"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still gradually grinding my SR. Finally reached back up to DRB/SRA by running Race B and not running side by side with people. It's a bummer because driving two wide is some of the funnest racing in the game but under this current penalty system, you just can't trust anyone. So, I would stay behind packs of cars and let them beat each other up or give away free passes just to protect my SR. One weird kept trying to dive bomb me at every corner even snow plowing me and throwing somebody else off of the track just to get the inside line.

On lap 4 on the last turn of the Red Bull ring, I hug the apex and protect my sweet 6th place position and this chooch comes flying in over the yellow hip to take the lead. I ease off of the pedal just to see where he's going and he immediately gets docked with the half-second penalty giving me back my 6th place win. I compliment the dork on his pass in chat, as it's the only recourse I have for his trash driving.

GT Sport tests your threshold for pain.

I did 2 Race C’s at Interlagos in the past hour. Have a 1.34 quali time so started 6th on the grid in a C/S field.

So refreshing to hear from an average driver like me :-)

The Atenza feels really awkward during race on Interlagos - I don't know what it is but it loses grip really easily, also the understeer is a bit too much IMO, don't know how to properly drive it, as soon as I start releasing the brakes on T1 and the rear snaps a bit, then when I press on the gas on T3 the understeer comes....really strange

Average driver here: Yup, my experience of the Atenza, too. Oddly, I can go faster in Godzilla, by a fair margin, and that car is not known for its sweet handling!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am total noob on GT Sport. Recently got a wheel. Struggling to match my controller pace. I am easily around 2 seconds slower. Thinking of concentrating only on daily race A for this week. Any suggestion on how I could Improve my lap times

I am total noob on GT Sport. Recently got a wheel. Struggling to match my controller pace. I am easily around 2 seconds slower. Thinking of concentrating only on daily race A for this week. Any suggestion on how I could Improve my lap times
Greetings! I'm a 'noob', too, only starting in December. Not that it is going to help you, but I've heard that comment about adjusting to the wheel a lot.

OTOH, I had zero experience of any kind of racing/driving sim, and at age 59, I can tell you, it was a challenge. I would have thought that a wheel would be a more natural thing for us humans, as we drive cars daily, but I suppose players like you have gotten used to the way a controller feels, and built muscle memory for that, hence the confusion. Am I right?

Welcome to :gtpflag:

I changed from a controller on auto gears, to a wheel.

I'd recommend setting a hot lap in practice mode with the controller, then chase that ghost with the wheel and just keep piling the laps in.

Once you're equal or passing your controller ghost, load up a top ten lap ghost and chase that.

The speed will come with practice, try to be smoother with the wheel as catching slides is harder than on the controller.

As race A is a no tuning event, experiment with the brake balance and find a setting that suits you, -5 was good for me.

Good luck.

Read this

547E3139-16DB-4FBD-A23C-B812E3AC2C9A.jpeg

Sticking with Interlagos this week, and sticking with the Aston as it seems to work well there and I refuse to use the Atenza or the Beetle which seems to be the next most popular option. Started 17th, and got dive-bombed at the first corner, but kept it on the road, and then followed the dive-bomber as he worked his way up the field, barge-passing and punting everyone he caught. Eventually he found someone just as dirty and got pushed off himself, I tried to pass this guy cleanly, but got blocked and bumped a load of times, fortunately he got a 0.5s penalty on the last lap, and I sat behind him to take 4th with that. DR up to an all time high of just over 13k (I know), but down to 96SR, thought this race had been cleaner that the previous day that left me at 99!

Still think this race is a bit of a missed opportunity, Race C doesn't necessarily need a pit stop, but the tyre wear should at least be noticeable or the fuel marginal, I don't think I've had to adjust for it at all.

Yeah...if you don't learn the Atenza this week then you are in for a long week in race C. I don't think anything can really compete with it and it will turn out to be a one make race eventually. It is just the best car for that track/race combo.

In the higher lobbies, the GTR, in the right hands is mighty quick. My best in the GTR, was a 32.8, but seen a few people in 1:30s with it. But personally, I agree, the Atenza is the quickest round there.

Some frightful lobbies out there. Quali time of 1:30.0 and that was only good enough for P19 on the grid.

I'm trying to get used to the Atenza, but in the race I'm not really hooking up with it yet (I did better my qualytime by 0.2 tenths after just a few laps compared to the 911 and AMG). Resulting in a mixed bag last evening, 1 okay race, 1 where I made a mistake which left me lonely for the remaining 11 laps in the back:lol:

In my third and last race last night I got pushed wide at T4 L1, looking in hindsight this frustrated me too much. Made up some places that race but looking back I was way too aggressive, even pulling a full Hamilton vs. Alex Albon in the last lap to a poor Frenchman.
Wasn't pretty, I did apologize but will have to learn from this to recognize it earlier and back out:crazy:

@Supercededman, hello there fellow noob. I have decided to forget that I ever played with a controller and start a fresh with the wheel. Today is first day of the rest of my life. Hahahahaha.

@numbnuts70, that’s great suggestion, didn’t know you could set up ghost laps from other players. So much to learn

@Groundfish, will definitely check it out.

well one thing I realised was that the conical mod on the T3PA pedals is ****. Couldn’t get any consist feedback from it. I removed the conical bit and shoved a squash ball in there. I feel much more confident on the brakes now.

did some hot laps today for race A. Down to high 1.29s. Loving the wheel.

one thing I didn’t see mentioned anywhere with regards to controller vs wheel is that the controller is far more tiring to use than a wheel. On the wheel I can keep doing hot laps all day long. On the controller, my fingers would ache after a few hours.

