Course Maker: how big is it and when can we expect it?

• Thread starter kogunenjou
  • 519 comments
I'm not sure what you mean when you say that it worked really well.

I was intending slight sarcasm as it was "functional", but the main point was EA's Lotus II had already used a slider system in a game on a 16 bit console and frankly GT5 wasn't really any different. Sorry if people misunderstood.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that it worked really well. You would just change values and the game would generate a corner, a straight or a bank.

By Course Maker, we want the tools to re-create any track we would like, more or less.

For example:
- Able to create a straight that is 50, 100, 150 or "custom" meters in length.
- Able to create a chicane.
- Able to create a corner to the left or to the right, not have the game decide.

There are many corners on tracks worldwide that we can't have because of "licensing". So, we want to create and combine those to make a really good track, that way we ease off PD's back asking for DLC. I would.
I agree with you, but, isn't the course maker in GT6 going to be some real location where we only choose a layout? They said something about the size being 20X20 or 10X10.

The initial press videos and interview clips used to increase sales sure suggested something like those capabilities.

I still really want a quality course maker but I am no longer certain anything recognizable to those early promises will ever arrive in GT6.

ONE SECTION of the course maker is based in Ronda. In the Kaz documentary, they mention that there is some pretty heavy modeling going on in Rome, as well, so.....

We don't know what we will be getting, but it's looking VERY interesting!

I agree with you, but, isn't the course maker in GT6 going to be some real location where we only choose a layout? They said something about the size being 20X20 or 10X10.

It was originally said to include a 100x100km area. location would affect window dressings (trees, buildings, etc.) and possibly the overall topographical data set, to which one's layouts (computer generated or GPS) would be overlaid.

The area was downsized. Why was implied or said but based on PD's performance in GT6, I have a feeling it has more to do with "microtransactions" and greed on the part of Sony execs than practicality.

Last edited:
There's always an excuse for why PD fails to deliver when you read the Sony forum too much. Some technical arguments have technical merit, and it *may be the case in this case, but personally, when it comes to how Sony/PD has handled GT6, I smell a rat and suspect they parred it down to encourage microtransactions at a later date and provide the marketing department "room to grow" (ie, more partially hollow advertising) for their next version..

ONE SECTION of the course maker is based in Ronda. In the Kaz documentary, they mention that there is some pretty heavy modeling going on in Rome, as well, so.....

I remember that, but I think they were only talking about their "let's model everything" philosophy (that's why they can do many panoramic views in replays, like in Willow Springs or Mount Panorama for example), i don't think Rome had anything to do with the editor.
If i can remember correctly (but I could be very wrong) they were talking about setting the Course Maker in Willow Springs and Ronda and maaaaaybe Zahara de la Sierra.

This lack of info is getting frustrating.

Last edited:
iStock_000006931318XSmall-pulling-hair-out.jpg

NEED ANSWERS NOW!! lol

I read that the CM was going to be 100x100. Then was downsized to 50x50 due to the game being released so soon and because it was an overkill. Then 20x20 because of hardware limitations. Finally, read that it would be 10x10 but we shouldn't worry because it would still be bigger than Nurburgring's full course. We/I want quality.

And I don't think creating a track with 3 simple options such as length of the straight, making a chicane and selecting the corner to be right/left hand turn is detailed.

But if it consist in only choosing a specific lay out (locked feature) then I don't care how superb the community online update will be and all the DLC that was to be released monthly. I didn't pay $63 to have better physics only.

"Next few weeks" by most people's understanding is three weeks. Three weeks from the initial post will lapse tomorrow with no sign of Kaz. I'm not surprised at all.
Well honestly it's to be expected that he is running behind, I mean just look when the last few updates came out.

A few can range from 2 to 9... is there a summer holiday in Japan?

If so, that possible delay was probably discussed with Jordan when he set this up. I am not doubting @Jordan at all on the announcement (and agreement by Kaz/Pd) to answer or address questions.

Personally, I believe much of the angst that I have read or written comes from the perspective of Kaz/Pd not communicating or following through on what they promised, whether the promise is to Jordan or consumers.

Honestly i don't think it would work very well if it is 9x bigger than the Green Hell, judging by how mount panorama will freeze a lobby, cut out mics and freeze the game completely. and before anyone says the nordschleife is bigger, the version in the game looks just like the one copied from GT4. The game/servers/ps3 just can't take the data overload.

I think Mount Panorama is made to a different standard. I believe it was designed with a different visibility culling method in mind.

Historically in GT, tracks in the game have a system where your position on the track determines what geometry is actually rendered - it looks up your current "sector" and renders the associated "visible set". That's why reverse variants of tracks don't have the pop in you get when driving the "forward" versions in reverse, because each track has its own unique visibility data, biased to what's in front rather than behind.

For the course maker, and especially Ronda, PD will need to have a new dynamic way of culling geometry from the scene, that is not dependent on your location, but instead on what is actually in the scene in front of you - accounting for occlusion and distance dynamically.

GT5 had terrible pop in with generated tracks, presumably because of the difficulty of automatically defining visibility and controlling extreme cases of polygon overload - so they were over-cautious with the culling, which was a simple distance-based system, to avoid problems.

An automatic culling system is a little more involved to create, but many games have it already; it's unusual for a circuit racer, more usual for open world games.

A few can range from 2 to 9... is there a summer holiday in Japan?

One > A couple > A few (3-4) > Several (4-5).

I wish we could have a V-Rally 2 style track editor. You could make circuits or have a point to point stage, a decent track length, finely adjust the size and sharpness of every turn, make each straight as short or long as you wanted, full control of elevation and so on, you could adjust everything to your heart's desire. You would choose an environment and the game would randomly generate the surroundings. This was done on the PS1 in 1999, why is it so difficult and taking so long on the PS3 in 2014?

Please do not say it is a memory issue when the PS1 had: 2MB of main memory; 1MB of VRAM and 512k of audio memory.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back