Course Maker: how big is it and when can we expect it?

• Thread starter kogunenjou
  • 519 comments
I think Mount Panorama is made to a different standard. I believe it was designed with a different visibility culling method in mind.

It wouldn't be something silly like the hidden blue tyres trophy? Not saying it definitely is, but stranger things have happened...

It wouldn't be something silly like the hidden blue tyres trophy? Not saying it definitely is, but stranger things have happened...
I doubt it, haha! :)

I meant more that the way visibility might be defined on the tracks involves a certain assumed density of polygons in that track. If the new method allows for a higher density because it is more efficient at culling (which is a reasonable expectation), then the track can be designed with a higher density in the first place.

That higher density, though, when used with the old method would feasibly result in poor performance, due to having too many polys on screen. Since polygons are processed on the SPUs first ("vertex setup"), any overrun affects several systems that also rely on the SPUs (sound in particular...), and in a way that is not pretty, since it's all manually scheduled. That would, of course, imply that Mount Panorama is more highly detailed than the other tracks, which I'm not sure about, personally. Another explanation might be that the circuit is quite open, and the normal sector-based visibility method thrives on "tunnels".

Assumedly, the new method was meant to be in the game at launch, along with all the other features, and it might explain why we've not had any other new tracks yet, or the course creator, or even just the whole of Ronda opened up without the pretence of picking your own route through it all. The delay itself might be a case of load balancing with other systems, or nasty bugs, neither of which are really things you can effectively plan for in software engineering, as odd as it sounds.

Replays are another sore spot with me. It shouldn't be that hard to provide GT2 and 3 style camera angles for these replays. And on the tracks in the game too!

I'll have to say that, even though I'm digging the number of votes this thread is getting, I'm hoping that you guys will spread some love to some other worthwhile threads, because some worthy questions need your support.

Replays are another sore spot with me. It shouldn't be that hard to provide GT2 and 3 style camera angles for these replays. And on the tracks in the game too!

I'll have to say that, even though I'm digging the number of votes this thread is getting, I'm hoping that you guys will spread some love to some other worthwhile threads, because some worthy questions need your support.

brokenrecord.jpg

...I'll have to say that, even though I'm digging the number of votes this thread is getting, I'm hoping that you guys will spread some love to some other worthwhile threads, because some worthy questions need your support.

Clearly, the glaring lack of course maker after 6/12 months since release is is one of the sorest spots in GT6 (I think the only other that exceeds it in votes is for sound).

Oh... sorry for speaking out of turn, mom. I forgot that I'm supposed to be complaining about the game or sitting in the corner or something. :P

It was a tongue in cheek jab, It's just getting a little tiresome to see you peddling the same message in every thread. We know you want people to vote for other things, you've said it often enough.

We know you want people to vote for other things
Speaking of votes, there is this little thread dealing with difficulty that has all of five votes for it. I recall that this was a pet request of yours and a small posse a couple of years or so ago, in fact, you won me over to your side. That thread sure could use some attention...

Speaking of votes, there is this little thread dealing with difficulty that has all of five votes for it. I recall that this was a pet request of yours and a small posse a couple of years or so ago, in fact, you won me over to your side. That thread sure could use some attention...
The AI/levels of difficulty and indeed the entire offline mode was dealt with comprehensively already here. Most of the questions since then in this regard are more micro focused and I'd guess people want the issue addressed as a whole, not in small measures.

I totally fail to understand why on earth anyone would even think of wanting a course creator? What a waste of a question. If it arrives, what a waste of PD's time, and what a waste of HDD!

(Edit: I have to admit that i was extremely drunk when I posted this, no offence)

Last edited:
@watchclockgit
unless you were being facetious, GTFO! it's only the most wanted feature, and is still advertised on various sites as being included in the game (like it was in GT5), go back to your cave, troll...

@watchclockgit
unless you were being facetious, GTFO! it's only the most wanted feature, and is still advertised on various sites as being included in the game (like it was in GT5), go back to your cave, troll...
I know it's the most wanted feature. I just have no idea why. I'm really not being fecetious, and I'm not trying to wind people up, I just don't get the appeal.

