Currently on your first time through GT3?

• Thread starter frenzal
  • 218 comments
I started GT3 a month or 2 ago. I'm trying to do it all in order, so I've completed all of beginner League and I'm currently on Amateur. I've been doing the license tests gradually with progress in game, but I try to get all gold before moving to next license.

I've got all gold in the first 2 licenses so far, I've got 6 golds in the 3rd license (i think its Ib?), having difficulty getting gold in the one that's a from the complex string.

Like someone mentioned above, I can't wait to do the enduro's, you really get to know the track relative to the car you are using and achieve some amazing times and manouvers

If you can pass the GT-2 licences tests you can certainly do the tests
in GT-3 without to much difficulty. Some of those tests in GT-2 were
hard to get gold on.

Yeah...A4 (Altezza making left turn) and the blind-wall Camaro test were scary! :eek:

I lied in that post I just hit 75% the other day after I did the miata enduro. I won the Purple F688/S Polyphony (I think that's right) for the enduro. Then got the Mazda 787B for 75%. These are the first of either high-end types of cars I've acquired. Dang they're quick.

I really dug the Polyphony Digi cup ...that's the one where you have all "normal" cars (can't tune except for tires). I brought a Cobra Mustang and had plenty of fun times dancing with an NSX that showed up.

I started GT3 a month or 2 ago. I'm trying to do it all in order, so I've completed all of beginner League and I'm currently on Amateur. I've been doing the license tests gradually with progress in game, but I try to get all gold before moving to next license.

I've got all gold in the first 2 licenses so far, I've got 6 golds in the 3rd license (i think its Ib?), having difficulty getting gold in the one that's a from the complex string.

Like someone mentioned above, I can't wait to do the enduro's, you really get to know the track relative to the car you are using and achieve some amazing times and manouvers

Cool, well we're glad you here. I'm stuck there, too (you're right...it's the IB slaloms in a Porsche). Some of the enduros are a blast, but a couple of them were boring to me (Route 11 comes to mind). I tried to do that race with an Oreca Viper, but i was too fast so i came back with a GT40...but not the race car, the regular one. The Nissan R390 got ahead of everyone else, so i was stuck battling him for about 40 laps. It just got boring to me...woulda been much more insteresting if some other car could have joined us like the TS020.

Cool, well we're glad you here. I'm stuck there, too (you're right...it's the IB slaloms in a Porsche). Some of the enduros are a blast, but a couple of them were boring to me (Route 11 comes to mind). I tried to do that race with an Oreca Viper, but i was too fast so i came back with a GT40...but not the race car, the regular one. The Nissan R390 got ahead of everyone else, so i was stuck battling him for about 40 laps. It just got boring to me...woulda been much more insteresting if some other car could have joined us like the TS020.

So how much of the game have you completed now? have you finished all prof/rally league?

I have bit of a dilemma, I'm half way through the amateurs.
My plan is to complete all of prof and enduro, then do the rallys, then run through the arcade mode (which I am assuming will be a less enjoyable yet simple task, but I will do for completeness). However, I've already bought GT4, not opened the box yet. I drool every time I look at it.
When I play GT3, I'm not sure if should just rush through it to start GT4 asap, or to enjoy GT3 fully before moving on to GT4??:indiff:

So how much of the game have you completed now? have you finished all prof/rally league?

I have bit of a dilemma, I'm half way through the amateurs.
My plan is to complete all of prof and enduro, then do the rallys, then run through the arcade mode (which I am assuming will be a less enjoyable yet simple task, but I will do for completeness). However, I've already bought GT4, not opened the box yet. I drool every time I look at it.
When I play GT3, I'm not sure if should just rush through it to start GT4 asap, or to enjoy GT3 fully before moving on to GT4??:indiff:

All i have left is the F1 cup, Clio, Elise, and some other manufacture's cup and i'm done with pro league. Havent started rallies at all. The cool thing about arcade mode is, you can use just about any car you wantwith any horsepower you want...and the game matches you with similarly-powered cars (or tries to). It's kinda like the Emulator in GT2.

