Creating thumbnails for all cars

Did anyone have any succes on using this new function yet?

I have started it about 5(!) hours ago and the progress bar still doesn't show anything.

Is anyone experiencing this same issue?

Yep, and it took its time too! I went and watched some TV washed the dishes and then it finished. Can't remember how long, it wasn't 5 hours though! and no way to cancel.

What are thumbnails?

Nail(thumb).jpg

The small image next to each car in your garage. Note that in order to generate an image, it has to load the car model and render a small image, so if you have 1000 cars, it could take a while. ;)

I don't get this. All the cars in the garage have a thumbnail already. They thumbnail is created when the car is bought, and updated automatically when the car is repainted, wheels are changed or bodykits are added. So why do we want to do it manually?

Seems like I've missed the point. Can someone explain please?

I don't get this. All the cars in the garage have a thumbnail already. They thumbnail is created when the car is bought, and updated automatically when the car is repainted, wheels are changed or bodykits are added. So why do we want to do it manually?

This is what I was wondering also. :)

If you format your PS3 HDD, reinstall the game and its patches (and then the upcoming DLCs after the patches), and then you copy a backup of your save back to your system, the first time you load the game, all thumbnails will be either missing or wrong. Wrong can be anything, since a wrong color or missing bodykits/wheels on cars, or even wrong car entirely (text reading Renault Megane, and thumbnail is a Peugeot 207).

If you delete your save game file, and, before copying a backup of this save back to your system, you decide to load the game, it will create a "new save", right ? Then, once you finish whatever you wanted with a "new save" (testing something, or whatever), you quit the game, you delete your "new save" and then you paste your backup save back there, and the thumbnails will be all missing or wrong again, just as if you had formatted the system. If you delete your save (say, after sending racing gears to a friend, or tickets, or whatever) and copy the backup prior to getting back into the game (without creating a "new save" that is), the thumbnails seem to be fine then (although I'm not entirely sure of this. Sometimes I get the impression that by recreating a thumbnail after pasting a backup save back to the saved game data folder, the thumbnail's reflection is slightly improved, or the color, even though accurate, its hue is set back to its precise standards. Again, not entirely sure of these though).

Maybe there are other reasons for the thumbnails' glitch occurrences, but as far as I've noticed, these two (formatting, or loading the game after having deleted your save file without replacing it immediately with your backup save) always trigger this bug. Even though it is a long process, I'm glad they added the "create thumbnails for all cars" feature, 'cause doing it "manually", one by one was not fun at all.

Last edited:
If you format your PS3 HDD, reinstall the game and its patches (and then the upcoming DLCs after the patches), and then you copy a backup of your save back to your system, the first time you load the game, all thumbnails will be either missing or wrong. Wrong can be anything, since a wrong color or missing bodykits/wheels on cars, or even wrong car entirely (text reading Renault Megane, and thumbnail is a Peugeot 207).

If you delete your save game file, and, before copying a backup of this save back to your system, you decide to load the game, it will create a "new save", right ? Then, once you finish whatever you wanted with a "new save" (testing something, or whatever), you quit the game, you delete your "new save" and then you paste your backup save back there, and the thumbnails will be all missing or wrong again, just as if you had formatted the system. If you delete your save (say, after sending racing gears to a friend, or tickets, or whatever) and copy the backup prior to getting back into the game (without creating a "new save" that is), the thumbnails seem to be fine then (although I'm not entirely sure of this. Sometimes I get the impression that by recreating a thumbnail after pasting a backup save back to the saved game data folder, the thumbnail's reflection is slightly improved, or the color, even though accurate, its hue is set back to its precise standards. Again, not entirely sure of these though).

Maybe there are other reasons for the thumbnails' glitch occurrences, but as far as I've noticed, these two (formatting, or loading the game after having deleted your save file without replacing it immediately with your backup save) always trigger this bug. Even though it is a long process, I'm glad they added the "create thumbnails for all cars" feature, 'cause doing it "manually", one by one was not fun at all.

I have a question on this matter here please:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6097719#post6097719

Hi! I don't think your issue is related to "create thumbnail(s)" feature, 'cause it doesn't increase my file size, as far as I've noticed, when I use it, and I only use it when I format my system or when the thumbnails bug is triggered by something else, like what I said on my post or other triggers that I don't really understand or know of yet. But I've formatted my PS3 a lot since GT5's release, and I don't think it's related to this feature.

The best I can do without any real information from your system or how you use the game, is to take a guess. My guess would be that, if you browse museum cards a lot, it has been reported by GTPlanet and other users that simply by viewing the cards, the save file increases exponentially, really really fast. Other than this, I don't really know what else could be. I think it was patch 1.10 that made the save file to increase by almost a full MB, but then 2.0 shrunk it back by the same amount. Since your file is 4.3MBs after 2.0, I guess it's not related to the patches as well. Could be the museum cards if you use it a lot. I don't think it has been corrected. What has been corrected was the "can't load the game if the file is 4MB or larger", not the "browsing MCs increase file size" issue. For this to increase your file, you have to hit "X" button to view the card. If you don't view a full zoomed MC, it should not increase your file's size... (at least I think it doesn't). Good luck.

Back