Crash's Photos

• Thread starter Crash
  • 451 comments
You've got a good eye for a picture, @Crash, but I don't feel you're quite getting to show what you're thinking in your photographs, if that makes sense? Spend slightly longer thinking about the composition of the 2D image compared to the thing you see in your head.

That's my two penn'orth at least, but you take very good photographs already ;)

You've got a good eye for a picture, @Crash, but I don't feel you're quite getting to show what you're thinking in your photographs, if that makes sense?

I believe you're speaking of previsualization, which was core to Ansel Adams' philosophy. A big part of it that is often forgot is post-processing, which in Adams time was all dark room magic and now is Photoshop/Lightroom magic. @Crash, like 1081, I feel something isn't quite matching up with how you see a scene, and I'm wondering about your post.

I believe you're speaking of previsualization, which was core to Ansel Adams' philosophy. A big part of it that is often forgot is post-processing, which in Adams time was all dark room magic and now is Photoshop/Lightroom magic. @Crash, like 1081, I feel something isn't quite matching up with how you see a scene, and I'm wondering about your post.

Exactly what I was erm, y'know... trying to say. :D

I'm not knowledgeable about photography as a technique but I enjoy photographic exhibitions enormously and Ansel Adams is a genuine favourite, good to see him mentioned and that I share a miniscule sliver of thinking with him :)

Oops, I should respond, ask questions and learn...

--

Thanks for the feedback, @TenEightyOne and @Azuremen. I think you two hit the nail on the head. I see something in my head, try to capture it with a picture, and more often than not, it doesn't come out quite like how I wanted it to. I read the Wiki article that Azuremen linked. As it pertains to still photography, would much of it be spending more time setting up for the shot, and dialing in the settings and composition just so? Or are you referring to my need to "remember" how I saw it and post-process to reflect what I saw? If it's the former, how should one go about shooting spur of the moment, candid shots or other shots that require that the photo be taken quickly?

For the pictures, I do look at them in Lightroom and try to do some post processing to make what I saw in my head show in the picture. With that said, obviously I'm failing.

With that said, @TenEightyOne and @Azuremen (and any others), how can I improve the photos? Given a picture, what should have been done to make it better? Also, what are the issues of my photos? Do you see patterns in what's wrong over multiple pictures? Are things not being framed well? Is the contrast too low? Are colors off? IsOr is it a more fundamental issue that those photos just aren't really anything interesting (lacking substance and subject)?

Seriously, any and all feedback and help is genuinely appreciated.

--

Err, in the meantime, I guess two final ones of Hungary.

^Thanks!

So the following (as well as the previous five) pictures were taken with a Nikon D200 and lens that Casey was kind enough to let me borrow.

--

@terminator363

It really is so sad. That place obviously has a lot of history to it, for better or for worse. The Germans don't want to spend any money to really maintain it as it's a really painful and awful part of their history, but they don't want to just tear it down as it is part of their history. They've tried to repurpose this for other uses, but those didn't last long, and now they are merely doing the minimum upkeep possible and letting this fall into disrepair and crumble.

I really like both those shots and think they should be printed and kept around for viewing or hung on the wall. 👍

Thanks! I think they turned out pretty good, but I can't help but see that the edges are really soft, and these are artifacts that I've never seen before on my point-and-shoot Canon.

--

I think I need to start learning and playing with color.

Logsdon by chng8

Back