Currently on your first time through GT3?

• Thread starter frenzal
  • 218 comments
👎 F1 car for Monaco & Route 246?? Aww you can do better than that! I managed Monaco in the Oreca Viper with standard power (650-ish hp i think). I hopped in my GT40 road car for Tokyo (Viper felt too easy). Sorry, it's your game...i just couldn't help opinionatin' :yuck:

👎 F1 car for Monaco & Route 246?? Aww you can do better than that! I managed Monaco in the Oreca Viper with standard power (650-ish hp i think). I hopped in my GT40 road car for Tokyo (Viper felt too easy). Sorry, it's your game...i just couldn't help opinionatin' :yuck:

The F1 around Monaco was the Formula GT race, so i didn't have a lot of choice:sly: I can't recall what i used there in the Enduro.

I understand where you're coming from re: the Tokyo thing though. i just needed to get acclimatised to the Polyphony again after such a long time out of it. No excuses for such overkill :lol:

I've spent the last couple weeks on some of the tougher series: The Vitz Pro, The Elise Cup and the Avant Garde. I'm getting 1-1.5 hours 3 nights a week so I've been breaking the series up with 2 races per visit. I've started doing the time trials as a quick warm up before going racing. I like to think I'm pretty good at the rallies but the Impreza at Swiss Alps is a toughie for me right now as I need to shave more than a second off my best. The AI can get through that first sharp right flat-out. I can't seem to survive doing so myself. I'm sure when I get to it, Complex String will give me fits. I'm planning to give a little more detailed report on those series. I'll have to dig up some old race report threads.

The F1 around Monaco was the Formula GT race, so i didn't have a lot of choice:sly: I can't recall what i used there in the Enduro.

I understand where you're coming from re: the Tokyo thing though. i just needed to get acclimatised to the Polyphony again after such a long time out of it. No excuses for such overkill :lol:

Ooops sorry. yeah i wasn't flaming you...but i always voice my opinion :guilty:
we can blame it on latent psychological trauma repressed inside from my childhood i guess :guilty:

Ooops sorry. yeah i wasn't flaming you...but i always voice my opinion :guilty:
we can blame it on latent psychological trauma repressed inside from my childhood i guess :guilty:

Yeah, it's all cool, i didn't take it as a flame. Opinions based on principle are fine, i agree with yours on this matter. I just needed the practice time. You'll notice i didn't sing my praises regarding blowing away the opposition with an F1, as i've seen done on here on many occasions :lol: ( i think i recall some goober bragging how he'd blown off some 300hp series with an F1) . I like your idea of the Viper around Monaco in the Enduro, i'm thinking of giving it a go.

I like your idea of the Viper around Monaco in the Enduro, i'm thinking of giving it a go.

That Viper. I started the race with stage 1 tuning (700+) but about halfway thru the race i realized i had clobbered the Mazda 787B so i actually restarted the race with stock power. :dopey: If you do it right, you wind up winning thru pit stops rather than pure speed.

Hi all,

This should be a nice place to make my first post. I am still on my first time through this 6 year old game. Got my ps2, logitech wheel and GT3 back in March 06 and have been slowly working my way through the game since. GT4 has been sitting on the shelf for a while now but I want to finish up 3 first because I know I won't come back to it once I started 4.

Right now I'm at 90%+ completion with a handful of hard level arcade races, Avant Garde, Tokyo and Laguna enduro, and the F1 series left to complete. I'm currently midway through pro Dream Car driving the SuperAutoBacs MR-S w/ turbo 1 and T2s. Need to work on the Midfield II race as the non-pitting rx7 LM is tough to beat. :crazy:

I've returned to GT3 myself, I'm at 84%. I'm currently working on the TVR series. I'm also working on Time Trial #10, I've got to loose about 7 seconds yet.

Which logitec wheel?

Hi all,

This should be a nice place to make my first post. I am still on my first time through this 6 year old game. Got my ps2, logitech wheel and GT3 back in March 06 and have been slowly working my way through the game since. GT4 has been sitting on the shelf for a while now but I want to finish up 3 first because I know I won't come back to it once I started 4.

Right now I'm at 90%+ completion with a handful of hard level arcade races, Avant Garde, Tokyo and Laguna enduro, and the F1 series left to complete. I'm currently midway through pro Dream Car driving the SuperAutoBacs MR-S w/ turbo 1 and T2s. Need to work on the Midfield II race as the non-pitting rx7 LM is tough to beat. :crazy:

Welcome here :) Like i said before i wanted to finish GT3 before moving on. Turns out i never finished it yet :guilty: Oh well. I was looking at those F1 races....30 to 40 laps apiece :eek: YikeS! I never did the time trials, either. I think there's a handful of pros i never completed: the Clio, TVR, and Elise series.

