"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
My landlord let me know today that a fix has been made to the WiFi - apparently the company FORGOT to switch it from 100 to 500mbps. Well, that put in mind the prospect of daily races, after a good full couple of months without any real action. I hooked up to the WiFi but it wasn't having it. Felt pretty dejected that I couldn't race... and then... I tried the upstairs router, which my PS4 always seems to list first. Bam, 1.5mbps a USABLE connection.

Decided to test with Brand's Hatch, a dearly beloved track of mine. I whipped out the Aston (not a great car here I know, but nice TPC livery...) and jumped straight in, setting a sloppy 1.32.3 in the three laps or so I did whilst waiting. Enough to qualify 4th in an all DR/D room, the rank I've ended up at after dropping down from B rank purely due to disconnections (peep my KudosPrime for an absolute horror show of a DR graph).

The race was very tense. Not because of any of the action, mind, I quickly started to pull away from the Huracan behind, and the Megane ahead completely lost the rear the first time through Graham Hill (that's T3) and I slipped past for P3. Something must have gone on behind me as I had about a 6 second gap by the end of lap 1, but I wasn't on the leaders' pace and just trundled away on my own. No, the race was tense because I anticipated a disconnection and consequential DR drop at any moment. But... nothing. No lag, cross the line P3, results confirmed, I get my points. I can't describe how wonderful of a relief that was, just to have raceable internet again.

With that done and my spirits very much raised, I decided to take a peep at Race A, doing a couple of qualifying laps to finish off my daily mileage. I really tend to get on with these old-road-car, slow-and-smooth type of races, and I put in a 1.02.084 after about a five or six minute session. So, why not jump in for a race. I got put in P6, square in the middle of the grid, went out to warm up, and got ready to race.

Then, something strange happened. Well, actually, nothing happened. We all sat there on the grid completely motionless. After what felt like abnormally long, I started looking around to see if I was lagging out, but everyone was waggling their wheels and flashing their lights and revving their engines. A couple of people started to quit the lobby, but I wanted to see where this went. After 6 out of 12 cars had left the lobby, the countdown suddenly started, and I, wobbling the throttle at around 1/3 revs as always, got a fantastic start against a very surprised field. I shot up into 3rd (admittedly, 4th and 5th had left, so I only passed one car) and started slinging the laps in. Got a nice battle in with a Spaniard, loving the no penalties there to be quite honest. He pushed me narrow and got me a .5 but it was totally inconsequential. Another Spaniard got involved in the battle and I managed to find space to bring it home in 2nd.

But man, what a weird start. Easily a full minute or more just sat there on the grid. Ahh, GT Sport, I missed the shenanigans.
Delighted to hear you can race again!

@O604 it was great to see you on the track. Good race. I just had another with @sturk0167 we had a great race/battle and gapped the field by more than 2 seconds for 1 and 2 finish.

Again, sturk, that was a great race man. Those races are why i can't stay away from this game or sport mode :cheers::gtpflag:
Thank you. Fun racing!
I know what you mean. It's nice that every once in a while, you can have a situation like that, where you can just do your thing, without fear of getting killed by the car behind you.

Two reasons that I decided to stick to my line and stay high on the entry to the final turn. 1: Hugging the bottom line gives you no momentum for the straight. 2: Since it was you, I figured if you can choose a different line and beat me with it, more power to you. I'd be happy for you.👍
If it were someone I didn't know, I certainly would've taken a different approach. :lol:

Good racing. :)

Amazingly close times on the Race A leaderboard. I'm always up for a bit of K' Speed Score gaming, so couldn't resist doing this one on all my accounts. On one account I did 1:00.55, 127th in EMEA. On another account, 1:00.58, 158th in EMEA! 0.675% slower than TRL_ADAM will do nicely for the speed score.

I think I'm more surprised that anyone with an R4M tag wasn't crashing people. Oh, wait... :lol:

How much time are you guys picking up switching to Manuel transmissions? I have the day off and I'm going to dedicate it to learning how to drive Spa in the rain and relearn the Manuel transmission. I used it in the last GT game and just never bothered with gr sport. I wish I'd started right off using it but I kept putting it off until now.

Can't help you. Been using M/T from the start.

But man, what a weird start. Easily a full minute or more just sat there on the grid. Ahh, GT Sport, I missed the shenanigans.

Truly wacky story there, Max. :crazy:

How much time are you guys picking up switching to Manuel transmissions? I have the day off and I'm going to dedicate it to learning how to drive Spa in the rain and relearn the Manuel transmission. I used it in the last GT game and just never bothered with gr sport. I wish I'd started right off using it but I kept putting it off until now.
It depends on the car and track. Some cars benefit from being shifted at different rpm to where the game shifts with auto gears, so with those cars, you're getting a direct loss of time with auto gears. Then there's the gear that you end up in for each corner, auto gears can put you in a different gear to the one you'd ideally like to be in. If you don't have either of these problems (I once tried some Gr.1 cars with auto gears at Interlagos, and I think at least two of them didn't really have either of these problems), then auto gears can actually be faster by freeing up some of your mental capacity to focus more on steering, braking and accelerating.