Gt3 has its highs and its lows. When i first got GT3, i didn't touch it for a month or so cuz i was finishing GT2 100%. But see, i have multiple games going, so it's taken me a year and a half to get to where i am in GT3.

And when i first started getting thru GT3, i assumed i'd be done within 6 months like Bush & Cheney thought they'd be done with Iraq in 6 months. :ill: I assumed the lack of cars in gT3 would get boring...but in a way it's not boring....it's simply less distracting, know what i mean?

I mean it took me over a year to get one of my gT2 games complete. Why? Because there's so many cars, i jsut wanted to try most of them! :eek:

Finally, we come to GT4. I messed around with it last summer, but i don't wanna start it till one of my GT3 games is mostly done (i ain't doing the entire thing...way too long.) I wanna finish sim mode, arcade, and most of the rallies. But to do that it's become rather a chore...which you seem to be encountering. SO yeah, i'd say enjoy GT3 for what it is. And then gT4 will be so much better!

Woohoooo! :D I've finally managed to get Gold on that complex string Ib license test! (Both with TC and without on the Porsche) So I have one more test in Ib, the last one in Apricot hill, stuck on that now:indiff:

All i have left is the F1 cup, Clio, Elise, and some other manufacture's cup and i'm done with pro league. Havent started rallies at all. The cool thing about arcade mode is, you can use just about any car you wantwith any horsepower you want...and the game matches you with similarly-powered cars (or tries to). It's kinda like the Emulator in GT2.

Gt3 has its highs and its lows. When i first got GT3, i didn't touch it for a month or so cuz i was finishing GT2 100%. But see, i have multiple games going, so it's taken me a year and a half to get to where i am in GT3.

And when i first started getting thru GT3, i assumed i'd be done within 6 months like Bush & Cheney thought they'd be done with Iraq in 6 months. :ill: I assumed the lack of cars in gT3 would get boring...but in a way it's not boring....it's simply less distracting, know what i mean?

I mean it took me over a year to get one of my gT2 games complete. Why? Because there's so many cars, i jsut wanted to try most of them! :eek:

Finally, we come to GT4. I messed around with it last summer, but i don't wanna start it till one of my GT3 games is mostly done (i ain't doing the entire thing...way too long.) I wanna finish sim mode, arcade, and most of the rallies. But to do that it's become rather a chore...which you seem to be encountering. SO yeah, i'd say enjoy GT3 for what it is. And then gT4 will be so much better!

The emulator in GT2 was great. If the arcade in GT3 is similar to that then I look forward to it.

I always assumed the gameplay /physics in arcade mode to be inferior to sim.
Is this true for GT3/4? (I guess that's why is classed as arcade mode?)

So my plan was to finish Gt3 in arcade mode and start GT4 in arcade mode.

Woohoooo! :D I've finally managed to get Gold on that complex string Ib license test! (Both with TC and without on the Porsche) So I have one more test in Ib, the last one in Apricot hill, stuck on that now:indiff:

The emulator in GT2 was great. If the arcade in GT3 is similar to that then I look forward to it.

I always assumed the gameplay /physics in arcade mode to be inferior to sim.
Is this true for GT3/4? (I guess that's why is classed as arcade mode?)

So my plan was to finish Gt3 in arcade mode and start GT4 in arcade mode.

I think the gameplay in arcade is slightly less than sim-mode, but not by much.

Funny, alot of folks think the emulator sucked, but i always loved it :) i thought it was a great way to end GT2. Enter a 400-hp muscle car, and you'll be up against a Mine's Skyline that'll toruture you! Enter a Ford Ka, and the game responds with similarly underpowered cars...the only thing i hated was that each race was only 2 laps :(

Gt3 arcade is kinda like the emulator without the 30-second load up. I've been driving my Oreca Viper in Hard mode, and the game has been putting me up against cars like the Mazda 787B and Toyota TSo20. The other day i made a mistake and entered a PT Cruiser in HArd mode, and was shocked because the game had me against lesser cars :) Each race is 5 laps, too 👍

Congrats on the slaloms, too. 👍

Where are you in the game percentage wise? Have you done much actual racing yet? The reason i ask is because it sounds like you're following one of those guides that recommends getting all the licenses first...and unfortunately only experienced players will be able to do this quickly.

