Crispy's CSR Elite Thread: Review Final--Writeup--FAQ

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 214 comments
One more question....
The measurements you published are for the standard CSR base, not the CSR-Elite.

Did you get the little mounting adapter plate with it? The one that allows you to use the current CSR/Porsche mounts with the CSR-E? If so, how is it oriented? Does it angle up? Or does it keep the wheel flat?

Ok, cool, I'm actually happy about that, even though I despise the angle up. I built my rig specifically to counteract that angle up and even it out flat. So this means I shouldn't have to do any further fabrication. Thanks!

T500 can have stronger FFB. It may also be game dependent because of Thrustmaster having it's own new effects library and special coding.

The biggest difference thus far I witnessed is F1 2011 and comparing PS3 / T500RS Vs X360 / CSRE. In this test (prior to firmware 715) the T500RS had much Stronger FFB. Further testing is needed with latest firmware and determine if the main issue with this title is down to the X360 version or just how the CSRE performs on X360/PS3 to the T500RS.

T500 can have stronger FFB. It may also be game dependent because of Thrustmaster having it's own new effects library and special coding.

The biggest difference thus far I witnessed is F1 2011 and comparing PS3 / T500RS Vs X360 / CSRE. In this test (prior to firmware 715) the T500RS had much Stronger FFB. Further testing is needed with latest firmware and determine if the main issue with this title is down to the X360 version or just how the CSRE performs on X360/PS3 to the T500RS.

Sounds about right to me, since the T500 RS requires more power for the motors then the Elite does. So it should technically be slightly more powerful. However I reckon that due to the dual motor assembly the Elite should deliver a more precise and direct FFB effect then the T500 RS, thus leveling out that the competition has a bit more power (which is somewhat lost in the slack of the T500 belt and delay of the sensor picking up the wheel position).

Oh, Crispy you answered my last question wrong. I wasn't asking about the firmware but the PC software, if there were any new parameters you could adjust on the PC compared to older wheels. Although the ACL, SPR and DPR effects go without saying after reading and seeing stuff from all of you lucky guys.

One last question I would like to know from all of the testers is actually the following.
Now that you've tested the CSR Elite and compared it to the best wheel you own personally, are you planning on keeping the CSR Elite or will you return it to Fanatec? If you keep it what are for yourself the main reasons for keeping it, or in other words what made the decision for you?

Yeah. I was answering to the best of my abilities since the last time I tested the T500RS was at a Fry's when it came out. I wish I could do some direct comparison. Also that firmware update made a huge difference, you will enjoy it incredibly! Can't wait until your review as well!

However I reckon that due to the dual motor assembly the Elite should deliver a more precise and direct FFB effect then the T500 RS, thus leveling out that the competition has a bit more power.

That's kinda what I've been thinking. The Elite is very precise, it definitely helps mid turn if you start to lose it. It helps having the sensor on the steering axis.

Oh, Crispy you answered my last question wrong.

Whoops! I updated the answer though. No, there are no new additions in the PC Software. Would be pretty cool though.

Now that you've tested the CSR Elite and compared it to the best wheel you own personally, are you planning on keeping the CSR Elite or will you return it to Fanatec? If you keep it what are for yourself the main reasons for keeping it, or in other words what made the decision for you?

Oh I think that one's fairly simple to answer? ;)

Nice! I am looking forward to your review of how your CSRE works with PC racing sims!
:)

Tomorrow I'm going to go ahead and hook my Monitor to my Laptop to test out GTR2. Can't wait until I build my own PC and get on iRacing.

You could append your findings IMO. It being delayed and then confirmed it was for firmware issues (issues still unresolved for CSR customers), is just as bad as a misleading review. I've ordered and have faith in Thomas / Fanatec and their ability to provide good product, I'm just commenting that delaying for faults is not really worse than appending or "correcting" a review.

Thanks for the updates though!

it was delayed because people like me and crispy hadn't received our wheels yet...

