Crispy's CSR Elite Thread: Review Final--Writeup--FAQ

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 214 comments
Wow, that's quite the adjustability there. I wonder if they included FFB Lap Dancing too!

I'm kinda wondering about ISR now. If this is the way they set up their wheels, then couldn't that effect the scores? Everyday I'm losing my trust in them.

Added GT5 to the mix today. Hoping to include three more games by Sunday next week. So far I have F1 2011 up next, and Shift 2 after that. Maybe if I write up good I'll get fun with Jasmin? :lol:

What was that PC game you said I should try LogiForce? I'd like to add a PC game to the mix.

Ferrari Virtual Academy (runs on the netkar engine). 19,95 euros
C.A.R.S. maybe even though its in early development still. 25 euros (for weekly builds)

Here's a video of FVA...
This game has awesome force feedback out of the box!

Last edited:
GJ Crispy! Really enjoyed reading the new sections you've added. Interesting bout the side-to-side movement you noted in GT5. Hm, I need to go play a bit more when time presents to see if I encounter that. One thing I loved bout my t500rs is that it never had that issue with gt5

Anyway I would blame this on PD. Cause there is no sway in iRacing when using the wheel.

Just got FM 4 delivered from UPS today from amazon tho so probably wont have time to test in gt5 tonight :dopey:

Good update Crispy!

@sandboxgod
The side to side motion actually has nothing to do with driving straight. This is some odd code in the logitech / GT5 drivers. You can get this wobble while you're stopped. Come to a complete halt and slightly turn the wheel and you will get the wobble. I was able to get a GT3RS, a G25, my PWTS and a DFGT to do this wobble.

This does not exist in the Thrustmaster drivers, or at least I couldn't get it to do it with the T500RS. I asked Thomas if it would be possible for new wheels to start emulating the Thrustmaster, because clearly this as to do with the Logitech software. I don't think I ever got an answer. Better yet would be for Fanatec to start being supported by GT5. Maybe with the release of the CSW we might be able to see this. <fingers crossed>

We're talking bout the csr-e in this case tho (not logitech wheels) 👍

I've experience the wobble on a dfp back in the day too tho. It's just straight up PD fail was the general consensus since it only happens in GT5.

We're talking bout the csr-e in this case tho (not logitech wheels) 👍

I've experience the wobble on a dfp back in the day too tho. It's just straight up PD fail was the general consensus since it only happens in GT5.

I know. Fanatec (all of them as far as I know) emulate logitech wheels when connecting to PS3. So all the logitech software issues should appear in Fanatec wheel (and do). This is not something that the CSR-E will be immune to until Fanatec changes their emulation or somehow gets drivers in GT5 and whatever other games. I can see the emulation path being more desirable as it will give you a base of games of that wheel you are emulating. So better for game compatibility but can be worse when their software isn't perfect (as we've seen).

I'm not 100% sure whether PD programs the drivers or if logitech did, so I'm not sure who is to blame. I just know it was, and appears to still be there.

I'd say it was PD on this one.

Sadly I really couldn't do anymore playtime with GT5 while Back To Karkland downloaded. For some reason on GT5, and only GT5, my pedals are laggy. Doesn't happen on FM4 so I'm not to sure. Quite odd if you ask me. Plus it's only the Gas and Brake, Clutch works fine.

VWMasteR
@LogiForce
How does the lean feel in the game?

The standard lean is minimal. Not like in the video.
This is how it looks without adjustments in the game files.

Liking your updates mate...

Not been around much recently, anyone want a nasty cold, Im looking to forward mine on to someone, maybe lefty or Spags as paypack :)

I do not think the belt thing is actually a major issue.
This was raised to point out on the forums as no other testers at the time had done so in their reviews and my own will take a while longer before being done. For me it was something that could happen to the "little tinker type people".

Part of the reason was to then highlight that well actually really it is rather simple to open up the wheel and fix the smaller belt back in place. However, this is something I dont recommend doing unless you have to or get permission from Fanatec to do so. I would highlight the fact that people should be aware of dust/dirt getting in and maybe effecting the wheel sensor if opening up the wheel.

The design of the wheel currently if the belts are slackened may require the user to then do this. The good thing is it is not a return to base scanario. I would like to see Fanatec update their website or have some official form of "NOTICE" regards adjusting the belt tension and if opening the case will invalidate their warranty!

This will go in my own report as a concern.

Last edited:
I would highlight the fact that people should be aware of dust/dirt getting in and maybe effecting the wheel sensor if opening up the wheel.

Dust will be blown in by the fan, Latte. So if the electronics are effected by dust, I fear for reliability. But electronics are only effected when there is so much dust that a short circuit is imminent.

