"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I've been lurking around this topic for a while now, so while watching Tidgney's track guide I decided to create an account, and behold: a memorable race happened.

I went for race A without any expectations, a decent albeit unimpressive qualification lap gave me the 7th spot on the grid. Took in the last tips from Tidgney during warm up, moved over to the inside for turn 1 to gain a position and courtesy of the number 2 taking out the leader I found myself in 4th approaching turn 2.

Surprisingly it was a very clean race from there, gained a place, lost two, gained one again to get back into fourth, but nothing dirty at all, even hardly any door banging. Well, until the bloke in 3rd slammed up the inside of 2nd place in what I believe to be turn 4 (the sharp left). That in turn sent the leader off-road, and with two laps to go I found myself in 2nd place, behind the dirty driver. My pace wasn't there to overtake him, so coming into the final hairpin on the last lap I was happy to have maintained second place, until... the previous leader who got taken out by the dirty driver decided it was time for revenge, going full throttle from way back into the side of the dirty driver, sending the front end of his car into the shadow realm and the rear to Narnia and beyond, handing me a completely unexpected victory.

If I'm racing you'll find me in a B/S-lobby, cruising around, working to improve my braking while sliding off once every other race. Not very consistent yet, and not good at overtaking, but being patient has given me the best results and a couple of wins so far.

I don't like the dirty race(r)s, but do notice I actually learn a lot there. Monza Gr.3 once cost me my SR, but at the end of that week I somehow found myself back at S with an improved DR.

Happy racing!

Oh, if anyone has a link to a brilliant explanation on Brake Balance I'd be more than happy to hear. If there's one topic I've so far failed to understand...

Last edited:
I get what your saying, and you are correct in saying that using TCS is the best way to learn throttle control. That way you don’t spin out, and only slip and lose a few tenths. :cheers:

Right if you mess up it only slows you down, but the key point is being aware of what’s happening, having it piss you off to get power cut, and be better next lap.
Tcs default ALSO teaches much better steering it teaches you minimum steering angle, because crank the wheel too far and it cuts power too. So it helps with the line and coming off brake well also because that helps you minimize the steering angle.
The key thing is tcs default gives you PAIN mentally lol by slowing you down when you have made input errors. That’s instant negative reinforcement to mistakes, great for learning.
That’s kinda my whole gig and I know you get it.
The idea is instead of turning it off learn what’s happening to cause it to slow you if that’s the case and there’s a big slowdown if you use it.
Make better inputs, but yeah highest possible level like world tour level I don’t think those guys use it.
Good call :)

Edit re fr cars yes I have diamond on Interlagos LH using tcs3. You just gotta drive well.
To finish first, first you have to finish.

Last edited:
Right if you mess up it only slows you down, but the key point is being aware of what’s happening, having it piss you off to get power cut, and be better next lap.
Tcs default ALSO teaches much better steering it teaches you minimum steering angle, because crank the wheel too far and it cuts power too. So it helps with the line and coming off brake well also because that helps you minimize the steering angle.
The key thing is tcs default gives you PAIN mentally lol by slowing you down when you have made input errors. That’s instant negative reinforcement to mistakes, great for learning.
That’s kinda my whole gig and I know you get it.
The idea is instead of turning it off learn what’s happening to cause it to slow you if that’s the case and there’s a big slowdown if you use it.
Make better inputs, but yeah highest possible level like world tour level I don’t think those guys use it.
Good call :)

Edit re fr cars yes I have diamond on Interlagos LH using tcs3. You just gotta drive well.
To finish first, first you have to finish.

You’re not getting it. Yes, it’s a really great learning tool, but at a certain point, if one wants to continue improving, it’s time to take off the training wheels, because they can only get you so far. That’s the point your not understanding. I am no wear near WT level, not even remotely close, when I end up in their races, I’m 30-45s behind them by the end, or more. But, at no point in time do I ever find myself wishing that I’d had TCS on, not even when I end up in the grass at times. You have SO much more control over your car without it(in GTS), so much, it’s not even close. These are the skills that TCS robs you of learning, to fully control your throttle, and your car, in all situations, and at all times. This is something you will never be able to learn with TCS on, because it doesn’t allow you full freedom of throttle at all times.