Do you have a favorite section of road around your place that you like to thrash? If you don't, then I can understand, but if you do, wouldn't you like to run it in a high-end race car? (legally? ;) )

Do you have a favorite section of road around your place that you like to thrash? If you don't, then I can understand, but if you do, wouldn't you like to run it in a high-end race car? (legally? ;) )

Now you mention it, my brother and I had a little cycling 'circuit' around our neighborhood which we would race on for hours at a time when we were kids. I would quite enjoy racing him now on that track in 97T for 2 hours.

See? There's enough of a reason to have it! Now imagine being able to get a bunch of friends together to run on it with you! ;) :)

Now, I wonder.... How many people, if point-to-point is allowed, will build a 1345 foot long straight-away.... ;)

The course creator kind of sucked in GT5 but I'm holding out hope that when they finally release the GT6 one it will have less limitations. Plus without it we wont have point to point rally events. My little red bug needs more road.

Quite honestly, I want GT to take their time to make us feel like full-fledged track architects with this content in GT6 (By this I mean be specific in how the fans want their tracks to look like).

Suggestion

-We should be able to set items in the environment like trees, pits, seating, gravel traps, and other race items. We should also edit certain sections in detail (ourselves) and not have it automated by the game (like in GT5, section complexity).

You know, based on the lack of response to my joke, I would say that not many people want a 1/4 mile drag strip! Sheesh!

You know, based on the lack of response to my joke, I would say that not many people want a 1/4 mile drag strip! Sheesh!

I'd def want a nice big drag strip!! When GT5 was getting the Top Gear track I was sooo excited because I was sure we'd have the whole runway to play on. Then my massive disappointment when I realized the whole track was encased in an invisible barrier. :grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:

I hate thinking about the possibilities on this phantom course creator. The things we can come up with could be amazing. I know the course generator for GT5 was pretty limited and in the end the tracks were really just variations on similar layouts, but at least it was something. Heck I'd gladly take the GT5 track generator at this point. Just something to play with when I get bored in the game. (That's not a knock on GT6, sometimes I just get tired of running laps on the same track over and over. The only track I've yet to tire of is the 'Ring :D .. I mean THE ring not the new red bull ring.. you know :odd: too many rings in the game now!)

it's cos your math is off lol!
1mile=1760yards, therefore 1/4 mile= 1760/4 = 440 yards = 1320 feet (and not 1345)

Once the sound update question is fully answered by the blog, I bet this'll be the next one to be answered. Hopefully.

I doubt it, haha! :)

I meant more that the way visibility might be defined on the tracks involves a certain assumed density of polygons in that track. If the new method allows for a higher density because it is more efficient at culling (which is a reasonable expectation), then the track can be designed with a higher density in the first place.

That higher density, though, when used with the old method would feasibly result in poor performance, due to having too many polys on screen. Since polygons are processed on the SPUs first ("vertex setup"), any overrun affects several systems that also rely on the SPUs (sound in particular...), and in a way that is not pretty, since it's all manually scheduled. That would, of course, imply that Mount Panorama is more highly detailed than the other tracks, which I'm not sure about, personally. Another explanation might be that the circuit is quite open, and the normal sector-based visibility method thrives on "tunnels".

Assumedly, the new method was meant to be in the game at launch, along with all the other features, and it might explain why we've not had any other new tracks yet, or the course creator, or even just the whole of Ronda opened up without the pretence of picking your own route through it all. The delay itself might be a case of load balancing with other systems, or nasty bugs, neither of which are really things you can effectively plan for in software engineering, as odd as it sounds.
I'm no game programming expert but what you are explaining also must explain why when racing the redbull ring only a certain amount of players can race and the rest get disconnected?

Once the sound update question is fully answered by the blog, I bet this'll be the next one to be answered. Hopefully.

This 'question' is probably one of the easiest for PD to answer yet I've got a very bad feeling they might just ignore this one. If they can't say it's coming, even a vague "it will be released some time this year" then I'd put my money on them having scraped it entirely. :(

Dang it, I was REALLY looking forward to the next version of this track generator.. to not even get the same thing we got in GT5 just stinks. :irked:

Latest Posts

Back