"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got caught in a Newton's Cradle at Brands. Between Sheen and Stirling's, three abreast with me on the right. Car returning to the track from the left hits car on the left, car on the right (me) goes off track and the other two continue on their (more or less) merry way. It felt like I'd been deliberately sideswiped off the track but it was a only a racing incident. I wont call it an accident because everyone involved contributed to a small degree, but there was no malicious intent.

Up to 17K thanks to these 2 gifts that landed in my lap.
Nice consistent driving, but you need to thank the guys who led both races. Well done on you though.

Last edited:
I feel like Race C is a example of when the Fanatec belt and direct drives really shine.

I dialed in my wheel to match the steering feel of the 911 (light, precise, tons of detail) and the ability to feel the under/oversteer to a greater detail level gives a huge boost to confidence in the rain. That plus a load cell brake to finely control the car on entry, it’s really a game changer.

I think this is another area where the wheel really makes a difference. There's very little sound and zero feel for when the front end is hooked up on the DS4. It's more a visual thing. I think most people are carrying too much corner entry speed and the time just evaporates as you wait for the front end to come back.

Had a very good week at SPA, managed to raise my DR from 14.000 to 25.000(with the help of a 4th finish at Catalunya yesterday). It seems that it is very hard for most people to be consistent in the rain. Yesterday I finally had to take a break from it, as I experience some throttle issues with my G29 wheel.

I hope I manage to do it today, my target is A DR until the end of the week.

Day off work, so spent the morning hot lapping race A and B.

Race A - kinda clicked with the car straight away. BB -2 (Thanks @Mistah_MCA ) - 1:00.927 after about 30 miles for the daily car.
Race B - I find Brands tricky and just missed out on a sub-1:30 last time we here for the GR4 daily. I used the Alfa then, same again today. BB +1. Got myself a 1:29.728. Pleased with that. The time spent getting Brands gold on the Lewis TT event paid off!

Will go to Spa this afternoon.

I watched my spa replay again seeing who hit me and why if it was a accident or just bad driving or a ram, it was not a racing incident.
Anyway I noticed 1 driver do ok with IM tyres on, I watched this person because I noticed them pitting during the race.
Has anyone else tried to complete spa with IM tyres?
This was the driving I let pass me near the end off the race. I going to see if I can manage.

Managed to get 2 races in last night. Now 7 for 7 at Spa with #7 being nonstop pressure from 2nd. From lap 2-6 we maintained a 2.5-3sec gap matching sector times. I had three 1:36.8’s and two 1:37.1’s so we were flying. Pushing much harder would have resulted in errors so we were just in a dance off of sorts haha.

Lap 7 I think he made a error because I got the gap up to 5sec and nearly ran out of fuel. .1 at the line.

I think this is another area where the wheel really makes a difference. There's very little sound and zero feel for when the front end is hooked up on the DS4. It's more a visual thing. I think most people are carrying too much corner entry speed and the time just evaporates as you wait for the front end to come back.

100%. Having understeer on entry kills the lap and could easily cost you 4-6 seconds a lap easy.

Having a little corner entry oversteer is critical IMO. But finding that right balance of slip angle is tricky. That’s why I love the RSR, it has a natural rotation at entry but RR layout that’s slightly MR so corner exit grip/balance is great. I put most time on people in the 1st gear corners.

Last edited:
The lunatics are on the grass...... the lunatics are on the grass....So after my relative success at SpaTA, I figured I'd give Brands a go. I did some laps with the rexy, then a few others, then the corvette. I set a pretty crap time, but I was happy with the stability of the 'vette. I was a bit surprised to find myself starting P11/16... I was really expecting to start last of the qualifiers. Holy crap, it was many more Trophies than I was expecting.

The race starts and I'm expecting a bloodbath. Indeed, as it turns out, GTS is a contact sport :crazy:. I proceeded to lope my way around the track, and found that a) a lot of people were having a hard time staying on the track, with a lot of spin outs, and b) the track limits are *very* lax. A slophy had slowed to a crawl for one corner, so I went rally cross and passed on the inside... completely on the grass :eek:. No penalty? WTF :banghead:.

i continued to lope my way around, all casual like, and found myself in P5, harassing the slophy in P4. On the final lap another slophy crash banged his way though me... and picked up a penalty :lol:. I was out braked and kinda crash passed by another. That slowed me down and I couldn't get close enough to capitalise on the penalty. I finished P7 with a clean race bonus.. apparently anything that isn't sand, is track :lol:.

