"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
upload_2021-4-7_8-0-15.png

I'm done with daily races for this week. Tried all three, got punted at every one of them. Repeatedly. Sick of seeing 0.5sec penalties for cutting an apex by half a wheel width but seeing massive overruns and punts go unpunished. The number of folks extending the exit of Ascari and Parabolica is nuts. And I got 4 seconds worth of penalties for being punted into another guy at Parabolica, despite being the only one of the 3 to end up off track.
I'll be finishing up the last couple of mission challenges and the circuit experiences until the next races go up.

I don’t understand. You let them stay on track while doing this?
I don’t understand why you wouldn’t punt them off?

While I have given in to punts it's not a habit I want to get into. I know I have anger problems at times so giving in will lead me to be a racer I work hard not to be and not have any fun. The thing I have to constantly remind myself is these races, dailies and even the FIA stuff, are not at all important. One bad race is just one bad race I will have better other times.

If someone wants to be a dick about it and drive dirty then I already beat them no matter what the final results say. Also folks who drive like that more often than not end up putting themselves out of the race, which is immensely satisfying when it happens.

I ain't perfect I do give in and punt or do something I wouldn't want done to me but as I said it's not a habit I want to form so try hard not to. You all free to do as you see fit. It's your time do what you got to do to enjoy that time.

Last edited:
After an encouraging first night, last night saw a return of the madness at Monza. There was one guy causing havoc in each race despite having pace, that turned everyone nasty and chaos ensued.

Even so, "clean" guys are taking more liberties, it is very, very rare to be passed without a bump anymore, trying to tolerate it a bit more but if you need to bump me, you were not going to make the apex were you bucko.

Tried the Jag, qualy half a second off the Bugatti but in the race you are really struggling. Top end speed not really the problem it's the corner exits, the veyron just VANISHES up the road, it is so fast out of tight corners.

How is everybody doing with Race B? I'm about to give up, and I'm in B-S. It's not supposed to be a crashfest (or is it?)

For me 4 good 1 bad rage/embarrassment quit. (Made a fool of myself)
I got dinged on sr from 99-75 in that last quit.
The Mustang has been very strong.
I ran well in the laughing clown and Batman liveries but my red white and blue patriot livery got attacked pretty hard early and led to my first rage quit in a long time.
I will be going back there tonight.
If you’re struggling my advice is use a power car driving line on.
It’s more important there not to run wide or make big mistakes than anything else. B S is prolly pretty dirty because people aren’t in the right lines/going fast near the limit so it gets to be dive city.
Gotta run on that racing line. Guarantee it will help if you try it for 10-15 laps of practice.
I personally love the track but I’ve also put a lot of time into learning it. It’s not for everyone..

Last edited:
While I have given in to punts it's not a habit I want to get into. I know I have anger problems at times so giving in will lead me to be a racer I work hard not to be and not have any fun. The thing I have to constantly remind myself is these races, dailies and even the FIA stuff, are not at all important. One bad race is just one bad race I will have better other times.

If someone wants to be a dick about it and drive dirty then I already beat them no matter what the final results say. Also folks who drive like that more often than not end up putting themselves out of the race, which is immensely satisfying when it happens.

I ain't perfect I do give in and punt or do something I wouldn't want done to me but as I said it's not a habit I want to form so try hard not to. You all free to do as you see fit. It's your time do what you got to do to enjoy that time.
That's much the same attitude I have to giving it back as I know a lot of what might seem like malice can be accidents, but after the same driver hit me on three separate occasions to stop me getting past him at Interlagos, including trying to smash me into the pit wall, I eventually gave in and punted him off at the last corner, picked up a 2s penalty that cost me no places, dropped him 4 places instead of the 1 he'd have lost if he'd been racing clean. Waited around in the lobby afterwards, he didn't say anything, so I think he knew it was payback.

View attachment 1002837
I'm done with daily races for this week. Tried all three, got punted at every one of them. Repeatedly. Sick of seeing 0.5sec penalties for cutting an apex by half a wheel width but seeing massive overruns and punts go unpunished. The number of folks extending the exit of Ascari and Parabolica is nuts. And I got 4 seconds worth of penalties for being punted into another guy at Parabolica, despite being the only one of the 3 to end up off track.
I'll be finishing up the last couple of mission challenges and the circuit experiences until the next races go up.