Now, if someone isn’t willing/able to put in that kind of time, that’s cool, everyone is free to play/enjoy the game the way they want to, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But this notion you have of TCS being faster no matter what, is not in any way shape or form true. You are just not willing to put in the time to continue learning, and that’s totally fine. But don’t hide behind false notions, just be honest. :cheers:

Last edited:
So I have recovered some of the lost DR but not made it back to C yet but much closer now than I was earlier. Races have been ok this evening still a bit more elbows out than I enjoy but folks seem to be a bit more interested in having an actual race rather than Wreckfest.

My goal is to get solidly back into C and then park myself until the weekend manufacturers race at what is my favourite track in this game. Done for the night though and think I am going to reward myself with a couple of those beers, so cheers :cheers:

You’re not getting it. Yes, it’s a really great learning tool, but at a certain point, if one wants to continue improving, it’s time to take off the training wheels, because they can only get you so far. That’s the point your not understanding. I am no wear near WT level, not even remotely close, when I end up in their races, I’m 30-45s behind them by the end, or more. But, at no point in time do I ever find myself wishing that I’d had TCS on, not even when I end up in the grass at times. You have SO much more control over your car without it(in GTS), so much, it’s not even close. These are the skills that TCS robs you of learning, to fully control your throttle, and your car, in all situations, and at all times. This is something you will never be able to learn with TCS on, because it doesn’t allow you full freedom of throttle at all times.

Now, if someone isn’t willing/able to put in that kind of time, that’s cool, everyone is free to play/enjoy the game the way they want to, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But this notion you have of TCS being faster no matter what, is not in any way shape or form true. You are just not willing to put in the time to continue learning, and that’s totally fine. But don’t hide behind false notions, just be honest. :cheers:

Hmmm. Well, I don’t know if I like how you put that last part, considering what I can do whenever I do invest the time.
If by learning you mean finding that last second or sometimes 2 that’s possible in the game on a hotlap type basis, that’s not my thing, in most cases.
I mean what’s my main at anyways rn not 60k, maybe 54 k rn?Guarantee if I made it a point to do 60k is no problem with default tcs to me, but no I don’t have the desire to put in that kind of time.
So in a sense you are correct. I am not going to invest the kind of time it takes, but also there is another point as well. Maybe philosophical but I think Legend mentioned it first before regarding talent, hand eye coordination etc. we all have limits, and there’s always people faster and with more. That’s just reality. We are limited in our abilities. Even knowing perfectly what we are trying to do, using good tools we have limits to our own accuracy.
So I mean I hear your “if you learned more spent more time” argument, I simply reject it.
We all have our plateaus, regardless of effort put in. I’m hearing you say at some point one should go alfresco in order to get better, what I’m saying is I’m as good as I’m ever gonna be just runnin default tcs, or rather, tcs is capable of more than me at my talent. Tcs isn’t causing me to lose the time I lose. That’s all me not carrying good speed and good line.
There’s a point of diminishing returns from putting time and effort into a game, after my paltry what 50 days of driving on main plus what on alt 30? That’s enough hours.
Learning to be fast with tcs certainly doesn’t come overnight.
That’s a skill too.
Anyways I’ll use tcs until it’s slowing me down or causing me problems. I have yet to reach that point, with certain cars.
Personally I’d like to see some aliens forced to use default and really put in some effort with it to see where the ceiling is as far as using it. It’s higher than I can go.
But hey I forgot everyone here’s like ex world tour or etc and I should just turn off all aids and not think independently and pull aside when streamers approach me in game and run not tcs on my car so they can easily move me aside by cheating the nose in right?
I’ll turn it off when I can drive faster by doing so, just like I do now.

Last edited:
Hello. I’ve been lurking here for a long time and this is what prompted me to create an account. This disgrace that just happened in race B.

No penalty for him. 13th place for me. This is the game that has FIA license? Really? Why not Need for Speed or Crew then, give them that prestige too.

Yes, I know previous penalty system was too harsh sometimes but this is Wild West. Can there be some middle ground please or we gonna play bumper cars here like Vettel used to say.

