"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, as others have said Race B is an absolute travesty of drivers being overly aggressive without the penalty system. Ran two races while driving incredibly conservatively and had to avoid countless wrecks of other drivers barging and shunting each other.

The latest instalment. These first two clips show what you've got to look forward to.

This third clip is what you can now get away with in the current incarnation of GT Sport. It's borderline pointless.

These are all DR A/A+/S SR S lobbies. The driver above is DR S SR S

I’ve got the day off tomorrow and was gonna race from the back on race c. After watching your vids, I think I’ll give it a miss.

I’ve got the day off tomorrow and was gonna race from the back on race c. After watching your vids, I think I’ll give it a miss.

I'll post up some full races from today.

They weren't all horrible but they were all bumpy. I'm operating on the basis I'll be clean as much as I can, unless someone does me first. Then they can have some, too.

Run through to 7th. It's nudgy. As ever, unsettling the car infront seems to be a legit target, as does the punt to pass, and using the car in front as auxiliary brakes.

Last edited:
Last week was inexplicably very good for me. I thought by the weekend people would be qualifying much higher at Spa and the really good drivers would get on and my luck would be over, but I was consistently on pole or in the top 3, and almost always winning or getting on the podium, apart from two races where I made major mistakes. Part of me wants to believe it was because of the absurd rolling start where only the person on pole doesn't have to deal with the chicane, but my lap times were still 1-2 seconds under the cars behind me. I don't know why. I'm average at Spa in dry conditions in Gr.3, and the only other wet Daily Race I did was a couple months ago on Tokyo Expressway, and I was average at that as well.

I gained 20,000 DR just this past week.

Anyway, I did Daily Race B a bit today and it's been pretty good. I'm consistently gaining positions, and dirty driving isn't too bad so far. Weirdly, I think all of that rain driving made me a better all-around driver in dry conditions; even the smallest mistakes in the wet will ruin your consistency, and I got very good at avoiding those at Spa last week. Now I find myself automatically applying that smooth driving to dry conditions, and again, I feel much less prone to small mistakes in the dry as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 2.36.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 2.36.38 PM.png
    14 KB · Views: 19
Decided to put everything into one race B today.. Did an awesome Q lap with Wet Weather tires , only 1 lap was all I needed to set a 2:10:XX. Thought I should better change those tires and give it a another try, kid wanted my attention, forgot about the race..

Returned to a loading screen.. The race was about to start (you see where this is going).. Did a quick change to proper tires and raced into the warm up and got a cool 40 second taste of the car and track..

This is going to be good!

Race starts and to my surprise I am 2nd on the front row.. What!

And behind me nothing.. 2 players on track...

After a few corners I passed the polesitter and made huge mistakes over the next 4 laps and still took home my 3rd victory in the past few weeks. And fastest lap..

Just the usual Monday-stuff for me: Set Q-Laps and do a few races without too much effort.

I set a 1:06.9 for Tsukuba. But since Tsukuba feels as comfortable as it felt getting a wisdom tooth drilled out of my jawbone (I don‘t like this track) I‘ll avoid it. Again.

In the Eifel Mountains I did one race without Qualifying driving the M6 and it was a mess: If you don‘t get caught in other drivers brawls then you have these accidentally S-Rated drivers with TCS at maximum weave-blocking at straights and keeping you from passing no matter how slow they are. I set a Q lap afterwards with the R8 which lead to a 2:02. The next race was cleaner though it still was not racing but rather „be fast and dodge flying Beetles and WRX‘s“. I‘ll try the Huracan tomorrow.

in California I‘m down to 1:45.9. An interesting combination. The car feels good yet challenging. But I also think this track will shine a limelight on all the Kamikaze drivers and lead to dirty races. I‘ll try it on wednesday (earliest).

I am fast enough to make regretting punting me

....and where does the vicious cycle end? You get punted, so you punt back, the guy behind you doesn't know you are extracting your revenge, so he punts you for being a punter (in his eyes)....and so on....and so on....and so on... and some point, someone has to stop this madness, before all that's left are the dirty drivers because all the fair and sportsmanlike drivers are tired of playing the GT Sport version of Wreckfest...

....and where does the vicious cycle end? You get punted, so you punt back, the guy behind you doesn't know you are extracting your revenge, so he punts you for being a punter (in his eyes)....and so on....and so on....and so on... and some point, someone has to stop this madness, before all that's left are the dirty drivers because all the fair and sportsmanlike drivers are tired of playing the GT Sport version of Wreckfest...
Ends with me punting, you won't be fast enough to catch me

Ends with me punting, you won't be fast enough to catch me

Perhaps that's where it ends, for you, in that race. But in terms of the overall quality of racing, and the (d)evolving mindset of the competitors in this game, it's really just continuing the problem, as I see it anyway. The old adage of 'two wrongs don't make a right' seems to apply from a sportsmanship point of view, at least.