I had a guy running completely off the track yesterday so I wouldn't get the tow and he got no penalty but when he reached the first corner I guess his tyres were cold or dirty but he couldn't stop and it was funny.

I ran well in the laughing clown and Batman liveries but my red white and blue patriot livery got attacked pretty hard early and led to my first rage quit in a long time.
I will be going back there tonight.
If you’re struggling my advice is use a power car driving line on.
It’s more important there not to run wide or make big mistakes than anything else. B S is prolly pretty dirty because people aren’t in the right lines/going fast near the limit so it gets to be dive city.
Gotta run on that racing line. Guarantee it will help if you try it for 10-15 laps of practice.
I personally love the track but I’ve also put a lot of time into learning it. It’s not for everyone..
Holy cow you're right. I went from 1:32:2xx with the Benz '16 to 1:31.940 with the Mustang, following the line for the entire lap. Time to take it online!
Thanks

I can't stand Group 4 races these days mainly because of the meta madness, Veyron everywhere. Like I can use another car, but I don't want to purposefully gimp myself.
I don't get this. There is literally 2 combos where the Veyron is useful in a group 4 race. Monza and SSRX. Enjoy driving and racing against a car you rarely see. I'd rather race in and against a few Veyrons than the masses of FF's we used to see.

If I'm dumb enough to head out for more punishment and I see you I will indeed give you a wave! (Probably while I'm facing the wrong way in the depths of turn 4 after some clown has punted me off into the upside down.) When do you do your races? I find I only get time after about 9pm til about midnight at the moment...
Mostly after I get home from work so around half 5 to about 7ish. Will be focused on Nations today but will probably have time before or after to get into a daily or two.

I had a guy running completely off the track yesterday so I wouldn't get the tow and he got no penalty but when he reached the first corner I guess his tyres were cold or dirty but he couldn't stop and it was funny.
Now that needs to go to Idiots of the Week.:lol:

Holy cow you're right. I went from 1:32:2xx with the Benz '16 to 1:31.940 with the Mustang, following the line for the entire lap. Time to take it online!
Thanks

No problem. Lines crucial at Interlagos and the Mustang needs to be on brakes turning in to get grip. That trail brake is important.
If you wanna check out a Mustang 30.5 time search tpc under discover and replays and it’s got @sturk0167 s Jean Girard livery he made special for that car.
With the Mustang especially it needs to be pretty heavy on brakes while turning into the corner, and letting off about halfway into the corner and waiting a tiny beat then getting on the gas at apex.
You could pretty much turn on line and cones and brake at or just inside those cones never get on gas before the apex cone cuz that will make you run wide and have to lift throttle exiting.
I run tcs but everybody here hates tcs lol.
I like how planted the Mustang is. It gives me confidence to push a car like that with tcs on over curbing and getting on power early without losing control.
I just find the handling cars really touchy at Interlagos through those technical turns. Many players slide out in those.
A lot of players are going to the corvette, which is what I’ve always used in the past there, (love that car there) but I’ve been on a Mustang kick lately. I still need to try the Jeg’s livery sturk made and maybe paint up another couple to try.
To me Interlagos is a fantastic track that can bring some of the best and worst races in game.
I’ve had everything from screaming YES when having a photo finish and going full Darren Mcgavin from Christmas Story after crashing out/getting stuffed.
“He wove a tapestry of obscenity”

Also re going elbows out there’s only so much anyone can take...

Last edited:
Lines crucial at Interlagos
This might be part of my problem there. I know the track, but haven't driven it enough to know the nuances of the fastest line. Also don't have the to-the-metre braking points sorted out, especially in traffic. That still doesn't excuse people from pushing me out of the way on the way past. If you are faster than me, then wait three corners and make a clean pass!

At Monza, I have felt more confident to race the last few times it's been a Daily, as I've either been really lucky a bunch of times in a row, or learned how to protect myself from a lot of the worst stuff.

One thing I've committed to... rather than try to avoid things by outbraking people late into the chicanes... I try to brake easier and earlier, because it give you another dimension of control as you dive into the first apex... if you try to out brake someone, and they make a mistake, it's game over, but if you ease into it, you can either increase your braking late, give yourself some space on the way in, or turn offline to allow them to fly thru without contact, easier.