I was pretty impressed with how nicely the 'vette turns in. One guy finished with a red SR... he musta been *really* 🤬 trying to manage that!

SR blue, DR up 250ish. Day 1 of my visit to DR/C :scared:.

The lunatics are on the grass...... the lunatics are on the grass....So after my relative success at SpaTA, I figured I'd give Brands a go. I did some laps with the rexy, then a few others, then the corvette. I set a pretty crap time, but I was happy with the stability of the 'vette. I was a bit surprised to find myself starting P11/16... I was really expecting to start last of the qualifiers. Holy crap, it was many more Trophies than I was expecting.

The race starts and I'm expecting a bloodbath. Indeed, as it turns out, GTS is a contact sport :crazy:. I proceeded to lope my way around the track, and found that a) a lot of people were having a hard time staying on the track, with a lot of spin outs, and b) the track limits are *very* lax. A slophy had slowed to a crawl for one corner, so I went rally cross and passed on the inside... completely on the grass :eek:. No penalty? WTF :banghead:.

i continued to lope my way around, all casual like, and found myself in P5, harassing the slophy in P4. On the final lap another slophy crash banged his way though me... and picked up a penalty :lol:. I was out braked and kinda crash passed by another. That slowed me down and I couldn't get close enough to capitalise on the penalty. I finished P7 with a clean race bonus.. apparently anything that isn't sand, is track :lol:.

I was pretty impressed with how nicely the 'vette turns in. One guy finished with a red SR... he musta been *really* 🤬 trying to manage that!

SR blue, DR up 250ish. Day 1 of my visit to DR/C :scared:.

You should try the Mustang, it turns in best in Gr 4! :D :D :P

I use the AMG GT3 because a) I'm very familiar with it and b) I find it quite stable, which gives me a lot of confidence.

I'm in the AMG GT3 hater camp. I want to like that car, but I can't make it go fast anywhere, ever. I find that it understeers horribly and no amount of BB fiddling makes it any better. It boggle my mind when I see fast laps from people using it.

I'm in the AMG GT3 hater camp. I want to like that car, but I can't make it go fast anywhere, ever. I find that it understeers horribly and no amount of BB fiddling makes it any better. It boggle my mind when I see fast laps from people using it.

Perversely I find it reasonably fast and easy everywhere. Never the fastest but always competitive and consistent. Generally with BB never more than +/- 1

I couldn't stay away any longer. I needed the racing. three A races so far, and not bad. got into a good crowd were I know half the names. one dirty bugger who took me down first lap first race, the other two were great battles up front with one or two guys I have had many good runs with. the dirty boy seemed to be dealt with by the folks starting with him in the following two races from the first. everyone seemed to know he was dirty... hope this keeps up

I couldn't stay away any longer. I needed the racing. three A races so far, and not bad. got into a good crowd were I know half the names. one dirty bugger who took me down first lap first race, the other two were great battles up front with one or two guys I have had many good runs with. the dirty boy seemed to be dealt with by the folks starting with him in the following two races from the first. everyone seemed to know he was dirty... hope this keeps up

Vigilantes have been interesting watch. Not so much in the dailies -- but in FIA last night, there was a guy who punted his way to the top 3 in the first few laps, and then every chance someone got they pushed him off the track. He ended up as a DNF, and in the chat after the race it was clear that he was a known entity with people thanking each other for taking care of him.

How much time are you guys picking up switching to Manuel transmissions? I have the day off and I'm going to dedicate it to learning how to drive Spa in the rain and relearn the Manuel transmission. I used it in the last GT game and just never bothered with gr sport. I wish I'd started right off using it but I kept putting it off until now.

How much time are you guys picking up switching to Manuel transmissions? I have the day off and I'm going to dedicate it to learning how to drive Spa in the rain and relearn the Manuel transmission. I used it in the last GT game and just never bothered with gr sport. I wish I'd started right off using it but I kept putting it off until now.

I'd go to a track you know really well (and car, too) and practice, and you'll probably pick it up pretty quickly. For me, that happened to be Big Willow because that was the daily race that week and I was having some success. I gained a second or so of lap time from being able to pick my shifts there, eventually. I think the hardest thing is downshift...even now, I sometimes downshift too far/too early and cause the wheels to spin unnecessarily. I did a bunch going into the chicane at Cataluyna last night.

