Dakar 18 (PS4, XOne, PC) - Release date September 25 2018

• Thread starter er185es
  • 587 comments
I purchased the game on the PS Store a couple weeks ago and gave it my first try tonight (excitement building for Dakar starting in a few days!). Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I couldn’t figure out how to set up my Fanatec CSL Elite wheel in the game.
The game didn’t seem to recognize the wheel in the control menu and was treating it like a controller. I couldn’t map my paddles and pedals.
Has anyone else experienced this? My wheel works fine in all other racing titles I’ve tried it on..
Maybe the game simply doesn't support the use of gaming wheels yet? Which could be similar to the latest NFS: Heat.

Good to know! I will try using purple mode next time. Purple is typically used for ‘unsupported’ games.
I expected my hand brake to possibly not work, but would never have expected the wheel to not work.

I managed to get my CSL working with Dakar, in supported (blue) mode. I’m not sure what was causing the issue previously, but after changing button bindings around, it worked fine.
I was pleasantly surprised by the physics and graphics after reading reviews/posts from when the game first released. Maybe adjustments have been made via patches after release..
As for the gameplay, maybe not for me. I usually only have time to play for about 40 minutes at a time, and this game doesn’t lend itself to that. Definitely requires a lot of patience to learn the navigation, but I’ll give it another try.

I usually only have time to play for about 40 minutes at a time

There are a couple stages that take closer to an hour to finish. But you can save and exit at waypoints on the first two difficulty levels. On the hardest one you have to complete the stages in one sitting.

Last edited:
WARNING - I recently discovered that the problems with Deep Silver literally cancelled the upload of the game's 2nd major update. The guys at BigMoon had it pretty much 100% prepared but, since Deep Silver was not paying them what they signed, decided to not release it to hopefully change the minds of the Germans. Some bugs and roadbook problems I noticed back in October/November 2018 were never corrected so it is not unlikely that some specific wheels might not be usable at all.

Anyone know how well the T-GT wheel works with this game? I'd like to try it but I'd need to uninstall a couple of other games just to try, which I'd rather not do.

Anyone know how well the T-GT wheel works with this game? I'd like to try it but I'd need to uninstall a couple of other games just to try, which I'd rather not do.

Just to follow up on this. A new external drive allowed me to reinstall this to have a go with the T-GT.

On the plus side, it will work* and it's a real work out! It'll test the limits of stability of my home made rig! Had to increase the wheel rotation from 180 degree default before it felt sensible. It also allows the clutch to be used optionally when in gear to get a bit of slip - which is really useful when trying to get out of deep sand etc.

On the downside, the game refuses to map some buttons properly or actually recognise that I'm pressing them on the wheel, so I have to use the DS4 in combination with the wheel.

Anyway, it was fun. But it reminded me why I stopped playing the game in the first place! The navigator sucks, and I suck too much at the navigation myself.

Maybe it's because I'm too much of a fan of the real thing but I only needed like 50 minutes to "get" navigation and I don't think I've ever screwed it up again. I always play without the co-driver (I hated him so much I offered Paulo to record everything myself for no extra money), also without subtitles.
PS: I'm glad the clutch works alright, I guess it was one of the few things that didn't break during the porting of VPP from Unity to UnReal.

BTW, Benediktas Vanagas (the guy with the black HiLux V8) is posting onboard summaries of each stage. The first ones were each around 30 minutes long but now he has started uploading 60-minute ones. As a big fan of the race, it's incredibly interesting to watch.

I personally like the 2-head shot, the one where you can read the dashboard. Quite cool to see things like speed, RPM, the CAP, the odometer and more.

Next Dakar videogame announced. According to the comments on the Facebook post, it will include Dakar 2020 and 2021 editions. We will be able to create a own custom team. It will be out in late 2021.

https://facebook.com/dakarthegame

1608825907-132633341-3573181352765278-3881087859161998368-o.jpg

Last edited:
Next Dakar videogame announced. According to the comments on the Facebook post, it will include Dakar 2020 and 2021 editions. We will be able to create a own custom team. It will be out in late 2021.

https://facebook.com/dakarthegame

1608825907-132633341-3573181352765278-3881087859161998368-o.jpg
Reviews are pretty poor for dakar 18, its on big discount now on psn, ill check some gameplay maybe. Wondering if it's worth it, i like dr2 alot and wrc8. I love mudrunner also.
Edit: physics look pretty wonky.

Last edited:
Considering the scale of the game they didn't do too bad and if upgraded/redone to next gen could be a very good game.
Now that they operate under the Saber Interactive control things might be different.
For a better Dakar 18 experience,should the co-driver leave the car, run over him.

Last edited:
I've only just seen the news about the new game, in many ways Dakar 18 was a really bad game (vehicle physics, frame rate dropping, etc) but it was also one that was unique and had some really cool features, I put a load of hours into it, mostly in the Kamaz. With some extra polish it should make a really good game.

New Dakar 21 info:
- Longer stages: the scale will go from 1:33 to 1;25.
- Create your team, suit and vehicle decoration.
- Crossplay and dedicated servers and client.
- Improvements in AI: they can lost and we will find different categories during the stage.
- Physics redone from scratch.
- More than double the number of vehicles compared to Dakar18.

16sty2021193559.jpg

https://es.motorsport.com/esports/n...sion-pre-alpha-del-nuevo-videojuego-del-dakar

@tunaphis Yep but when I created the account, I didn't know it was a motorcycle. :lol:

Last edited:
If this game is as good as it looks,Could be time to get a PS5,Though the first screen shots of 18 looked amazing. Release date?
I'd have to check @er185es but I remember a crazy fellow who attempted Dakar on one of those bikes.

Last edited:
I'm hearing that the engine may be based on or related to the Spintires engine. Can anyone confirm? That would be a fantastic combination.

On sale for €4,99 in EU store! You get a fantastic navigation game for that price!

Maybe time for a 3 years later @Scaff ;)

Picked up this as well to replace my disc-version.

I picked it up on PlayStation and I enjoyed doing the tutorials but I've found it super difficult to figure out how to adjust for the turning circle of the vehicles in order to not run to the left or right of the next checkpoint. Especially if the previous one was at the top of a hill and you couldn't turn immediately because of the steepness of the drop on the other side. Because of this I knocked down the difficulty level to give me a directional arrow at all times but this feels too much like cheating and it wasn't as fun. I wish there was some sort of difficulty level inbetween those 2.

I picked it up on PlayStation and I enjoyed doing the tutorials but I've found it super difficult to figure out how to adjust for the turning circle of the vehicles in order to not run to the left or right of the next checkpoint. Especially if the previous one was at the top of a hill and you couldn't turn immediately because of the steepness of the drop on the other side. Because of this I knocked down the difficulty level to give me a directional arrow at all times but this feels too much like cheating and it wasn't as fun. I wish there was some sort of difficulty level inbetween those 2.

Navigation and adapting your speed is the key. Also, if you are on controller, knock down the sensitivity to 30-35.

Latest Posts

Back