I'm no expert, but I haven't had too many races ruined in the last few Dailies held there. The only one I got yesterday was a guy who simply shoved me off the track from the side, turning left on me while we were side by side to simply take me out because he preferred that to racing me, I guess.

But I've been fortunate and perhaps made some of my own luck by committing to a bit of discretion heading into the chicanes. Especially on the first two laps, where the lap time is irrelevant- you simply need to survive, not lose track position, and maintain distance to the draft in those opening stages, then you can work the pace up with later braking points and tighter racing lines for optimum lap times over the last 7 laps or so.

(That said... Laguna is another story... I can't seem to protect myself there at all. Don't think I'm gonna chance that one much again, although it's a shame bc those Miatas are so fun to RACE with clean people.)

Last edited:
This might be part of my problem there. I know the track, but haven't driven it enough to know the nuances of the fastest line. Also don't have the to-the-metre braking points sorted out, especially in traffic. That still doesn't excuse people from pushing me out of the way on the way past. If you are faster than me, then wait three corners and make a clean pass!

Sometimes people have to get by for fear of getting stuffed from traffic behind. A good practice at Interlagos is simply don’t go all out on q time, instead set a time you can run to avoid a bit of pressure from traffic behind.
If you look very very closely at the tracks surface... Look very closely at it and how level it is...Realize that coming into the turns there in the braking zones starting at the two cones...The track surface itself kind of has a tiny bit of a tiny hill uphill a few degrees from level...
So the latest you can brake and not overshoot is that little bit of a hump in the track surface, if you get onto the “downhill” side of that hump you’ll overshoot, because there’s more grip on the fronts braking on that tiny bit of uphill vs downhill.
The specific brake and turn ins are defined by that sloping of the track.
If you go past those little bits of uphill to brake there’s no grip and you’ll overshoot. Good practice at Interlagos would be feather brake at two cones then full at those tiny uphill slopes then of course when you get it dialed you can go full brake a touch later if needed.
It’s important to remember also lifting at the end of the straights loses very very little almost no time.
This is cuz the cars not accelerating much at the end of a straight. That can help too lifting off just that tiny touch early to ensure hitting the brake point perfect.
Lifting also shifts a little weight forward giving the car more bite on initial braking...
I’m certain if you go slow and pay attention you’ll notice the subtle banking and see where you need to be.
The line helps you find those areas .
Also re using line, I’ve had best luck running laps just smoothly not pushing at all on the line then building the speed up over time as I get a better flow going, as you carry more speed on the driving line you will find it naturally widens you up some as speeds added.
I’ve always advocated using the driving line, but as your speed increases you will notice subtle areas where you run bigger arcs for more speed in a qualifying or no traffic type situation.
In traffic the line is a huge asset to know how to hold because it will keep you rotating tightly just inside the car behind which makes punting you difficult to impossible, also makes it tough to get inside that tight arc.
Braking a touch early is advisable in traffic also so if you get hit from behind you will still be in front.
If you push everything to the limit in heavy traffic it’s more likely you get pushed off line.
Staying on a tight racing line is never a bad skill to have on any track, especially in power fr cars.

Last edited:
To be honest I am starting to see less dirt. Could be things have settled down and the decent racers are staying at the top or I've been lucky. I have been seeing a lot of people in my tow brake early and backing out where a few weeks ago they would dive for the inside. I have had some great side by side battles including today. Absolutely clean stuff with a German and a Brit at Monza. I think we all said our congrats to each other after the race. There was a bit of mosh at Rettifilo lap 2 (Lap 1 was clean.) It's mostly people trying to push through hoping for ghosts. After that it was completely fine. I know I have put the kybosh on it now.:scared:
I also pulled off this fine out-thinking manoeuvre on a Frenchman. :cool:

Maybe I'm the exception, but in high downforce cars (gr3 and up) I often suck up close in the draft, and pull to the inside just before the braking zone, with no intention of passing. If I'm not along side by the brake zone, I won't pass unless running from the back and passing much slower drivers. I pull to the inside to get clean air so I can get it stopped. It's especially important (to me) to do that when I have traffic close behind me. Backing out way early works fine if you have a second or more to the guy behind, but if not, I pull inside to brake at my normal spot, and it keeps those behind me where they belong. Back off early and stay behind the guy I'm drafting, and someone WILL come up the inside if they're close.

Sounds like it's time to bring out the Black Beauty. :mischievous: That reminds me, I still have a pair of Mustang liveries that I need to finish.