..i could be wrong, though, maybe you have been racing alot. Personally, i haven't done the S-license in GT3 yet, but i got mine in GT2 fairly easy because by the time i went for my S, i had driven the actual courses several hundred laps each in races. I doubt the S license in gT3 is much harder than the GT2 one.

It just sounds lik you're not so experienced yet, but i could be wrong...
im only 37.7% through but im doin sum of the pro races easy. Think it mite be my car though.

im only 37.7% through but im doin sum of the pro races easy. Think it mite be my car though.

There you go. Which car are you using in the pros? If you're driving something competitive, you shouldn't have much problem getting an S license. If you're driving something that makes the game too easy (like an excuseo), you'll never truely learn the tracks and the finesse it takes to earn an S-license. Even bronze medals in S are relatively tough. You can make a mistake here and there, but for the most part you shouldn't be making any.

....i'm getting ahead of myself, maybe you already have your S.

I'm still on my first time through it, about low 90% and not looking forward to enduro's. I think I've got two more championships before Professional league is complete.

I'm still on my first time through it, about low 90% and not looking forward to enduro's. I think I've got two more championships before Professional league is complete.

Some of the enduros are borefests, i'll be honest. Tokyo Route 246 and Grand Valley are good, though. Seattle is too easy; in GT2 they had the Shelby Series 1 which was quicker than the usual mustangs and camaros 👎 Route 11? Boring. There's another race i'm forgetting that was also boring. Haven't done Miata race yet, or Cote d'Azur, but i'm looking forward to both of those. 👍 Rome with the Clio and TVR is my favorite. :)

im sort of on my first time through GT3.

my first real time does not count, as it was just a blur of Gameshark and Xploder codes that let me unlock cars and recieve 1,000,000,000,000 credits, e.t.c.

but yes im currently about 25% through the game with a 360 hp 1989 Skyline.

you forget how good some games are when all you do is cheat....:)

I seem to be going through a bad patch these last few days.
I was racing the GT world championship in amateur league in a nismo 400r (yellow, black rims), with stage 1 turbo and other parts at full spec.

I tried it with sports tyres initially and was blown away in the 4th race by the viper and camaro race cars. I then upgraded tyres, lost again. Then finally won after upgrading turbo to max (~840hp). I don't understand why I was having such difficulty with it. Has anybody else found this race tough or have I reached the peak of my skills in amateur league?:ill:
I know I can easily do this race in a race car like the astra or altezza, but I thought it would be such a problem in nismo 400r.

Maybe, I need to regularly redo the license tests to keep myself sharp?

I seem to be going through a bad patch these last few days.
I was racing the GT world championship in amateur league in a nismo 400r (yellow, black rims), with stage 1 turbo and other parts at full spec.

I tried it with sports tyres initially and was blown away in the 4th race by the viper and camaro race cars. I then upgraded tyres, lost again. Then finally won after upgrading turbo to max (~840hp). I don't understand why I was having such difficulty with it. Has anybody else found this race tough or have I reached the peak of my skills in amateur league?:ill:
I know I can easily do this race in a race car like the astra or altezza, but I thought it would be such a problem in nismo 400r.

Maybe, I need to regularly redo the license tests to keep myself sharp?

Okay, does the Nismo 400R have good downforce? There lies your problem no doubt. I've noticed that using cars which don't have super-downforce can win races;;; if they have massive amounts of horsepower, but cars that have comparable downforce to the AI don't need so much power and are more pleasant to win races with. 💡

I first noticed this when using a Viper GTS (not the Oreca) in the Beginner's World Cup. I had to use massive horses to win at cornery tracks lik Trail and Laguna. But when i tried the series again in a Ford Focus RC, i didn't need so much power because the car has modifyable downforce and can take corners more evenly with less braking.

