"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
New M3? What's the difference with the oter 2 then?
This M3 brings the M3 count of GT Sport to two. The other one is a road car from 1989 and this one is a race car from 2011.

Hands up everyone here who has managed to mess up like this?:lol:

I was a bit tired last eve and like so many other GT nights, hindsight is great. I know now that I should have gone to bed. With a couple of hot laps Monday eve to find what car I liked on Brands I did not race. Tuesday there was a race starting literally as I powered up the PS4 so with no test laps and already tired I entered. I placed 5th on the grid using the Corvette (now you don't get many folks using that on Brands this week do you :D ) I had 2 Beetles, a 991 and an Evo ahead. By Paddock I was up the inside the 991 and into 4th, The two Beetles were fighting on Surtees and I got great drive coming out of the bend pushing me right up the middle of the two of them and into 2nd. The rest I'm not sure about. The Evo went off, no idea how or where but here I am with no warm up, tired, 5th on the grid and in 1st before I'm even into Hawthorn. Now my brain farted. With a combination of the adrenaline of a super start, the shock of finding myself in the lead, the image of two angry VWs in my fading in mirror, tiredness from the day and no practice and the some outer body experience where I could see my hands on the controller but had influence over their actions I locked the brakes, spun into a wall and parked in a gravel trap. Not even one lap and I went from 5th to 1st to last.

Ah well!:banghead:

6BK
Hands up everyone here who has managed to mess up like this?:lol:

With a combination of the adrenaline of a super start, the shock of finding myself in the lead, the image of two angry VWs in my fading in mirror, tiredness from the day and no practice and the some outer body experience where I could see my hands on the controller but had influence over their actions I locked the brakes, spun into a wall and parked in a gravel trap. Not even one lap and I went from 5th to 1st to last.

Ah well!:banghead:

Not quite. I had made it up reasonably high, P3 I think, at la Sarthe. At full throttle down Mulsanne I drove into the barriers instead of braking and turning for the chicane :dunce:.

Reactions: 6BK
Not quite. I had made it up reasonably high, P3 I think, at la Sarthe. At full throttle down Mulsanne I drove into the barriers instead of braking and turning for the chicane :dunce:.

Why waste energy braking when you can just drive into a barrier?

@6BK I use the 'vette, it's loose enough to turn in but stable enough not to fly off the road at the mere hint of touching a kerb or grass (looking at you Porsche).

My DR is taking a pounding, I just CANNOT do a full race at Brands without a spin, qualify in the top 5 or so, race in top 3 then spin every damn race. Lost 3,000 points this week.

Reactions: 6BK
Hi guys! How´s the brand new BMW M3 GT3 behaving on Brands Hatch??

I've done some qualifying laps. Me likey. I was able to improve on my previous qualifying time and I reckon there's still another second to be had at my limited skill level. The interesting thing will be to see what BoP does with it for fuel and tyres on a Race C.

Obviously I wasn't the only one who had been doing qualifying laps. Last night had me starting P7/15. Tonight with a faster time and a similar grid DR wise, and I was supposed to start P10/15. Come race start and it was P8/13. I was the only one trying out the M3. I liked it, but it's a bit of a balancing act on the exit of some corners. During the race I didn't feel I had the same confidence to commit to a corner the same way I could in qualifying :nervous:. Pole was another DR/C, but 2s faster than P2.

The race start wasn't too bad. I didn't get pushed off the track at T1 this time, but I did come across a guy who decided that he didn't like me passing him, so he tried to side swipe me on Cooper. I managed to stay on track and he dropped back. It was chaos. I kept getting rear ended at Westfield and Sheene's. I got dumped into the sand once at Sheene's. The driver involved didn't get a penalty that I could see, but he was going at slower than full pace. I got the impression he was waiting for me 👍. He was side by side headed to Paddock, so I braked to let him through, but the car behind decided to crowbar his way through as well.

The whole race was crazy. One guy spun like a top on the strait between Surtees and Hawthawn :eek:. At one stage I was P2, with the guy in P1 a full 11s ahead. All up I think I saw 4 orange SRs but no time penalties. In the end I finished P4. P2 would have been nice, but I'll take it :lol:.

And the damage? Despite seeing orange SRs on a Race B, I had a blue SR at final result :eek:. DR went up 500, so I now have 2.5k to spend on my visit to DR/C 👍. Day 2 of the journey :dopey:.

@6BK I use the 'vette, it's loose enough to turn in but stable enough not to fly off the road at the mere hint of touching a kerb or grass (looking at you Porsche).

My DR is taking a pounding, I just CANNOT do a full race at Brands without a spin, qualify in the top 5 or so, race in top 3 then spin every damn race. Lost 3,000 points this week.

Yeh, I tried the Porsche and while it's fast I didn't find it stable enough to race. Beetle was stable but not fast enough. Vette and Vantage were nearly the same for me. Vantage probably even more consistent. Only reason I went Vette was that I've 3,000 KM (2,000 MI) on the Vantage and 250 KM on the Vette so I wanted to try something new. Also, I just liveried the Vette...big kid syndrome.