My landlord let me know today that a fix has been made to the WiFi - apparently the company FORGOT to switch it from 100 to 500mbps...

... Easily a full minute or more just sat there on the grid. Ahh, GT Sport, I missed the shenanigans.
Given that it takes your WiFi two full seconds to transfer a single bit of data, I'm not surprised you're finding issues. Semaphore would be quicker.

Given that it takes your WiFi two full seconds to transfer a single bit of data, I'm not surprised you're finding issues. Semaphore would be quicker.
I have, I assure you, repeatedly implored my stoker to work harder, but my router's steam pressure remains sub-par. However, somehow, it's working. No YouTube buffering at all, and two successful races without lag (I blame the odd start on the South African in the lobby! :P), I'm satisfied enough, especially after the pre-broadband hell I've been suffering through since November. The connection speeds honestly got so slow that nostalgia took over and I've become consumed with a strong desire to relive my dial-up childhood and play DOOM and DOOM II...

I've set up an alternate account so I can race the daily's without worrying about DR. I'd forgotten how bad the background music is :lol:
Not going to set lap times for now or take the win from genuine newbies.
It is quite liberating not having to worry about DR etc 👍
Definatley GTA/NFS type drivers in E group, hopefully they'll learn over time
:gtpflag:

What an absolute delight Race C at Spa is. I ran 3 races, and lost DR in the first race but I just don’t care about DR. Race C is by far the most fun I’ve had ever since I started playing GTS!

Race 2 started 17th, finished 10th, got CRB, DR up.

Race 3 started 17th, was up to 9th after the kemmel straight, got punted to last, finished the race 10th. Got CRB and DR up.

This is incredible fun. And I love the little Peugeot.

Just did race C using IM tyres it's it's pretty easy I didn't push because it's still my 2nd time racing in the wet .I did 240.9 on IM & managed 15 laps in test with a consistent 141.5.
I was expecting a 142/43 in the race I started 7th.
Race start was normal mess so I did my normal let the group go through the 1st set of corner try relax & get into the race. I was fun let the one to close pass me then passed them back later.
I didn't stop but saw a few pit stops people on W.
Near the end of race, I was P4 after being slowed down to much until I was caught my another driver which I didn't fight & let it through, shame I did it slowed me down & my no penalties race change to .5sec penalty for to much corner cut, my fault make it worst I did it on the very last corner no & didn't brake enough to loose . So yea it's now 1sec :lol::lol::lol:

I've set up an alternate account so I can race the daily's without worrying about DR. I'd forgotten how bad the background music is :lol:
Not going to set lap times for now or take the win from genuine newbies.
It is quite liberating not having to worry about DR etc 👍
Definatley GTA/NFS type drivers in E group, hopefully they'll learn over time
:gtpflag:

Maybe I need to do this to improve my own happiness, haha.

So the time I found staying in 4th for Eau Rouge, comes at a fuel cost. Really cutting it close on fuel in the RSR now, last race I had .1 left. That was with easing up on final lap for safety.

Just did race C using IM tyres it's it's pretty easy I didn't push because it's still my 2nd time racing in the wet .I did 240.9 on IM & managed 15 laps in test with a consistent 141.5.
I was expecting a 142/43 in the race I started 7th.
Race start was normal mess so I did my normal let the group go through the 1st set of corner try relax & get into the race. I was fun let the one to close pass me then passed them back later.
I didn't stop but saw a few pit stops people on W.
Near the end of race, I was P4 after being slowed down to much until I was caught my another driver which I didn't fight & let it through, shame I did it slowed me down & my no penalties race change to .5sec penalty for to much corner cut, my fault make it worst I did it on the very last corner no & didn't brake enough to loose . So yea it's now 1sec :lol::lol::lol:

How were your lap times relative to W’s?

Last edited:
Ok so I tried out the rain at Spa. Qualifying with an 1.38.7 with the Auto. Started 7th and couldnt get out of the corners, got put off the track, then ran out of gas with two corners left. I finished a humiliating 12th.

Well I'm still getting the hang of it but knocked my qualifying time down to 1.38.290 with the manual transmission. I wish I'd switched sooner.

I got disconnected in the last race so I'm going to try it again. I will say, I feel much more in control now incase of wheel spin and corner exits. No odd gear shifts right before braking zones, mid turn, or that dreaded 1st to 2nd as soon as you start to accelerate.

Plus the ability to save fuel easier is rather nice.

So the time I found staying in 4th for Eau Rouge, comes at a fuel cost. Really cutting it close on fuel in the RSR now, last race Im

How were your lap times relative to W’s?

The last race I use higher gears in the corners.
With Eau Rouge I tried both 4th & 5th, 4th was better but I didn't watch my fuel at that point.
I did a lot of short shifting never went full revs.
My best lap that I didn't slow down to much & less nervous was lap 4 @ 2:42.4. SL 2:45.8 I know big difference for 1st few laps.
I wish I could get over this nervousness & feeling I am going to be get hit by the car behind.

