Custom Music

• Thread starter STJ88
  • 62 comments
This is one of my main gripes with GT5. Why oh why oh why oh why can you not change the menu music? The menu music is so awful it has got to be delibirate. I will admire anyone who can tolerate the ear assaulting Japanese nonsense for more than 10 seconds.

Surely the menu music is more important than the in game or replay music? I would imagine most people would turn in game and replay music off surely

You can change which of the 'pre-loaded' songs (the ones that come with the game) plays during races, menus and slideshows (photo mode).
From your GT Life screen, in the bottom left of the screen is a 'Music Library' icon. If you select that it brings up all of the songs included with the game (all 189 of them). You can then select each one individually and select whether or not it plays during the race, over the menus, during slideshows (or any combination of those 3) by pressing triangle once you have the track selected.

No more bizarre Japanese piano jazz for me! 👍

On a side note, it's amazing how they've picked so many crap songs...

I still cant get my custom music to change. I created a playlist in the XMB with the songs, 61 in total. I start GT5, at the main menu options, then hardware to audio. Enabled Personal BGM then Select Personal BGM. I see the songs in the XMB music folder and my custom playlist as well. I select the playlist which opens the folder. Now here's where I have trouble. I've tried every variation of play options but it still plays the same single song every time without shuffling. Does anyone have any answers to help? Thanks

I vaguely remember pressing play on the first song thinking it was only going to play that one song but it plays all that are on my playlist i'm pretty sure.

Ok, I'm stupid I guess. I can't find anywhere in the game where I can adjust the volumes of anything. Where do I go?

Either go to the options in the main menu or GTLife mode(small grey gear icon) then down one to hardware which has controller options, scroll across and you'll find audio settings.

There should be an official "HOW DO I USE CUSTOM SOUNDTRACK"? thread. Alot of people seem to not understand how or not realize that they have to be in a playlist with playmode to shuffle.

Yeah I just asked that and everyone that posted decided to ignore it. I'd like to know

Been looking as well but as far as I can see it just doesnt exit or is a bug and not working as intended. A-Spec and Test Circuits play custom but online sadly still the GT5 songs :(

I mostly play online with mates so please PD fix it or someone find a way to change it :)

I'm not really sure if people are following a few of us with our questions about custom music tracks not changing. If I start a race and just set the controller down, of course the song will eventually finish and change tracks. The problem of mine is, if I start that race, and decide, hmm.......I want to restart this race for whatever reason, the same song starts over and over no matter which track, event, option change, etc......now if I use the games included music it will switch songs everytime u restart a race. This is what I want my own music to do. Anybody else following me?

I'm not really sure if people are following a few of us with our questions about custom music tracks not changing. If I start a race and just set the controller down, of course the song will eventually finish and change tracks. The problem of mine is, if I start that race, and decide, hmm.......I want to restart this race for whatever reason, the same song starts over and over no matter which track, event, option change, etc......now if I use the games included music it will switch songs everytime u restart a race. This is what I want my own music to do. Anybody else following me?

When you select the playlist you want to use are you also setting the play mode to shuffle in the same XMB menu? If not that's probably why.

When you select the playlist you want to use are you also setting the play mode to shuffle in the same XMB menu? If not that's probably why.
yes actually. I've tried every combination shuffle on/off. Repeat folder/ track/off. It will only shuffle if the song finishes during the race. Otherwise it starts the same song over every time. I did make this playlist before i installed gt5. Do you guys think i need to create a new playlist or what?

I don't know if this will help anyone it's a pretty simple idea but sometimes people overlook simple things. If your custom music is too quiet even turned up to 120 just tune all the other sound option lower (I found 50-70 was a good level) then you can turn the volume up on your screen/sound system and get a better balance.

This is driving me nuts. I am having the same trouble, no matter what way I set it up, if my last track has not finished during the race it will carry on to the next race. I must be doing something wrong if it's working for other people. Shuffle on. Repeat folder on. Shuffle on, on XMB. What am I doing wrong ?

