possible team after the launch. Deliver when in barely ready state.

I want to be wrong.

Promise quick, post launch crucial updates for GT6 and allocate the smallest possible team after the launch. Deliver when in barely ready state.

I want to be wrong.

I hope we never find out that you're right, because no one in their right mind would ever buy from such a company again.

Things going wrong post-release is understandable, if not desirable. Poor planning is less acceptable, but sometimes people are just bad at their jobs. Actively planning to abuse the consumer is never OK.

I hope Polyphony is smart enough to hold onto GT7 for long enough to cast reasonable doubt as to which state of affairs correctly describes GT6 post-release support.

Unless it's special, I'd honestly rather have some missing tracks. (Infineon, El Cap, Seattle, etc.) In GT5's course creator, the only thing I liked was @Welshfury's Wings of the (Red) Dragon track. Epic! :lol:

Unless it's special, I'd honestly rather have some missing tracks. (Infineon, El Cap, Seattle, etc.) In GT5's course creator, the only thing I liked was @Welshfury's Wings of the (Red) Dragon track. Epic! :lol:

Yea, that was a pretty epic track and one that a lot of people had on their shared tracks list. I'd have to say about 90% of my friends had that track, including me.

Kind of ironic that the most shared course maker track in a driving simulator is the most arcade track of all.

A little off topic but this next update should be update 2.0. It would make sense for PD to do this so that way they can just focus on gt7 instead of bouncing back and forth between gt6 and gt7. Think about, they can come out with a huge update for gt6 in March (aka update 2.0). Not just add the course maker but add a whole bunch of stuff. GT6 has so much room for improvement. I'm not about to list a bunch of things but stuff like course maker, shuffle racing, maybe a very simple livery editor (like maybe you can add stripes maybe some stuff to your car), endurance racing and etc. Then after that huge update they can be done with major updates. The only time we get updates is for the VGT cars and maybe some bug fixes and that's it. That way stuff like that will keep the players interested in gt6 until gt7 comes out. Because in my opinion I don't think gt7 is going to be out until 2016. Maybe the end of 2016:nervous: But that's just my thoughts. And hopefully course maker ends up being great.

I expect "off the chalkboard" quality - like the rest of the game.

Just look at the game and expect the course maker to maintain that level of "quality".

Which I'm not saying is not fun but PD is simply all into GT7 while GT6 all this time received minimal workforce resulting in "B-spec for the poor" (which again - I find quite fun) being added to the game 15 months after release or global matchmaking in QM instead of regional. (more work)

I want to be wrong.
I for one don't mind the lengthy time between feature releases. Keeps the game somewhat fresh for a long period of time. If they had given us everything within 6 months after the release, then people would get tired of GT6 quickly and then everyone would start complaining about how long it's taking for GT7 to come out. For now it at least keeps a majority of people's minds off it.

Add to that the constant bug fixes, tweaks of the physics, etc and you have a game that's been given way more attention to it than 99% of the other games out there over their life span. Unlike most that dump the release on us and then don't do anything with it until the next version.

I'm going by PD's original "tens of square kilometres" comment. So, not 20 x 20 km, but √20 x √20 km; 4.5 x 4.5 km; 3 x 3 miles.

The course creator was intended to be in two parts, the generator and the "pick your own" thingy - i.e. Ronda.

Ronda requires a fundamentally different kind of rendering solution for determining what is visible and what is not.

Sierra uses a fundamentally different rendering system to manage "pop-in" from that which GT5's coursemaker used.

The GPS output will feed the generator. This means the generated ribbon could in theory be fully customisable; even if PD lock the format and apps down, it could still be possible to manipulate the files, potentially.

Scenery is anyone's guess, Sierra holds clues.

Back