"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t turned a lap this week but I’ve been a second slower in the Gr.4 since the BoP. I don’t think I’ve ran the Gr.3 in a while.

I’ve experienced it back at Big Willow a few weeks ago. Despite being within a few tenths of the Viper, the car’s attitude is totally different from 2 years ago when I was getting my first daily race victories. It is either slower when trying to turn or plows at speeds that it used to go in a turn.

The Mustang just falls flat in both categories, it just feels so meh... wish I was playing when it was "untamed" but it's always been a turd since I started

It's no wonder that I don't enjoy Gr4.

Grinding on race C today thinking a lot of people are scared of Brands Hatch honestly or having too much fun on alts at race A? I've been the only Ford GT in the lobby all day but I've been in the mix just about every race for top 5 or better, very underrated car at that track. 6k DR today.

Don't stay out too long on Mediums just undercut everybody on lap 6 then when you're in the lead just park it on the apex final couple laps and use the power to pull away. Rinse repeat.

I had a pretty good race at Brands Hatch, started P6 and worked my way to P3, halfway through the leader pits, apparently from mediums to hards, while myself and the driver ahead both started on hards. They exited the pit right behind me, still on my first stint on the hards. Although we were pretty evenly matched (they couldn't really build a gap on mediums anyway), I knew I was going to have to let them through eventually, but they decided to dive up the inside in Turn 4 from way back, which I didn't notice and they just hit the back of my car, getting a 0.5 second penalty.

I finished P3 behind the car who hit me, who finished less than one second behind the leader. They sent me a sarcastic "Thanks!" because it was clearly my fault they didn't win.

"slow tires, get out of the way"

Sorry, you are not entitled to positions lost from pitting early. Me being on older tyres than you does not create a blue flag situation. I am not responsible for making your pit strategy work in your favor. I had every intention of letting them through when they had an actual run on me, and if I had noticed the late dive I would have tried to stay wide.

You gotta own the risks you take. Choosing an unconventional tyre strategy is a risk. Diving up the inside anywhere at Brands Hatch is a risk. It's hard to understand how fairly competent drivers at this level still blame other people for their own poor choices.

Still a fun race though. Always feels good to run at that circuit without any significant mistakes.

I had a pretty good race at Brands Hatch, started P6 and worked my way to P3, halfway through the leader pits, apparently from mediums to hards, while myself and the driver ahead both started on hards. They exited the pit right behind me, still on my first stint on the hards. Although we were pretty evenly matched (they couldn't really build a gap on mediums anyway), I knew I was going to have to let them through eventually, but they decided to dive up the inside in Turn 4 from way back, which I didn't notice and they just hit the back of my car, getting a 0.5 second penalty.

I finished P3 behind the car who hit me, who finished less than one second behind the leader. They sent me a sarcastic "Thanks!" because it was clearly my fault they didn't win.

"slow tires, get out of the way"

Sorry, you are not entitled to positions lost from pitting early. Me being on older tyres than you does not create a blue flag situation. I am not responsible for making your pit strategy work in your favor. I had every intention of letting them through when they had an actual run on me, and if I had noticed the late dive I would have tried to stay wide.

You gotta own the risks you take. Choosing an unconventional tyre strategy is a risk. Diving up the inside anywhere at Brands Hatch is a risk. It's hard to understand how fairly competent drivers at this level still blame other people for their own poor choices.

Still a fun race though. Always feels good to run at that circuit without any significant mistakes.

I was surprised to see the amount of clean driving that I did today if we were neck and neck going into a turn I'd either let off or the other person would and we would make it thru clean without losing much time.

Surprisingly only got punted once, not even sure where it came from since the race had just started. Think everyone was focused on keep theirselves on the track for most part. I made a mistake once today on final lap clipped the grass and wound up back on track right into someone, he got 2 sec penalty and I waited before crossing the line 3rd figured it was the least I could do, lol.

