Crispy's CSR Elite Thread: Review Final--Writeup--FAQ

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 214 comments
So I have to wonder why the feature was left in??

Thomas himself mentioned it in a video.

A little odd although they may not have noticed the problem?

I think you missed a post on these forums by Thomas towards me. ;)
As you can read he only just realized that it was maybe a bad idea. Unless he can come up with a belt adjustment kit. So you can measure the belt tension yourself, but with the need to take off the back cover to get to it.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6345553#post6345553

Tonight will be very interesting. I've got a weekly Flyin' Miata race today. Last of the season! I'm currently in 8th place, so I'm hoping to bring that up! Should be an interesting race!

I hope you guys didn't miss my updates all that much. I've been studying for finals so I haven't really had any time to play around all that much this week. Good thing next week and the week after I'll have off! 20 Hours of non-stop play time!

Good luck Crispy! I'll read up about your review again in the morning or whenever I feel like waking up. lol

I'm going to try and tune my RX-7 FC a bit more in GT5 for now. ^_^
Although it's already pretty much perfect. I seriously don't know how I could get it around the Nurburgring faster. :(

Well, we have finished the series. Wrote up a little story too! Sad putting up my cherished car, I've had so much fun in that vehicle, so it's sad to see it go for now.

Wheel performed perfectly! In fact, my foot got tired faster than the wheel did! The wheel never even gained a noticeable temperature, not even after one hour! Incredible engineering went into this machine!

Awesome review so far Crispy. Thanks for the FMSC mention, means a lot, you certainly had your work cut out for you using a brand new wheel in the final race but you did well considering all that.

Sure as hell was more fun though :D.

Thanks! No problem, racing with you guys was incredibly fun! Using a wheel definitely heightens the immersion of an online race. Especially when using a clutch the entire time! :lol: I'm sure my foot will be killing me again once morning comes!

Very nice that your constantly adding to it.. I had not realised that's what you were doing.

Good job dude!!

I suppose they could just engrave measurement markings on the front black metal plate that you could align the adjustment bolts with. and for the people who already have their wheels maybe a thin metal or strong card template with the measurement markings on the that could just fit over and cover the front plate temporarily to make the adjustments.

I think you missed a post on these forums by Thomas towards me. ;)
As you can read he only just realized that it was maybe a bad idea. Unless he can come up with a belt adjustment kit. So you can measure the belt tension yourself, but with the need to take off the back cover to get to it.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6345553#post6345553

This doesnt answer amfs querie unless im missing something. The post by thomes was made a day or so ago.

When i watched the intro csw vid, when he mentioned we could adjust the belts first thing i thought was wow they must have done there homework and made it a foolproof way to adjust these belts, because adjusting belt tension is serious stuff especially with delicate low powered stuff like sim wheels as opposed to real car engine belts where theres alot more tolerence on the usual belts, and if they have made a way for the end user to do it hats off to
them. i was suprised to that i saw no engraved adjustment markings on the front plate.

I agree with amf and am too suprised why this was not picked up on, really it should have been because its not something to be easily missed. the thought rushed out comes to mind, and im not having a go a fanatec. It seems they are really trying to make a great wheel but they are just not checking/QA'ing it enough. of course lots of new company or even long standing companys bring out products that have problems but something like this should not have slipped.

Maybe they dont want to let the customer down which is a nice thought, they want to get the custs their wheels in time but then they are only going to get let down once they have their wheels. they should really take their time on the csw just take as long as it takes to get it right and then and only then start selling it and the customer gets it working straight out the box no firmware updates just have it working correctly out of the box. Updates can come later of course but it needs to be working at a acceptable level out of the box(flappy paddles cough cough)

dont be mad at me thomas i wish you all the best for your company and im really hoping you get csw perfect just please forget about the customer for csw and take your time with it.

So how did you end up in the series and the race Crispy?

@CSR-Elite users and possible CSW users.

I've said it before (not sure if in this forum or not), just because a product has a feature doesn't mean it has to be used. If it works fine just simply resist the urge to tinker. I can't really see Thomas doing a complete redesign, a warning of sorts along with some sort of instruction as to when to adjust (symptoms), and a technical document on how to adjust seems more likely. The actual reasoning behind allowing adjustments is still sound and people that clock 100's of hours on their wheels might end up actually using the feature.

Last edited:
So how did you end up in the series and the race Crispy?

@CSR-Elite users and possible CSW users.

I've said it before (not sure if in this forum or not), just because a product has a feature doesn't mean it has to be used. If it works fine just simply resist the urge to tinker. I can't really see Thomas doing a complete redesign, a warning of sorts along with some sort of instruction as to when to adjust (symptoms), and a technical document on how to adjust seems more likely. The actual reasoning behind allowing adjustments is still sound and people that clock 100's of hours on their wheels might end up actually using the feature.

Exactly.