What do you guys think, am I right to be livid here or just take in the chin or be vengeful next time? Thank you.

Hmmm. Well, I don’t know if I like how you put that last part, considering what I can do whenever I do invest the time.
If by learning you mean finding that last second or sometimes 2 that’s possible in the game on a hotlap type basis, that’s not my thing, in most cases.
I mean what’s my main at anyways rn not 60k, maybe 54 k rn?Guarantee if I made it a point to do 60k is no problem with default tcs to me, but no I don’t have the desire to put in that kind of time.
So in a sense you are correct. I am not going to invest the kind of time it takes, but also there is another point as well. Maybe philosophical but I think Legend mentioned it first before regarding talent, hand eye coordination etc. we all have limits, and there’s always people faster and with more. That’s just reality. We are limited in our abilities. Even knowing perfectly what we are trying to do, using good tools we have limits to our own accuracy.
So I mean I hear your “if you learned more spent more time” argument, I simply reject it.
We all have our plateaus, regardless of effort put in. I’m hearing you say at some point one should go alfresco in order to get better, what I’m saying is I’m as good as I’m ever gonna be just runnin default tcs, or rather, tcs is capable of more than me at my talent. Tcs isn’t causing me to lose the time I lose. That’s all me not carrying good speed and good line.
There’s a point of diminishing returns from putting time and effort into a game, after my paltry what 50 days of driving on main plus what on alt 30? That’s enough hours.
Learning to be fast with tcs certainly doesn’t come overnight.
That’s a skill too.
Anyways I’ll use tcs until it’s slowing me down or causing me problems. I have yet to reach that point, with certain cars.
Personally I’d like to see some aliens forced to use default and really put in some effort with it to see where the ceiling is as far as using it. It’s higher than I can go.
But hey I forgot everyone here’s like ex world tour or etc and I should just turn off all aids and not think independently and pull aside when streamers approach me in game and run not tcs on my car so they can easily move me aside by cheating the nose in right?
TCS kills corner speed, and effectively inhibits rotation of the car
You do you, but he's not wrong

Hmmm. But hey I forgot everyone here’s like ex world tour or etc and I should just turn off all aids and not think independently and pull aside when streamers approach me in game and run not tcs on my car so they can easily move me aside by cheating the nose in right?

Dude, you admitted at the top of your message that you are not willing to put the time in, that’s cool, it’s not a big deal man, you don’t need to “justify” it. Everyone’s gaming/racing goals are different, none are wrong and none are right, everyone is free to play however they wish. I wasn’t trying to tell you not to use it, and I also don’t think you are maxed out either. I know you can be faster. :cheers:

Was there really a need for that last bit though? What does any of that have to do with the conversation? I gave a rough outline/timeline on when I thought was the right time to turn TCS off, that’s it, that’s all. :)

This is in no way a critique of you, just an observation on me. I have been driving with TCS on for a long long time, well over two years. Bit then I decided it was time to learn to do with out it.
And I am already faster.

Something else now.
Ran one single race C tonight, in the Corvette.
I did a few Q runs and thought I had a pretty good time, then entered a race and was p14....

Well, one thing I see now with the new "Penalty System" and everyone at SR99 is that many more are not able to keep the race pace they had in Q.
The first lap and a half was chaos..
But I kept my head on a swivel and navigated through.
PS_App_20210322_115531.jpeg

Now, I sometimes share a clip of an incident or a move,but this time it's the whole race.
You don't have to watch it all, it's 10 minutes, but if you like give it a few laps..

Edit:
I'm not a physics major by any means. Is letting go of the gas a moment before braking a moot point when on a steep uphill?
Noz it still gets the weight transferred. But it's just a fraction of a second before

Last edited:
I'm not a physics major by any means. Is letting go of the gas a moment before braking a moot point when on a steep uphill?

That will greatly depend on the car you are driving and how straight of a line you are braking in. It can definitely help to kill off some speed if you’re in a heavy draft right before a heavy braking zone though, if you’re not looking to make a pass on that corner. :)

That will greatly depend on the car you are driving and how straight of a line you are braking in. It can definitely help to kill off some speed if you’re in a heavy draft right before a heavy braking zone though, if you’re not looking to make a pass on that corner. :)
Mondays are strictly for quali lol.