I can't go back. Once i got GT4 in my PS2 i just can't go back! :dopey:

The wingman formula force wheel is what I'm using.

I just got through the midfield II race last night. Took the time to qualify 3rd place with the stock T5's. That also put the rx7 in 5th starting position instead of 2nd by default. This completely worked towards my favour and against the rx7 throughout most part of the race, as the s2000 LM behind me was really impeding the rx7's run in the early laps and later on gave me drafting advantage for another couple of laps before his tires faded out. In the end I managed to claim 1st place with the rx7 in 2nd, 4 sec behind. :)

Thanks for the welcome Parnelli Bone! Yeah I got my copy of GT4 for maybe half a year now but I restrain myself from starting it until I'm finished with 3. I hope I can wrap up 3 in the next month or so. :)

Thanks for the welcome Parnelli Bone! Yeah I got my copy of GT4 for maybe half a year now but I restrain myself from starting it until I'm finished with 3. I hope I can wrap up 3 in the next month or so. :)

GT4 was sitting in my CD rack since last June. I took a few peeks back then then MADE myself go back to gT3. :) That took some serious discipline. On the other hand, i've always been a "leave no stone unturned" sort of guy when it comes to hobbies and such. 👍

But it's not like i never play gT3 anymore. I just did some beginner races in a Mini and Peugeot 206 yesterday for instance. It's like putting on an old shoe...i can get a nice, close race 90% of the time whenever i go back. Gt4 isn't quite so predictable.

Guess I'll check in too. I got GT3 about a month ago and I really got hooked. I'm a crappy driver though. I got lazy and won most of my races through Superior Horsepower - the AIs actually catch up with me on the curves and I pull away on the straights. I did manage to get through all the license tests except S.

So I started over a couple days ago. Running Sunday cup with a stock Miata. :) My goal is to win all the races with lower-powered cars. Just don't tell me to try to get all golds on my license tests. I don't have the skill or patience for that.

Oh, and before I started over I bought a new memory card. I wanted to keep all my Lotuses and RUFs and Rally cars. And I want to be able to use the trade function to avoid paying for performance parts. Yeah, you might call that cheating, but I'm really only concerned about not cheating to win races. I personally don't care about cheating to make or save money.

Just wanted to add that I got GT3 used for $2.99. Best entertainment value per $ I ever got.

And this time I'm keeping the Pink Vitz (Dang, that this is pink!) And I won't disrepect her by calling her the Pitz. I think I'll name her "Paris." (Pink Yaris = Paris)

No wait. That'll remind people of Paris Hilton. :mad: That's even worse than Pitz. Dang, I thought I was being clever.

Guess I'll check in too. I got GT3 about a month ago and I really got hooked. I'm a crappy driver though. I got lazy and won most of my races through Superior Horsepower - the AIs actually catch up with me on the curves and I pull away on the straights. I did manage to get through all the license tests except S.

So I started over a couple days ago. Running Sunday cup with a stock Miata. :) My goal is to win all the races with lower-powered cars. Just don't tell me to try to get all golds on my license tests. I don't have the skill or patience for that.

Oh, and before I started over I bought a new memory card. I wanted to keep all my Lotuses and RUFs and Rally cars. And I want to be able to use the trade function to avoid paying for performance parts. Yeah, you might call that cheating, but I'm really only concerned about not cheating to win races. I personally don't care about cheating to make or save money.

Trading on the memory cards aint' cheating bro! Who told you that? :ouch:

And the All Gold thing is (in my opinion) not necessary early on. You're just beginning the game...earning golds is something you should only attempt once you've driven the tracks and raced for a few months; this way you'll have some skills under your belt, will be able to achieve gold with less frustration. Know what i mean?

On the other hand, i wouldn't blow off the license tests entirely. Their lessons are invaluable. 👍

What happened to me back in my GT1 days was i "accidentally" got a gold one day in one of hte B's. From there it was all downhill as all the sudden i HAD to get the rest. Well B3 was so damn hard..after i golded it i said "ah the heck with the rest". And then the car i won (a red Dodge Copperhead) wasn't nearly as good as my Vipers or the purple Copperhead i had previously won. All those hours (and i do mean hours) of driving that del Sol into Deep Forest turn 1 seemed like a waste of time. 👎 But it did improve my skills i guess.