This is driving me nuts. I am having the same trouble, no matter what way I set it up, if my last track has not finished during the race it will carry on to the next race. I must be doing something wrong if it's working for other people. Shuffle on. Repeat folder on. Shuffle on, on XMB. What am I doing wrong ?
dude ive tried everything too. Im starting to think that some of us are gettin screwed on this and some arent. Either that or people havent tried exactly what we're talking about. How bout this. For those who think there tracks are shuffling properly, and i do mean custom tracks, start up a license test, take note of which song is playing, pause the game and restart. If your custom playlist changes, then we can go from there.

F

Something else you can try - manually create a very short audio file yourself that's completely silent, something like 2-3 seconds. Convert it to an mp3, load it onto the PS3 and add it to your GT5 playlist, then select it as the first BGM to play. If the game always chooses the same song to start as you indicated, it will finish playing that file in 2-3 seconds, then move on to the next random song if you have shuffle enabled.

Something else you can try - manually create a very short audio file yourself that's completely silent, something like 2-3 seconds. Convert it to an mp3, load it onto the PS3 and add it to your GT5 playlist, then select it as the first BGM to play. If the game always chooses the same song to start as you indicated, it will finish playing that file in 2-3 seconds, then move on to the next random song if you have shuffle enabled.
I have also tried this. I put an Eminem mp3 on which lasts approx 10 seconds. I selected it to play first, which it does, then it will play a random song next everytime, but if the song is still playing and I have not finished my race it will still play on the next race. It has to be a bug in the game, as for some people it will shuffle okay, but for others it won't ? I have give up trying now, nothing will make it work.

EDIT..

I have found out what the problem is. You need to update your game to the latest version online. I have just done it now and it works a treat. Everytime I have restarted a race a new tune is played. And on every new race a new tune is played. Phew... Panic over

Last edited:
ahh this sucks. my internet is down right now and its so annoying that it plays the same track over and over. I ended up just turning the bgm off.

Does GT5 support AAC? When I select one in the setup menu it says file not supported. The PS3 plays it fine though. What's going on?

I would realy like to know how to play my own music in GT5, every time i click on one of my tracks i have on the PS3. GT5 tells me this option is not supported.

Have you considered buying an Astro Mixamp?

http://www.astrogaming.com/products/15/MixAmp/

It's fairly expensive at $130 but gives me the flexibility to listen to music that's on my laptop from iTunes, Pandora, etc. The Mixamp plugs into the PS3 via USB and optical inputs and also plugs into the headphone output of any device (my laptop, iPod, etc). It then lets you control the volume mix between music and the game sounds. I went in and turned off all the music in GT5 (a pain, cause I had to do it one by one) so all I hear are sweet race sounds and all the music I like!

I use my Dr. Dre Beats headphones plugged into the Mixamp and it sounds great. Music quality suffers just a bit because it's going through a second amp, but I'm an audiophile so most may not notice any difference. I also have a PS Eye, which has a microphone built in so I use that as my mic and hear everything, chat, race sounds and MY music mixed how I like it, in my headphones :)

The problem Im having is:

I set the playlist to shuffle, but then I go to race and it just plays the playlist through in order. WTF!

So I go back to the options and it's gone and set itself back to non shuffle, like I never saved the changes or something.
Am I stupid, is there a 'save changes' button im missing or something?

Thanks for any help.

what's the maximum number of songs in a ps3 playlist it's must be less than 600 but wondering what I have to edit my list down to?

It won't let me make one with 600 songs.

First of all, I'm sorry guys if I'm posting this in the wrong place but I've already searched the forum and didn't find it! So, I have a question, does any one here knows the name of the song that is most played in the menus after any race starts? It beggins with a simple pianno then turns into electro! I already searched in the in-game music list but couldn't find there either, looks like is the only song not listed! Can anyone help me on this? Thanks a lot, and sorry again if it's the wrong place for this one!

First of all, I'm sorry guys if I'm posting this in the wrong place but I've already searched the forum and didn't find it! So, I have a question, does any one here knows the name of the song that is most played in the menus after any race starts? It beggins with a simple pianno then turns into electro! I already searched in the in-game music list but couldn't find there either, looks like is the only song not listed! Can anyone help me on this? Thanks a lot, and sorry again if it's the wrong place for this one!

I'd like to know as well. Good question.

Back