Yeah you’re right. Gr4 is no longer a beast. Gr3 was slow for me on qual for c, bet it’s still good in race though, like a snowplow in traffic lmao.
I’ve had a blast so far tonight starting with a c now I’m in on my second b.
First one was crazy close, good driving at B S.
The Aston dbr9 went up like 13 positions no stopping, but it can’t touch my friends on q on c.
Might try Wrx for variety, nice car for Brands.
The B races I’ve done so far have just been amazing, lots of good players out trying to race hard but clean.
I had fun in the Beetle and the Vantage so far. Might try the Stang in race because it sure is slow in q

Just made it into race B without time to qualify, so started 14th, really enjoyed Autopolis for possibly the first time, the Gr.4 Ferrari is a really good car, and there was some good clean racing going on, even managed an overtake around the outside at the hairpin. Ended up 8th with a CRB, a sorely needed SR boost!

Headed off to Brands Hatch after that for a pair of C races in the Vantage. No quali for the first, and started 19th on hards. No incidents to start with, but on lap 2 a Beetle that had spun off and was coming back through hit me coming into Sheene, meaning I tapped the car in front, he was fine but I spun off, no penalties for anyone. Swapped to mediums after lap 7 (meant to go a lap earlier but forgot what lap I was on and missed the pits), caught and passed the car I'd tapped, who gave me a massive punt at Druids, 4s for him this time which put me back ahead, and eventually finished 10th.

Second race was good fun as well, started P16 this time on hards again. Picked up a penalty from someone swerving across to get into the pits, although I didn't even notice contact, but mostly some pretty clean racing. Ended up P8, and gained 3 of those places on the final lap thanks to two spins and an overtake.

Brands is a lot of fun this week, think all the dirty drivers have gone off to SSRX. Went over to the Hamilton challenge to try Brands on there, and got within a tenth of gold, but couldn't quite get there even though I'd made a mistake at Stirlings on my best lap!

After some time I decided to jump back into Sport Mode because a Daily Race С on Brands Hatch is just too good to miss out on.
I no longer chase 91 wins trophy (because I'm too far and caring about that only ruins the fun) so now I can easily enjoy fighting even in the end of the pack.

Did exactly that for three races straight with nothing more than P15 at the end. DR gods finally got tired of watching my embarrassing performances and put me into a lower lobby where I was able to start from P7. Went for 5H-8M strategy and had great pace, became P1 in the process. Lap 9 with almost 4 seconds lead. Unfortunately for me, the guy behind me was much faster and/or had a fresher set of tires. I got nervous and conceded my position to finish 1.1s behind him. I felt almost like Gasly at Monza but this time it was Sainz who won. Still an amazing race, I missed the thrills.

I started another race on P9 and also had a good climb up the ladder. Lap 11 and I'm on P4 with a slight chance to catch up on P3. P5 in some distance behind me. Last corner I loose control and the car slides into the pits :boggled: put on mediums and come out 1.8s behind P4, caught up on him quickly but he defended good and I couldn't overtake.

Overall very clean driving in all of the races. Pushed someone from Italy named Christiante (if I recall correctly) by mistake and couldn't send an apology in PSN. If you are reading this - I'm sorry.

Brands is quite fun because it opens the door to a wide range of cars and the usual suspects, the Merc, the Aston, the Stang ... are all a touch slow there. I raced with the Alfa and Beetle which were both strong and ran a few qualy laps with the Lancer, it's surprisingly fast.

It is SUCH a tough place to race, one small error and it is over. I can turn good, solid laps all alone but anywhere near another car and I am very slow, it's a very "ragged edge" race track where for me to be fast I need to just about lose it on every corner.

Will race the Lancer tonight and see how she goes.

The Mustang just falls flat in both categories, it just feels so meh... wish I was playing when it was "untamed" but it's always been a turd since I started. It's no wonder that I don't enjoy Gr4.

The 'Stangs were early win machines for me, along with the Corvette. Here is a link to my first Gr. 3 win in one.

At Sardegna, that car was lively, while the Viper was just sliding. It's like both cars got tuned to be "tighter". Gr. 4 races were too much fun last year for me in the Mustang. Even back in May of this year, the car wasn't terrible.

But, these days, the Viper is like the old tune on the Mustang.

But, I still love the Mustang for this reason:

The 911 RSR is for sure my jam on Brands. I keep going faster and faster every day, down to mid-23s now in qualification.

