"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm stumped, maybe intermediate are way better and PD is starting us on heavy wets in order to force a tire stop on us and eliminate no stopping?

No clue. I did a test race, 8 laps with the Huracan at dawn rain on heavy wet. My best lap a 2:10 without any AI in the way (they are fast on the straight, run stock settings I guess, still brake weird, I finished 4th). Then the game crashed at the finish hmm. Trying intermediates next.

My best lap in IM was 2:10 again, however with drafting on the straight and more experience, so if anything intermediates are a bit slower. They have less tire wear though, about half of the heavy wets so the last couple laps are a bit faster. Not that there's all that much tire wear in 8 laps but the back wheels in the Huracan were down a bit. Not sure if it's safe in the rain to put brake balance forward to compensate...

Anyway 8 laps, way too few to make up the difference after a pit stop. The couple seconds you can gain in consistency doesn't seem worth making a pit stop.

Perhaps with a different car or different level of rain (different time) it might make a difference.

Last edited:
I’ll be racing in EMEA again today. Will probably focus on Race C with a few B’s here and there. One or two more good finishes and I’ll be low B/S. See you there!

No clue. I did a test race, 8 laps with the Huracan at dawn rain on heavy wet. My best lap a 2:10 without any AI in the way (they are fast on the straight, run stock settings I guess, still brake weird, I finished 4th). Then the game crashed at the finish hmm. Trying intermediates next.

My best lap in IM was 2:10 again, however with drafting on the straight and more experience, so if anything intermediates are a bit slower. They have less tire wear though, about half of the heavy wets so the last couple laps are a bit faster. Not that there's all that much tire wear in 8 laps but the back wheels in the Huracan were down a bit. Not sure if it's safe in the rain to put brake balance forward to compensate...

Anyway 8 laps, way too few to make up the difference after a pit stop. The couple seconds you can gain in consistency doesn't seem worth making a pit stop.

Perhaps with a different car or different level of rain (different time) it might make a difference.

is East Outer Loop the same as we did a couple of weeks ago? If so then i've done a few test laps on the wrong track :crazy: i've done the reverse version in the Merc AMG GT and managed a 2:06 AND it was on time trial so the settings would be wrong as well! What a dope!

edit: just found this uploaded today - i'm loving the dry start and then hitting the rain out of the tunnel!

Last edited:
is East Outer Loop the same as we did a couple of weeks ago? If so then i've done a few test laps on the wrong track :crazy: i've done the reverse version in the Merc AMG GT and managed a 2:06 AND it was on time trial so the settings would be wrong as well! What a dope!

edit: just found this uploaded today - i'm loving the dry start and then hitting the rain out of the tunnel!

Yes it's the same track as a couple weeks ago. The dry tunnel is probably what's causing the heavy wets to shred faster. GR.3 rain on heavy wets is not much slower than GR.4 in dry couple weeks ago. Braking distance is longer though and more sliding, more fun. The AI sucks, races on stock settings, brakes diagonally into T1, does the high speed turns all wrong and crawls through the hairpin. It seems like they're programmed to be in the way as much as possible :lol: Then simply gun past at the straight.

Making some progress... slowly but surely

Screenshot_20190929-175605_Chrome.jpg

Yes it's the same track as a couple weeks ago. The dry tunnel is probably what's causing the heavy wets to shred faster. GR.3 rain on heavy wets is not much slower than GR.4 in dry couple weeks ago. Braking distance is longer though and more sliding, more fun. The AI sucks, races on stock settings, brakes diagonally into T1, does the high speed turns all wrong and crawls through the hairpin. It seems like they're programmed to be in the way as much as possible :lol: Then simply gun past at the straight.

Just done a custom race and ‘dawn with rain’ is much drier than ‘noon with rain’ and twilight is about the same as noon but it looks really cool in the dark.
I came out of the tunnel at the start and aquaplaned all over the track at noon, like bambi on ice!

Edit: no wonder - when you change the race conditions it also changed my tyres to racing mediums ffs!!

Last edited:
Just done a custom race and ‘dawn with rain’ is much drier than ‘noon with rain’ and twilight is about the same as noon but it looks really cool in the dark.
I came out of the tunnel at the start and aquaplaned all over the track at noon, like bambi on ice!

Edit: no wonder - when you change the race conditions it also changed my tyres to racing mediums ffs!!

Doh, guess I'll test again at noon with heavy and intermediate tires. Try a maxed out LaFerrari in the GT League race ;) It catches some air coming out of the tunnel and aqua planes all over the place :)

Things are going pretty great so far. Aside from being punted a couple times I’ve won nearly every race I’ve entered in EMEA. Most were easy wins but I had a couple very nice battles with an Austrian and a Brit who were B/S and C/S drivers respectively. I can already tell things are going to be cleaner here...so it seems anyway.