Parnelli Bone
And the All Gold thing is (in my opinion) not necessary early on. You're just beginning the game...earning golds is something you should only attempt once you've driven the tracks and raced for a few months; this way you'll have some skills under your belt, will be able to achieve gold with less frustration. Know what i mean?
Parnelli, +Rep for that part of the post. It is so true, I got so mad when I tried to Gold all of them at the start... :mad: You need to practice, practice, practice, before you can accomplish it. 👍

Well, I just got done with the B tests. All silver except for one gold on the B-2, and bronze on B-8 (Skyline through the tunnels at Trial Mountain). I spent an hour trying get silver on that last test. I'm off by 1/4 of a second. Following the ghost I can see it's rear-end sliding out on the last turn - I should be able to gain a little time there. But even when I feel like I've got a better line than the last time - stupid ghost beats me!

I'm off to the license test thread to get some pointers.

But I know what you mean about the lessons - I need 'em. I'm just gonna shoot for silver and do one license at a time so I don't get burned out.

Originally posted by Parnelli Bone
Trading on the memory cards aint' cheating bro! Who told you that?
OK, maybe it ain't cheating, but buying a maxed out Vitz from a memory card for the same price as a stock Vitz from the dealer...? That's a darn good deal! :) I was reading Uncle Harry's "GT3 0 to 100%" thread, and I seem to recall that he bought all his performance parts with race winnings. All I can say is my hat's off to Uncle Harry.

That's a good way to go: just try one at a time if you're going for some precious metal. What'll happen is eventually you'll earn gold somewhere in a few tries, then the fever will strike and you'll wanna get gold on the next test! :ouch:

Yeah B8 is tough (the Skyline at T Mountain). Tell you what...when you do this test, instead of kicking the engine up to the limit, rev up to about 4,000 rpms at the start. I think that's what i did. 4,000....5,000 somewhere up there. The reason is you get better traction as you climb the hill and should gain a few tenthts. Watch your ghost...if you were redlining before it should now be falling behind.

B8 is really tough. I started a new gT3 game last month (just to get $100,000 so i can start a new GT4 game after converting!) and to earn early cash i golded the B's. Even after almost 2 years of GT3 it took me awhile (maybe an hour) to gold B8, even tho i can gold the other 7 within a half hour. :) THey really make you nail every turn on that one.

Thanks for the +rep TRV. And backacha. 👍

And this time I'm keeping the Pink Vitz (Dang, that this is pink!) And I won't disrepect her by calling her the Pitz. I think I'll name her "Paris." (Pink Yaris = Paris)

No wait. That'll remind people of Paris Hilton. :mad: That's even worse than Pitz. Dang, I thought I was being clever.

At least you know it'll be an easy ride, and handle well in the wet :sly:

Yeah, like Parnelli, i've been mainly drivin in GT4 ( currently at 94.9%). But I spend an hour or so every week trying to find that last 4.5 secs in TT 10 that's sitting between me and 100% in GT3. I've read every thread i can find and watched other bloke's videos of the test, ran through the demo against my better times, and STILL can't get the bloody thing. :crazy: I guess it's just gonna be one of those things where i'll drop in there on day and it'll just click.

OK, maybe it ain't cheating, but buying a maxed out Vitz from a memory card for the same price as a stock Vitz from the dealer...? That's a darn good deal! :)

PD really dropped the ball on that one. I know in GT2 if you traded a car, you also bought all of its performance parts...which means it's easy to wind up paying several hundred thousand credits even for a Vitz (assuming it was hopped up).

At least you know it'll be an easy ride, and handle well in the wet :sly:

Yeah, like Parnelli, i've been mainly drivin in GT4 ( currently at 94.9%). But I spend an hour or so every week trying to find that last 4.5 secs in TT 10 that's sitting between me and 100% in GT3. I've read every thread i can find and watched other bloke's videos of the test, ran through the demo against my better times, and STILL can't get the bloody thing. :crazy: I guess it's just gonna be one of those things where i'll drop in there on day and it'll just click.

:crazy: Makes me glad i never did the TT's :) Soudns very frustrating. :grumpy:

The TT's were fairly easy here, is the difficulty different on different versions? :confused: I hit 4.9 seconds early on that complex string TT. I could've ran faster. Remember to let off the throttle for a little oversteer. Also floor it if you want your car to straighten out while oversteer. Yes RR drivetrains are wierd. :)

The TT's were fairly easy here, is the difficulty different on different versions? :confused: I hit 4.9 seconds early on that complex string TT. I could've ran faster. Remember to let off the throttle for a little oversteer. Also floor it if you want your car to straighten out while oversteer. Yes RR drivetrains are wierd. :)

Very cool. Well i'll skip them anyways. I've never been much of a time-trial sort i guess. :guilty: I'm currently trying to do some Cliff notes on the 'Ring in GT4! :eek: which will demand all the weekend brain cells my mind will allot for a weekend. Which will for a weekend my brain cells mind. Errr...