That stuff is for the truly hardcore. The GT3RS (CAR not the wheel) Has adjustable suspension. Unless you have the knowledge and the tools you shouldn't even be messing with that.

Q:When the CSR-E has ACL on do shifts on the sequential shifter or 6 speed shifter engage the auto clutch?
A:Yes, you can use any shifter compatible with the wheel using Auto Clutch. It can help for knowing the gears of the 6-Speed.

I just read your Q&A over again and noticed this question. I believe that Jonboy made a video stating that the 6 speed does not engage the clutch when ACL is enabled. Could you verify whether the sequential engages the clutch or not?

On a different note I have a PS3 question. When the wheel is connected and in PS3 mode what does pushing the Xbox guide button do?

vdub if its anything like the pwts that i have that is compatible with all three platforms just like the elite then no it wont work as a ps3 button

@ Crispy
A lot of thanks for your absolutely well done review and Q/A section! 👍 How is the feeling of the bumps in the road especially in GT5? More feeling the uneveness in the tarmac could help to control the car by braking etc.

^It mostly depends on the magnitude of the bumps whether or not you'll feel it. Larger bumps will use actual FFB to shake the wheel, while smaller ones will use the vibration motors in the wheel to do the shaking.

If you guys have enjoyed my review so far, it's about to get better. I have finished the scoring process, and I'm now going to do write-ups section, detailing the wheel further, and even going in how it feels on certain games. I just rented F1 2011, and Shift 2 Unleashed so be prepared for a write-up on those two very soon.

Hello Crispy, thank you for the excellent review so far, it and some others here already made me order this wheel, now waiting for it to arrive. :)

One question, is the wheel recognized by GT5 "out of the box", or do I have to switch to PS3 mode every time I start the game?

Regards,

Robert

One question, is the wheel recognized by GT5 "out of the box", or do I have to switch to PS3 mode every time I start the game?

Regards,

Robert

The unit will have to be switched to PS3 mode every time it's powered on if that's what you want to do. I don't believe it has a "remember last" feature.

KashunatoR
thanks for the review. i really hope the same guys that reviewed the csr elite will review the csw so that we'll know better what to chose

I'll be doing the CSW and don't have a CSR Elite for comparison. I'll have to ask you Crispy and other reviewers here to help me a bit to make somewhat of a comparison.

If there are any CSW testers in the Washington, DC area, I'm happy to bring by my CSR-E for comparison... and to check out the CSW firsthand. ;)

I'd love to get the chance to do a comparison of the CSR Elite and CSW. I don't think I'll be chosen as a Beta tester for that though. :lol: Eh, I really don't need to. I've got an awesome CSR Elite here!

Just added a new section for the entire Writeup, which will include questions from the FAQ, as well as stuff included in the Daily Updates, and the scoring section. I also added my thoughts after testing F1 2011 (👍👍) and Shift 2 (👎👎)

So that means i'll have some catching up to do with your review... again. :P

Shift 2 sucks donkeywood huh? Sounds normal. lol

Crispy, thanks again for the additional info. Can you let us know your in-game and in-wheel settings for F1 2011? Don't have a console version but I did pick it up on Steam for the PC a while back and never did get it dialed in very much. Looking forward to trying your settings out.

So far I've only done the ABS, Sensitivity, and Force Feedback settings. Will go into more later. Here's what I got so far. Hope it helps! 👍

Sens-420
FFB-50
ABS-58

@LogiForce-You will have a lot of catching up to do!

Shift 2 was fun on the controller, anything else not really. I'm hoping C.A.R.S doesn't feel the same. I hate magic carpets! :lol:

^What settings are you using for the game? I want to give it a second try, but ISR's settings were no good.

So far I've only done the ABS, Sensitivity, and Force Feedback settings. Will go into more later. Here's what I got so far. Hope it helps! 👍

Sens-420
FFB-50
ABS-58

@LogiForce-You will have a lot of catching up to do!

Shift 2 was fun on the controller, anything else not really. I'm hoping C.A.R.S doesn't feel the same. I hate magic carpets! :lol:

Well, maybe if you play for Aladdin you might get to have fun with Jasmin later on. Or at the very least you can rub the oil lamp to get the genie to give you a wish or three. lol :dopey:

Now... I'm gonna read. Kept being distracted today around the house.

Edit:

Read your review again. Love it, although your point system is a bit weird. The max is 50 but the other reviews go up to 100 (GT3 and GT2)?

I kind of expected what Shift 2 would give you. I personally think Shift one is a bit better. Project C.A.R.S. definitely is better then any Shift though. Else just hit F1 and go in the Dev menu to tweak the settings. Like in this video.

For some reason I also expect the ISR settings to give no result. It didn't for me using the T500 RS. Also the settings they gave for GT5 and the T500 were not satisfying enough for me. *shrugs* It's a personal thing I guess. ;)

Last edited:
Back