"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry about whatever happened in that last race. I was hammered, and just now woke up from a nap.

In real life, yes, actually I can drive a car better than anyone I know. However, I just don't get the correlation between that and GT Sport. I think too many folks want to put those two things in the same category. To me, it's a video game. To each, their own. I am slower with my wheel, than I am with my controller. I'm just not willing to commit to spending months to try to get as fast with the thing, as I already am without it. I really want to get the Playseat and wheel out of my damn living room, but just don't want to throw it away, because I'm sure someone would like to use it.

I really do appreciate guys like @Pigems and @Oshawa-Joe who went out of their way to help and encourage me with it, but it aint gonna happen for me.

When we had the Z8 race at BB Raceway, I switched from D pad to left stick, which has helped. If I ever go to R2/L2 for throttle and brake modulation, instead of the X and [ ] buttons, that would probably be my peak speed. I don't want to do it now, because those are my shifters.

I believe it's the pedals that make some people faster (and in some cases, the shifting). I'm certain it's not the steering.

If the wheels and stands were not as chunky as they are..
Most of tha times i wanna race, but I just cba pulling out the folded wheel stand and connecting one cable, other cable, switching profile to wheel.. So much hassle! It's actually shocking that the technology is advancing for controllers, where they're wireless, gyro, speaker and what not, while wheels haven't really changed significantly since I was a kid, and that's 20 years ago..
Sure they got little bit better drives, belts, pedals, but it's still that basic '95 wheel, only with usb instead of serial port.

So I can understand the lack of arsing to hassle with the wheel, it just doesn't beat the simplicity of picking up the controller and playing 10s later.

YAY! Finally got my lap time to sub-2 minutes for race A!!!! Nothing for most of you but a "goal achieved" for me!! 1:59.6xx :)

Guy on pole was 1:51.xxx !!! How on earth.....:confused: EDIT - Just watched Pigem's video which shows you exactly how!! Brilliant, I will have to study, thanks! I'll just get the hang of it and it will be gone.

Put me 6th in a race, which I eventually finished 10th (turned TC completely off and wobbled a couple of times plus punted off twice!!) which took my DR from 300+ to.... er.... 1. No worries, used to that score!

Some real dirty lunge driving at the weekend - punted off, by the looks of it on purpose, twice. At least I didn't get SR down on one of them but not happy to see the punters got no penalty either time. And this in an S/A SR room.

All good fun and getting into it slowly.
I was having the hardest time getting out of the 1.56's until I watched the top replay and noticed how the driver exited the hairpin. Realized I needed to be in 2nd Gear and not 1st and it automatically shaved a second off my time the next lap and then took me into the 1.54's shortly after in both race and quali pace. Absolutely must use manual mode! Square and X to shift. When I learned that I felt like I'd been brain dead for the longest time at how easy it is and why I hadn't been doing it before. For Daily Race A, it makes a massive difference in the power delivery of the car and helps control immensely.

Turning on the cones is also an excellent driver aid without feeling like you're cheating or being led, as well. Brake at two cones, turn at one!

In all honestly, I can’t believe there hasn’t been a person/company who has created a dedicated racing/driving controller, racing games have been around for so long that it seems like something like that should have been around for years by now.
Sarcastically: They have those! They're made by Fanatec, Logitech and Thrustmaster!

Seriously: I know what you mean, there is certainly room in between the DS4 and an entry level wheel like the T150 for something that is more structured around racing games. Shift lights, a "gated" steering analog with a longer travel stick with more resistance to help consistency would be huge. Stiffer R2/L2 buttons with longer travel as well.

Last edited:
Will be sad when the Ferrari race is over. Raised my Rs to S and B respectively got one pole and two wins... but I get absolutely smoked when I'm in the fast lobby (with the likes of the Sturk-man). Too much fun.
Agreed. It's a pretty good car/track combo. The combo makes a ton of difference. Coming into this week, I was something like 0 for 30 on that track (I think that was mostly in Gr.4 cars). Did we race together? I hope I didn't bump you.

