Czinger's 21C is a 270mph, 3D-Printed, V8 Hybrid Hypercar

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by GTPNewsWire, Feb 21, 2020.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

2. RolexGTP

RolexGTP

This is going to shake up the hyper/mega car world a little bit. It dosent seem to threaten any top speed records but the acceleration seems on par with the Rimac C2, 2021 Tesla roadster and these other new breeds of high hp cars. That projected quarter mile time is just insane though.

3. kikie

kikie Premium

4. rdizzlator

rdizzlator

I for one welcome our new robot overlords if they design such organic and pretty suspension, that stuff is beautiful.

5. redhed17

redhed17

Top Gear released a video earlier today which looks at the car, and how it's made, in a bit more detail. There may be a more from Top Gear about it soon according to the chap in the vid. Interesting choice of the inline seating arrangement. The way it is made is innovative. And if those times are real for the acceleration, it's a rocket ship. :eek: ;)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    RolexGTP likes this.
  6. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

That suspension arm is a piece of art. Koenigsegg has finally met its match it seems. Would be interesting to see how the Jesko responds to this. More power but heavier, and probably more downforce (for comparison, the One:1 already has 830kg of downforce compard to the Czinger's 790kg, although that's at top speed compared to the Czinger's 155mph).

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    redhed17 likes this.
  7. GTV0819

GTV0819 (Banned)

Zzzinger?? But how long can it go in being fast?

8. MaxAttack

MaxAttack Premium

I'm not usually the one to call hypercars ugly but...

I don't like it. From the front it's very, uhh, phallic.

I guess that makes sense with the whole 3D printing thing, considering what most of the early 3D printing innovations consisted of...

9. Famine

Famine Administrator

Fun fact: Czinger's CTO is Jon Gunner, a Swedish aerospace engineer (Fokker, Saab) who spent 12 years at Koenigsegg and was technical director on the Agera R, Regera and One:1.

LeGeNd-1 likes this.
  10. kikie

kikie Premium

A 2.88 liter V8 is fiscally cheaper than my 3.0 V6 Mondeo. :eek:

11. Griffith500

Griffith500

"2.88 litre 80 degree flat plane V8"

It's two Kawasaki ZX-14 engines, isn't it? :)
    That's 400+ bhp before you add the turbos.

I love these organic, topology-optimised / generative design structures. You can even fairly easily "design" them at home and get them "printed". Amazing.

12. GTV0819

GTV0819 (Banned)

This is not surprising, considering the Suzuki Escudo Dirt Trial Car from the late 90s already produced a mind-numbing 995PS from its own 2.5L twin-turbo V6 back then but of course, that wasn't a road car.

13. Griffith500

Griffith500

Which itself wasn't a patch on the first turbo era in F1.

I suppose I just wonder if this wouldn't have been more interesting (to me) without the turbos, electric motors and battery pack.

14. Danoff

Danoff Premium

It's very interesting, but I just can't get on-board with the center driving position. I get that it's more optimal for driving, but it's not as optimal for sharing the experience.

15. ProjectWHaT

ProjectWHaT

Behind the scenes of how the press photos were taken

16. TheCracker

TheCracker Premium

An 'in-house developed' 2.88ltr twin turbo V8 with a 11,000rpm red line? Wonder what sort of warranty they'll offer with that?

17. Crash

Crash Premium

Was curious about the manufacturing process after reading the article and watched this video. Really just a combination of 3D printed parts bolted together in a cell rather than on a line. They're taking advantage of 3D printing yielding more intricate shapes than conventional casting or forging with a milled finish (neat), though I'm curious on their 3D print material properties over a milled forging. The robotic assembly cell in lieu of assembly line makes sense for small scale production. The specialization of labor allowed by an assembly line is still going to be more efficient for mass production. Robotic placement and joining of chassis components is not new, major automakers do it today in weld shops on an assembly line. A lot of hype in the video.

--

The article says the chassis is 3D printed carbon nanotubes. I can't find any other reference to that; would be curious to better understand if the 3D printed carbon is really of the nanotube variety or chopped fiber or continuous fiber or something else?

Also, I would not expect a car made using more conventional manufacturing methods to weigh significantly more.

18. ProjectWHaT

ProjectWHaT