Tried the Ford GT but it didn't really click for me, went back to try the AMG for a bit too but with both the Ford and the Merc I was struggling to reach low 24s.

It really helps to blip the throttle when you downshift in the GT to settle the car down and keep the rear end from coming out too much. Rev the car out it can handle it, T2 I'm still in 3rd at 118mph before coming back down to 1st gear, same with T4. I posted a replay for a couple of other Ford drivers just look up Brands Hatch and TPC tags. I'm hoping to get down into 1:22.4xx range today but that's my optimal currently 1:22.729 I believe.

Brands is quite fun because it opens the door to a wide range of cars and the usual suspects, the Merc, the Aston, the Stang ... are all a touch slow there. I raced with the Alfa and Beetle which were both strong and ran a few qualy laps with the Lancer, it's surprisingly fast.

It is SUCH a tough place to race, one small error and it is over. I can turn good, solid laps all alone but anywhere near another car and I am very slow, it's a very "ragged edge" race track where for me to be fast I need to just about lose it on every corner.

Will race the Lancer tonight and see how she goes.

You get absolutely no rest on that track it's a good workout and mentally draining. You really do need to be on the edge every turn or you're losing time.

The 'Stangs were early win machines for me, along with the Corvette. Here is a link to my first Gr. 3 win in one.

At Sardegna, that car was lively, while the Viper was just sliding. It's like both cars got tuned to be "tighter". Gr. 4 races were too much fun last year for me in the Mustang. Even back in May of this year, the car wasn't terrible.

But, these days, the Viper is like the old tune on the Mustang.

But, I still love the Mustang for this reason:

Surprisingly Sardegna has been just about my top track in the gr3 or Gr4 cars. That was my best finish in the Mustang all of last season! The Gr3 Mustang has some good speed but it's worse than the GT for fuel and the GT is bad with fuel as is.

So I got my first ever DR reset after someone bump drafted me 8 times in a row in a round of race A.

Since I’d be stuck with slow pokes in D/E for a little while I decided to enter race C in a car I don’t think I’ve driven since the beta (VW VGT), without a quali time, and only prep being a couple vague sighting laps to figure out the car.

Started 2nd from last, had a couple trips through the dirt and a punt, but still managed to make my way up to 3rd by the final lap with 2nd in sight. Only narrowly missed out on beating him after he got a track cut penalty, but then this happened:

2229AF62-241C-4780-802D-8583E6BD58D7.jpeg

1BF6F942-C866-4D65-8252-4E879D0F5C36.jpeg

Top of the mornin’
Well I lifted a bit a couple times at SSX and finished last in a pack of 3 cars that lost the main group before turn 1.
The b race has been just great so far. The c race is great because inconsistent dangerous players just tend to spin off and be gone. The DBR9 is just so stable. Perfect car for clean racing. I almost tried the Stang, maybe tonight.
@RacingGrandpa you’re right a lotta times cars are more or less effective in race than a person might think from hot laps in qual.
I got by a bunch of slides 911 last night.
Don’t get me wrong I might race it too, this week, great car, just a different style from my standard point and goose it driving. It needs a watery flow with maximum speed carry. Tough for me to do.
I remember last time really enjoying the wrx gr3 also. Handles nice good sound stable and consistent. I’ve yet to even try anything but the hard tires on c this week...
Can’t get enough of this weeks selections and being s has been very very nice.
Cheers

Edit re the above on understeer. I’m finding so much that even touching the gas pre apex is bad juju, even more so than before.
I like with cockpit view turning in, looking ahead you wait for that nose to track with the turn, then squeeze throttle. If you throttle before the nose is trackin you induce understeer. I’m also finding that often like on b race releasing steering angle very slightly in a sweeper makes the nose track tighter.
Too much steering angle gets the tires not attacking at the right angle-not as much traction.
With cockpit view on I personally get a far better sense of the cars rotation than the other views, there’s more data there about the car and it’s response, but the fov takes getting used to...

Last edited:
They added a tonne of "on the throttle understeer" to it a while back (can't remember is it was a bop or physics update), you need to carry a bit more apex speed and wait until the nose is pointing where you want to go before adding power.