I struggled pretty badly as well and it was actually a lot more frustrating than I expected. I tried using slow cars and progressively working my way up to other classes but I didn't really have the time or attention span for that. So I went back and tried to beat my times for the circuit experience challenges. Breaking tracks down by sector helped me focus on one thing at a time and it exposes you to a variety of cars and tracks. After a few days I was matching and then eventually beating my controller times. Once I felt like I was functional with the wheel I jumped into the daily races.

Also, the Speed Secrets book is fantastic. I'd honestly recommend that to anyone - controller or wheel.

I struggled pretty badly as well and it was actually a lot more frustrating than I expected. I tried using slow cars and progressively working my way up to other classes but I didn't really have the time or attention span for that. So I went back and tried to beat my times for the circuit experience challenges. Breaking tracks down by sector helped me focus on one thing at a time and it exposes you to a variety of cars and tracks. After a few days I was matching and then eventually beating my controller times. Once I felt like I was functional with the wheel I jumped into the daily races.

Also, the Speed Secrets book is fantastic. I'd honestly recommend that to anyone - controller or wheel.

Absolutely agree with this, when I got my wheel I jumped straight back into sport mode, and DR dropped, I then went to the Nordschleife Circuit Experience and kept going until I'd golded it, went back to sport mode and I was faster than with the pad.

I started out with the R8 and was literally the slowest car on the track and finished next to last. Since I switched to the Atenza I am running close to the front runners every time and gapping those behind fairly easily if they are not in an Atenza.

Opposite here, I'm slightly faster in the R8 and I find it's more stable. I don't think the Atenza is the be-all and end-all for this race. I've seen AMGs, Mustangs, GT-Rs and 911s finish ahead of them often. Although ultimately, it's better to use the car you're more comfortable using.

Good morning friends,
Late last night I partook in some c races. I had a lot of fun, but my gosh did I get a run of bad luck for a while with Ticky tack limits pens, and a few dirty drivers, and a few contact penalties for what I have no fricken idea. Overall fun and kept my 99 sr by the end of the session..I haven’t had that much bad luck in a while...
So, I was checking my sr and happened to glance at number of races...
I’m pretty certain the worst one was race #666...lol

Still 99, Devil, I told you once you sob I’m the best there’s ever been!

Cheers and good luck!

Not much time for racing lately. I did run some laps at RBR to check out cars. Decided to do 5 laps in each car. Ran the 4c, lambo, aston, vette, jag, viper and mustang. I was fastest in the mustang with a 37.4. As everyone knows, I hate FWD racecars, and almost never drive, let alone race them. Had to try the rcz with all the fast times it's putting up, just to see. 1st lap was .1 sec off my best, 5 laps had me below 37 so I ran another 5. Ended with a 36.6. 50 laps of chasing the top ghost an I figure I could get close to 36 flat, or below. With almost no time on front drivers, it will take some laps, and maybe watching a replay or two, to get a good, clean lap in. The 36.6 wasn't either. Rediculous how much faster than all the rear drivers this thing is. Pretty disgusting if you ask me.
I think I know the answer, but it this race turning into a one make? I might say THWI and drive the stang anyway. I'm sure I'll say bye-bye to my newly found (again) A rating if I do. Oh well, (not so) easy come, (very) easy go!

@sturk0167 Congratulations on making it to A+ ,also excellent lap time @ WILLOW .
Thank you, Al. :cheers:
Check this out. I found an image that shows all of the Willow Springs tracks together.
They should go a little further uphill from Horse Thief Mile, and make a dirt track. That would be awesome! 👍
willow-springs-earth-lg.jpg

By the way, from this angle, Big Willow looks like an extremely easy track. :lol:

Thank you, Al. :cheers:
Check this out. I found an image that shows all of the Willow Springs tracks together.
They should go a little further uphill from Horse Thief Mile, and make a dirt track. That would be awesome! 👍
willow-springs-earth-lg.jpg

By the way, from this angle, Big Willow looks like an extremely easy track. :lol:

What’s the little track to the upper left on the Main track?

They use that for drifting. Just to the southwest of the pits is a go-kart track, and there is a skid pad that is part of the final turn for Streets of Willow. East of Streets is a couple of figure 8 tracks. It's a pretty eclectic complex.

Thanks for the info! :cheers: The Go Kart track looks wicked, we need that in GT for the Karts. :)

Next week's races are already up:

A - Gr.4 (specially provided car) - Suzuka East - 7 laps
B - Gr.3 - Spa - 3 laps
C - Gr.4 - Dragon Trail - Seaside II 10 laps - 3x fuel, 5x tyres

Guessing the FF cars at Suzuka, and again a no-stopper at DTS, tyre wear probably won't even be enough to stop the FF cars dominating.

Next week's races are already up:

A - Gr.4 (specially provided car) - Suzuka East - 7 laps
B - Gr.3 - Spa - 3 laps
C - Gr.4 - Dragon Trail - Seaside II 10 laps - 3x fuel, 5x tyres

Guessing the FF cars at Suzuka, and again a no-stopper at DTS, tyre wear probably won't even be enough to stop the FF cars dominating.

The Lambo usually wins out at Seaside in Gr.4 if I remember correctly.

DR has took a bit if tanking in daily race C today. Lost a total of 2.5K DR and 14 SR due to just some really stupid driving by others. Tried the Mazda and Mercedes AMG GT3 in the first two races and didn't get on the Mazda and didn't have any luck in the Merc. I switched to the Porsche where I faired slightly better aside from getting shunted of a couple of times. Also daily race C really is dull with no strategy or chance to be clever with fuel really brings out dive-bombers and idiots as they have to do something on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back