...need break from GT4. need break from GT4. Danger Will Robinson danger

Initially I was repulsed by the TTs. Some how I managed to get myself really hooked on the TTs. I kind of started on them at the same time as the S license since several are practically the same. Some have come easy some have come hard. I'm down to TT#10 and have less than a second to loose off my best time. I can always tell where I could've gone faster. It's just a matter of putting together a lap with a few less flaws.

Very cool. Well i'll skip them anyways. I've never been much of a time-trial sort i guess. :guilty: I'm currently trying to do some Cliff notes on the 'Ring in GT4! :eek: which will demand all the weekend brain cells my mind will allot for a weekend. Which will for a weekend my brain cells mind. Errr...

...need break from GT4. need break from GT4. Danger Will Robinson danger
Hey don't they add to your completion percentage? Also they give you a Panoz Esperante when you pass all of them.

Hey don't they add to your completion percentage? Also they give you a Panoz Esperante when you pass all of them.

:D SCREW my completion percentage!!! :D Man if i were to delve into that it would take me an extra month to make 100%!! Taht's precious time i could be devoting to 4!!! :embarrassed:

...sorry just havin a bit of fun.

:D SCREW my completion percentage!!! :D Man if i were to delve into that it would take me an extra month to make 100%!! Taht's precious time i could be devoting to 4!!! :embarrassed:

...sorry just havin a bit of fun.

For me my thinking is I'd never even try to complete GT4, with all those long endurances which would still take 8-hrs non stop with b-spec. So here I am completing GT3 100% first, since that's actually feasible, and then I'd move onto 4 with the expectation that I'd never finish the game in my life time but more for the eye candy and taking on races at my leisure, not aiming for completion. Then again, maybe once I actually started 4 my thinking would be different.

The problem with GT3 is that the professional races have too many laps. Every race is like a Mini-Enduro.

Amen to that! That's one of the reasons why I decided on an early termination to my GT3 career.

Yeah, I'm getting down to where there's not much left to tackle in a hour or so of play time. I really hate to stretch out the series races over several nights. God knows when I'll knock out the endurance events.

For me my thinking is I'd never even try to complete GT4, with all those long endurances which would still take 8-hrs non stop with b-spec. So here I am completing GT3 100% first, since that's actually feasible, and then I'd move onto 4 with the expectation that I'd never finish the game in my life time but more for the eye candy and taking on races at my leisure, not aiming for completion. Then again, maybe once I actually started 4 my thinking would be different.

My problem was i started my entire GT career way too late. I started GT1 in December of 2003 for instance...the whole time i'm llike--damn, i just wanna move to GT2 cuz i read about all these cool cars! Then i get into GT3 like 6 months after 4 came out. GT3 has some awesome racing...if 4 wasn't out i woulda completed 3 by now. But 4 has been out over 2 years now. :guilty:

The problem with GT3 is that the professional races have too many laps. Every race is like a Mini-Enduro.

I had no problem with the mini-enduros, in fact i look forward to many of them cuz each one is like a short story with a bit of drama thrown in. The only ones i hated are all the damn Test Course races. There's even a Vitz race that's 10 or 15 laps! Sheesh!

I had no problem with the mini-enduros, in fact i look forward to many of them cuz each one is like a short story with a bit of drama thrown in. The only ones i hated are all the damn Test Course races. There's even a Vitz race that's 10 or 15 laps! Sheesh!

I do find the 15-lappers a little excessive. I think 10 laps are good enough. Though I do find the 20-lappers in PD cup very enjoyable throughout. I guess it's because I enjoy slow rides, whereas in a lot of the 10 or 15 lappers in pro league you're up against insanely fast road cars or boosted race cars (e.g. the R390 in All Stars Tokyo).

All those Test Course races should be taken out of the game altogether. If you use a car thats faster than the AI, you'll be bored to death riding ahead alone for 15 laps. If you opt for some excitement and went with drafting underpowered, you'll still be bored for the first 14 and 3/4 laps until the moment of truth before the finish line. So what extra challenge does it give doing 15 laps over say 3? Guess it's the challenge of trying to stay awake. :ill: Moreover when you realize the AIs are all limited by their stock gearboxes even though they got insanely boosted hp it just makes all these Test Course races feel really really pointless.... :yuck: And there's always one in each of the major series in pro league.

Back