"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting a race on hards up front is a great way to get mugged at the start

I learned that lesson last week, would only start on the harder compounds in future if well down the grid, through away a race in Monza when I started on pole on the hard tyres.

why is fuel never a factor anymore? I liked the races where you had to plan for tires and manage your fuel weather it be by short shifting or fuel map
FYI and this is from better people than me, @Pigems IIRK, fuel map sucks just short shift. Apparently you'll go faster and save more. Can't 100% confirm, but trying it seems to work better than when I used the map.

I prefer to start on hards, but always decide after I see my grid position and competitors' times. Last night at RBR I started on pole, then in P2. I chose mediums with the plan on getting away. First race the guy on pole must have qualified on hards, was sandbagging, or just had an incredible race pace. He stuffed it up the inside of T2 and I chased him all race. He won by about 5 seconds, and I had 12 or 13 on P3. He qualified about .6 behind me. Second race I got by into first when the pole sitter overcooked T2 on the first lap. He finished back 7-8 seconds from me I think. @GOTMAXPOWER started on hards from the back, and caught me when he was on mediums (lap 11). If I could time travel, I would have started on hards, and may have pulled out a win, but if you need to battle up front, and guys with your pace are on mediums, you'll get killed. Sounds like the "new" penalty settings will make that scenario worse. Racing from the back? sounds like fun!

You are right of course. I have a proper ratio of caffeine to blood cells running around my body so I am a little less grumpy than I was this morning and I can see that now.

I am changing my racing plans for the week though and will probably be running race B for the next couple of days at least. I am also doing offline practise on hards to try and come to grips (haha) with those while not messing other folks races up when I inevitably cock it up. Once I feel more comfortable I will be venture back into Race C at some point.

Some adjustments but I will figure it out eventually I hope.

Edit: I am still a bit disappointed that some of the strategy in race C has been removed as that was one of the things I enjoyed about these races.

Agreed. For race C PD needs to create the levers so that there are competing strategies. And sometimes they manage it. Not this week. For example, Race C with the 8 second stop had people trying 1 vs 2 stops. If the mediums were optional I would have tried a zero stopper on hards. Three strategies!

With an 18 second stop and similar/same cars... now we have just one.

<sarcasm>Oooh... Oooh... I forgot... hard before soft vs soft before hard... it does not get more exciting than that. <endSarcasm>

FYI and this is from better people than me, @Pigems IIRK, fuel map sucks just short shift. Apparently you'll go faster and save more. Can't 100% confirm, but trying it seems to work better than when I used the map.
Yea I never used the map but guys drive with auto gearbox that would be the only way they can save but short shift is always better. I don’t much like managing fuel either but it is an aspect of real racing and by no means do I consider any of this real was just wondering why it is not around anymore

Last edited:
Yea I never used the map but guys drive with auto gearbox that would be the only way they can save but short shift is always better. I don’t much like managing fuel either but it is an aspect of real racing and by no means do I consider any of this real was just wondering why it is not around anymore
Yeah I like having fuel as an issue. It might just be the difference between how long you pit rather than an extra stop but it adds another thing to think about.

Well, I have tested the new penalty system in an Sr8x lobby on my 2nd account. I lasted 6 laps, being shoved and dived at least 4-5 times myself and pushed around several times by cars that were pushed and dived by others.

It's a complete joke - and funny thing is I have races with at least 4-5 people from that lobby and they were behaving in an acceptable way when there was risk of getting "unfair" penalties.

I can't speak for anyone else's experience with the new penalty system but I did three races at Red Bull Ring this morning, with my DR just crossing over to A again and my SR at 99. They were shockingly close/fair from my perspective, and I didn't see any undeserved penalties, whereas over the past two days they were happening very frequently. It'll probably get more chaotic in the evening, but as of right now I don't have to live in fear that every inconsequential contact (or being collected by someone who is already in the process of spinning out) will award me with a two-second penalty. Even if the system is more lenient on intentionally dirty drivers, I would prefer that and just try to avoid them so I can maintain high ratings; my SR was constantly getting ****ed in the previous system just from incidents that were unavoidable/inconsequential, so I was stuck with the dirty drivers anyway.

I can confirm that I did this with every race that actually required a fuel strategy. It was so obvious who was using even a slightly leaner fuel setting because they would be dramatically down on power, even compared to short-shifting.

If anything they should let us set the fuel load manually.

Last edited:
Group 2.

Up until this week, the Nissan Motul GT-R has been the META. It dominates both the Top 10 QT and the races. The Lexus "RC F" is the distant runner up.

This week, the Honda (Raybrig NSX) is dominating the Top 10 QT board. In the race I saw just two.

Group 3 has a wide variation between the cars but these three all feel quite similar - similar shift points - similar tire wear - similar lap times - all 2016 vintage. I was able to set my QT in the Honda after trying all three and used the Lexus and the Nissan in my two races.