It seems that the Supra concept is the meta but I hate using that car so I went with the Corvette. I was also really struggling with that, being a good 5 seconds behind the top ten aliens. I am not happy until I am 3.5 seconds back, minimum. So I switched to the Porsche and lo and behold, I'm now 4 seconds back.

I think I will stick with the Porsche.

Oh, if anyone has a link to a brilliant explanation on Brake Balance I'd be more than happy to hear. If there's one topic I've so far failed to understand...

I'll likely not explain this too well, but the concept should be useable for most of us. Brake balance is the distribution of the brake system's effort. Think of the normal brake system as 100%. With BB at 0, the braking force is distributed 50/50. Moving the BB forward or rearward is asking the front or rear brakes to do more of the effort. This has the benefit of allowing for a change in the handling of the car. Examples of those benefits would be an FR car (Mustang, Viper, Aston, Jag, etc.) that uses a -1 (front bias) to use more braking to help decelerate before a corner. This can make some cars a little loose in the rear if you try something like trailbraking. Using +1 on the same car will allow for a more stable braking effort, but will hurt the car if you try to trailbrake. Brake balance acts differently for different drivetrains. FF cars like more rear balance in longer race C daily races. MR cars will be nervous with rear (positive) BB because many people learn to trailbrake. Sometimes when the race has tire wear multipliers, it's more advantageous to learn to drive with more positive BB in order to lower the amount of wear on the front tires.

I did it by pulling over every time a car got close, ended up at DR 1 :lol:

Wasn't the target much higher already? Oh well, no way to check, 404 page not found
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/stats-site.373054/
Seems @jasguer gave up on this mess, I don't blame him

Target is 117, carry on :cheers:
Yeah, unfortunately jasguer’s website has been down since a couple of months. Prior to that I checked the record frequently though and last I could check when that website was up I still had the record.
It's not really a fair comparison, I've done mine whilst contact penalties are practically off and the green sectors are a lot more forgiving to people who have been pushed off the road. Sven even did his in American lobbies which are like a warzone at the back half of the time!

117. Challenge accepted :gtpflag:
Fair enough, but you’ve done it at A+ which is really impressive, despite the very forgiving current penalty system.

... and Congratulations! It’s yours now. :cheers: Is your streak still active?

A personal observation on TCS. I am “only” at DR 35-38k level. I usually don’t use it. I found that it was useful (and continues to be in certain combos/circumstances) BUT, it was holding me back in both my development and my race pace. Not because I didn’t understand it or relied on it too much, but because it was inhibiting my ability to get optimal response to my driving style. As a result I was adapting style to manage TCS.

A trivial but instructional example is the time loss when TCS kicks in on straight line acceleration. If my key advantage in race was better exit speed onto a straight but TCS negated that advantage it was holding me back in race pace. Therefore I would change cornering technique to find time elsewhere. That might have improved my TCS lap time, but it raised the floor on my my best lap possible.

Over all, you can clearly be fast (much faster than me) with TCS. And you can definitely be slow without it :D, but I think your ultimate driving potential (however high that may be) can only be reached if you are open to eschewing TCS.

Did a Race B. No qualy, 17/19. Had a hard fight with cars in the middle places. Got up to an RSR and battled for 6th. It kept glitching close, then jumped ahead. We both had yellow bars.

Anyway, the RSR is parking the car in the corners. It's not blocking, but using the racing line. The car behind me isn't impatient, but is tapping me by accident due to me slowing to not hit the RSR.

After the bowl hairpin and run up the hill, the RSR is slower than me in the R8. We get to the right handers and again, it's parking it J. The corners. I hit it on the inside right rear and back off. The car behind had backed off before the turn.
As we round the final corner, the RSR stays far left against the wall. I stay far right. We crossed the line one thousandths apart. Knucklehead started the spin across the line, hitting me in the process.

Post race, I called that player a name.