I agree that you shouldn't go in there on purpose just to have a closer look. Better safe then sorry, and if it ain't broken then don't fix it... right? ;)

Dust will be blown in by the fan, Latte. So if the electronics are effected by dust, I fear for reliability. But electronics are only effected when there is so much dust that a short circuit is imminent.

I agree that you shouldn't go in there on purpose just to have a closer look. Better safe then sorry, and if it ain't broken then don't fix it... right? ;)

LF, what you are saying is very logical and the dust blown in by the fan is basically small particles. But when you open it and leave finger prints on the sensor that might do the damage. The sensor itself looks quite fragile but easy to replace.

As per not fixing stuff that isn't broken then you are again very logical... but someone has to do the this kind of "reviews" and I'm glad Latte is the one as he usually finds the way to put things back. How would we find out otherwise that it is very hard to put the belt back once it slips of its place? :)

Is the FAQ in original post about CSR-Elite? I just happened to read some of them and under "Q:What are the full dimensions of the wheel?" I read that the base is very small and that wheel only weighs 2,5 kilos. I thought how the hell could mostly aluminium wheel only weigh that less. I think that info on Fanatecs website is wrong, as it is exactly the same as CSR wheel. Does anyone know how much does it actually weigh?

The box it came in felt very similar to the weight of the Clubsport pedals, so I'm guessing around the weight of those.

LF, what you are saying is very logical and the dust blown in by the fan is basically small particles. But when you open it and leave finger prints on the sensor that might do the damage. The sensor itself looks quite fragile but easy to replace.

As per not fixing stuff that isn't broken then you are again very logical... but someone has to do the this kind of "reviews" and I'm glad Latte is the one as he usually finds the way to put things back. How would we find out otherwise that it is very hard to put the belt back once it slips of its place? :)

I have handled all kinds of sensors before. Cleaning the sensor with a cotton swab and pure alcohol fixes the problem in no time. Besides that, the sensor is an IR sensor which gets blocked and unblocked by the 'code wheel' which is just basically saying light=1 dark=0. That's all it is doing and sending to the chip in the wheel which processes it further.
So still, the sensor isn't the biggest deal. I think not bending or breaking that wheel is more of an issue. lol

I never said that reviewers shouldn't open stuff. Latte was talking about normal users who shouldn't poke around in the internals unnecessarily. ;)
Also there are more among us that know how to open stuff, rip everything out and put it back together the way it was. I wouldn't think twice about those things myself for that matter. ;)
Also about the belt slipping and getting it back on. Wasn't it already very logical to you that due to the closed construction it would be impossible to put it back on when it slips off of the gear. ;)

So far I only have the sensitivity at 420, and FFB at 50. Feel free to adjust though, as I only had two things before I got it where I wanted.

I added the F1 2011 writeup to the OP. Next up is Shift 2! I'm going to download the NetKar Pro demo tonight, that'll be my PC writeup! I've heard NetKar has the best Force Feedback around?

Just downloaded NetKar PRO. I'm having some troubles.

First problem is the steering sensitivity is way to high. I can't adjust it either. Each time I configure the wheel it says "steeringlock=180" and when I go into the settings to switch it to 900 it doesn't do anything.

Next off is the FFB. All I'm getting is a really tight Center Spring, nothing else. How do I adjust the FFB settings?

For the steering lock maybe you need to save the settings first or something?
Only have Ferrari Academy still.

No problems here with nkPro (just tested). I am used to this sort of config screen. Very similiar to iRacing. When it asks to turn your wheel 90 deg make sure you get it right. Otherwise you'll have issues!

Man I'd forgotten how incredible the FFB is with this engine. I'll have to compare to the t500rs

edit: Hm, I didnt try doing a 900 deg turn or anything. I'll go try

edit2: ok ya you're right, it's locked. Guess it's like gt5. You are limited to the sim car's lock (like a t500rs). Not too familiar with this sim but it feels intentional. nkPro ius known not to mess around when it comes to realism

Last edited:
So I need to turn it exactly 90 degrees? I'll try that later tonight. Also, about changing the center spring tension in the driver menu, how do I do this? I want to familiarize myself with this stuff for when I get an iRacing account.

nah I think I'm off too from 90 deg. I think you're setup fine. Much easier to setup a wheel in iRacing.... But I think I'm still on nkpro 1.3 need to unstinall and reinstall

Merry christmas! I gotta do some stuff with the family might not get to play much nkpro til later tomorrow

Last edited:
Merry Christmas to you too! Thanks for the help! Good news that it's easier to setup in iRacing! Hope you have a good one!

Just a minor correction..... the Fanatec product page shows the dimensions for the standard CSR on the Elite page. But if you download the manual from Fanatec's support page it shows the correct wheel base dimensions which are 29.5cm wide and 16cm deep.

Added the final part in the CSR Elite's writeup. Thomas, I plan on purchasing all three products. Also, next up is the writeup for the CSTC, and CSRS!

Back