14 races, 11 wins. B/S after 11 races, including the first 5 that don’t earn you any points. Just under 6 hours of driving time, including a few circuit experiences for cash.

A few more good wins without losses in between and I should start seeing some A/S guys. I’ve been qualifying on this account rather than racing from the back, in an effort to get myself out of these lower lobbies. I have a feeling I’m going to get stuck in upper B or lower A since the competition here is pretty tough.

BCE4553E-0E79-411A-A8EB-1AD350F09609.jpeg

I was thinking about running the first set all race and then pulling into the pits on the final lap to take the new tires as you cross the line in the pits. :)

You like to run the rumble strips for extra speed, where as I try to go diagonally corner to corner and exploiting the turning angle, I catch you in a few places but I tend to mess up my braking points by not being able to slow down in time to make them.
The book you mentioned, is that by Ross?

Last edited:
Race C next week will be no stop but if you do chose to pit you can only put on the inters, that's what all that means. It does not mean you have to stop, infact it even says mandatory stop is none, just above this info. ;)

I've been really busy, but as soon as I get some time to play I'm jumping straight into race B at Bathurst on my alt account. I'm really not helping myself get out of B/B on that account, but whatever. :lol:

@Winnie847 didn't know you had an EMEA account, send me a friend request if you'd like to. Main account PSN is in my signature ;)

Yes I’d prefer you to test as well as I’m doubting myself now.
Also noticed the wipers turn off when you go under the tunnel 👍

I don't have any wipers :( not even a windshield.

Turns out all 3 races have different rain settings. Dawn the lightest, Noon heaviest and twilight somewhere in between.

I drove all 3 versions times 2, Noon heavy, IM, Twilight IM, heavy, Dawn IM, heavy, in that order. I already got my practice at dawn earlier so did that one last this time. All with the Huracan, BOP, TCS 2, ABS default.

Here are my results against the AI (fuel x2, tires x4, pro AI, start 20th, no boost, real everything else) Dawn, Noon then Twilight.
caTg769.jpg

Intermediate tires are only slightly more consistent at dawn in the last couple laps, useless at the other times, do not pit.

I would like to report E. Hester for sticking a nose in at T2, causing me to spin over his bumper into the inside wall and giving me 2 x 5 sec penalties :lol: Racing from the back against the 'pro' AI is more like learning their patterns than reading the situation. It's the same every race :irked: except sometimes they speed up after you pass them.

Noon is definitely the most challenging with lots of sliding and very little visibility behind the pack. Twilight is very pretty and already feels a lot more stable while dawn almost felt like normal racing after the other two.

Last edited:
I don't have any wipers :( not even a windshield.

Turns out all 3 races have different rain settings. Dawn the lightest, Noon heaviest and twilight somewhere in between.

I drove all 3 versions times 2, Noon heavy, IM, Twilight IM, heavy, Dawn IM, heavy, in that order. I already got my practice at dawn earlier so did that one last this time. All with the Huracan, BOP, TCS 2, ABS default.

Here are my results against the AI (fuel x2, tires x4, pro AI, start 20th, no boost, real everything else) Dawn, Noon then Twilight.
caTg769.jpg

Intermediate tires are only slightly more consistent at dawn in the last couple laps, useless at the other times, do not pit.

I would like to report E. Hester for sticking a nose in at T2, causing me to spin over his bumper into the inside wall and giving me 2 x 5 sec penalties :lol: Racing from the back against the 'pro' AI is more like learning their patterns than reading the situation. It's the same every race :irked: except sometimes they speed up after you pass them.

Noon is definitely the most challenging with lots of sliding and very little visibility behind the pack. Twilight is very pretty and already feels a lot more stable while dawn almost felt like normal racing after the other two.
Spot on 👍 thanks for that. I did noon and dawn again and once you do them in succession it’s evident there’s a massive difference.
That Hester is a filthy animal. I had E. Estrada in my race - those who are old enough will remember him in CHiPs :lol:

I've been really busy, but as soon as I get some time to play I'm jumping straight into race B at Bathurst on my alt account. I'm really not helping myself get out of B/B on that account, but whatever. :lol:

@Winnie847 didn't know you had an EMEA account, send me a friend request if you'd like to. Main account PSN is in my signature ;)

I just started the account yesterday, I’m about 7 hours into it. Trying to get my DR up quickly to join the fast-ish guys, but today is the last time I’ll have for several days. I sent you a request!

You like to run the rumble strips for extra speed, where as I try to go diagonally corner to corner and exploiting the turning angle, I catch you in a few places but I tend to mess up my braking points by not being able to slow down in time to make them.
The book you mentioned, is that by Ross?

