Cricket: The Official Thread

• Thread starter Casio
  • 297 comments
Well, it sort of is a bit of a crowd pleaser, it is an attempt to up the ante of the game. The fielding captain is given a quota of 2 powerplays to use at his discretion. Each powerplay lasts for 5 overs, and during a powerplay, only 2 fielders are allowed outside the circle. I think that's the rules. There may be more, but that's the main part of it 👍

Yeah it's pretty much just the old fielding restrictions but the fielding Captain can choose when to use them in 2 5-over blocks.

For the first 10 overs, you are allowed only 2 people outside the fielding circle, and you must have at least 2 catching/attacking fielders, ie, Slips, Short Cover/Point/Leg etc. After those 10 overs, you can then choose when you want to use your 'Power Play', they are exactly the same as the first 10 over restrictions, except you don't need to have the attacking fielders.

The idea of it's introduction was to stop the apparent bore in the middle overs of 20-40, where captains may use these 'Power Plays', except instead, 90% of the captains use it from overs 11-15, and 15-20. The only reason why they don't is if after 10 overs they're 0-100 and they're going to hopefully save it for new batsmen.

-----------------

Yeah, I watched the Twenty20 match, it was awesome as! Thrilling stuff, best thing to happen to cricket thus far.
I personally think it's the opposite, it's just a pointless slog-a-thon. If you're going to have 20/20, why not 10/10? or 1/1? The bowlers have almost no chance, if I was creating a 20/20 side I'd just pack 11 Batsmen into the team, because even batsmen bowling couldn't get carted around much more then the bowlers do.

There is nothing better in cricket then seeing a player batting, struggling in 40C heat (Think Dean Jones in 1986), or a team having to bat the entire all day to just save a draw (Jacques Rudolph's innings in Perth 2005 was one of the best I've ever seen.)

Ok, now I understand. I guess that's a good move becuase those 30 overs in the middle are a little sluggish.

As for the Twenty20 concept: it's ok, but yes, it's too much a batsmens game. For example, I went to the domestic 20/20 final last night and to my surprise, the boundaries were shortened by a good 5-10 metres. Now that is ridiculous. At the moment, it seems purely for TV entertainment value rather than as a challenging variation of the game which it should be.

FormulaGT

You guys don't get it televised? It's in here live all day.

I've always respected the New Zealand cricket side, I think they're very underated, and have much more chance of beating us then England does.

Also, Dan Vetorri is just a superstar, and I think should be regarded much higher then he is.

Vettori, Brad ;)

It's here on Sky, which I don't have :(

We're a good side (of course I'd say that...), but we do have our "whoops" moments (usually Flem getting dismissed LBW for nought *sigh*).

McCullum (when he's not out), Dan and Bond are world-class, no doubt about that :D

edit: Taylor, you kn0b! :grumpy:

edit again: ASTLE! YOU STUPID IDIOT! (in other words, b Collingwood for 45 :grumpy: )

edit yet again: Oh geez, penultimate ball win for the Poms :grumpy:

Fred had a good game and all the bowlers bar Lewis did a good job.

We had fun chasing the target though but Super Fred came through.

Curse you *shakes fist*

And 'ol Bond has a back issue - hope he can still play the rest of the series :(

One ball. ONE! :indiff:

VERY injury-prone. :|

Has been forced out of Black Caps tours mid-season three times already, and if it happens again, he's going to end his career. :(

England have just won the toss for the 4th CB ODI - at least they got to win something.

Weren't bowling too badly either, defending 150 odd. And when did Anderson learn how to bowl?! About 3 months too late son.

Two words. Mike Hussey. Marry Me.

Weren't bowling too badly either, defending 150 odd. And when did Anderson learn how to bowl?! About 3 months too late son.

Two words. Mike Hussey. Marry Me.

Jimmy wasn't fit and lacked Match practice it was more the selectors fault than his. He had just come out of a 6 month injury lay off due to breaking a vertebrate in his spine, pretty bad injury for a fast bowler. He had played 1 FC game between that injury recovery and coming on tour.

Uh oh... it's our turn for a right hammering now... :scared:

Well, I just got back from work and caught McMillians (sp) six over backward point. Awesome shot 👍

5 overs to go and score is 205, should be looking at a very defendable total about 220 odd.

Well, I just got back from work and caught McMillians (sp) six over backward point. Awesome shot 👍

5 overs to go and score is 205, should be looking at a very defendable total about 220 odd.

EDIT:

I'll quote myself. Very defendable until you couldn't manage to run us out when we had two batsmen at the same end!

Damn you Hussey! :grumpy:

Heard on the radio that he sixed with eight balls remaining for a two wicket victory :|

Still, funny that 'ol man McMillan was the batting star :D

I yearn for the days when you didn't know who would win before the game even started - I expect Australia will loose one (possibly two) preliminary games but they will win the finals with ease. :yawn:

What we need is a game where both sides play really well.

Well. I had faith in New Zealand today, I think they're a quality side. But where does my faith get me?

4/61

Prediction: New Zealand will be bowled about for about 160-170. But England won't make the target and will fall about 20 runs short. And I'll be happy.

EDIT: Not quite the case. But England still lost. So I'm happy.

EAT YOUR HAT, BUCHANAN! :D

How could we drop Hayden twice. If we didn't drop him, the match would've been a whole lot different...

8 runs! 8! 335/5 v 343/5! :banghead:

Still, Big Jake's 101 n.o: 👍 Baz McCullum not doing something stupid and making 46 n.o: 👍 Louie Vincent's 66: 👍 Our fielding: 👎

Next time, Australia, we'll beat you. :grumpy:

edit: Just saw Oram's sixes on the midday news. Fantastic hitting :drool:

Haw haw ;)

edit: Found this on YouTube. The quality isn't too flash, but what a display of power hitting!

Back