Hope that all makes sense.

Okay, does the Nismo 400R have good downforce? There lies your problem no doubt. I've noticed that using cars which don't have super-downforce can win races;;; if they have massive amounts of horsepower, but cars that have comparable downforce to the AI don't need so much power and are more pleasant to win races with. 💡

I first noticed this when using a Viper GTS (not the Oreca) in the Beginner's World Cup. I had to use massive horses to win at cornery tracks lik Trail and Laguna. But when i tried the series again in a Ford Focus RC, i didn't need so much power because the car has modifyable downforce and can take corners more evenly with less braking.

Hope that all makes sense.

Yep, that appeared to be true. I did it with an Astra Touring car, traction/stability off, you can vary the downforce and suspension to make the race more competitive (I'm still trying to understand LSD, so not changing that until I know what hell it does).

By the way, does anyone know how I can access the fastest laps
sub-forum?

I'm doing the Japanese GT championship in amateur league in a c-west razo silvia. Tried it with no turbo upgrade, but couldn't keep up. Needed the Stage 1 turbo (400bhp) to win.

Any suggestions as to what other cars would give an interesting race for this championship?

I finally got my "S" license last night. Just before the holidays, we started a kitchen makeover, so I had about a three week break (sentance) from my racing. I was seriously "jonesing" over my addiction.:nervous: The last license seemed like the right way to get back into it.
I think the test I took the most attempts at was the Miata at Trial Mountain. The toughest test for me was the GT40 at Seattle. Somehow I managed a fluke lap that was just "clean enough". I have no patience to go and get better than a passing run on the tests at this time, so they're all bronzes for now. I'll have to find a better way to anchor my wheel before I get into that.

I finally got my "S" license last night. Just before the holidays, we started a kitchen makeover, so I had about a three week break (sentance) from my racing. I was seriously "jonesing" over my addiction.:nervous: The last license seemed like the right way to get back into it.
I think the test I took the most attempts at was the Miata at Trial Mountain. The toughest test for me was the GT40 at Seattle. Somehow I managed a fluke lap that was just "clean enough". I have no patience to go and get better than a passing run on the tests at this time, so they're all bronzes for now. I'll have to find a better way to anchor my wheel before I get into that.

I found the toyota road car on the Corted'zur quite a challenge.

To get golds in S license at the moment semms like an impossible task for me, but maybe I'll get there eventually

I found the toyota road car on the Corted'zur quite a challenge.

To get golds in S license at the moment semms like an impossible task for me, but maybe I'll get there eventually

Yes, that thing is a handfull. Watching the demo it looks like you need to carry enough speed to coast (slide) around the hairpins because you don't want to put down the power until the end of the corner. You need to cary enough speed so that it doesn't shift all the way downt to first gear when you put the power down. (I still use an auto tranny in the game although I prefer a manual in real life)

I haven't been gaming much these last couple weeks. All i have left of Sim mode is the rallies and F1 cup. But at 30 laps per track...that F1 cup is best left for when i have actual time! Who knows...i may just skip it and jump straight to GT4...

Yes, that thing is a handfull. Watching the demo it looks like you need to carry enough speed to coast (slide) around the hairpins because you don't want to put down the power until the end of the corner. You need to cary enough speed so that it doesn't shift all the way downt to first gear when you put the power down. (I still use an auto tranny in the game although I prefer a manual in real life)

Carrying enough speed into the corner to prevent going into 1st gear, maybe I'll try that if/when I try improving my time on it. I'm the same with gears, use auto in game, I tried manual gears with DS2 controller in the game but found that my fingers just won't move where I want them to.
Trying to control the braking/accelerator/steering/gears all at once with fingers was just too much:crazy:

What view do you use? I used out of car when I first started playing, but now I always use in car view. I think it gives me more detailed/sensitive feedback as to what the car is doing. The only downside is I can't enjoy the visual beauty of my Denso Supra and gt40 while driving.