FL was 2:40.2 that driver SL 2:45.5 by P1

On another point:

Watching the reply & other drivers in the same car to see there tyre wear & fuel.
One pitted for fuel & tyres W to IM
P1 was on W & fuel & tyres less than mine.
Some say it's the car but it's mainly how you drive that make you have to pit & not push.
Maybe its because I have a wheel.
We need longer pit stops

Soo after a week of focusing on the FIA races I also tried the Daily Race C at a wet Spa circuit.
Did about three practice laps so the first quali went as well as you'd expect :D Did a 36.7 I think and started in P12. Gained some ground in the first lap and was P8 I think before hitting the car in front slightly coming on the start finish straight which sent me way down the grid. It was damage limitation and finished P11 after all. As I was car #4 I gained the grand total of 21 DR points.

Before race 2 I did one quali lap which was a 35.5 and started P9 as car #8.
Race started exceptionally well as I spun right at the exit of turn 1 on the first lap. I think I was P16 at that point. Luckily from then on I did not make any other mistakes like this and after several overtakes and some other players losing it I was able to finish in P7. This gave me about 450 DR points and I'm now only 399 points away of A+. Hopefully that'll be done tomorrow!

BTW, used the Porsche and had no problems with tire wear or fuel. Did not have to save fuel at all.

The last race I use higher gears in the corners.
With Eau Rouge I tried both 4th & 5th, 4th was better but I didn't watch my fuel at that point.
I did a lot of short shifting never went full revs.
My best lap that I didn't slow down to much & less nervous was lap 4 @ 2:42.4. SL 2:45.8 I know big difference for 1st few laps.
I wish I could get over this nervousness & feeling I am going to be get hit by the car behind.

FL was 2:40.2 that driver SL 2:45.5 by P1

On another point:

Watching the reply & other drivers in the same car to see there tyre wear & fuel.
One pitted for fuel & tyres W to IM
P1 was on W & fuel & tyres less than mine.
Some say it's the car but it's mainly how you drive that make you have to pit & not push.
Maybe its because I have a wheel.
We need longer pit stops

Yeah wheel makes a big difference with being smooth which equals much better tire wear. We’re the IM’s faster?

Yeah wheel makes a big difference with being smooth which equals much better tire wear. We’re the IM’s faster?

Yes I felt good on them when my head was straight.
Tyres wear was basically nothing, I just made sure not to spin my wheel & not to slid.
No TC needed, I just need to get my apex better & not slow down to early some laps.
I am only a DR C, so for you expect I am still a fresh chicken.

Today, I conducted an important experiment: How does the Supra Gr. 4 stack up against a bunch of Megane Trophies at Brands Hatch?

After four races, and 2000 DR bucks later, I can confidently say: Not well at all. :lol:

Screenshot_20200123-142442_Samsung Internet.jpg

For me wets were faster but inter's felt quicker somehow. Maybe just on edge more.
Moot point tho as im not stopping in any case, my trusty 991 gets me round ok.

Two races today (first time this week). Both qually in 3rd on a 1:36.
First one i lose concentration, crash twice, and finish 9th. Second one keep my head finish 2nd but lap times all 1:38/39, need to work on race pace. Still, +2000 DR to 29k, my highest ever!! Few more good races and i should make it to DR A (before getting dumped down again straight away)

I have, I assure you, repeatedly implored my stoker to work harder, but my router's steam pressure remains sub-par. However, somehow, it's working. No YouTube buffering at all, and two successful races without lag (I blame the odd start on the South African in the lobby! :P), I'm satisfied enough, especially after the pre-broadband hell I've been suffering through since November. The connection speeds honestly got so slow that nostalgia took over and I've become consumed with a strong desire to relive my dial-up childhood and play DOOM and DOOM II...

I will be on the lookout for a profile named MaxDoom whenever Doom Eternal releases. :mischievous:

My timing has always generally been pretty good. Worst comes to worst I (or someone) could just ask daddy @Pigems for the room settings and open a second one.

He usually posts the settings the day of those events. It's usually just the bonus races that require settings. The first 6 races are just BoP applied daily races with the same tire settings as dailies.

Today, I conducted an important experiment: How does the Supra Gr. 4 stack up against a bunch of Megane Trophies at Brands Hatch?

After four races, and 2000 DR bucks later, I can confidently say: Not well at all. :lol:

View attachment 884293

Food for thought: I tried to qualify the Supra at Brands & it isn't as good as it's little brother, at least according to my instrumented testing. :lol:

A big heavy FR is good when they start pushing. I love it when they try to sideswipe me and end off themselves.

I have a Viper that begs to differ. But, it got hit right at the front axle location, so that likely had some influence on why I ended up in the sand trap & not the pusher.

I'm in the AMG GT3 hater camp. I want to like that car, but I can't make it go fast anywhere, ever. I find that it understeers horribly and no amount of BB fiddling makes it any better. It boggle my mind when I see fast laps from people using it.
I find it hard to go past the AMG because it seems to suit my driving style. I like to have a car that I can really lean on; a stable platform that doesn't give much oversteer until you really give it some. Yes, you may bemoan the understeer at times, but I like it that way. I can deal with understeer, but I can't deal with oversteer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back