At Monza, I have felt more confident to race the last few times it's been a Daily, as I've either been really lucky a bunch of times in a row, or learned how to protect myself from a lot of the worst stuff.

One thing I've committed to... rather than try to avoid things by outbraking people late into the chicanes... I try to brake easier and earlier, because it give you another dimension of control as you dive into the first apex... if you try to out brake someone, and they make a mistake, it's game over, but if you ease into it, you can either increase your braking late, give yourself some space on the way in, or turn offline to allow them to fly thru without contact, easier.

Yeah agree, especially in the Veyron which is all about exit speed.

Our first race last night was quite good, then it turned into mayhem in the next race, one guy was just causing utter bedlam right through the mid field.

Thing is, even a really mild push or nudge can mean slipping back into the pack and now you're at the whim of savages.

I hated the track until I put some time in and now most of the time I love it, well worth it as it flows very well once you get the hang of it.

You can always use this if you like.
6701436587205492752_23.jpg
I'm not sure if I want to stroke the car and feed it a Polo or punt it to hell.

Warmed up for the FIA with a quick race at Interlagos. Before the race a German calls every Spaniard a certain word beginning with 'P'.
Funny the filter allowed that through but Fuchsrohre which is a named part of a track in the game gets censored. Maybe because it is a 'profession'.
Predictably I see the German facing me in the midfield. He carries on and finishes last. Again a boring race where I only made positions to those spinning out. So much potential on this race and nothing really happens. A and C much more fun.

I hated the track until I put some time in and now most of the time I love it, well worth it as it flows very well once you get the hang of it.
I think I need to put a pile of laps in driving Gr4 or <N500 cars. I learn way better from driving the wheels off something slow than surviving in something fast. There is probably a reason why all 11 of my Daily Race victories are from race A (all on tracks I'd never seen before I got the game 5 weeks ago).

Seems like I've always struggled to go fast at Laguna Seca, even though I really like the track.
I gonna do some races from the back, just to have some fun.
It doesn't matter how many DR points my alt account loses. Maybe I'll figure out some ways to get better. 👍

Been having mostly clean race B this week, always a few fools but not bad.

The thing I wonder is do most people not bother to practice starts? I find people have no clue where to brake at the start of the race, I'm in AS & I've started 1st & 16th & everything between & I know where to brake if I start 2nd or 12th is not the same spot but most people don't seem to know this simple fact.
That's what has been driving me nuts, I look forward to starting dead last to lag back a bit to avoid the 1st turn carnage.
End rant.

I don't get this. There is literally 2 combos where the Veyron is useful in a group 4 race. Monza and SSRX. Enjoy driving and racing against a car you rarely see. I'd rather race in and against a few Veyrons than the masses of FF's we used to see.

I think I wasn't very clear with the issue, is not that the Veyron is the issue, is great there is an alternative fast car. Is that for most races in Gr4, there are 2 or 3 clearly fast car and the rest is significantly slower. In my area, Veyron is like the only car on top 10 in quali. I don't mind Veyron, I mind that there is always a slim number of fast cars available that is feasible for a win.

For Group 3 races, in most circuits, there appears to be a large range of viable cars. Some are clearly better for certain circuits but there is a large variety of cars that can win, or that there is room for skill to make up the difference.

I think I wasn't very clear with the issue, is not that the Veyron is the issue, is great there is an alternative fast car. Is that for most races in Gr4, there are 2 or 3 clearly fast car and the rest is significantly slower. In my area, Veyron is like the only car on top 10 in quali. I don't mind Veyron, I mind that there is always a slim number of fast cars available that is feasible for a win.

For Group 3 races, in most circuits, there appears to be a large range of viable cars. Some are clearly better for certain circuits but there is a large variety of cars that can win, or that there is room for skill to make up the difference.
Yeah I wasn't picking on you it's just that yours was the latest post bemoaning a near 1 make. I was making a general response.
It's Gr4 though, it seems to be the worst to balance. I think this is mainly about the various drivetrains involved. You have all four compared to just the 2 in Gr3. Each provides a different advantage and disadvantage. Problem is the disadvantages of some are removed by no fuel/ wear races and when they are put into those classes the multipliers are low enough that it makes no difference anyway. I share the frustration with Gr4, it needs a lot of work, but it's probably difficult to balance it due to the nature of the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back