Cricket: The Official Thread

• Thread starter Casio
  • 297 comments
Is this a mini turn-around. Woke up expecting us to have been beaten during the night but with 5 wickets in hand we may just make it....

Or break the record by about 200 runs to win. Haha

With 3 wickets you had a big chance. But now with 5 I'm not so sure.

Still, regardless of the result, it's been an awesome test match with everything. Bring on Melbourne!

Warne will take his 700th wicket, in his home town, at the 'G on Boxing Day! yay!

Unfortunately I'm working boxing day, so I won't be able to go! (Unless I sneak out early and catch the final session), but I'm hoping to make it to the second day (the only day of the series I'm not working).

So Warnie, if you read this, you're not allowed to get 700 until the 2nd day of the match! A day of cricket, beer, Bay 13, and Warne bowling his 700th infront of a 80,000+ home crowd, what could be better?!

Well it nice whilst it lasted, but in typical english fashion, we win something then turn to crap in that sport. Thank you Fletcher, you fielded a defensive team against Australia of all teams in cricket of all sports, hope you're happy ya great fool >.<!

Just heard on the radio, Shane Warne will be anouncing his retirement from cricket in a couple hours, hes going to retire and become a commentator, after the boxing day test. Glen McGrath will also be retireing soon as well (not sure when) to be with his wife (who has cancer).

Two of the greatest bowlers of all time (the two greatest IMO), one of the best things in cricket for me was to watch these two in a test match working together from either side of the wicket making the greatest batsman look like absolute ameatures. Its going to be sad to see them both leaving :(

I can't believe it's 2009 for the next series :odd:

I really don't see the point in carrying on the series, but that's just my defeatist attitude.

I really don't see the point in carrying on the series, but that's just my defeatist attitude.

The ~400,000 people who brought tickets to the first 4 days of the boxing day test probably wouldn't be happy with that.

I'm going to have to find a ticket now, I can't miss the last chance to see Shane Warne bowl in test cricket.

About 20 minutes ago, Shane Warne took his 700th Test wicket. He clean bowled Andrew Strauss. Great ball.

That would be the first 5-0 whitewash against England in 86 years!
They're already being labeled the worst team to ever tour Australia. Can things possibly get any worse for them?

EDIT: Low and behold, the first Ashes whitewash in 86/7 years!

FormulaGT

I dont understand why Duncan Fletcher is under fire for the way the team performed. It's not like he told them to go and lose 5-0. The team played the way they did because thats how the were on the day..well, days, not becasue Flecther told them to.

If the team isnt experience enough and cant perform well, thats not the coaches fault, blame the selectors. If its not the selectors fault, blame the lack of skill in the England camp:sly:

The Aussies are a brilliant team, though - very difficult to beat. They had a truckload of world-class players - Langer, Hayden, Gilly, Ponting, Warne, McGrath etc, whereas England only really had Pietersen and Flintoff. Maybe Strauss.

I reckon Australia will take the WC (according to my brain; my heart wants the Black Caps to win it), even without Warney, McGrath and Langer. Shows just how good a team they are, so you can't really blame England for getting handed a 5-zip drubbing (heck, the BCs got hammered 262/6 vs 73 all out in the ODI vs Sl a few days ago - SL were bowling brilliantly that day, not that we were batting particulary bad)

Glenn McGrath has only retired from Test level as yet, and he has stated his intentions to continue playing through to the conclusion of the 2007 World Cup.

FormulaGT

I dont understand why Duncan Fletcher is under fire for the way the team performed. It's not like he told them to go and lose 5-0. The team played the way they did because thats how the were on the day..well, days, not becasue Flecther told them to.

If the team isnt experience enough and cant perform well, thats not the coaches fault, blame the selectors. If its not the selectors fault, blame the lack of skill in the England camp:sly:

Fletcher is a selector and that's the problem. Jones and Giles shouldn't have started at Brisbane and Giles and Anderson shouldn't have been within arm lengths of the team sheet due to not playing for 13 and 6 months respectively. Anderson played one game at the end of the County season iirc.

Read might've done better had he started from the beginning, it took a big chunk out of him despite finishing off the Pakistan series then being dropped for poor form in the mickey mouse trophy.

Don't worry, I'm sure England will regain some pride in the ODIs....

Since the Test is over, why not use this thread for other top level cricket discussion as well?

Australia vs. England International Twenty20 6:30 tonight EST. Can't wait... :)

I love Twenty20 matches. I went to a domestic match last year between the Bulls and Tigers. Unfortunately, 10 or so minutes into the second innings, a huge storm forced the cancellation of the game. But it was still worth it to see the game live at the 'Gabba. Great stuff 👍

I recommend it to everyone who can be bothered going down to see a guaranteed awesome, thrilling game of cricket.

Thrilling for Aussies this morning, not so for us 'Pommies'.

Maybe we use this thread as a Tour of Australia and we include the CB Series too.

Not many positives from this morning (last night), Nixon and JD did ok, Monty bowled ok.

Australia made the ground look like a squash court (14 sixes or something ridiculous like that) and we made the ground look like the Atlantic.

Well that was fun.

Another pathetic performance from our bowlers (barring the spinners they did ok) and even worse KP is out for the series with a fractured rib.

Yeh, silly plonker didn't put on a chest guard.

Huge bruise too, he should recover in time for the WC. Should be intriguing to see how we go (or not) without him.

If you guys watched both the 20/20 match in Sydney and the ODI in Melbourne, you might notice how un-co they are in Sydney, 14 sixes and they didnt catch one!

Where as in Melbourne, one six was hit and it was caught, by a guy on his phone, holding it to his right ear with his left hand and still managing to catch the ball!

What a ripper it was, the Sydney crowd need to learn from the Melbourne crowd:sly:

Yeah, I watched the Twenty20 match, it was awesome as! Thrilling stuff, best thing to happen to cricket thus far. As for some respectability on England's behalf, their new keeper did a rather good job 👍

Watched the ODI as well, it was quite good, shame we couldn't get the bonus point. They had 8 wickets in hand, if I was Ponting, I would have gone for that point.

Also, I noticed Vaughn's use of his second powerplay. Tactically, that was a very good decision of when to use it, it really shut the Aussie batsmen up for 5 overs.

What is this powerplay business? I've known it existed but have absolutely no idea what is or who or what it benefits. Just sounds like a crowd pleaser to me.

FormulaGT

Tough luck KP, now everybody's saying the Black Caps are dead certs for the final :D

As for the Aust v NZ ODI, that sucked. Bad. The only good points were Bond's hat-trick (but what's the point doing it in the 50th over...?) and Taylor's 84.

289/8? Flippin' heck, especially when you're bowled out for 184 :grumpy: (Taylor hit 84 of that 184, so we were effectively 100/9 :eek: )

What is this powerplay business? I've known it existed but have absolutely no idea what is or who or what it benefits. Just sounds like a crowd pleaser to me.

FormulaGT

Well, it sort of is a bit of a crowd pleaser, it is an attempt to up the ante of the game. The fielding captain is given a quota of 2 powerplays to use at his discretion. Each powerplay lasts for 5 overs, and during a powerplay, only 2 fielders are allowed outside the circle. I think that's the rules. There may be more, but that's the main part of it 👍

Back