Qualified for the next race. Pole position. That same player(in 8th) posts, "Nice to see you again.". I posted nothing.
I got the win by 5 seconds and FL. That player was 25 seconds back in the same position. I saved the replay and bounced.

<...snip...>

Well, one thing I see now with the new "Penalty System" and everyone at SR99 is that many more are not able to keep the race pace they had in Q.
The first lap and a half was chaos..
But I kept my head on a swivel and navigated through.
<...snip...>

That is an astute observation. I have spent more time qualifying because mid-pack has become increasingly deadly. I watched some replays and the gameplay was very interesting. Firstly, everyone is on a "hair-trigger" and it takes just one bad actor to infect the pack. X hits Y which transmits to Z and then Z attacks Y. Then mayhem.

By getting to the front I minimize my chances to encounter the bad actor. When the bad actor starts first or second then I am affected. If he starts any lower then I am immune but the rest of the pack still needs to deal with him.

Some of it is being policed but it is not sufficient.

Hello. I’ve been lurking here for a long time and this is what prompted me to create an account. This disgrace that just happened in race B.

No penalty for him. 13th place for me. This is the game that has FIA license? Really? Why not Need for Speed or Crew then, give them that prestige too.

Yes, I know previous penalty system was too harsh sometimes but this is Wild West. Can there be some middle ground please or we gonna play bumper cars here like Vettel used to say.

What do you guys think, am I right to be livid here or just take in the chin or be vengeful next time? Thank you.

First, welcome!

It is terrible.

I have sought revenge sparingly. I have executed one successful revenge punt and made a hash of another attempt. The skill is not in my repertoire.

If the bad actor is a repeat offender then punt him. Post race, let him know it was on purpose. It explains your motivations to others . If others know you to be a clean driver then there will be no issue. Remember, he is probably much better at the whole punting game and will probably seek revenge.

EDIT: the guy I punted did not seek revenge. He reformed and became race-able in subsequent events. And then disappeared including the PSN. The second guy continues to create problems but others are wise to him.

Last edited:
That is an astute observation. I have spent more time qualifying because mid-pack has become increasingly deadly. I watched some replays and the gameplay was very interesting. Firstly, everyone is on a "hair-trigger" and it takes just one bad actor to infect the pack. X hits Y which transmits to Z and then Z attacks Y. Then mayhem.

By getting to the front I minimize my chances to encounter the bad actor. When the bad actor starts first or second then I am affected. If he starts any lower then I am immune but the rest of the pack still needs to deal with him.

Some of it is being policed but it is not sufficient.

The math nerd in me was hoping you were going to bring this all together as an equation calculating the probability of a punt at a given qualifying time.

Yeah, unfortunately jasguer’s website has been down since a couple of months. Prior to that I checked the record frequently though and last I could check when that website was up I still had the record.
Fair enough, but you’ve done it at A+ which is really impressive, despite the very forgiving current penalty system.

... and Congratulations! It’s yours now. :cheers: Is your streak still active?
I won't be A+ for long, I have no pace on any of this weeks races so have lost a tonne of DR (I might actually bother entering FIA's again now matchmaking will give me a race). Very forgiving is a bit of understatement, I accidentally spun a Supra this morning and got nothing. For now at least the record is about who can do the most races without leaving the track limits, your 117 and Sven's 97 are more impressive (even my original 64 at the Nordschleife). It's still active for now 👍.

Tried race C, yeah nah can't drive it. Tail refuses to stay in line even with controller sensitivity down to minus 2.

So LM it is, as always with LM, I enjoy it but struggle for pace. Sectors 2 and 3 need smooth inputs which I struggle with using the d pad and I bleed time through the fast corners. I use TC2 too so I am losing a solid 3 tenth through the flat esses after the banked hairpin.

Tried ft1, fast over 1 lap but too skittish to race with so have been using the Lexus, goes ok I guess.

In one race picked my through from 15th to 6th only to lose it on the last lap and finish last :boggled:

Lastly it appears the penalty system is hitting its peak, I nearly walked away tonight, it is so dirty, constantly being hit and folks not even trying to make clean passes, any semblance of actual racing is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back