Anyone have any advice on what special about each car and how to best exploit that in race trim?

Or, is it "yeah, they are all the same so throw on some paint and go" ?

Last edited:
Well, that was it, the racing was good (nearly perfect) in the morning when people were still avoiding other cars like in the old penalty system, without the stupid penalties for the slightest touch.

Tonight, there's no point racing. It's just chaos.

Bye-bye daily races, welcome back FIA (although I'm worried about that too).

Thanks PD geniuses!

Last edited:
Group 2.

Up until this week, the Nissan Motul GT-R has been the META. It dominates both the Top 10 QT and the races. The Lexus "RC F" is the distant runner up.

This week, the Honda (Raybrig NSX) is dominating the Top 10 QT board. In the race I saw just two.

Group 3 has a wide variation between the cars but these three all feel quite similar - similar shift points - similar tire wear - similar lap times - all 2016 vintage. I was able to set my QT in the Honda after trying all three and used the Lexus and the Nissan in my two races.

Anyone have any advice on what special about each car and how to best exploit that in race trim?

Or, is it "yeah, they are all the same so throw on some paint and go" ?

I struggle in the NSX, will try again tonight but I have not used it in ages. The Nissan just feels solid, the Toyota is fine of fresh tyres but as they wear i find she squirms more. It's subtle between the two but it is there.

Yes it seems better tonight. Had a really good race A. No issues or people being the bumper cars as described above.

Race C was much the same. Plenty of close racing and not one punt. I did get to penalties for rear end contact despite my best efforts to slow in time. Fair.
Last lap guy behind goes for a late move into Remus and shoves me wide. I return the favour into turn 4 with a late move and nudge his rear quarter to get past. Neither of us get a penalty but I guess you can return the favour when it suits.

With the longer pit lane I wish you followed your car rather than watching your pit crew stand there gormless for a few seconds.

Last edited:
I hadn't touched GT Sport for about a month before this week but Sardegna C is a favorite of mine. Good quali time for my D level but started 7th in mixed lobby with As thru Ds. After a 3 second penalty on turn 1 that was that. Second try started 3rd in all D lobby. Took inside line to lead after turn 1. After trading places with p2 and back, stayed on top last 3 laps, first win in months! That was before today's update. I'm terrible with Gr. 2 cars and I hate DT Gardens with a passion, but Saregna and road cars seem to be my sweet spot. High risk, high reward week!

Well, that was it, the racing was good (nearly perfect) in the morning when people were still avoiding other cars like in the old penalty system, without the stupid penalties for the slightest touch.

Tonight, there's no point racing. It's just chaos.

Bye-bye daily races, welcome back FIA (although I'm worried about that too).

Thanks PD geniuses!

Somehow after just 3 races earlier today I already got the feeling this was going to happen because of the changes, it will turn into the kind of racing you get in the lobbies or maybe it already has. Just off to try a few more now and honestly I'm not expecting them to be clean in the sense that people where trying their best to give each other room so as not to get a penalty as without the worry why would you be too conservative.

3 B races this evening, and not one penalty for anybody - have they gone back to the no penalty system they had before?

If anyone is thinking of the NSX for race C, remember there can be cars good for a flying lap but garbage in the race. The Lexus is the best on saving tires, easy braking and actually coasting a touch for some turns really helps this as well. The GTRs are solid on tires, but do tend to burn through them a bit faster. The NSX eats tires for breakfast. It is almost as if that thing has blades under the wheel arches shredding them. Be careful what you run. Outside of really amazing car control guys I am almost always flying past an NSX at the end of a tire stint, even if we are running the same lapped tires.

If anyone is thinking of the NSX for race C, remember there can be cars good for a flying lap but garbage in the race. The Lexus is the best on saving tires, easy braking and actually coasting a touch for some turns really helps this as well. The GTRs are solid on tires, but do tend to burn through them a bit faster. The NSX eats tires for breakfast. It is almost as if that thing has blades under the wheel arches shredding them. Be careful what you run. Outside of really amazing car control guys I am almost always flying past an NSX at the end of a tire stint, even if we are running the same lapped tires.

That is very useful and is the kind of insight I am looking for as the NSX *does* appear to the be fastest in QT.

So far, I have tried the Lexus and Nissan GTR in race. I cannot determine any meaningful difference - just do not have the feel for it.

I ran 9 Medium laps on both the Nissan and the Lexus. As I recall the Nissan did look like it has a bit more wear... will need to go back and look at the replays.