Hi crispy. As a regular Forza player do you use simulation steering post patch.

If so what wheel and settings did you use (GT2 CSR etc). If the answer is yes you would know of the linearity issue present that makes the TDC of the wheel over sensitive. This is a software issue as far as I know. I use 20 LIN to dial this out.

I have read however that the Elite does not suffer from this issue when set to LIN 0.

I can't for the life of me work that out. Could you clarify.
For the record I realise FF is a subjective issue, personal to individuals but I know you have put some hours into Forza.

Thanks a lot Mr chicken.

Take a fast car down a long back straight like Suzuka, very quickly turn the wheel left/right. You can really do this very quickly because of the smoothness of the new motors and belts. CSRE has a very natural type resistance and the most enjoyable counter steering feeling of any wheel I have used. Try the same test on the older Porsche wheels, or the CSR and even the T500, you just cant achieve the same speed in turing the wheel left/right.

With T500 compared to how the CSRE feels it hasn't the same ability to move as quickly or as smooth.
For me their still is a mechanical type feel with the T500 that the new Fanatec chassis is free from.

Thrustmaster may of offered high resolution sensor and a brute force design with a very powerful motor. Fanatec however seem to of looked at providing a technically more efficient design with better control in its delivery of FFB and providing a uniquely different feeling wheel to any other. This really is such a more enjoyable/satisfying feeling wheel to use.

I have not found the rumble effects to be all that strong at all guys. Mostly having played GT5 and FM4. However Im using the original firmware shipped with the Beta wheel and commented on this (limited strength) to Thomas within the first week of beta testing so maybe something has been done to improve that with the 715 firmware. Would like to see more testing on the rumble to other wheels from some of you other owners.

Last edited:
Very good questions everyone. I've been enjoying answering them very much. I'll include them in my review one I write it.

Take a fast car down a long back straight like Suzuka, very quickly turn the wheel left/right. You can really do this very quickly because of the smoothness of the new motors and belts. CSRE has a very natural type resistance and the most enjoyable counter steering feeling of any wheel I have used. Try the same test on the older Porsche wheels, or the CSR and even the T500, you just cant achieve the same speed in turing the wheel left/right.

That's what I've noticed. When I was using my GT3 RS, each time I countersteered, I would feel resistance against the wheel. It wasn't FFB resistance either, it was more like belt resistance. (You could hear it too) With this wheel, I actually forget that it's even driven by a belt. There is no resistance, and it feels the steering is being guided by air it's that smooth. I can now drive like I did with a controller. (I drive crazy) I couldn't do that before because it would slow me down. Within an hour I was breaking times I had set with cars using a controller.

I have not found the rumble effects to be all that strong at all guys. Mostly having played GT5 and FM4. However Im using the original firmware shipped with the Beta wheel and commented on this (limited strength) to Thomas within the first week of beta testing so maybe something has been done to improve that with the 715 firmware. Would like to see more testing on the rumble to other wheels from some of you other owners.

It's not all to strong. I think it's slightly stronger, but your not really going to notice while driving.

Got a good treat for you guys today. I'm also going to write the first part of my review, the introduction!

Mr Latte
However Im using the original firmware shipped with the Beta wheel and commented on this (limited strength) to Thomas within the first week of beta testing so maybe something has been done to improve that with the 715 firmware.

Which firmware does yours have Latte?

So when is this going to happen? I have the popcorn and the beer ready :)

I just posted up the Introduction and a little something else. I may have a video up tonight showing the wheel in action, but that's only if Sony Vegas will want to render it.

Alright guys, I just updated the OP with my Day 2 of Daily Impressions. I had a mighty bunch of fun tonight! This wheel is truly out of this world.

Mr Latte
Mine is 704

That was the glitched firmware that caused the high pitched noise and save issues on the CSR. Did anybody send you the new or newer version yet?

Surely Crispy, Amar or Jonboy could email it to you I would think.