Perhaps that's where it ends, for you, in that race. But in terms of the overall quality of racing, and the (d)evolving mindset of the competitors in this game, it's really just continuing the problem, as I see it anyway. The old adage of 'two wrongs don't make a right' seems to apply from a sportsmanship point of view, at least.
It never does, you can never tell what the person behind you is thinking. Playing this game for a while though, you see a lot of familiar names. Most know someone. It is a risk in every race, but if you don't race, you have nothing to worry about.

Oh dear, a grid start with identical cars is an absolute disaster when nobody knows how to be cautious. Race C is just carnage for the first lap or so, and the first corner is a joke. Everyone hits each other and it's impossible to get a clean run unless you've started in the top 3. I wasn't able to do that, so I lost positions each time I started. I got punted down to 15th on one occasion, and somehow got a penalty. What is this, racing or ping pong? Each start was just stupid. My position wasn't helped by my qualifying time, and I had to improve after the first two races. I set a 1:44.200, which was a full second quicker than my previous best. That got me into 6th place. Even though I had the best line, I still got pushed back to 8th. A few laps later, I got up to 4th place and tried chasing down the leaders. I didn't have the pace the catch up, and missed out on a podium by 0.3 seconds. This only happened because the guy in third got a 1 second penalty. I was happy with that after finishing 12th and 10th in the first 2 races.

Race C is just carnage for the first lap or so, and the first corner is a joke.
I’m really enjoying race C from the back. The first lap is just comedy to watch, but then it settles down. I wasn’t looking forward to this weeks races, I’m pretty weak at the N class cars, (and race B sounds terrifying under current penalty system) but the Honda and Laguna go really well together. Now just got to work on getting under 1:45. My T3 and T5 need a lot of work

Ok. 1.44.023! I’m happy with that.

Last edited:
I just did two races at Nurburgring GP and um ... wow. It was kinda fun in a perverse, drunken kart racing sort of way. Thing is, I have a good qualifying time for DR.C (2:00.9) I was in the top 3 of the grid both races. If I can just make through the first 3 turns without being punted, spun or rammed aside, I should be getting podiums, if not that elusive first win...

Last week was inexplicably very good for me. I thought by the weekend people would be qualifying much higher at Spa and the really good drivers would get on and my luck would be over, but I was consistently on pole or in the top 3, and almost always winning or getting on the podium, apart from two races where I made major mistakes. Part of me wants to believe it was because of the absurd rolling start where only the person on pole doesn't have to deal with the chicane, but my lap times were still 1-2 seconds under the cars behind me. I don't know why. I'm average at Spa in dry conditions in Gr.3, and the only other wet Daily Race I did was a couple months ago on Tokyo Expressway, and I was average at that as well.

I gained 20,000 DR just this past week.

Anyway, I did Daily Race B a bit today and it's been pretty good. I'm consistently gaining positions, and dirty driving isn't too bad so far. Weirdly, I think all of that rain driving made me a better all-around driver in dry conditions; even the smallest mistakes in the wet will ruin your consistency, and I got very good at avoiding those at Spa last week. Now I find myself automatically applying that smooth driving to dry conditions, and again, I feel much less prone to small mistakes in the dry as well.
20,000 DR in one week? You ARE my hero! I've been trying to hang on to my lil 15,000DR like its a life raft so i've been missing out on, and missing, the dailies. You make a great point about driving in the wet conditions and it positively affecting your smoothness in the dry. My wife has encouraged me to do the same. She'll sometimes watch my replays.

Errm, yeh, so I did a few laps with the R.S.01 again , this time with slicks :crazy:. On heavy wets, my qualifying time of 2:08 was the best I could do, I couldn't see how I could get any more out of it...I'm sure a better driver could. So another crack on the slicks today... I broke into the 2:01s, which was my target. I'll still do more qualifying laps before tonight's race to see if I can trim that some more, but I'm happy that won't be starting 3rd last again :crazy:.

Edit: Update incomming on the 29th... lets hope it includes some penalty tweaks :rolleyes:

Last edited:
20,000 DR in one week? You ARE my hero! I've been trying to hang on to my lil 15,000DR like its a life raft so i've been missing out on, and missing, the dailies. You make a great point about driving in the wet conditions and it positively affecting your smoothness in the dry. My wife has encouraged me to do the same. She'll sometimes watch my replays.

To be fair most of that was gained back after inevitably losing it to my prevailing averageness (and the broken penalty system, to a small extent). I think the rain demands caution, and in general I try to be very un-aggressive unless someone is being a dick, so it probably (maybe?) fits my driving style. But going back to dry conditions, it's very noticeable how smooth and deliberate my inputs are on both steering and throttle, because that's the only way you can drive in the rain without dying. Again though, the only other wet condition experience I have is from a couple months ago at Tokyo Expressway and I was at my usual level of averageness there, so last week was truly an anomaly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back