Yes, Ross Bentley I believe. I just try to use every last piece of real estate that I can possibly use without it resulting in a penalty, even if it means 2 wheels well into the grass. :)

I just started the account yesterday, I’m about 7 hours into it. Trying to get my DR up quickly to join the fast-ish guys, but today is the last time I’ll have for several days. I sent you a request!

Its possible to get to A+ no quali style in emea. It works in emea because of the depth. (also 🤬 regions).

Once you reach a DR level PD will match you with that (DR?) level even if you dont qualify. So as long as you can overtake most if not all A drivers in a race you'll get A+ soon enough - it helps your DR if there are a few slower A+ drivers in the race as well.

Apart from having the ability the trick is in chosing the best races for overtaking.

Its possible to get to A+ no quali style in emea. It works in emea because of the depth. (also 🤬 regions).

Once you reach a DR level PD will match you with that (DR?) level even if you dont qualify. So as long as you can overtake most if not all A drivers in a race you'll get A+ soon enough - it helps your DR if there are a few slower A+ drivers in the race as well.

Apart from having the ability the trick is in chosing the best races for overtaking.

I plan on doing some no qualy racing on that account once I get the DR up a little more. Doing some now on my main account actually, Race C. Nabbed a podium so far. Getting my last few races in before they change and my work week starts.

Apparently you can turn into people intentionally to give them a penalty.

Don't think this guy has done it with that in mind though.

Sorry but I think it's the correct call. The driver ahead probably thought you'd let off since you were not successful in your draft pass.

You put both cars in a dangerous position heading into the turn. The driver ahead cut inside too early probably not expecting you to be there.

At best it's an even call. But because you end up ahead, a penalty was handed to you. The penalty probably wouldn't have activated if you gave the spot back right away.

The penalty was for the position gained not the contact.

Last edited:
^ That is one of those situations that are different in different racing series.

For F1 it's: the attacker must be at least halfway alongside the defender when they reach the apex to have a reasonable claim to this piece of track. Moreover, the attacker should not have achieved this position by carrying too much speed to make the corner — this method is called dive-bombing.

You are the attacker and lost the corner at 0:31, you would not have been halfway alongside at the apex since you fell behind. The collision happens quite a way before the apex though, unsure.

Other rules state that if your nose is at least up to the C pillar at turn in, the other car must leave room. Of course turn in also a vague concept, the other car starts turning in rather early while an inside line naturally has a later turn in point.

GTS simply states no contact and gives a penalty when one car goes off after contact. Plus there is always the fact that even if you have the right to a piece of track, the other car can't simply disappear. And cutting someone off like what happened here makes you look bad, which is a big no no in GT Sport.

Still imo you should have backed out before the corner and definitely when you started braking and fell behind. You lifted off the brakes and the collision followed. You were too far behind to legit win that corner and the only thing you could achieve is slowing both of you down while the other car still has the advantage at the next corner.

In this case, the penalty system is not all that wrong.

Done racing for a few days. I ended the night racing on my main account from the back. Grabbed a P2, P3 and P4. Here’s my favorite pass of the night.

Caught up to this guy at 130R and we had a drag race down the front straight. He went in too hot and I cut under him between T1 & T2. Had several races with this guy and he was squeaky clean. Cheers!

Sorry but I think it's the correct call. The driver ahead probably thought you'd let off since you were not successful in your draft pass.

You put both cars in a dangerous position heading into the turn. The driver ahead cut inside too early probably not expecting you to be there.

That's what the radar is for you know. While I agree that the situation is a bit controversial I think that blaming me for the other guy's lack of situational awareness is a bit too much. I think it's entirely possible to go through there alongside if both players look out for one another. This would have easily slowed him down enough to let me pass and have the edge for the corner ahead. I know this because I tend to behave like that when I am in the disadvantegous outside position. But then I guess expecting others to act by my own standards is quite naive.

At best it's an even call. But because you end up ahead, a penalty was handed to you. The penalty probably wouldn't have activated if you gave the spot back right away.

The penalty was for the position gained not the contact.
The penalty is for pushing another car off the track. Giving back the position would not help, I think.

A tale of two daily Race B setups.

Red Bull Ring (2 weeks ago)
945C8C39-C758-48B4-9234-4B6A36282AFC.jpeg

Brands Hatch
DA3FBCF0-AB02-4E92-8DFC-F21CEB3F4973.jpeg

Really pleased with this week’s races. Majority of them were very clean, and it felt like I really got the rhythm of Brands down well. Hopefully next week continues with great races!
———

Apparently you can turn into people intentionally to give them a penalty.

Don't think this guy has done it with that in mind though.

This is literally a carbon copy of that one person in the Super GT video that won’t be named. Of course in this instance it doesn’t look intentional from the other driver.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back