I haven't been gaming much these last couple weeks. All i have left of Sim mode is the rallies and F1 cup. But at 30 laps per track...that F1 cup is best left for when i have actual time! Who knows...i may just skip it and jump straight to GT4...

Oh no, pls don't mention GT4, I'll be tempted to just stop my current progress in GT3 (just the dream car championship to do in amateur league) and jump straight in GT4:scared:

So you've finished all enduro's...cool

Oh no, pls don't mention GT4, I'll be tempted to just stop my current progress in GT3 (just the dream car championship to do in amateur league) and jump straight in GT4:scared:

So you've finished all enduro's...cool

Yeah, i forgot: haven't done Stupor Speedway yet. I think it'll be a good race. Cote was kind of a disappointment. :(

The Roadster endurance absolutely rocks. I love that race!!! :D I got the 2nd least powerful MX5 and used sporrts tires. :) Not too long of a race, and most of the time i was battling.

^ Strangely I found the Miata the easiest. They key is to keep your speed up (which I managed to do) and get gold on PAL. It's all about when to brake and when not to brake, keeping the speed up is the key.

Super Speedway Enduro was cool. I done that race twice so far: First time in a Mustang, 2nd time in a Civic Type R. I underpowered my Civic and lost on the last lap to the Lotus Motorsport 👎

I like the Cote enduro, too. I thought i would get bored but i just LOVE that track. I loved going thru those corners again and again in my Oreca Viper was a blast! Each set of corners is like a puzzle, and i got in the habit of hitting the gas before i'd leave whatever corner or chicane i was in...it's so phat to spank the 787B!!!

Carrying enough speed into the corner to prevent going into 1st gear, maybe I'll try that if/when I try improving my time on it. I'm the same with gears, use auto in game, I tried manual gears with DS2 controller in the game but found that my fingers just won't move where I want them to.
Trying to control the braking/accelerator/steering/gears all at once with fingers was just too much:crazy:

What view do you use? I used out of car when I first started playing, but now I always use in car view. I think it gives me more detailed/sensitive feedback as to what the car is doing. The only downside is I can't enjoy the visual beauty of my Denso Supra and gt40 while driving.

Having been cursed with 7 thumbs and lack of dexterity to match, i have to say that if i can learn to drive using Manual Trans, ANYBODY can. I simply used the mindset that i would just keep using MT, and see how things went. Initially, it was ****ing terrible, but having already decided that i would persist, i jusst went with the flow, not allowing frustration to take hold. Now, i would not drive any other way. It just happened. I find i have much greater control, particularly the higher powered cars around the tighter courses like Cote. Stick with it man.

Still got the irrits with TT10, i just can't find 4.5 bloody seconds i need to gold it, keep going away (GT4 75% complete, V8 Supercars 2 - 68%, V8 Supercars 3 - 61%) to play other games, but on return i can always get back to my best time very quickly, without managing to drop my times. Frustration sets in very quickly.

Ok, 1 event to go. Bloody TT10 *bangs head against wall :D Came back yesterday, knocked over Tokyo Enduro with the Polyphony 001, give myself a chance to get used to the speed factor again. Talk about ragged, was hittin walls, couple 360's, played pinball through the half chicane along the back straight, but still won by plenty laps. DUH

Then turned on the PS2 this morning to do the last event from Formula GT, 78 laps around monaco. Wondered why my dollar count was the same as when i turned it on yesterday, realisation hits me that i hadn't saved. That's what happens when you spend too much time playing games that autosave. :D The time spent practicing was well spent though, took an unraced Polyphony 001, nice brand spanking new black bullet to Monaco, and won by a lap and about 10 secs. Then back to Tokyo, blew away the opposition again ( i need the practice for the Formula Williams events in V8 Supercars 3 lol ) .

Resigned to the fact that TT10 is gonna be a bugbear, just gonna have to keep pluggin away to make the 100%.

Back