Dakar Desert Rally (PS4, PS5, XOne, XSX, PC) - Release date 2022

• Thread starter er185es
  • 285 comments
I wonder who buys all these racing games like Dakar, MotoGP, Ride, etc? Even big name racers don't sell that much, how are these smaller devs keeping the lights on? You never hear anyone discuss these games in the real world or online, and yet they're still getting made yearly. Maybe a money laundering scheme that manages to stay low profile. Because who really buys and plays this?
Dakar isnt made yearly, despite having a title that sugest it, nor is Ride, there was 4 installement since 2015.

As for Motogp, its a lot more popular than you would guess and it doesnt have a triple A budget so I'm guessing they can make even money pretty easely, as most of the year, the change are 1-2 tracks, some liveries and the driver names. It's just like FIFA and NBA 2k games, Madden and the likes games, they just dont cost much to do and dont need a big team to do the change between the year unless you got a year like in F1 2022 games.

And they dont need new servers as they close the one from 2 year ago and put the new one instead of the old ones.

Last edited:
I had a lot of difficulty with Dakar 18, interpreting the notes and dividing every distance by 5 in my head to find the invisible waypoints, I would always miss some and lose. Of course, you can have visible waypoints like other racing games, but that makes the orienteering features less interesting (and disables most achievements).

Keep in mind "150 vehicles" is more like 15 with 135 PAINT JOBS.
Approximately unique vehicles are:
Bikes: Gas Gas 450 Rally, Hero 450 Rally, Honda CRF 450 Rally, Husqvarna FR 450 Rally, KTM 450 , Sherco TVS 450 RTM, Yamaha WR450F Rally
Total: 7 Bikes (although GasGas, Hero and Husqvarna are the same KTM model)

Quads: Yamaha Raptor 700 Hemi with 2 slightly different chassis

Cars: Borgward BX7 Evo, Century CR6, Ford Raptor RS Cross Country, Ford Raptor RS Cross Country T1+, Jefferies Dakar Rally «The Beast 3.0» , Jefferies Dakar Rally «The Beast 4.0» , Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross , MD Rally Sport Optimus Evo 3, MD Rally Sport Optimus Evo 4, Nissan Navara , Peugeot 3008 DKR , Sodicars BV2 , Ssangyong Korando DKR , Toyota Hilux , Toyota Hilux T1+, Prodrive BRX Hunter , Prodrive BRX Hunter T1+, SMG 2WD BUGGY.
Total: 18 cars

Light Prototypes/SSV: BRP Can-Am Maverick (a modified version of Sergei Kariakin's Can-Am XRS), Can-Am XRS, OT3, PH-Sport Zephyr , Polaris RZR 1000 Turbo , Polaris RZR Pro XP
Total: 6 vehicles

Trucks: Hino 500, Iveco PowerStar , Kamaz 43509 , Kamaz K5 435091, MAZ 5309RR , MAZ 6440RR, Praga V45 DKR, Renault C460 , Renault CBH 385 , Renault K520 , Tatra Phoenix
Total: 11 trucks

Total unique vehicles: 43 vehicles

Trailer looks good, the mixed terrain is a plus. I’ve never watched the Saudi Arabia Dakar, but was assuming most of the rally would be dunes.

I’ve never watched the Saudi Arabia Dakar, but was assuming most of the rally would be dunes.

Check out their 'best of' Photo Albums for this year... some breath-taking shots.

Approximately unique vehicles are:
Bikes: Gas Gas 450 Rally, Hero 450 Rally, Honda CRF 450 Rally, Husqvarna FR 450 Rally, KTM 450 , Sherco TVS 450 RTM, Yamaha WR450F Rally
Total: 7 Bikes (although GasGas, Hero and Husqvarna are the same KTM model)

Quads: Yamaha Raptor 700 Hemi with 2 slightly different chassis

Cars: Borgward BX7 Evo, Century CR6, Ford Raptor RS Cross Country, Ford Raptor RS Cross Country T1+, Jefferies Dakar Rally «The Beast 3.0» , Jefferies Dakar Rally «The Beast 4.0» , Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross , MD Rally Sport Optimus Evo 3, MD Rally Sport Optimus Evo 4, Nissan Navara , Peugeot 3008 DKR , Sodicars BV2 , Ssangyong Korando DKR , Toyota Hilux , Toyota Hilux T1+, Prodrive BRX Hunter , Prodrive BRX Hunter T1+, SMG 2WD BUGGY.
Total: 18 cars

Light Prototypes/SSV: BRP Can-Am Maverick (a modified version of Sergei Kariakin's Can-Am XRS), Can-Am XRS, OT3, PH-Sport Zephyr , Polaris RZR 1000 Turbo , Polaris RZR Pro XP
Total: 6 vehicles

Trucks: Hino 500, Iveco PowerStar , Kamaz 43509 , Kamaz K5 435091, MAZ 5309RR , MAZ 6440RR, Praga V45 DKR, Renault C460 , Renault CBH 385 , Renault K520 , Tatra Phoenix
Total: 11 trucks

Total unique vehicles: 43 vehicles
Then there are at least 3 extra vehicles (2 classics from the deluxe version/season pass so far and the Audi for pre-ordering).

Personally for me in a licenced racing game like this when you watch the real sport the driver list is more important than the car list, like the NASCAR games you have only 9 cars (3 in each series) but that is 110 drivers and has your favourites.

The one omission from the car list I can see is the X-Raid Mini's (buggy and car), hopefully those will be part of the DLC later on.

Check out their 'best of' Photo Albums for this year... some breath-taking shots.

It was really enjoyable watching this years event. Highlights coverage on their YouTube were good.

I wonder who buys all these racing games like Dakar, MotoGP, Ride, etc? Even big name racers don't sell that much, how are these smaller devs keeping the lights on? You never hear anyone discuss these games in the real world or online, and yet they're still getting made yearly. Maybe a money laundering scheme that manages to stay low profile. Because who really buys and plays this?
Last Dakar game was 2018, not quite yearly.

Judging from comments here maybe Dakar 18 is worth it for a low price?

Does it have manual clutch and H-shifter support?

From official Discord
Dakar_Gamescom_01.jpg

Build your own Rally Raid and road books, that bloody amazing!!!

Just in case anyone is wondering about the snow, back in 2020 the teams missed the snow in one location in Saudi by a matter of a few days, so it's not unrealistic.

Last edited:
I really can't wait for this 😍 I've had a hell of a good time with Dakar '18 and the new title seems to be a massive improvement and many fronts. The navigation is such an unique experience and I am ready to dive back into the world of waypoints ☺️🤟

Casual mode looks better than expected in the IGN footage, looks chaotic and fun. Like Dirt 5 rally raid races but far better.

Traxxion footage shows there is a Peugeot 205 T16 Grand Raid and Citreon 2CV Bi-bip 2 as unlockable.

I am looking forward to more updates/reviews, like how well will this perform on PS4 Pro.

If they’ve improved upon the Dakar 18’s issues, it should be pretty amazing in my opinion.

Back