Edit -- to add, I'd pick something easier than Spa in the rain to learn, honestly. If you downshift too early, you're going to spin hard.

.5 to a second depending on the track and car, some combos even more actually.

I agree with the above comment about starting on a easy for you combo, just to get the feel back. I also find sometimes, that running hard laps in auto first helps me figuer out some of my gearing for corners. Like if the car is up or down a gear from where you want it, you then know what is going to be your target for that corner in manual.

Lol I love the Merc , I have so much fun with it & hardly use BB, I do need to practice using it and change my settings per corner if needed.

Tried Spa. Took a while to get the hang of the wet track.

First car, Renault RS01 - 02:37.839. BB -2. Was reasonably happy with that.
Second car, Porsche - 02:37.419. BB -2. Its just way easier to put the power down. More consistent in it too.

Time left of the table with both cars, but if I come back to Spa at the weekend I'll jump straight in the Porsche.

Actually having some good racing today. The best I've seen sporsmanship wise since the penalties stopped. I was goona just do one last one but @sturk0167 showed up so i guess I'll do a few more. Always nice to get a chance to share the track with friends, and at least i know if another dirty bird sneaks into the room, I'll get a good show lol

Tried Spa. Took a while to get the hang of the wet track.

First car, Renault RS01 - 02:37.839. BB -2. Was reasonably happy with that.
Second car, Porsche - 02:37.419. BB -2. Its just way easier to put the power down. More consistent in it too.

Time left of the table with both cars, but if I come back to Spa at the weekend I'll jump straight in the Porsche.

As you get used to the RSR you can dial BB to the back. You’ll find more time.

My landlord let me know today that a fix has been made to the WiFi - apparently the company FORGOT to switch it from 100 to 500mbps. Well, that put in mind the prospect of daily races, after a good full couple of months without any real action. I hooked up to the WiFi but it wasn't having it. Felt pretty dejected that I couldn't race... and then... I tried the upstairs router, which my PS4 always seems to list first. Bam, 1.5mbps a USABLE connection.

Decided to test with Brand's Hatch, a dearly beloved track of mine. I whipped out the Aston (not a great car here I know, but nice TPC livery...) and jumped straight in, setting a sloppy 1.32.3 in the three laps or so I did whilst waiting. Enough to qualify 4th in an all DR/D room, the rank I've ended up at after dropping down from B rank purely due to disconnections (peep my KudosPrime for an absolute horror show of a DR graph).

The race was very tense. Not because of any of the action, mind, I quickly started to pull away from the Huracan behind, and the Megane ahead completely lost the rear the first time through Graham Hill (that's T3) and I slipped past for P3. Something must have gone on behind me as I had about a 6 second gap by the end of lap 1, but I wasn't on the leaders' pace and just trundled away on my own. No, the race was tense because I anticipated a disconnection and consequential DR drop at any moment. But... nothing. No lag, cross the line P3, results confirmed, I get my points. I can't describe how wonderful of a relief that was, just to have raceable internet again.

With that done and my spirits very much raised, I decided to take a peep at Race A, doing a couple of qualifying laps to finish off my daily mileage. I really tend to get on with these old-road-car, slow-and-smooth type of races, and I put in a 1.02.084 after about a five or six minute session. So, why not jump in for a race. I got put in P6, square in the middle of the grid, went out to warm up, and got ready to race.

Then, something strange happened. Well, actually, nothing happened. We all sat there on the grid completely motionless. After what felt like abnormally long, I started looking around to see if I was lagging out, but everyone was waggling their wheels and flashing their lights and revving their engines. A couple of people started to quit the lobby, but I wanted to see where this went. After 6 out of 12 cars had left the lobby, the countdown suddenly started, and I, wobbling the throttle at around 1/3 revs as always, got a fantastic start against a very surprised field. I shot up into 3rd (admittedly, 4th and 5th had left, so I only passed one car) and started slinging the laps in. Got a nice battle in with a Spaniard, loving the no penalties there to be quite honest. He pushed me narrow and got me a .5 but it was totally inconsequential. Another Spaniard got involved in the battle and I managed to find space to bring it home in 2nd.

But man, what a weird start. Easily a full minute or more just sat there on the grid. Ahh, GT Sport, I missed the shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back