It's been fun, and I definitely got smoked a few times, too. The cool thing about racing aliens like Pokey is that if you ever do manage to pass them (only happened once yesterday, and it was short-lived :lol:) they don't punt you off the track to get back by you. It's pretty impressive to me when a guy will let you have the preferred line, and still pass you cleanly using an unconventional entry and, or exit. 👍

@Oshawa-Joe thank you

Nah. No bump. You *were* pretty hammered, evidently. I was just all star struck to be in the same lobby, tbh.
<i know that dude.gif>
Actual gif would have been funnier.
Sorry. Yeah, I think it would be best if I cut down on my beer intake while racing (obviously). This may be hard for some to believe, but I absolutely never get drunk when I'm not racing. :odd:

Here ya go:

QF 1:57.206
Got the triple double 10/10/10.
10 poles /10 wins in a row /10 clean races

9D8145CE-6535-4FD5-9246-54BA56D11536.jpeg

First race of today just now, was another good one. A little sloppiness on my part as it was my first, but i was alone in second with a few seconds on either side so no pressure at least. Got a stupid penalty on the last lap though and the guy in 3rd made a big push so i ended up finishing behind him after the math...

Btw, is there something wrong with me that i honestly do not care about my dr and sr rateing (that looks wrong) but i still do this....

15545868642992123358468.jpg

Seriously, why am i doing this.... old habits die hard???

First race of today just now, was another good one. A little sloppiness on my part as it was my first, but i was alone in second with a few seconds on either side so no pressure at least. Got a stupid penalty on the last lap though and the guy in 3rd made a big push so i ended up finishing behind him after the math...

Btw, is there something wrong with me that i honestly do not care about my dr and sr rateing (that looks wrong) but i still do this....

View attachment 812722

Seriously, why am i doing this.... old habits die hard???
No DR resets? :banghead: Must be nice. 👍

No DR resets? :banghead: Must be nice. 👍

I like DR resets! I don't like SR farming though, I rather just race clean yet PD disagrees on what 'clean' racing looks like :lol:

I'm going to enter the battle royale again, signed up for the next Suzuka derby. Muscles sore from cycling, fingers should still work somewhat. Starting 19th of 20. I could hang back or go for it from the start. Ehh let's go, foot down, let the chips fall where they may. Oh 20th already quit, can't lose any positions now!

7 quit during the race. I passed 4th with boost just before the last lap, then he punted me off in T1... Sure I passed him again at the penalty zone, yet in the mean time 2 others had passed. Then I ran out of fuel as I had not calculated in a punt and getting out of the wobbly stuff from a standstill. The punter almost passed me again yet crashed before the finish :lol:

I did a second race which went pretty well. I did not get bumped off beyond the now standard banging and bumping. 5th place finish, could have made a run for 4th yet at the crucial moment hit down shift instead of boost, engine braking instead of boosting...

Is it just in my races or is everyone leaving as soon as the race is over. Hardly any post race chat anymore. Also not many familiar faces. I think I'm good for today, kinda bored of this weeks selection. Car is fun, Suzuka is old.

Last edited:
In all honestly, I can’t believe there hasn’t been a person/company who has created a dedicated racing/driving controller, racing games have been around for so long that it seems like something like that should have been around for years by now.
20 years ago Namco were messing around with some novel ideas for Ridge Racer but it never really went any further.
The Negcon and Jogcon were great. Well, compared to the d pad anyway.
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/04/that-time-ridge-racer-got-its-own-super-weird-controller/

Next week looks interesting. I've never seen the Lago West II in the Daily before. Maybe the Cayman or probably the 4C as it has different liveries? Catalunya Gr.3 and N200 One Make(GRMN or 86?).

Autodrome Lago Maggiore - West II
5 Laps 12 Players Car(s): GR4 | Specially Provided Car BoP: OnSettings: Fixed Tire: Racing: Hard DR Limit: None

The start at Suzuka is very similar to playing Russian roulette :banghead:

It's getting more and more aggressive, nothing but bumping all the way to the hairpin. And why not, the penalty system is so broken. One race I got bumped off twice by the same player. One a dive bomb at the chicane, bumped me into the green stuff and passed, no penalty. The other after the hairpin, rammed me off the road into the grass on the way to spoon. Again no penalty, blue S, keep doing what you're doing.

