Crash's Photos

• Thread starter Crash
  • 451 comments
Looks good! Would also like to see a slight crop towards the bottom left corner and a slight rotation as that might also work. But the scene is great! 👍

Looks good! Would also like to see a slight crop towards the bottom left corner and a slight rotation as that might also work. But the scene is great! 👍

Thanks for the input, I can't believe that I forgot about rotating it so the lines are straight. :grumpy:

More like this then?

IMG_1080_BW_C3.jpg

Open For Dinner

Edit 2: uploaded slightly different crop of the picture. I wasn't quite happy with the shadow at the bottom left edge of the picture previously. I'll have to stew on this current version for a little bit.

Last edited:
First picture in this thread from the Canon 7D Mark II. You may have seen this picture before from when I used it in a previous photo comp.

Most of the shots from here on out will probably be from the 7D2.

--

The Quad by chng8

How are you finding the 7D2? I'm strongly considering upgrading to one, but it's a toss up between that and a 5D3 (Or perhaps 4, if it ever comes).

How are you finding the 7D2? I'm strongly considering upgrading to one, but it's a toss up between that and a 5D3 (Or perhaps 4, if it ever comes).

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I'm really liking the 7D2. Here was my first impressions of it after a few uses. On further update, I've definitely gotten used to the weight and carrying it around with me. Exterior wise, I like how it's built. It feels substantial and well constructed; though it's only been rained on and snowed on so far. The camera has a ton of adjustability and options, and the number and breadth of autofocus points are nice. The autofocusing is quick and accurate, and the shutter is quiet, which are nice to have so it's not clacking loudly away while you're shooting in the street of people as discreetly as you can with a big black thing covering half your face pointing towards them.

The battery power consumption is alright. I'm shooting in Raw only, and I spent a day shooting around Arches National Park and other parts of the state, taking ~300 pictures, leaving the camera on the whole day and running autofocus quite a bit, and I still have ~50% of power left in the battery.

The one big feature of the 7D2 is that it's supposed to be able to shoot at 10fps. I've yet to use that feature to its fullest extent though. I also haven't really had much time with the camera in low light conditions yet, so I am going to hold off on commenting on that.

It's a really nice camera to use. It's certainly an upgrade over @casey_2005's old Nikon D200. :P

If you want to see some samples, I'm happy to send you some unedited Raw files so you can get a feeling of what images coming out of that camera look like.

--

Keep an eye out for Canon Rumors. The 5D4 should be coming out some time this year, and there's apparently some rumblings going on about a 6D2 as well. Personally, I would hold off until the 5D4 is out as you've still got a good body to use with the 60D. Don't get me wrong, the 5D3 is still a great camera, but I don't think it makes sense to spend the money that they are for a 5D3 that is starting to age, especially when the 5D4 is expected soon.

I guess it depends on what you want out of the camera too. I think the 5D3 still has slightly better noise at high ISO than the 7D2, and that's partly due to just the nature of the 5D3 being a full frame. The 5D4 should be another step up in image quality.

I played the wait a few more months until the next great technology iteration is out game for a few years, and I finally said screw it and bought the 7D2 as it does everything I need it to, and more.

Thanks for that! Certainly sounds as though the 7D2 is every bit as worthy of consideration as I thought it would be. I'm still happy with my 60D 75% of the time but it's AF system is really beginning to wind me up as it's not as fast or accurate as I'd like it to be, which I think I'd also find with the 5D3 seeing as they are of similar age and the small trial I've had with one.

As you say though I'm going to hold out until the end of the year and see if Canon do make any big releases be it 5D4 or 6D2 as I would quite like a full frame camera with higher fps and better AF than my 60D has. And I'd be set for years to come with either of those bodies that's for sure, or at least until G.A.S. kicks in again :lol:.

Thanks for that! Certainly sounds as though the 7D2 is every bit as worthy of consideration as I thought it would be. I'm still happy with my 60D 75% of the time but it's AF system is really beginning to wind me up as it's not as fast or accurate as I'd like it to be, which I think I'd also find with the 5D3 seeing as they are of similar age and the small trial I've had with one.

Wait, are you comparing the 5D3 to the 60D? If so, I suspect the lenses are to blame as the 5D3 is in a completely different league than the 60D. 7D2 vs 5D3 its mostly gonna be sensor size though.

Wait, are you comparing the 5D3 to the 60D? If so, I suspect the lenses are to blame as the 5D3 is in a completely different league than the 60D. 7D2 vs 5D3 its mostly gonna be sensor size though.
I'm not quite that foolish :lol: It was far better than my 60D but not really as impressive as I thought it could have been, which from the things I've read and watched the 7D2 should give vs the 5D3.

I like the composition 👍. A low angle (as in, from your haunches) would have added another...angle :P.

I like the composition 👍. A low angle (as in, from your haunches) would have added another...angle :P.

Thanks! I was walking on the other side of the arches, and just did a quick pop in-and-out and snapped this. In this, I was going more for the geometric-ness and lines that the hallway made, then you have the two human-shaped blobs, though I'm trying to imagine what the same scene would look like from my haunches.

Back