As I noted to Crispy via PM....the CSR Es that will soon be in customer hands will not have the 715 firmware installed as his FAQ states......all will be delivered with 707 installed.

Submitted by Thomas on Sat, 12/10/2011 - 14:08.
The wheels will come with 707 so you will need to update to 715 or higher

Last edited:
Crispy
Alright guys, I just updated the OP with my Day 2 of Daily Impressions. I had a mighty bunch of fun tonight! This wheel is truly out of this world.

I can sell my T500 when u get the CSW, Crispy?

I noticed you missed an A: at the 4th question from below. The answer itself is there though. Plus I noticed a sentence at day two was a bit weird. Also "Twas" should have been "It was" I reckon.

Sounds like your having a blast though. Do you still have time to sleep?

A couple testers are on ISR are reporting another new firmware is being distributed for the Elite.....number 717.

No word on any specifics of changes or what improvements the wheel experiences.

^The Center Spring Deadzone is fixed, plus some Center Spring Linearity issues. I'm going to try it out here in just a minute.

I can sell my T500 when u get the CSW, Crispy?

Hehe, that sounds like a good offer. ;)

I noticed you missed an A: at the 4th question from below. The answer itself is there though. Plus I noticed a sentence at day two was a bit weird. Also "Twas" should have been "It was" I reckon.

Ah I see it now, thank you! 👍

Sounds like your having a blast though. Do you still have time to sleep?

It's hard to find time. Every now and then I drink some more coffee. :sly:

Hm, I dont want to update my firmware again. Already up to firmware 715 that will just have to do when I write my review most likely.

to be clear, I plan to wait on the new updater. Wheel is awesome as is. I'll just have to update my review later after I patch using the new updater*

Crispy
Hehe, that sounds like a good offer. ;)

I was half asleep when I wrote that in bed on the iPhone. Of course when I and not u get the CSW. Doh! *facepalm*

Okay so Ive went from 704 - 717 (thanks again mate)

Only briefly had a play about (meant to be working)
Quick few laps in FM4 and immediately I feel more detailed response from the wheel. Accuracy is now increased also, really noticable in tricky 2nd/3rd gear corners and getting that apex. I still have been using Laguna Seca for quick wheel tests. Rumble is improved from what I was getting with 704 and why I was maybe complaining more on that to some others.

Spring (Spr) function is greatly enchanced since the 704 firmware.
The wheel now allows anything from very light to very strong spring resistance in -1 - +3. So the comments in this thread earlier about the PC option seem to be now possible in varied strengths. I would propose at this point if you cant get a feeling/setting in a game you are happy or comfortable with Id be really surprised.

Im glad Ive saved my final testing for review till now, assumming a new firmware around release was coming. Guys check out this new firmware.

Last edited:
Really? I looked all over, maybe I was looking in the wrong places. I checked over the Fanatec support site and only found the CSR stuff, I'll browse through Thomas' Blog now. Thanks!

http://911wheel.de/?q=node/7272

Question. When the CSR-E has ACL on do shifts on the sequential shifter or 6 speed shifter engage the auto clutch?
I imagine not as it's likely code that says when this button is pushed send this string. I doubt the logic has been coded to allow all forms of shifter input to be intercepted and automatically clutched. This would cause timing issues with the H shifter specifically. The sequential shifter has a chance of working IMO.

Last edited:
Question. When the CSR-E has ACL on do shifts on the sequential shifter or 6 speed shifter engage the auto clutch?

I've just made a vid for you illustrating what happens with ACL on 'H' Patter Shifter vs Flappy Paddles.

It's uploading now, ready to view in an hour or so. ;)

I have noticed in some of the videos that the shifter clicking noise is quite loud. Have any of the testers noticed this?

I've just made a vid for you illustrating what happens with ACL on 'H' Patter Shifter vs Flappy Paddles.

It's uploading now, ready to view in an hour or so. ;)

I saw the video, I kinda like the way it works. That way I can go from paddles in a gtr to full manual in a nsx without bothering the wheel settings.

Back