Meanwhile, when you get punted off at the start
8Zi1As8.gif

There's the reason people don't slow down for traffic. 3 sec penalty, back to 20th place at the penalty zone.
Exact same situation here. I got punted twice in two races and found myself in last place. I almost rage quit but THANKFULLY in my third race, I managed to stay out of trouble. Doesn't anyone know how to drive these cars? I have never seen soo much rubbish in a daily race before; people were going off the track and pushing each other as if they didn't understand how to race. People can't control the car it seems.

Also, one stop or no stop? I'm not sure what's better.

Just got booted from Race B. restarted PS4, tried to enter Sport Mode
D3grm91UcAAG_gf.jpg

I'm in the RAce B Race Entry screen now, but that has never happened to me.

Managed to get 2 in this mornin before having to go.
Suzuka race is so fun.
Back to 99 plus 900 dr.
Clean races highlighted by one great 4 lap battle with multiple position changes.
Awesome combo.
Love pen zones!!!!!

The Steam Controller looks pretty good.... not sure how it compares to a DS4 with gyro enabled or if it will work with PS4 / GTS.

Exact same situation here. I got punted twice in two races and found myself in last place. I almost rage quit but THANKFULLY in my third race, I managed to stay out of trouble. Doesn't anyone know how to drive these cars? I have never seen soo much rubbish in a daily race before; people were going off the track and pushing each other as if they didn't understand how to race. People can't control the car it seems.

Also, one stop or no stop? I'm not sure what's better.

One stop, unless you like cars humping your back bumper for the last 4 laps :lol: The tire wear will slow you down while boost happy racers will not compensate for your earlier braking points. It's a quick way to a DR reset ;)

People have figured out that pushing and bumping works in their favor. The car getting bumped gets the SR Down and penalties aren't handed out for minor contact. It's all fair game now :(

Instead of racing I've been banging my head against another brick wall. Windows 10. My laptop will not turn off anymore when my DS4 controller is connected to it (for charging). 2 hours later browsing support, nothing works, only disconnecting the controller :banghead: Even manually turning off the display, connect controller, display turns back on argh. Wifi, wireless, nothing but trouble!

One stop, unless you like cars humping your back bumper for the last 4 laps :lol: The tire wear will slow you down while boost happy racers will not compensate for your earlier braking points. It's a quick way to a DR reset ;)

People have figured out that pushing and bumping works in their favor. The car getting bumped gets the SR Down and penalties aren't handed out for minor contact. It's all fair game now :(

Instead of racing I've been banging my head against another brick wall. Windows 10. My laptop will not turn off anymore when my DS4 controller is connected to it (for charging). 2 hours later browsing support, nothing works, only disconnecting the controller :banghead: Even manually turning off the display, connect controller, display turns back on argh. Wifi, wireless, nothing but trouble!
The no stop actually worked for me in my second race, as it allowed me to gain a few positions after a dismal start. But in the next race, it didn't work at all and I had to let the fast guys go past:lol: I did inherit the lead there for a while.

Need some opinions from you guys on an incident I had at Suzuka today. I started 14th, worked my way up to 6th, but on the last lap, was fighting to keep 7th place when this happened. I got a 3-second penalty and finished 10th.

My side of the story: I'm in the green car. For sure, the car in 8th was gaining on me, but I think he chose the worst place to attempt an overtake. He turned in on me when I was right on the apex in the S turns. If you look at my steering inputs, I was turning all the way to the left and understeering. I was off-throttle, and I didn't run him off on purpose, but I felt he picked a bad spot to pass me. He went off the track, but I stayed on the tarmac and got slapped with a 3-second penalty. He quit the race shortly thereafter. FYI, everyone in this race was S rank SR.

Honest opinions, please. I'm trying to learn. Thanks!

So just been in a daily race B ad got disconnected from server but I must have been PD side as my internet did not drop out and has incredibly reliable and strong connection. This week I have gained nearly 6000 SR. Lost a couple thousand yesterday in FIA for being punters off in both races (SR 99). And this disconnection has just lost me another thousand. How can I report this to PD and has it happened to anyone else? Was 2nd on lap 3 going in to last corner. So bloody irritating!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back