Last edited:
why is fuel never a factor anymore? I liked the races where you had to plan for tires and manage your fuel weather it be by short shifting or fuel map
The last two Race C's in particular, you'd finish the race with roughly a half tank left... just double the multiplier and make it interesting... :cool:

It's not that simple, I use the NSX and granted it was a challenge to drive at first and I thought I would never be able to turn TC off but it made me a better driver and I only ever use TC on 1 for some of the 1st lap on hard tyres, just done a race where I set the fastest lap on the hards on lap 7, pitted on 8 (Could have done more) and set fastest lap on Mediums on lap 10. I spent far to long in just 2 or 3 cars in the game and it took me a while to learn how to drive cars that I stayed away from because I just couldn't get them out of corners without TC turned on. I know I can do a slightly faster time in the Gt-R as it was my go to car in the past but I know look at the fastest times and see cars I never used in the top 10 and use them and it has made me a better driver.

On another note the changes to the penalty system let you race but already as I said before I think it's gone to far the other way, I was tapped and spun at turn 2 on RBR by a guy who made no effort to avoid me and he drove off penalty free where I lost 8sec and 6 places in that sector by the time I got it straightened up, race B was no better with people now going for overtakes in places that you just can't overtake cleanly. Maybe I need to get more aggressive?

Last edited:
It's not that simple, I use the NSX and granted it was a challenge to drive at first and I thought I would never be able to turn TC off but it made me a better driver and I only ever use TC on 1 for some of the 1st lap on hard tyres, just done a race where I set the fastest lap on the hards on lap 7, pitted on 8 (Could have done more) and set fastest lap on Mediums on lap 10. I spent far to long in just 2 or 3 cars in the game and it took me a while to learn how to drive cars that I stayed away from because I just couldn't get them out of corners without TC turned on. I know I can do a slightly faster time in the Gt-R as it was my go to car in the past but I know look at the fastest times and see cars I never used in the top 10 and use them and it has made me a better driver.

On another note the changes to the penalty system let you race but already as I said before I think it's gone to far the other way, I was tapped and spun at turn 2 on RBR by a guy who made no effort to avoid me and he drove off penalty free where I lost 8sec and 6 places in that sector by the time I got it straightened up, race B was no better with people now going for overtakes in places that you just can't overtake cleanly. Maybe I need to get more aggressive?
I am definitely not saying you have to avoid the NSX, but you have to be aware of what you are getting into. There are definitely huge bonuses to learning the different cars as you have to learn new driving styles and techniques to make them work. Always improving as a driver. Glad to see you can handle that NSX. I know it is fast, but I havent managed to control it enough to trust myself around others with it.

I prefer to start on hards, but always decide after I see my grid position and competitors' times. Last night at RBR I started on pole, then in P2. I chose mediums with the plan on getting away. First race the guy on pole must have qualified on hards, was sandbagging, or just had an incredible race pace. He stuffed it up the inside of T2 and I chased him all race. He won by about 5 seconds, and I had 12 or 13 on P3. He qualified about .6 behind me. Second race I got by into first when the pole sitter overcooked T2 on the first lap. He finished back 7-8 seconds from me I think. @GOTMAXPOWER started on hards from the back, and caught me when he was on mediums (lap 11). If I could time travel, I would have started on hards, and may have pulled out a win, but if you need to battle up front, and guys with your pace are on mediums, you'll get killed. Sounds like the "new" penalty settings will make that scenario worse. Racing from the back? sounds like fun!
You raced me at a bad time, that was the best race I've driven all week :lol:. IIRC there were 4 laps in a row at 1:22.2, the tyres are surprisingly consistent if you try to look after the fronts. I don't like the mediums at the start, the hards seem to have a better balance so once they warm up the pace difference isn't too bad.

Three quick races at DTG this evening, again in the Genesis. The more I drive it, the more I'm enjoying it!

First race wasn't my best. Started 7th, down to 11th after 3 laps due to some questionable antics by a Ford GT sending me onto the grass, but I fought back on the last two laps and finished 7th.

Second race, Q13, some hectic racing but kept things clean and ended 11th, but CRB.

Third race, improved my Q time and got down to Q4. Slipped into 3rd on the first lap and had a sketchy moment on the 3rd lap where I basically ruined the guy in 2nds race when he overbraked the right hander in the chicane and I had a much cleaner inside line but way more speed. I held on and took 2nd place, but apologised to the guy after the race. One of those annoying situations where I couldn't really help it, unfortunately!!

And that looks to be the end of my racing here for a while. Wife is due to give birth tomorrow (definitely tomorrow, we're two weeks overdue!) so it's been great times guys, but its time for a hiatus from this guy.

All the best everyone. Enjoy the incoming FIA season and hope to be back before GT7 arrives!!

:cheers:

It’s official race c is very rammy just did the 5:30 race and it was dive after dive block at all costs I let 2 people go by before turn 2 because I knew what was coming dropping me back to 4th then the two I let buy crashed themselves out. Diving and blocking ended up 2nd in a pretty strong lobby.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back