I would say it was a physics update. Most of the cars I drive now act very similar to that description.

With understeer usually you need to effect a forward weight shift/release steering.
Although, also in gt cars and most cars in game if you don’t being turning in with the steering while still applying brakes, the suspension won’t be loaded and the car won’t turn in.
Also if you start turning in, then correct the line, (double steer) you won’t get maximum grip.
Also on many mr gt cars on many corners you need some partial throttle during turns to keep the car loaded up.
It’s very touchy this game to really start getting the most from the gt cars, because even after you get that turning while braking to get a sharper turn in, there’s waaay more speed available to carry if you’re aaalmost drifting like a micro balanced slide then also more speed carried equals added downforce from the gt3 so it gets to where there’s always more speed, earlier and more throttle...having the car stepping out is usually slower because without traction in the drive wheels the car can’t accelerate as hard...

7 wins @ race A this week and rank boost from D to B

my experience:
  • qualifying has little impact, due to draft everyone condenses into a pack
  • try and stay within 0.5s of leader. Beyond 1s you are in danger of losing draft
  • ignore the carnage until the last corner
  • easier to carry more speed with a high exit on last corner
  • radar is crucial
  • avoid the nutters and ease off accelerator if required
  • don't bump draft
  • If you see someone coming behind let them through unless near the end of the lap, otherwise you will may a pen
  • TCS1 for start, zero after

Last edited:
I'm seeing significantly fewer penalties at race A today. It appears that most people have figured out that bump-drafting is not a good idea.
Whoever got scared off from the race yesterday, consider giving it another try.
Amazingly, I'm riding a 6 race clean streak. :eek:
Best advice I can give is, definitely don't bother with fighting for the lead until you're about halfway through the last turn (let the mouth-breathers have at it). Just hang at the back of the pack and cruise. In the race I won today, I probably lifted off the throttle at least a dozen times. 👍
I prefer the Keselowski method, get to the front early then try to block all 6 lanes of runs until the end. It's difficult and never works but it's a good laugh to try.

Still on Route X. I’m not making any foul moves at all yet I’m now at 3000 DR and 1 SR. :lol:
Try it like this. Until you're at the last turn, don't pass people just because you can. If you enter that last turn at the back of the pack, you will be the one with the most slipstream/speed potential. Notice how I'm lifting off the throttle on the straight to stay behind. Also, nobody can give me a bump-draft penalty. ;)

By doing it like this, I had 14 out of 15 CRBs, and 6 wins yesterday. Staying behind the lunatics is good for SR & DR. 💡
Strategy trumps driving ability in this one. 👍
Good luck!

Try it like this. Until you're at the last turn, don't pass people just because you can. If you enter that last turn at the back of the pack, you will be the one with the most slipstream/speed potential. Notice how I'm lifting off the throttle on the straight to stay behind. Also, nobody can give me a bump-draft penalty. ;)

By doing it like this, I had 14 out of 15 CRBs, and 6 wins yesterday. Staying behind the lunatics is good for SR & DR. 💡
Good luck!

Yeah, I’m aware of this tactic and have been more or less doing something similar. Been working very well for you apparently, well done!

I won’t worry about taking care of the SR/DR until next week.

Good luck!

that race reminds me of when me and my friends would do pp550 all day @ daytona. hang back until the end and slither your way up for the win well done

Last edited:
The 911, i dunno what it is the past 12 months i cannot get this thing turn a lap, like at all.
The 911 loves trailbraking, and like others have said it doesn't like to turn on throttle, and it's allergic to kerbs. I don't know if it's a suspension thing or a loss of downforce but if you ride kerbs in this car it will take the entire sector to settle down enough to put the hammer down again.

That's if you don't spin of course.

it's allergic to kerbs. I don't know if it's a suspension thing or a loss of downforce but if you ride kerbs in this car it will take the entire sector to settle down enough to put the hammer down again.

This. My style is suited to patience for on throttle but it's the kerbs in this thing, just insane how bad it is. I simply cannot get any drive off kerbs, either I spin or the TC is way too aggressive. The big chicane at NGP, I am 8/10ths faster through there with the Merc than the 911.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back