4908928000490209320_23.jpg

Anyway, stability seems to have nothing to do with it. No matter what you drive at Brands you're gonna be facing backward at some point. As @Invisigoth said "The whole race was crazy" seems to sum up Brands.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to. I didn't know there was an update till you mentioned it :lol:. It's installing now. I bet they didn't fix the disconnect bug or the SR penalty for someone rear ending you :odd:.

Correct. I had time for a few at lunch, 3rd race, booted back to race select screen during loading track / waiting for other players :banghead:
So, still need to restart the game after every two races.

I haven't been bumped from behind yet, had a clean race bonus instead and got bumped off road by a car spinning out in the other, no penalty or SR Down for that.

These three races this week can screw off. Race A looks bad enough, Race B Gr.3 @ Brands Hatch is a terrible combination, but Race C brings out the worst in drivers. Lead an entire race up until lap 14 and then all of a sudden 2nd and 3rd got monster-grip and pulled away after 2nd bumped me T1 off line. Then when I was side by side From S2 to the start of the straight I got pinched off track.

In contrast, I'm finding Brands to be one of the nicest combinations in a long time. I've done 3 races so far (at B/A-S) and each one has been a well mannered and smooth experience. My SR has climbed back up to 98 with ease.

Everyone seems to have consistent pace, and divebombing is not happening. I'll be sad to lose this one I think.

Used to hate Brands Hatch - now it's my second favorite after Interlagos :) Extremely fun track - it makes you think you can always go 5-10 km/h faster on the corner and then it punishes you badly, I'm slowly crawling my way up to DR A again, after several bad races and being lowered to B.

Another "has anyone else ever...?" I forgot to race last night.:lol:

Took the new M3 around Brands for test laps and found it very nice indeed. A little different geared to the Vantage and Vette that I'd been using. Similar to the 991 the M3 goes 1 gear lower on some bends for me. Very stable, accelerates well, for me about .3 / .4 secs a lap off the Vette but much more consistent. Only issue was turn in wasn't as easy. I found myself go wide a bit on some corners. Then because I'm one of those weirdos that can't race a car that's not liveried I had to paint her...1 hour later and I've lost the night for racing. I did end up with this though:

6052846706235540536_23.jpg

I've decided to use the M3 GT from now on instead of the Corvette or RS-01. The M3 GT has the stability, probably more straight speed, but less turn in than the 911 RSR. I originally complained to myself that it's a 9+ year old design, but PD did the BOP balancing very well with the M3. Can't wait to see how it holds up in a race C weekly. Here's my M3 with a livery based on the 2010 ILMC car:
5053633628655878192_23.jpg

I bet they didn't fix the disconnect bug
I sadly have finally gotten the disconnect bug twice now, both times on the Gr.3 race at Brands. It's annoyingly stupid and it needs to be addressed ASAP.

I've decided to use the M3 GT from now on instead of the Corvette or RS-01. The M3 GT has the stability, probably more straight speed, but less turn in than the 911 RSR. I originally complained to myself that it's a 9+ year old design, but PD did the BOP balancing very well with the M3. Can't wait to see how it holds up in a race C weekly. Here's my M3 with a livery based on the 2010 ILMC car:
5053633628655878192_23.jpg

I sadly have finally gotten the disconnect bug twice now, both times on the Gr.3 race at Brands. It's annoyingly stupid and it needs to be addressed ASAP.

Same conclusion as myself on the M3 performance, particularly the observation on turn-in.

Another sad “must livery before racing” person. Nice job!

Did my first daily races last night this year as I've not been able to play anything other than the FIA stuff recently, if at all. And wow, great fun. So nice to be able to race without the worry of fuel/tyres and just flat out sprint to the finish (Brands Gr3 combo). Managed to net 5/6 wins in the races I did too which raised my DR to over 70k for the first time. May even have another crack again tonight!

6BK
Yup, the can't sleep - can't drive time of the day. I did the same thing Tuesday night...3,000 lost on DR and dropped back to DR D again.
I've already lost DR after one race. Bumped from behind when racing clean, 5 second penalty, try to delete penalty as clean as I can while still retaining the lead, another 5 second penalty, purposely block multiple times to try and recover from previous unfair penalties, kind of works given both before and after net third place with penalty time.
I benefited from racing dirty only after being punished for racing clean. That's a clear indication for me to stop racing, no matter what time of day it is.

Used to hate Brands Hatch - now it's my second favorite after Interlagos :) Extremely fun track - it makes you think you can always go 5-10 km/h faster on the corner and then it punishes you badly, I'm slowly crawling my way up to DR A again, after several bad races and being lowered to B.
Enjoyed race b in last 2 nights. Hugh respect among racers on the track. Though overtaking was limited in race. A train of GT3 cars was spectacular. Steal one victory by staying on track. Haha
C371A852-63E3-4E0E-8174-8A67514DF1E6.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back